96 GB RAM

>96 GB RAM
How in the fuck is this possible? What does this even do? Is it noticeable? Or is this much RAM just never needed?

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T7500-2x-3-46GHz-Six-Core-X5690-96GB-RAM-1x-500GB-HD-Win10-Pro-CD-/182294834061?hash=item2a719e6b8d:g:OtgAAOSwA3dYIJBH&autorefresh=true

Other urls found in this thread:

jedec.org/standards-documents/dictionary/terms/mega-m-prefix-units-semiconductor-storage-capacity
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not even a lot desu

Oh fuck off.

You've never seen 128GB RAM before? That's been around for a very long time. Loser plebeian.

Yeah I mean people only use computers for gaymen and shitposting on anime image boards.

anons right though
when taking about high end workstations and servers, 96gb isnt much

128gb is the equivalent of 16gb in your average gaymer desktop

256gb being the overkill 32gb equivalent for that tier of work

>128gb is the equivalent of 16gb in your average gaymer desktop
I don't understand this. How is 112 GB just "Lol doesn't count!"???

>less than 100G RAM

look at this faggot

You can buy PCs with 1 TiB of RAM today.
Probably 2 TiB even, but I'm not up to date.

The parent post means that in high-end workstations, 128 GiB of RAM is pretty standard.
256 GiB of RAM is considered plenty.

In a PC? I'm not talking about servers here.

MMMMM...... RRRRRAAAAAAMMMMMM

You can build a PC with server components.
PC = Personal Computer.

A server isn't a PC?

As soon as it serves more than 1 person, no.

Some faggots hand-edit giant resolution pictures and video frames and shit. That needs to be loaded into RAM.
Other faggots do computations, data analysis on huge database, etc. Lots of people need RAM. This thing also has 24 powerful CPU threads, often need lots of RAM to keep them busy.

>What is a workstation?

Working in the vfx-industry, It's not uncommon. Mostly for dynamics, fur, cloth and other simulations.

Yes, I know what a PC is, thank you.

It says it has 12 x 8 GB. How does a motherboard have 12 RAM slots? Is that a thing? Have I been out of the loop that long?

Well I actually ask because I tend to have multiple browser tabs and programs open - generally images, Word, like 100 browser tabs, etc. And it can get pretty slow on my shit hand me down.

>TiB
Stop. It's actually TB this time.

No need to buy a dual CPU workstation with this much ECC just to fuck around LOL

You have extension pieces that split a socket in two.

How does it even fit? Motherboards are always so crammed with shit you can barely fit the cables inside.

There are computers that have 96 terabytes of RAM if you have the money for it.
These computers will not come with i7s, and will compile Gentoo quite fast.

So why be surprised by a motherboard with 12 RAM sluts?
It probably makes great sense for the people who want that much RAM. (Spinning up a bunch of VMs perhaps?)

>How does a motherboard have 12 RAM slots? Is that a thing? Have I been out of the loop that long?
16 slots have been available in workstations for at least a decade

>he thinks 96GB is a lot

> being this new

There have always been mobos with 16 slots. 8-8 in two rows.

It's not ordinary consumer shit though.

Alright, so if I'm building a PC - just a regular fucking computer, not a god damned server, how do I fit more than 8-32 GB in? Or is that even necessary? It's for playing games and browsing mostly.

12x8GB = 6 slots per socket, which is the standard for that architecture.

The picture
shows a desktop workstation, not a server.

Pic related, 24 slots for 1.5 TiB of RAM.

>1 TB DDR4

Your smartphone will have more in 2025

Literally not even that significant, there exist servers and workstations that can support +1TB of ECC registered memory on dual socket motherboards.

So basically just hunt for a MOBO that is set up for this? Also, is it even necessary? Will I find a MOBO like this for a normal processor? Is there even a point to doing this for a gaming computer?

Even JEDEC acknowledges SI units nowadays.[1]
They just don't use them yet.

[1] jedec.org/standards-documents/dictionary/terms/mega-m-prefix-units-semiconductor-storage-capacity

>Is there even a point to doing this for a gaming computer?
No, gaming computers get most of their speed from windowed cases and LEDs inside

sweet jesus thats a hell of a pc

>he doesn't have a sonic plushie inside his case

lulz

like if we are going to use KB for another measure

Now I can make my code even more bloated!

t. Pajeet.

>fuck boy discovers workstations and doesn't know what they're for
>haha, wow, why would you ever need 96GB of RAM nigga my gaymes run perfect on 8GB what are you doin lol
>reactionface.jpg

Now fuck off back to Sup Forums and stay there.

>what is ramdisk

>he doesn't run his server entirely in ram

>You can buy PCs with 1 TiB of RAM today.
I wonder how many people have actually configured 7910s and Z840s with 1TB of RAM.

Probably overvalued startups with venture capital funding to burn
or enterprises where a manager is the best buddy of a HP sales representative, and they split the commission

are you retarded? do you not understand how vms work?

I know who would buy it, I just wonder how many actually did. It's like 35k in RAM.

>1 terror bite of RAM

Holy shit.

I have 64GB ram in my desktop pc, it's more than enough.

>1000 dollars for an old as fuck workstation
Who is buying this? Almost as bad as the people buy 5,1 Mac Pros.

Dell's new midrange workstations have the option for a 12-core process and 256GB RAM.
Their high-end workstations have the option for 2x 18-core processors and 1TB RAM.

If I win the lottery, that's what I'm buying myself for shits and giggles.

Daily reminder this "kilo =/= 2^10" bullshit was pushed by hard drive manufacturers who want to sell us 1000000000 byte but not 1073741824 byte drives.

>why doesn't this play my games well???

>Run your VM entirely in /tmp