What is the best linux distro for a noob...

What is the best linux distro for a noob? I want something friendly for a windows babby but I also want to be a cyberpunk

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=What is the best linux distro for a noob?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I also want to be a cyberpunk
Install Gentoo

also which desktop environment?

>What is the best linux distro for a noob?

Install Ubuntu

>but I also want to be a cyberpunk

Install gentoo

what about linux mint

Linux Mint or something with Cinnamon is pretty easy for someone starting up coming from Windows. Sure, it isn't the greatest distro out there in my opinion, but it'll do for the time being. You're bound to distro-hop and test out different distros later on anyway.

Some other worthwhile recommendations: Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu, Xubuntu. If you want something that isn't dpkg/Debian based I'd try something like Manjaro or OpenSUSE. I'd normally also recommend Fedora, but since Workstation 25 made it hard to install the NVIDIA drivers I'd stay away from that for now.

Good luck.

Cinnamon for starters, KDE is pretty good, MATE is decent, GNOME is either love it or hate it, XFCE is ok. WM only shit like OpenBox and i3 is for the more advanced out there.

Literally don't bother

Only a pajeet on YouTube will tell you it's good and what has pajeet ever gotten right? Really makes you think...

What is a cool cyberpunkish, minimalist CLI-based desktop environment?

>but I also want to be a cyberpunk

Dont listen to this noobs install archlinux and go full retard with those minialistic window manager like i3, bspwm

ZorinOS for simplicity

Gentoo for cyberpunk

gentoo

Kubuntu. It looks and performs better than Ubuntu or Mint.

You're probably going to have the best luck with Ubuntu or Linux Mint. (You can also try some of the various flavors like Xubuntu, GNOME Ubuntu, etc. but some are poorly maintained.) Ubuntu is very easy to install, though a little bit bloated; Mint is based substantially on Ubuntu but uses a different DE and doesn't have the Canonical stuff like the Software Center.

The overriding concerns should be a simple install process and Windows-like GUI if you're very new. In regards to the cyberpunk cred, you can always install a different window manager and experiment if you'd like. You're better off learning how to install and configure a barebones WM on a babby-distro rather than trying your hand at a more advanced minimal distro.

why arch?

Solus is the best option if you actually care about good coding practice and properly modern design. But you're probably basic af so just install Ubuntu and open the cli whenever you want to feel edgy. Fuckin fuccboi

Alright OP here, so should I get Solus or Arch?

you have 4 options

1. Lubuntu
2. Xubuntu
3. Ubuntu Mate
4. Linux Mint Cinnamon

everyone else is trying to troll your stupid ass

>Install Ubuntu
Learn nothing

None of them. Use a minimal window manager if you want to be 1337.

I want to actually learn shit. Will I be completely lost with Arch?

read fucking books/manpages if you want to learn. the only thing you'll learn installing arch is how to install arch

so what's the problem with using it?

Are you an idiot?
lmgtfy.com/?q=What is the best linux distro for a noob?

nothing. just don't fall for the stupid fucking meme that you'll "learn linux" by installing it

googling it won't create a discussion on this imageboard tho

You are basically recommending Ubuntu, which at this point is pretty windows. The user base is beyond retarded.

Nothing at all if you're willing to do it.

People are just too used to saying these distros are for noobs and those distros are experienced users. But if you're motivated to do it then by all means don't let anyone here stop you.
I installed Gentoo when I started (before ever knowing it was a meme) because I liked it and was motivated to do so, and I was a total noob. Took me 3 attempts to get it right, but I learned a lot and was happy with it in the end.

I never installed arch though but I'm pretty sure that you would still indeed learn a lot faster by using it compared to using something like Ubuntu.

You might be right that it's not necessary, but having something kick you in the ass and force you to learn how to maintain your system without GUI tools is definitely going to make someone learn faster

so what makes one distro more noob-friendly than another?

Not him, but the difference is how easy it is mostly maintenance, and how difficult it is to install and set up.

Then it'll suit OP perfectly.

Whether or not it has an installer and whether or not they need to use a terminal to do things.

Package management is probably one of the biggest differences. Ubuntu has the closest ecosystem to windows in terms of 1 click installers, but all this does is teach you bad habits. Also as Others have stated noobs are scared of cli, so these distros do their best to skirt around this. In turn teaching not so much a bad habit, but just nothing at all.

what is making people say that gentoo is cyberpunk?
the only real cyberpunk os is windows 10

you can learn shit on Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a terminal just like any other distro, it's literally Linux

watch youtube videos, read etc if you want to learn

Ubuntu is the best choice because it has the most users and is leading the way, by far the largest Linux distro

when people call it noobuntu or say it's for normies it's because it's easy to use. That's not a bad thing, it's literally why it's better

Terry A. Davis uses Ubuntu ffs

>bad habits

no, just no. don't make a habit of using a distro with no userbase

the only 'habits' you get from choosing your distro based on how obscure and hip it is to Sup Forums kids is reinstalling your OS over and over again 12 times a year while people who chose Ubuntu or Mint move on with their lives and enjoy the programs that are readily available

nothing is stopping you from compiling programs from source if you use a "babby distro"

Linux is a bitch to learn IMO; though once you spend enough time on it becomes pretty easy to navigate.

I personally prefer Gnome desktop with Ubuntu

Literally Gentoo
(Actually use Funtoo though)

Why wear clothes when your outside?