RAM thread

So how much RAM do you have?
Is this enough for you?
Do you want to have more RAM?
if yes how much?

I have 16BiG and want to get 32 GiB
(Yes i ran into the 16 GiB or RAM limit not with LOL pr0-GAYmin with specific aplicaitons)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IknbgnJLSRY
letmegooglethat.com/?q=whonix
whonix.org/wiki/Main_Page
whonix.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_(operating_system)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I WONT TELL YOU STUPID NSA NIGGER

>I WONT TELL YOU STUPID NSA NIGGER
LOL install gentoo, nice trolling.

Seriously are you this level of paranoid to tell your RAM capacity?
Why?

>Why?
WHY? YOU LITERALLY ASK WHY?
JUST WATCH IROBOT YOU NIGGER

>rambling about fictional show (I hink?)
>in all caps

Is this a new Sup Forums meme or do you need to go back to /x/ ?

Yeah just stay that little sheep. The government will be happy 'bout it :-)

2gb suits all my needs

buying used RAMS good idea?

No, they get full over time. Just really really slow, but after a few years the RAM is full and you can't do shit anymore. Not worth it desu

32gb. Do I need it? maybe not, but its that cheap nowadays having more is better.

24 GB. Started off with 2 x 4GB (G.SKILL Aries) sticks because "8 is more than anyone needs." Bullshit.

When the opportunity presented itself, added 2 x 18 GB (G.SKILL Sniper) sticks. Pretty comfy. Don't think I ever broke 20 GB, but I know I've exceeded 16 a few times.

And then ... I got into VM installs. So, yeah, 16 GB is pretty easy to exceed. Currently Win7 with linux & WinXP VMs & planning to change that around to SomeLinux Distroâ„¢ as the main with Other Things in VM some time after the holidays are over.

Managed to tweak the timings and got them all to work together at 1866 10-11-10-26, which is unexpected good luck with 4 mismatched sticks. Happy. Probably will stay happy until 2020 or 2021 at least. It's an fx8350 cruising along @ 4.3 GHz, currently with a GTX 770 ... so, doubt I'll scrap the system for maybe 10 years. Will probably build a new one and run this as a secondary for various utility services (firewall/router, email server, webserver, etc.).

Not much time & use for games these days, so I'm way overpowered at the moment, although it crunches through video encoding at quite the satisfactory rate for my modest needs.

I'm genuinely interested.
I known about big brother watching however how on earth can giving my RAM capacity dox me or something.

Model number or serial numbers I get.
However RAM capacity?

unless you are ruining a extremely non standard computer
>8TiB of RAM (cluster)
>2MiB (legacy PC)

This should not be a problem.
You are only giving information that will identify you to be one of 25% of the population.
Not a real problem.

On the other hand
Big brother is collecting every e-mail you have ever send over the INTERNET forever.
If you have unironicaly a g-mail you need to kill yourself.

I'm curious what is this
>IROBOT

Was he talking about "I Robot" the movie?
Or did he want to write Mr Robot?
Something else?

It's hard to tell form captain caps lock.

>2 x 18** GB (G.SKILL Sniper) sticks

** of course, 2 x 16

>Or did he want to write Mr Robot?
oh lol yes, I meant mr roboot

>of course, 2 x 16**

Or, was that 2 x 8 GB for a total of 16 GB?

Good night, Gracie.

Is this you captain caps lock?
Did you put down the crack pipe and started typing normally?

16Gb of some old 1333 Kingston RAM

I'm comfy with this and have never gone over 8

LOL IT FUCKIN DEPENDS M9

64GiB Samsung ECC memory in a Poweredge T620.
1333MHz @ 1.5V quad cannel with 1 CPU.

Want to take it to 128 double quad channel on 2 CPUs in the far future to maintain my VMs and ability to dedup them on disk.

>fell for the 32Gib meme

Stop using furrycocks then, OP

So how is google (shit) chrome these days?
7GiB on start up?

Seriously this browser is the biggest crap ware imaginable its like a fork bomb for your RAM.

