Has anybody ever tried these multi cpu "workstation" motherboards...

has anybody ever tried these multi cpu "workstation" motherboards.I have always wondered if there is any benefits for like rendering or gaming on these things or our they just a meme

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kYH7eVp6r6I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

obviously a maymay, are you even trying

if you don't know why you need one, you don't need one.

Your parents work full-time to feed you now you want 2 i7's? Go fuck yourself.

lost

Hahaha correct response.

what about 4 core cpu

Running 2x x5650 right now.

Works great. Only downside is twice the noise from CPU fans.

You'll have to be more specific if you want to know deeper answers to performance. But I can tell you I can make meme webms like a fiend.

This. Around 200 bucks for processors + mobo is pretty hard to beat if you actually use the cores.

op here
thanks on the meme compliment my friend
i have 2 dell 2950s under my bed in trashbags that i haven't used that i got at a community collage for free wasnt sure on using them or selling them

>implying i7s have QPI
They suck, Asus server boards are notorious. If you need dual socket motherboards you should always go Supermicro. IPMI is botnet though

And then OP has to go and be retarded sporting 771 Xeons...

Intel boards are also fickle. I did have a hard time with a supermicro for 5650s though.

Massive benefits for rendering.

Some benefits for games. Those benefits should increase in the future as Directx 12 and Mantle become more utilized and refined.

For CPU bound tasks, having more CPU certainly helps like 3D rendering and video/audio editing

If you're looking towards gaming, you are wasting your money as most are video card dependent. It isn't like the 90's where you had single core CPUs and OS's that couldn't process schedule for shit.

I use a 12 core CPU on a single socket, but the idea in dual socket boards is the same - moar coars. Problem is that almost nothing takes advantage of these cores. I know a few things that do, but in most cases you're better off with something like a 4GHz 6 core or 8 core. on a single socket. Unless you're literally thinking of getting something like 2x22 core processors and you actually have something that scales up to 88 threads.

That depends on what you use, for example in Adobe Premiere my 12 core isn't that much better than a quad core i7 because fucktards at Adobe don't utilize all the threads properly.

Multi-socket motherboard configurations are designed towards production machines, heavy duty workstations, servers, and big computational shit.

They definitely have huge performance benefits however they don't just magically double or quadruple performance on everything you do.

If all you want to do is game or run basic multimedia stuff, it'd be a massive waste of money because nothing could take full advantage of the setup anyways.

>games can't take advantage of dual CPU motherboards

when will this meme die?

youtube.com/watch?v=kYH7eVp6r6I

Here is a list of games that should run well on a dual CPU system.

>Mantle
Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Civilization: Beyond Earth
Civilization: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Need for Speed Rivals
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2
Sniper Elite III
Star Citizen
Thief (2014 video game)

>Directx 12
Gears of War
Caffeine
Star Wars Battlefront
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Hitman
Ashes of the Singularity
Quantum Break
Total War: Warhammer
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Forza Motorsport 6: Apex
Halo 5: Forge
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Battlefield 1
Civilization VI
Watch Dogs 2

>Directx 11

Not as broad of support but some games make use of more than four cores and get little boosts here and there.

Crysis 3
Tomb Raider
Metal Gear Solid V (GZ and Phantom Pain)
Codemasters Racing Games

Probably several others out there.

I would personally recommend an i7 and switching hyperthreading on and off (or just leaving it on)

That's what I do with my laptop because I game but not as often as I use it as a DAW

It's not "workstation", it's just workstation. Those are workstation motherboards and just because you don't know why they are or what the term workstation encompasses doesn't mean you should "do this to it"

>Here is a list of games that should run well on a dual CPU system.

Run well? These games wont even max out a single i7, why whould you get any benefit from another cpu?

I haven't heard of many games utilizing more than 6 or maybe 8 threads in some very rare cases.

I've got a buddy who does a lot of 3D stuff, so he has a 2 CPU machine for rendering.

He has to disable his second CPU to play most games, since most games don't support it and will just outright crash.

Basically, unless you've got a work related reason it would be a total waste of money/time.

Doesn't jerry from barnacules nerdgasm have a dual CPU system with sli titan XPs? He made a video about the performance. Check it out.

useful if you've got enough work to keep all those extra cores busy

forget it for gaming since they're usually kinda low clock speeds - they're more for rendering jobs, hosting big databases, compiling huge shit like UE4 or chrome (or installing gentoo), etc

been eyeing one for my work but they're pretty expensive to buy everything new

i know one: gentoo

Consumers don't need anything more than a i7 6700K

>I dont know what Xeon E5s are

they're good at eating more power, pic related

I really doubt Doom 4 is NUMA aware.

Youre buddy is a retard. They run fine on a dual socket system, they just arent NUMA aware.

It isnt just about cores, more importantly RAM

I could run Arma on min settings at 1366x768 with a DL380 G5, dual x5460 xeon and a Radeon 5670 ($100 AUD)

Look, more CPUs doesn't just magically mean twice as much performance. The reality is that most applications are barely optimized for over 4 cores, let alone 8 so game performance is just terrible, assuming you even find drivers for your GPU.

Dual socket motherboards and server grade CPUs are made specifically for server tasks, something like virtualization where youre assigning 2 cores to one machine and 2 cores to another. Same thing with more RAM slots.