Is there a need for an mobile player when you have a smartphone?

Is there a need for an mobile player when you have a smartphone?

'pends. What if your smartphone battery dies? Didn't think of that shit, did you?

I have the S7 Edge which last for the whole day of music unless I do more elaborate things.

Not if you have a good quality chinese phone with 4000+ mAh of battery.

If you have a shitty iPhone, well it beats carrying around a powerbrick

>having a smartphone
Cuck. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't want to be monitored by big brother all day every day. Buy a flip phone for calls only and carry a media player. I have an iPod classic 5th gen. Feels good man.

Once again

i stream my music from my computer to my phone. because of that i can not use a mobile music player. (besides DLNA, but they are probably expensive like ). i use subsonic with the DSub android app.

It's nice for running

yes

i just use my old (note 4) phone for music and my new one for everything else

>Is there a need for an mobile player when you have a smartphone?
There might be a need, yes.

But if you don't need one, then no.

sorry, I have a modern phone. Battery life is no longer an issue

>high resolution
>audio player

v20 uses a ES9218

+ it has a removable battery

+ microsd

it's the ultimate audiophile phone.

Oh God no. Please don't fall for Sup Forumss audio memes.

if it has a decent DAC no you dont.

my HTC M8 while old as fuck sounds amazing

I have a Clip+ as an audio player.
I think it is more convenient because it is super small; phone + headphone jack = huge.
I can also just browse with my phone, put it away and grab it again without a thick jack sticking out and a cable flopping around.

Also physical buttons for pause/play & next song etc is nice to have.

I keep an old 80GB ipod in my car just for the music. My phone doesn't have 60+ GB of space to give to just to music, the ipod does.

Smartphones have the worst audio quality. Get an album in 24bit 92khz and just listen to it with anything you already own. You'll hear the difference. Hardware specs that amps in smartphones like THD and signal to noise ratio cut back on that difference pretty drastically since quality can be very high. Higher than CD resolution or even analog vinyl. Get something with THD

this

We are talking about mobile devices here. To tell the difference while in a noisy area, probably even walking around. you would need to use headphones that would need an external amp to be properly driven. At this point you'd get a USB DAC for your phone anyways. Plus nobody who seriously listens to music would listen to 24bit audio on his phone because SD storage is still very expensive.

I used to do that, but then my iPod broke on me. I could fix it, but it was just easier to get an SD card lol.

ever used and HTC phone before?
the audio quality on the m8 easily rivals most daps and they are cheap now

It also comes with bootloops

The phones been out since August. You're wasting your energy.

Is there a need for smartphone when you have a mobile player?

I like that my mobile player doesn't require a monthly fee.

phone batteries used to last for weeks, and when they died you could just swap them out in like 5 seconds.

I just gave up having a removable battery, fucking sucks now. I thought at least I'd have wireless charging but I've got an unlocked model and only the AT&T edition has it. Phones suck these days.

It's definitely not all that convenient to use a Clip+. Off the top of my head I can think of these drawbacks to using it compared to a regular smartphone or literally any iPod except the Shuffle.

>navigation sucks
>reading microSD cards can be slow especially if you have a huge collection
>sound quality is not as good as flagship phones nowadays, you just get used to it
>the battery is shit unless you learn how to manage it
>charging is a pain in the ass because it uses MINI USB instead of micro USB like the rest of my devices

I personally think the best PMP would be any one of the following:

>an 80, 120, or 160GB iPod Classic
>a true DAP from the likes of Fiio or Cowon
>any flagship phone with over 3500mAh of battery life

Personally i just use my iPhone SE if I'm on the go and my MacBook Air or iPad mini if I'm on my desk

You might want to use legacy headphones.

Between the car and home/work there is always charger whiten reach. Even for a phone that lasts hours with continual use, who the fuck manages to let their battery run dry nowadays?

It's not fun being tethered.

This

Many lg bootloop specials took 12 months to fail.
Enjoy your gook crap.

>I-it'll happen I-I promise!

lol

I use a ipod classic because my music doesn't fit on any of my other devices :/ also you can playback FLAC and ALAC files so it's better sound quality..if that matters to you..standard MP3 compresses the file while FLAC and ALAC are lossless. ;)

we've been over this Sup Forums. FLAC doesn't _improve_ SQ but it only makes lessens the deterioration of digital music files in storage over time.

Remember to renew your files from time to time. That iPod uses flash storage, right? You might lose up to 32kbps a year on your files.

soon those flac files can sound like mp3 do to digital degradation

>audio quality
>battery
>storage
>physical buttons
>size

>over time.
lmao i bet he doesnt even know about rotational velocidensity, why do normies bother coming here

I miss the old Sup Forums - Technology

Still kinda lousy as a player. Lacks phone features and DSP (at least it has PEQ), lacks power that dedicated player output to have, lacks battery life as well.

>posters that don't understand audio

>audio quality
Too many DAPs with poor audio outputs
>battery
Smartphone power is barely taxed by music playback. They last far longer than most DAPs, save for a few cases.
>storage
Since storage slots aren't always a given, I suppose. Streaming services can offset that somewhat.
>physical buttons
They're nice.
>size
Too small players are more cumbersome with larger libraries. If it were larger, it wouldn't be so portable either. Eh, not sure.

assuming the file is directly from the original sure little to no difference but the preservation of the file over time makes a case for an obvious difference compared to MP3. That being said we're on the same page here.
A decent analogy would be the difference between a standard instrument cable to a Mogami gold or platinum...or an XLR cable.
So starting with the 1. Original instrument (Electric guitar..pick one) plugged into the mixer from 30ft of standard instrument cable as opposed to the 2. Original instrument into 5ft of of instrument cable into a DI box following 25 ft of XLR cable into the mixer.
The 1st would sound thin and the 2nd not so much..