There is no way to kill all the memory leaks in the separate process.
I prefer the FF model where you can simply kill the plugin-container and fix all of the shit.
Also FF takes WAY WAY WAY less RAM then chrome.

Use Chromium or Irdium.

>mr roboot
Can you elaborate how the gov can spay on you knowing you max RAM capacity?

not model number.
not frequency.
not manufacturer.
not serial number.
not RAM type.

only max capacity, elaborate this to me.

8gb on my gaymen machine and it runs everything at ultra 60+fps
RAM is a meme even for gaming

weird enough my workstation has 16gb
I don't know why though

I'm not using chrome, I'm only asking how much RAM chrome takes nowadays.

Seriously I have no idea.
And articles like
>All chrom users if you have more then 9 tabs you need to stop
Are peasant tier self torture

it seriously depends on what you are doing.
GAYms don't count, the devs will use the level of ram most users have not more.
Ever tried to torrent while you are on a live CD OS with nothing other then the RAM?

He's just rusing you, don't fall for his tricks.

4Gb would have been enough, but added 4Gb more for the dual channel meme

>Ever tried to torrent while you are on a live CD OS with nothing other then the RAM?
For what purpose

>Ever tried to torrent while you are on a live CD OS with nothing other then the RAM?
nice special use case for RAM
if I bought RAM for this situation I'd consider suicide

Multiple.

1) nothing is left on the machine
2) Try torrenting/downloading on a T1 connection where the SSD becomes a bottleneck and RAM is the best option.

32 Gib is only 4 GiB

>4Gb
That's only 0.5 GB.

>if I bought RAM for this situation I'd consider suicide

Why?
No elaborate, the operating system works as fast as possible if its only in ram with no SSD to slow it down.

You are torturing yourself if you are not having the most responsive browsing experience imaginable.

>

I'm currently rocking 64 Gib in my rig

64 Gib = 8 GiB
is a fair amount.

But you wouldn't need much to move you browser profile to RAM, I recommend using /dev/null to download stuff to RAM

For you

i know i saw this post
themoreyouknow

Look at them they don't know how to use computer words.
look at them they don't know the difference between bit and byte!

>For you
I'm a GiB guy

>/dev/null
Nigger plz

And are you having your OS + its temp files in ram?
Oh wait you did not think about it, did you.

8 M8. Until some time ago i had 16 (4*4). All corsair. Ddr3. One of the old pair became faulty. Didnt tackle down which since 8 turned to be fine as well. Mostly doin GIS. No gaymen.

If leave your computer on and have enough memory all the OS stuff remains in RAM

You sure you don't have 2 x 8 GB (G. SKILL (tm) Snipper ) ? ?

>So how much RAM do you have?
16gb
>Is this enough for you?
no
>Do you want to have more RAM?
yes
>if yes how much?
128gb would be optimal.

16 gram bits?
16 gram barns?

4GB minimum
8GB standard
16GB ghaym1ng/intensive programs for work or something

>4GB minimum
>8GB standard

True however I say that
32GiB is the top for intensive operations
GAYmen are not intensive BTW.

BTW someone remembers in 2014 the gay lord linux saying no one will ever need 64 processors to have more then 4GiB or RAMs?

youtu.be/IknbgnJLSRY

I have 32GB DDR3 which is built for 2400MHz @ 1.65V, but my processor defaults it to 1.5V @ 1333MHz.

Apparently if I overvolt the RAM to up the clockspeed, my CAS timings will go up (from 9-9-9-24 to 11-13-13-31).

I'm not sure what matters more in terms of performance. Is it worth it to overclock/overvolt my RAM if it causes my CAS timings to rise?

32gb
>Is this enough for you?
yup
not really
>if yes how much?
256gb sounds nice for the e-peen factor

256 GiB will be the minimum to run chrome in 2017

you mean firefox?

>2014
what the fuck
the
fuck

>firefox
>using ram
gave me a good laugh

stop projecting your chrome memes on firefox

No.
Chrome no plug ins only one tab on google.com.

