Ok Sup Forumsentoomen, installed arch today

Ok Sup Forumsentoomen, installed arch today.

> Laggy as hell
> Can't SSH into my remote server out of the box
> Gnome Terminal randomly refuses to start, hence screenfetch in XTerm
> Uses 300mb more ram at idle than my Debian Stable install I had previously

Convince me why I shouldn't just nuke the install and go back to Debian.

Gnome terminal won't start because you set your locale wrong, it's literally the first mistake people make and the first result in fucking Google. Faggot

The word randomly is key here, it starts occasionally, but sometimes just refuses. Locale is set to en_AU-UTF8, because thats where I live, what else should it be goddamn set to?

That is the whole point of Arch. Having something that creates weird errors and breaks in exciting new ways. It's for technical support enthusiast that like to spend their free time reading documentation. Why on earth would you install a experimental tech support emulator if you don't want to have it on your computer? Are you dumb?

nuke the install and go back to your mom vagina

>breaks
>exciting

Choose one

It is different for every installation. Try different locations until it can reliably boot up.

If you are too retarded for anything but debian stay there, newfag

>Laggy as hell
could it be wayland?

>Can't SSH into my remote server out of the box
you have to install it first

The goal of this distro is to teach a schoolkid Linux guts. After you solve you troubles, you'll know better how different parts of a desktop Linux work.

>Using Gnome
>Not using Arch Anywhere to install it

Sounds like you need to back to Windows if you're computer illiterate

>GNOME
You asked for it.

OP was not a winfag

it was a meme, just like gentoo, and you fell for it

anybody who actually uses his computer will be using ubuntu, fedora, redhat, or debian

ssh is not in arch by default?

openSSH server isn't pre installed

Did you run locale-gen?

CentOS.
Free desktop Ubuntu usually. Free workstation Fedora usually.
Free cloud Ubuntu usually, rest is Centos.
Paid is usually RHEL.

Love this pic

Unless you want something for an enterprise setting, is there really much point to CentOS any more? It made sense back when Fedora was a bit more bleeding edge/buggy, but these days I find Fedora very stable so it seems like all you're getting with CentOS now is an outdated distro. Or am I missing something?

Actually arch is my daily driver, I'm no l33tist and have been using linux for a long time. Expectations are key, you expected ssh to work out of the box, that is not the case with arch. If you run an ssh server you will need to manually enable it for starting at boot, there is no hand holding whatsoever. If you try to make a fat32 partition on a usb using disks you will find that you have to manually install dosfstools. Going from Debian to Arch is going to have you dealing with things that you never had to in Debian, ask yourself this; is arch what you really want.

Once arch is setup it is by far and away the best distro imho, have used Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/CentOS etc ad nauseum, on my childrens systems I use Ubuntu.

I would rather convince you to consider your motivations for installing arch than convince you to go back to Debian, although having said that, I really like Debian.

That's how you can tell the distro is not meant for any actual work.

Thank-you for sharing you incompetence. Since Arch is open source and free, you are also free to fix it.

It might be hard for a skid to digest but SSH server is not required for most jobs in the world

>fixing something that every other distro has already fixed because the Arch devs care more about looking cool than making something useful

Works fine on my machine, probably you don't know how to read a wiki

It might be hard for a dedicated ricer to digest, but most Linux distros go on servers and most servers are only ever accessed remotely.

The system is designed so you only have on there what you need, maybe you've no need for ssh, so why assume you will and bundle it with the base system? pacman -S openssh, systemctl start sshd, in less than 20 seconds you have a working openssh client and server, on with the work.

And how would you even access the shell remotely without ssh?

I'm sorry for not wasting time reading useless documentation and mediocre hacks to fix bugs and regressions that shouldn't be there. I'm sorry for having an actual job that forces me to not waste time fapping to underage drawn girls and pretending to be cool on the Internet.

God, I wish I was an Arch user. Being such a fucking loser sounds delightful.

By installing it, just as I gave instructions for in my post

Might not be so useless if it got your problem solved. Maybe you should fix yourself first.

But he said he can't ssh into a remote server with it. You don't need sshd for that you retard.

