Why can't there be any DE looking like this?!

Why can't there be any DE looking like this?!

Other urls found in this thread:

androidarts.com/kawaiik/kawaiik.htm
androidarts.com/kawaiik/
androidarts.com/Amiga/SBC.htm
goldensoftware.com/products/surfer
youtube.com/watch?v=AmIZRNbkCKc
directfb.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Or this.

Install solus

I feel you OP. That shit is comfy as fuck.

CDE

Mmmm

Because looks > function.

If you had an OS that used as small of a footprint on the system as this people might not want to update to the new version.

Offices would still be using 400MHz machines on DOS if they could get away with it.

How is there no OS9 DE?

On a side note, what's the best mac I can get to run OS9?

>kawaiik
Please tell me that's an actual thing.

That's like asking what the best pc to run ME on would be.
Or what the best spoon to eat shit with would be.

androidarts.com/kawaiik/kawaiik.htm

'cause we aren't in the 90s anymore user

Because it looks like shit and you only like it because it's old and different.

That shit has no more function than any modern interface, if anything it has far less.

Not quite what I expected, still nice.

'member no ISIS?
'member no 9/11?
'member no government spying?

>Or what the best spoon to eat shit with would be.
The answer to that, I'm guessing, is "anything works". But new PCs can't install Windows ME so that doesn't make sense

Wha-What is this?
Where does one find it?

By that logic retro 90's UI should be making a comeback soon

Check out the file listing icons.
androidarts.com/kawaiik/
androidarts.com/Amiga/SBC.htm

Ah, thanks man.

>PootOS
Is this real?

This website is pretty neat.

You really need to ask yourself why, when there are so many available themes out there, that no one labours over making something like this. Could it be perhaps that the aesthetic, while the best available at the time, has actually been surpassed in both form and functionality?

Fuck off kevin.

I'd love the ever loving crap outta this... Someone really needs to work this in to like something cool\niche like portable rPis or something

>A E S T H E T I C

Because most people use screens with a resolution higher than QVGA?
I'm all for a minimal UI but it doesn't have to look ancient (I don't get why shit so much on flat design, it's the same concept as aestheticâ„¢ but doesn't look like crap with minimal bloat)

Ooo, I 'member! 'member no kevin?

omg amazing

Hopefully retro 90's anything makes a comeback soon.

Someone made a theme for MATE (i think) that looks like OS9 and has the control strip.
As for best PPC mac that can boot OS9, it depends. there are mods that allow it to run on the FW800 G4, but the non FW800 MDD is the highest one that it can run on without special tools. Put in a high end dual cpu and you have a nice system.

Hopefully le Windows 95 was the dawn of home computing meme doesn't ruin it.

interesting site

Its a shame it would be running ontop of X, its destined to be slow garbage.

You will never get lightening fast UI's like the Amiga.

Just install RISC OS

Isn't there some new alternative to X?

Wayland.

>Its a shame it would be running ontop of X
>what is Wayland

Because unlike you we don't have autism that acts up when ever something changes.

I'll be surprised if wayland has cool retro WMs like the ones OP posted

Except that most changes in the past decade were objectively shit. You don't need autism to be inclined to oppose decent things being swapped for shiny shit, do you.

What are the properties of , or that make them objectively better interfaces to, let's say, XP? Aesthetics don't count, as these are not objective.

also
>in the past decade
Win 7 came out 7 years and XP 15 years ago. Braindamages like W8 are much more recent.

With this much premade content, couldn't someone relatively easily make a theme in linux with this?

7 was just a bearable Vista. But a short intermezzo in the Vista/8/8.1/10 sea of garbage.

Holy fuck, that's beautiful

There might be issues since they're all pixelart of variable sizes. Also, I don't think any preexisting DE supports dual-state icons.

>The Xorg is slow meme
How to tell if someones never actually used linux and just regurgitates Sup Forums memes

I literally haven't touched anything but Linux in nearly half a decade.

It's slow for what it is. The Pi 1 shat the bed with just Openbox going.

Wayland is slower than X you fucking gooks.

The only fast graphics are done with direct hardware access thru a framebuffer via the kernel. That's it. That's why windows does that.

Alternatively, a single address space that you can poke pixels to directly. (memory mapped graphics with no context switching).

Good luck, unix faggots.

Alternatively, download AROS and start fucking coding.

Now imagine this in 1440p

Yeah, imagine it in a meme resolution.

Why the fuck don't we use TV standards like the old days

1. 720P
2. 1080P
3. 4k
4. 8k

Obviouly 3 and 4 are not anywhere near possible for 60fps at the moment.

Fuck sakes computers are shit nowadays.

1985: Chose a res. Pal or NTSC. DONE.

Woah, I've somehow only just realised that new windows versions serve absolutely no purpose for business employees who just need to use email / word processing / database access tools.

Is the whole reason businesses upgrade to keep getting security updates?

Why do businesses willing cuck themselves when they could save so much time and effort using debian or something instead? They'd save a tonne on training costs too because desktop environments don't change dramatically every new version.

>implying you could choose most of the time.