12 GB sweet spot master race reporting.

>12
(You)

4gb

no

yes

need at least 16gb to do all my current needs

You know you can just run chrome with the single process flag right? It only uses one thread that way and all tabs can share memory. It's not a good idea from a security standpoint but works for people on a low budget who can't afford shit for RAM.

4GiB

>Is this enough for you?
Yes, I go over the 2GiB threshold once a week or so

No, but I want faster RAM. Does that count?

>You know you can
Let me stop you right here.
I don't use chrome and have no intension to.
I'm only asking people who use it.

its like asking
>How is browsing the web in 2017 on IE4?

> It's not a good idea from a security standpoi
Can you explain this? Is google this level of shit that they can no separate the memory in one chunk?

BTW
What is there to protect I use multiple separate browsers (all of them FF) for multiple tasks so one FF is for shit posting and crap
>Oh no Xhmaster can see what I'm shit posting on Sup Forums how terrible

and another FF for work
>Oh no my boss can see... ??? .... Himself? I only brows the official website

and another FF for personal
>You get the point

Is there even a problem of having security leaks in FF if the processes are not separated?

>Yes, I go over the 2GiB threshold once a week or so

What OS are you on and what are you doing on your computer?
If you go past 2GiB?

8gb ram
>barely ever get past 4GB threshold

It uses less than 1 gig for me (including all child processes)

160GB and I need more

Impossible I don't believe it.
I try chrome from time to time and the story is always the same you brows a little 8 tabs and then out of fucken nowhere complete browser freeze.

you look in task manager and google shit is eating tones of ram so the system dumps the fucker to the HDD taking everything to a crawl.

You close tabs yet it helps not with this memory leak of chrome.
The only solution is to close the browser entirety.

you can not blame JS/websites for it since I brows the same websites in FF and dont have this shit.
You can not blame plugging since i never install any plugging into chrome.
The only logical conclusion is that google made one peace of shit that leaks like insane.

you see the problem is not what the start up memory intake is, the real problem is what the memory footprint is after some time.

And you might not realize this after getting beaten by chrome for years however browsers are not supposed to chock on themselves and be unresponsive for 3 minutes every 8 minutes.
Its not normal.

test before buying, make the seller show you memtest and pull out the memory from the machine on which it was tested

>160GB and I need more

What exactly are you doing with 160 GiB?
And why do you need more?

Lots of VMs, and more for even more VMs.

I have 32gb of ram.

As an experiment, I disabled the page file.

About once every two weeks I "run out of memory" and system fails.

Looks like I really do utilize it. I average about 20-25gb of usage when working.

People on Sup Forums with 8gb just check their task manager and see that ram isn't full and post stupid shit like
>falling for 16gb ram meme

If you have a page file (which all windows installs do by default), you will NEVER run out of ram, and checking how much memory is allocated to the page file is such a pain in the ass in windows (need to open performance monitor and add the variable).

In short, average user should have at least 16gb of ram, checking task manager indicates little about if they're actually using more memory than they have ram or not.

Anyone on Sup Forums is full of shit, and you need to accurately view memory usage + page file usage to get an idea of how much memory you use, and then some.

Are the VMs running at the same time?
For what purposes are you using the VMs?

>Are the VMs running at the same time?
They mostly are, except for the vidya VMs which have to have the GPUs passed through to them, in which case only one is.

>For what purposes are you using the VMs?
Services? UPS, Network Management, WLAN management, Active Directory, SSL, DHCP, SMB, IP address management, SQL database, Windows management, NTP, OpenVPN, Plex, Tor, uTorrent, Backup software, VM management, password manager. Most of which are running two instances in failover clusters so when they go down for windows updates, i dont lose access to services.

Most of the RAM goes to the file server nodes which use 24GB each for dedup, 16GB each for the SQL database nodes, and 10GB each for the 3 vCenter nodes.

>I disabled the page file
>About once every two weeks I "run out of memory" and system fails.