It really isn't for everyone, if you want a system that means you don't have to do things manually I won't hold it against you, linux is about choice, arch is a choice, but one of many

If you were deploying Arch on a server why didn't you install and configure OpenSSH in the first place, low IQ debibabby? LOL

>Talking about arch
>The system is designed

>bugs and regressions
Having an OpenSSH server maybe a debian thing, not having one is neither bug nor a regression

Okay, so install openssh and use ssh, this takes literally seconds, no need for a server. By installing openssh in arch you get the client and server packages

> Gnome Terminal randomly refuses to start
As far as I know, it's a GNOME bug, which isn't related to arch. I uninstalled gnome terminal the first day I installed arch and I use urxvt instead.

>debibabby? LOL
I'm glad you're a namefag or I would have taken your other posts semiseriously despite the mild autism in those

Neither openssh-server nor openssh-client is pre installed, debian comes with openssh client installed.

Sorry for the vague reference

>run out of argument
>try to divert topic
Clockwork

>run out of argument
>start name-calling
>get called out
>claim other person ran out of argument
Clockwork

>meta replies
ehehehehe even Sup Forums knows better last resorts than you.

Picture related, do it

im an arch user, and I get it ;) nice one

>Unless you want something for an enterprise setting, is there really much point to CentOS any more?
Yes. Home server that has to last even longer than Ubuntu LTS. But I'd use Ubuntu there. Easier. Unless you deal with RHEL servers already.
It's not very much intended for desktop usage. But it's very reliable and useable as one. If all you're doing is SSH, then you're probably better off with CentOS than with Fedora. Saves updating.
I find CentOS to be pretty great, personally. Just don't use it as a gaming OS.

Just consider what you'd give your mom & pop. Probably a Chromebook, but if it has to be a desktop and you don't want to be bothered by any kind of support. Then take a NUC, put CentOS on it and no questions for the next 10 years.

Hi. Why are you buttmad at these Debian users? Debian is very similar to Arch. Arch is no harder than Debian. If OP can't solve his Arch problem he's retarded, but to insinuate that he should go back to Debian is silly since if he can't figure out Arch he definitely can't figure out Debian.

Why the fuck would you use a rolling release distro for a server?

Why the fuck would you use a rolling release distro?

Desktop usage

Because I'm not computer illiterate

To have the latest packages.

Because he feels at home in debian

P1: Rolling release is not for servers
P2: Everybody not on rolling release is computer illiterate
C: Servers are for the computer illiterate

Arch users everybody. Mfw if you aren't an anime wallpaper desktop thread tripfag you're computer illiterate

arch is literally babby's first rolling distro, if you can't even get it to work you should just go back to noobuntu or winblows

Installing Arch as your first ever Linux distro is stupid. Its an opportunity to learn something about your system and is rewarded with distro, that is best tailored for your needs
Exactly

Only tech illiterates use ""LTS"" distros in desktops

This is not true, some users just want something that works well out of the box and don't want to learn, this is their choice, it doesn't make them tech illiterate.

Arch's website, forums etc are all powered by, drum roll pls...... Arch, so there you go, a rolling distro being used as a server, rather successfully I might add.

>Ok Sup Forumsentoomen, installed arch today.
>> Laggy as hell
install gentoo
>> Can't SSH into my remote server out of the box
install openssh and enable sshd
>> Gnome Terminal randomly refuses to start, hence screenfetch in XTerm
run locale-gen
>> Uses 300mb more ram at idle than my Debian Stable install I had previously
install gentoo
>Convince me why I shouldn't just nuke the install and go back to Debian.
debian a shit.

>picture
Is it legit?

KEK

>he fell for the Arch meme

Arch is literally a hobbyist distro.
It's not for daily use.

>gnome
also, using arch and expecting
>out of the box
are you even trying?

Pretty sure Arch purposefully uses a lot of ram since it caches stuff more frequently. What's the point of muh ram if you're not going to use it?

What if you use pc for hobbies?

Well, it's not.

>convince me
do you really need Sup Forums approval to go back to something you enjoyed?
my favourite meme is the part where people pretend linux distros are different aside from a package manager and some meme icon you get when you scrot