Ive been lurking Sup Forums for a couple months now and decided to give Linux a shot...

Ive been lurking Sup Forums for a couple months now and decided to give Linux a shot. It seems like its a more suitable OS for me after reading all these posts.
What should I know/expect before I replace my Windows OS with Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1cyJsMbESYX
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

botnet

install TempleOS

>Create a partition
>install both
>

Stop double posting m00t

The only thing that will matter is your desktop environment. If you pick a subjectively shitty one, you'll go back to Windows.

Don't it's a meme os

>lurking Sup Forums for a couple months
Which you believe it gives you the entitlement to post?

Linux is not user friendly. Only use Linux if you are very adaptable or an advanced user.

Believe me

> thinks the posts on Sup Forums are good technical advice
Go back to lurking

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Make sure you have the drivers on hand. If the wifi drivers you need are proprietary it's a pain in the dick to get them. Tbh expect to fiddle with things, that's the main downside/draw to Linux is you end up messing with config files and using the command line a lot.

vocaroo.com/i/s1cyJsMbESYX

if you just internet like most people I think Linux is the best and easiest (assuming you use a good distro)

if you are into gaming even a bit it makes no sense to install Linux, you're just creating problems for yourself

>that pasta
your laptop is loud af
also, be my gf

Not really, there are quite a lot of good games that work on Linux.

and there are quit a lot of good games that don't, so it's not a good idea to run Linux if you are into computer games

I run linux, i do like games, but for all the graphics card/overclocked cpu kids who are INTO it, it would be a terrible idea

i am not into PC Gaming. I haven't had a computer that could play current PC games since 1997, even if I installed Windows I still couldn't play the new shit

if you are like a lot of the kids on Sup Forums with a >rig linux is just not a good choice of OS because you will run into prblems trying to play games eventually

I'm just being honest man, lots of impressionable kids who fall for the gpu passthrough/wine meme on Sup Forums I'm not gonna fucking lie and say Linux is a good OS for gaming

so, what was the DE that makes your ubuntu look exactly like windows?

If you want to play lots of new releases and AAA titles then linux isn't for you. However there are enough good titles that I don't think it's much of an issue to enjoy games and use linux, realistically how many games does your average individual play?

It's not really that bad though. It's not great but hardware is more of a limiting factor.

Who gave you entitlement ot post.

You don't strictly NEED to replace your windows. You can dual boot, which is easy as fuck on Ubuntu and mint (backup everything important anyway... Installing a OS is serious business and lots of things can go wrong

This is the dumbest Shit I have heard. It's easier to learn Ubuntu for a new user than Windows 10

Most distros come with everything included. Not every distribution is arch or debian

There are only a few thousand Linux games on steam

Replace? I'm a Linux user myself, but I wouldn't replace Windows. I'd clean up the Windows partition, defragment it, and when installing Linux resize the Windows partition so that a Linux fits next to it.