Honest question, if you keep the page file would this not stop system crashes?
Like will windows use the page file even if you have 90% of RAM ready to go?
Is windows this level of retarded?

>Anyone on Sup Forums is full of shit
Sup Forums is full of kids who think they are elithaxxxorz for opening task manager in windows or using words (indirectly) like GB or RAM.

However you can instantly identify the 12 year old wannabe hacker shitposters and after a lot of shitposting from the 12 year olds elithHAX00Rs (who are only bumping the thread) you can get a good post like yours.

3GB on laptop, 4GB on desktop. Laptop is OK, desktop needs 4 gigs more.

>Services? UPS, Network Management, WLAN management, Active Directory, SSL, DHCP, SMB, IP address management, SQL database, Windows management, NTP, OpenVPN, Plex, Tor, uTorrent, Backup software, VM management, password manager.

Every in its own VM I understand?
What OS do you have on the VMs?

Also:
>UPS
??? the uninterrupted power supply needs a VM????

>password manager.
??? Why? How is the password management VM communication with other VMs? That need its passwords?

>Tor
OK I understand this.

>OpenVPN
Are you really ruining OpenVPN in its separate VM?
Is it using something like Whonix for the other VMs? It seams to be idiotic if it can not behave like Whonix. You have a VM with OpenVPN that has nothing else.

I Use VMs for all my profiles so that I stay nice and separated from my other stuff.
One for work, one for shit posting, one for personal, you get the idea.

>Every in its own VM I understand?
yes, technically two because as i said, clusters

>What OS do you have on the VMs?
Server 2016 Core whenever possible. vCenter, Cisco vWLC and Cisco Prime run linux.

>??? the uninterrupted power supply needs a VM????
yes, to shutdown the host when the battery runs low. see APC PowerChute Network Shutdown for Virtualization

>??? Why? How is the password management VM communication with other VMs? That need its passwords?
Its for storing passwords, like keypass but enterprise class. Zoho/ManageEngine Password Manager Pro.

>Are you really ruining OpenVPN in its separate VM?
It isnt a OpenVPN server but rather a client. It also runs Routing and Remote Access to do NAT, so I can just connect VMs to a port group/VLAN and they now have internet access via the VPN link rather than my home internet for torrenting and whatnot

>Whonix
fuck if i know what this is

>>Tor
>OK I understand this.
Also I have Tor setup similar to the OpenVPN link. You remember the bug/exploit in Tor from about a week or two ago with Firefox where it would send your IP, host name, user name, etc to some server in France? My setup would have been protected from this because the Firefox (Tor) VM doesnt have anyway to contact the public internet outside of Tor. Also it makes things easier for when I want another machien to use Tor, just to connect it to my Tor VLAN/port group

>T1 connection
Do you mean a t-carrier connection or did I get something terribly wrong?

>>Whonix
>fuck if i know what this is

Here you go
letmegooglethat.com/?q=whonix
whonix.org/wiki/Main_Page
whonix.org/

>whonix.org/wiki/Main_Page
>A heavily reconfigured Debian base is run inside multiple virtual machines, providing a substantial layer of protection from malware and IP leaks.
Sounds like the same thing im doing but with linux rather than windows

I have 32 gigs, but if I run
npm search

it still crashes with an out-of-memory exception

so I guess 64GiB is the minimum amount you need nowadays to do javascript development

my laptop came with a weird 6GB of RAM. Probably the only such laptop. Fucking Toshiba man.

>TOR
>it would send your IP, host name, user name, etc to some server in France?

Tor is a USA government botnet/VPN made by the USA gov for the USA gov. Only a complete idiot would think they are anonymous on TOR.

The gov finances the exit nodes, you using it is to obscure from others who the real USA agents is in other countries are.

I'm sing TOR to get some real obscure pirated stuff.
The gov tolerates pedos and other degenerates on their VPN because they help in obscuring their agents

>Be china
>see someone connecting to TOR
>Get the guy
>He is a USA agent! Success!