But I get your point. For all the talk of "just works" these days we sure do overcomplicate things.

Because monitors aren't TVs?

these look stylish and grey while xp looks like bozo the clown.
also i can say that the UX of mac os is way better and logical than of windows - spatial finder etc

Because there is nothing as powerful as excel on linux

that is the sole reason

The short answer is because most people think computers are a consumable, like the engine oil in a car or brake pads.

Ever heard a normie say that their computer is getting "worn out," or use language like that to describe how slow they get with Window's shitty "updates"?

lol, wut?

Clearly you are missing out on the core concepts being shown in this thread.

Don't you get it? 'monitors' are a fucking meme. There is no reason for them to exist.

an accounting trick known as depreciation

Why doesn't some company make some software that is then? If that's the sole reason, then surely they could make that software and licence it for less than the cost of windows + office, everyone switches to that, business save money and they would make millions.

patents

This combined with planned obsolescence and a little bit of swindling.

>Hey, that thing you have that still works perfectly mysteriously doesn't work perfectly any more, oh, but what's this? New hardware and software that WILL work perfectly.
>Better open that wallet.

I've had to use OS9 recently for work and moving/copying files and directories really sucks. The filename character limit really sucks. That it automatically changes characters to ... really sucks.

UI looks cool and I like the task switcher thing in the top right. Also why did Apple get rid of shading/rolling up windows in OS10

Because Microsoft will just break compatibility with that program forcing that developer to have to always be working on compatibility rather than actually improving the software until the FUD does it's job and they go under.

Business software is a meme.

Have a look a pic related.

Usually one or more of the executives are running a little scam where they lease the computers to the company through a second shell company for their own profit

Thus the 1 or 2 year replacement cycle for computers that really could last 10 years

What always surprises me about UIs of this era is how much they fit on to the screen. I have a 1024x768 screen on this laptop and I'd have to spend a long time making its real estate as efficient as that.

I don't think it's really fair to point the finger at LibreOffice entirely. I mean, it is free. Wordsworth was a commercial product.

Because company x already has 10 years of xlsx spreadsheets they aren't going to convert to your new software

The monitor meme covered by:
This is why standards matter. This is why using consumer (ie cheap and available) technology is smarter! There is no reason that an lcd 1080 or 730 TV shouldn't be used as a monitor. Many TVs now support frequency scaling beyond 240HZ using hardware--yet we fuck around with 24fps video being murdered by software/hardware rendering. Why not just directly dump it to the tv via memory mapped io? Oh yeah...cuz that was done in the 80s and isn't cool anymore.

I don't think businesses ever willingly upgrade. New windows versions are rarely installed just because. But when a new PC gets bought, I imagine they put the newest windows on that.
>business employees who just need to use email / word processing / database access tools.
I think this is an idea that we need to get rid of. Of course there's a lot of email reading/writing, word processing and database management. But you cannot make profits like that, there most often is some other software and it's where the actual productive things happen. I'm currently in an internship at a Geology company. We have a shitton of software which is special to our field, and it's proprietary and exclusive to windows (or at least I assume). Like the stuff at goldensoftware.com/products/surfer or ArcGIS. Or the program on our field laptops that is able to connect to the groundwater loggers in the field.

the pi 1 shat the bed with anything because it was a steaming pile of shit that couldn't even outrun a 20 year old MIPS chip

Most offices are sales oriented and sales staff just use salesforce, word, and excel pretty much

The most kawaii OS I've ever seen

some insight in this: youtube.com/watch?v=AmIZRNbkCKc
tl;dr the guy who's been doing accounting for 20 years is willing to only use the shitty proprietary software.

Not watched yet, but does he have a reason, or did he just go all babby duck over it?

He has a 40/5 connection what the fuck does he expect with a 5mbps upload?

That's a lot of accounting software. To put it in to context he could have sent 5 copies of War and Peace in that time.

>To put it in to context he could have sent 5 copies of War and Peace in that time.

Is that including all the overhead?

How can it possibly have 18MB of overhead? That should be the size of the software itself.

Plus if you listen he says it was trash even running on hardware.

GnuCash is pretty good

Someone should tell him

>pays $2,500 for software for accounting
>pays an accountant on top of that
>complains about money issues

Fucking idiot. He deserves his shitty software.

>the government can randomly say "you owe us money, unless you can prove otherwise."

Land of the "Free".

I don't even get why super high-resolution screens exist on computers, nor giant "monitors."

I mean, you're sat 2-3 feet from the screen.

That site is really fucking comfy

>implying you can't rice that

is he updating this site?

that looks very system 7-esque

one time years ago i themed up xfce to look reasonably close

>The only fast graphics are done with direct hardware access thru a framebuffer via the kernel.
directfb.net/

well that took a bit of effort

>HDfags will defend this.

Theme plz or it didn't happen.

thanks pham

Wayland is just a meme and poised to be worse performer in some regard.

IT actually looks good, the icons have a nice size, and you could just make the windows bigger.

Did that actually run on a 7mhz processor?

Wow, how did we end up here? It's not like modern word processors even have any significantly better features than old software did.

I wish modern software was still comfy and unbloated.