Pebble is dead

Confirmed: Fitbit is buying Pebble and shutting down the company.

Fucking hipster CEO.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.getpebble.com/2016/12/07/fitbit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this made me pretty sad senpai.

I need mine daily for my work and i also liked it's running tracker.

Jews ruin everything.

who cares, get a real watch instead. Why buy this toy when you can get a real watch for much less.

Shit sucks, but they're saying they'll not kill support or anything in the near future, and they're looking to let the community take over their cloud shit somehow.
In a way, I'm glad though. At least now I know I have a Pebble with the best screen and stuff, instead of being shat on by the Pebble Time 2.

yes trust me goyim i'm totally not going to make you pay subscription for Fitbit™ Cloud™

Ha, I fucking doubt Fitbit would do anything to support the Pebble actively. They won't maintain servers for it.

why did they buy it if they don't want to do anything with it?

They wanted the IPs, like their health tracking.

Which is why they're trying to give control to the community. RIP PEBBLE

Personally, I'd prefer a community driven app-store and stuff over Pebble's hellhole. Their apps kinda suck.

love my time round. At least it looks like a normal watch and not some bulky fucking wristband shit.

But why? It's not like they are in direct competition. Why spend the money?

probably wants to take over their e-paper tech

Pebble seems to have pretty accurate step tracking and heartrate tracking, among other "health" technology. They probably wanted that.
Maybe, but it's just a low power LCD. That's not really impressive.

Sad news, as I got the Pebble 2. now without support. I also preordered the core, I guess i'll get my money back after Eric got 6 month of interest out of it.

But I got what I deserved, just looking at the Indigo or Kickstarter frontpage (esp. the "Tech" category) screams "loser with a marketing idea and no clue how to build this shit".

Just this recent and very successful Kickstarter made them $15m dollars. How can you be $25m in debt after that? But yeah, don't sell your company to citizen for $740m, great idea mister CEO.

Shame. I was pretty excited for pebble time 2. Jews gonna Jews

Pebble's kickstarters seemed to be incredibly safe though. The first one obviously had a risk, but after that they already had a company and all that and only needed to change some factories around. That they got bought out is just bad luck and shitty.

Why would they spend all that money on a company purchase just to not use it? Doesn't make sense to me

>probably wants to take over their e-paper tech

Why not just buy a license?

alternatives to pebble core?

Cheaper to buy'em.

Why license it when you can shutdown a competitor and get the tech at the same time

Charge it back or you'll never see that money again.

>buying software
WTF isn't it just freertos?

Why do you think they won't use it?
The OS is some modified form of that I think, but they have some original software and technology.

freertos with proprietary shit on it and patents.

Does this mean that fitbit will release a product with similar battery life and something I can fucking swim with that doesnt look like a fucking rubber band?

Pebble is joining Fitbit
Fitbit has agreed to acquire key Pebble assets. Due to various factors, Pebble can no longer operate as an independent entity, and we have made the tough decision to shut down the company. The deal finalized today preserves as much of Pebble as possible.

Pebble is ceasing all hardware operations. We are no longer manufacturing, promoting, or selling any new products. Active Pebble models in the wild will continue to work.

Making Awesome Happen will live on at Fitbit. Much of our team and resources will join Fitbit to deliver new “moments of awesome” in future Fitbit products, developer tools, and experiences. As our transition progresses, we’ll have exciting new stories to tell and milestones to celebrate.

What you need to know
Pebble is no longer promoting, manufacturing, or selling any devices.
Pebble devices will continue to work as normal. No immediate changes to the Pebble user experience will happen at this time.
Pebble functionality or service quality may be reduced in the future.
Kickstarter backers will get refunds for any unfulfilled rewards by March 2017.
One-to-one Pebble support is no longer available.
Warranty support is no longer available for Pebble watches.
All unfulfilled pebble.com orders will be canceled and—if payment was taken—refunded.
Returns of pebble.com orders successfully completed before December 7, 2016 will be processed and refunded by our Support Team.
Pebble watches purchased at retail may be returned or exchanged based on the retailer’s return policy.
Pebblers can still find replacement charging cables and other compatible accessories (bands, skins, etc.) from Amazon.com and third-party vendors like GadgetWraps and Clockwork Synergy.
Developers have an exciting opportunity to reach and delight over 50 million users and counting.

isnt the fitbit company already losing money ? Why are they buying pebble ? since they wont support the product i suggest giving everything under a open source licence

>Pebble functionality or service quality may be reduced in the future.
This is the best line. Fuckers.

>Warranty support is no longer available for Pebble watches.
Isn't this a possible legal problem?

Kill yourself Eric, after giving my money back.

blog.getpebble.com/2016/12/07/fitbit/

Probably, even more so in the EU. I think they're just saying this to get less people asking about it, not nobody.