How do people keep stealing my credit card information if I never leave my wallet out and don't post my info online?

How do people keep stealing my credit card information if I never leave my wallet out and don't post my info online?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/thieves-can-guess-your-secret-visa-card-details-in-just-seconds/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They probably just keep randomly guessing.

How lucky am I that my credit cards have been guessed 3 times?

you canceled the card that was compromised right?

Obviously. How often is it that people don't notice this shit?

Then stop stealing your own card, you silly

Last month one of my cards I haven't used in over 12 months was compromised. I really am not sure how. Seems pretty common now-a-days.

Are you sure the bank personnel aren't at foul work here?

You have a girlfriend, right?

There's your answer.

>post on 4chins
>having gf

Nope

They steal it in real life too. My friend had his stolen by hotel staff in America.

Waiters at restaurants could write it down; anywhere where you physically hand your card to someone while paying is a compromising situation.

also, keep in mind that target hack a while back that used some exploit in their heating system to get into their transactions network shit and lead to thousands of credit cards being hijacked. using the card can cause it to be stored SOMEWHERE

They get it directly from the bank database. Or just an angry worker who stewlasn credit card details and sell them to others.

Not very from the looks of it

This, people in banks can get a lot of money for lots of credit card information and it's pretty much impossible to get caught.

Much better to cancel all credit cards and JUST have debit cards. At least suspicious transactions on debit cards are stopped before they happen. Because the bank have more to lose than a credit card company.

arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/thieves-can-guess-your-secret-visa-card-details-in-just-seconds/

Why the fuck did you still have an active card after 12 months? What bank allowed this? Six months of inactivity and my card deactivates until I want to use it again.

They can get your details from anyone, hotels, places you visited, somewhere you bought something. There is an rfid reader that you could carry around and reead the data from a card if it has paypass.

How to prevent recurring card-info theft:
>request a non-paypass card from your bank/provider
>Use your card to take cash from an ATM only, not for payments
> Try to use only ATMs of major banks, not some shady shitty back-alley ones (card readers, cameras, or fake panels can be installed on ATMs)

Also you can hack ATMs to print the details from each transaction.

>have two account on your online banking, one accessible via the card, one not. Put only the amount you need on your card
>check for outgoing monthly payments, cancel those that you might have set up via a service provider but not taken money yet (like paypal) I think it is direct debit in English but not sure now
>Do not share your details, from the first 6 digits you can get someone's bank,
>phishing e-mails
etc.

It is mostly good practice. I have never got my card details stolen. Oh yeah, if you cannot get a non-paypass card, get an aluminum cover or make one yourself.

You have identity theft and need to cooperate with your bank and your local court house to settle the case. If you've lost assets or money you may want to speak to an attorney as well as with somebody in the credit field to make sure your credit hasnt been damaged.

Good luck buddy, I've dealt with this.

In the Good Old Days, when we used the zic-zac machines to make paper transaction records, druggies would scavange through shop trash cans looking for the discarded counterfoils. Bonanza!

You may have swiped it into a card reader at the gas station or something.

what bank would waste resources to protect YOUR money? They're going to focus their efforts towards protecting credit accounts to keep THIER money safe

*swipes*

Remember that virus you got years ago? That just so happened to log your information when you bought that thing off that site.

Now factor in how many people in your country also have their information being logged, then imagine that all that information has to be processed by either a solo or small team.

Probably easier to make viruses than sift through thousands of characters of key log data just for one person, in a mountain of others.

Now it just so happens that none of your information has changed since your certain purchase on that day long ago, and now Mr. Hacker has finally sifted through to your log or moved down on the list of potential working numbers - then it happens.

Years in the making, that's the real threat of certain loggers. Sooner or later someone will access that information long after you've cleansed your system of any threat.

you probably have a homeless man living in your attic or wall cavities

This, plus the risk of skimming and cloning

>Much better to cancel all credit cards and JUST have debit cards. At least suspicious transactions on debit cards are stopped before they happen. Because the bank have more to lose than a credit card company.

You have this precisely backwards.

> Six months of inactivity and my card deactivates until I want to use it again.
Do all banks do this? i haven't used mine in almost 2 years... I'm scared to check with the bank and find out i'm in debt because of maintenance fees.

Sure, but for a bank with a debit card that is two sides of the same coin

No... A debit card without credit is better protected because a credit card that has transactions means lots of extra income