If the gov did not get pedos to use TOR all the time all over the world everyone who connected to TOR would be confirmed to be a USA agent.
However is the proportion of agent to pedo is 1:100 china is going to catch a lot of pedos (useless they are searching for USA agents not some fatso who jerks to pictures) and not a lot of agents.

Tor is funded by the us government, not developed by the us government.
The NSA secretly hates tor, the FBI public hates tor, and the CIA, well, probably appreciates being able to fund terrorist groups using it.

well then its a good thing im not in a china or a pedo or running an exit node

The point is if the USA gov has the exit nodes they can determine who did what on TOR.

Your anonymity is a illusion, I use it to get around websites who are anal with county blocking and to get freshly pirated stuff that some chans purge because the author is:
>OMG I'm selling this you guys!
>Do not seal!
I bet the author is sleeping with the administrators or some shit.

>The NSA secretly hates tor, the FBI public hates tor, and the CIA
This is what they want you to think.

>Tor is funded by the us government, not developed by the us government
Details, unimportant detail.
>I shoot you in the face
Vs
>I tell my bro to shoot you in the face

>good thing im not in a china or a pedo or running an exit node
Same here.
Anyone who thinks TOR is a heaven and get massively illegal stuff on it like drugs will simply be busted.

Is tails OS any good?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_(operating_system)

probably no compared to either my setup whonix. it was vulnerable to the explort which came out a week or two ago unless you had javascript disabled.

Was this exploit not only on windows?

Who runs TOR on windows?

>javascript disabled
I always disable javascript its a cancer that needs to die and be replaced by pure HTML variants.

>Was this exploit not only on windows?
yes although the linux version contained the sume vulnerability, it was just that the exploit code didnt bother to target it.

>I always disable javascript its a cancer that needs to die and be replaced by pure HTML variants.
Similar vulnerabilities could exist in other parts of Firefox such as image processing and do the same thing. Having your Tor VM on its own dedicated non-internet routable VLAN helps a lot with protecting your identity.

>yes although the linux version contained the sume vulnerability, it was just that the exploit code didnt bother to target it.

I did google it a little and it was talking about FF getting to system32 so was it a combination of windows and TOR.

Since on GNU there is no system32 its not a problem.
However I bet they can shell shock bash or have other crap the USA gov wrote into all GPL tools.

>VLAN helps a lot with protecting your identity.
The best option would be to have a hardware device that connects to TOR, no worries about exploits its a peace of hardware pretending to be a router while it pushes everything into TOR.

What's good RAM for overclocking? HyperX?

>system32
you really are this retarded aren't you? The javascript was calling functions in kernel32.dll which is just a library, just as there are on linux systems. the exploit was in firefox and present on linux versions as well. it just didnt target those versions because the author was lazy.

>The best option would be to have a hardware device that connects to TOR, no worries about exploits its a peace of hardware pretending to be a router while it pushes everything into TOR.
That is exactly what a VM doing NAT does

>That is exactly what a VM doing NAT does
NO!
a VM is virtual I'm talking about physical hardware.

If you think your VMs can not leak or have exploits you are naive.

>physical hardware doesnt have vulnerabilities and is somehow more secure than a virtualized environment
lol ok

???
If the physical hardware is compromised your virtual shit will be useless.

>lol ok
you literally need to be retarded to think this.
What do you think your VMs are? Some magic in cyberspace? They are programs, compromise the physical machine you can compromise everything on it.

There is a bigger possibility the shity programmers of your VM environment made a mistake or wrote exploits on the orders of the gov.

So a escalation of authority can be made where a exploit takes over
>your virtual OS
>uses exploit to take over the VM
>From compromised VM takes over the real OS
>Now you are fucked!

Not that you can not build in crap into the hardware however if you have shit on your hardware you are doomed and no VM in the world can save you.

you do realize that a fair amount of malware wont run in virtualized environments to make it more difficult to reverse engineer it?

So, you only have this computer to shitpost right

4GB is enough, 8GB is good, 16GB is great, 32GB is a meme