To RAID 0 or RAID 1? That is the question

For is it better to have mirroring or striping? Alas, this miniscule case can only hold two drives -- 2 x HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724030ALE641 (0F17731) 3TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive (refurb/recert) -- and, although I'll be editing video and playing cs:go (or older) vidya gaemz while video renders, nothing is really "mission critical" (I can get by with two-day-old backups in the result of local drive failure) I think I'll just have cloud backup, so what do you think: RAID 0 or 1?

>also itt: raid general

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RAID
tweaktown.com/articles/6269/western-digital-red-4tb-hdd-raid-report/index3.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No RAID with nightly rsync cronjob. If you wanted speed you should have bought 2 SSD and done RAID 0.

So, RAID 1? No RAID whatsoever (just 6gb total available disk space)?

Should I even bother with RAID? I've never yet gotten to actually set up a RAID array before... I'll give it a try with RAID 0 (striping) just to get a *feel* for the speed before switching back to two normal drives (and maybe just sticking with it anyway) despite the speed being less than SSDs.

>btw -- protip: buy ssd today; price on chips going up

>...and then I read this to confirm what you said:
If you are considering going with RAID0 instead, besides the increases probability of data loss, the actual speed increase you're going to experience with desktop usage patterns is going to be minimal for HDDs (with SSDs it's a little different). Any speed increase you experience is most likely placebo effect.
>placebo effect

>^

I have a couple of HDD:s in RAID 1 to store my memes and some other images. The biggest plus is definitely that folders with a lot of files open fairly quickly. It's really convenient desu, especially since buying a 2tb RAID 1 setup with HDD's is still a lot cheaper than buying a 2tb SSD.

Pic related. I think that's the biggest folder with no subfolders that I have.

Why not two raid 0 in raid1 array?

My RAID0
x2 samsung 850 evo's

If he's video editing then a raid setup will most definitely help. My raid10 setup is miles faster than a single drive.

Mirroring with round robin.
Read speed, checksum, & resiliency.

for what you described, i really wouldn't recommend a RAID setup.

i wouldn't suggest that my mom set up a pair of hard drives i a RAID array. yes, technically it's an option for her, but she's not doing anything to justify it. neither are you. RAID 1 is a pretty costly way to half-ass backups (you want images with deltas so you can revert to a previous build, which RAID 1 doesn't do at all; it just gives you a reprieve if you have a hardware failure), and RAID 0 is a pretty substantial risk to improve the performance of stuff that you've already said isn't "mission critical".

but then again someone playing counter strike in 2016 is probably going to ignore the voice of reason and insist that he deserves to rice his shit out, so do whatever you want.

>doesn't know how to screenshot
Jesus.

If the OP is serious, he shouldn't do his video editing on a hard drive anyway. Even a small, reasonably fast 128GB SSD would
1) be a fuckload faster than a RAID 0 array of 2 HDDs, and
2) be plenty large as a "staging area" for videos and stuff that he's working on.

Or if you really want, you could get a fuckload of RAM, make a temporary RAMdisk, and go nuts on that. my test just maxed out at 2GB/s and i can't be bothered to run a test to measure higher speed potentials.

why not raid10,far2
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RAID

because RAID 10 gets you the same speed as straight up JBOD (1's performance penalty cancels out 0's advantage) and protection against exactly 1 kind of problem with the content on your hard drive. that is, you're only protected from a hardware failure.

and that shitty deal only costs you 4 times what an equivalent non-RAID setup would cost.

if you want speed, get a solid state drive. driving for speed with hard drives is retarded these days.

RAID 1 doesn't have a speed penalty, actually read speed is boosted (blocks are read from all drives at once kinda like in RAID 0).

>he shouldn't do his video editing on a hard drive anyway
People have been doing video editing for decades. Stop the meme as if the universe didn't exist before SSDs came along.

is the point of your post to look like a retard or what? i never said that this is a historically terrible way to do things. there used to be a time that people edited videos without computers at all.

but we live in 2016 now, where we have lots of different ways to do things. in this day and age, if you want to work with videos, using a hard drive to call up the video clips is stupid. even setting it up as a RAID array only makes sense in the most niche circumstances among video editors. just get a solid state drive.

this depends exclusively on the controller you're using. you should shop for this if you're looking for it; don't expect it to read from multiple drives otherwise.

certainly don't expect any lower end controller to do it unless it explicitly advertises it (which, for someone editing CS:GO videos, is probably what you're going to be looking at — either software RAID or integrated with the motherboard or something).

>thinking this is impressive

buy more and put them in a RAID6.

>
>because RAID 10 gets you the same speed as straight up JBOD (1's performance penalty cancels out 0's advantage)

Holy shit what the fuck am I reading?

tweaktown.com/articles/6269/western-digital-red-4tb-hdd-raid-report/index3.html

RAID has been used to boost IO since forfuckingever. I'd rather have a 12tb array made up of 6+ drives than two 6tb drives.

>raiding SSD
What's the point?

One SSD is already fast enough that it doesn't matter to get faster anymore

You're wrong pal.

Video files is one of the few things HDDs are good at, because they're large contiguous files which can be read quickly by the drive because it doesn't have to do seeking.

Seek time is what kills HDD performance.

>What's the point?
see

You can't do RAID10 with 2 drives.

RAID 1 doesn't have a performance penalty.

Did you even read what I quoted? He was saying raid10 gives you the same speed as JBODs.