Overheating modem/router

The cisco modem/router that my ISP gave me is completely trash, the CPU's heatsink is too hot to touch and it disconnects/slows down frequently, usually when torrenting or playing a multiplayer game. Is it possible to connect a router to this modem and let this router do most of the work (like DHCP, routing tables and wireless) so the cisco modem CPU won't be a problem? I can't use bridge mode, would that be a problem? I don't know much about networking.

Other urls found in this thread:

dslreports.com/forum/r26747553-regarding-the-DPC3825
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Basically what I'm asking if it's possible to offload work to a router without bridge mode. Like wouldn't it have its own network 192.168.1.1 and the cisco modem 192.168.0.1?

Also what's this "double NAT" thing I'm reading about?

Do you have cable(DOCSIS), ADSL or fiber?

There's no point in recommending you a DOCSIS modem if you have ADSL or vice versa.

You probably have a modem/router combo unit. Most consumer routers also do NAT, so if you use 2, you will end up with a double NAT (e.g. if you need to forward a port, you need to do it twice on both devices). It will also help nothing with performance.

It MIGHT help if your modem has some kind of passthrough/bridge mode (i.e. it decodes the DOCSIS or ADSL stream, but does nothing else, everything else is handled by a router).

If ISP called Starmunn gave you this, then you are fucked for life, period.

Go suck Telias shitty Inteno router dick. Fucking piece of shit can't do 5GHz and to use another router you need to fucking forward ports by hand.
I fucking left them because of that shit and now i have to use that shitty starbox.
If it's given by Starman then go to their office and request EPC3940 you fucking faggot

OP,
here again, just checked my 3940 settings and it can be used in bridge mode at least, IDK if 3825 supports it, haven't used that myself.

No they locked it down, I'm probably just going to superglue (tiny amounts) a larger heatsink on this thing.

googling found this dslreports.com/forum/r26747553-regarding-the-DPC3825

so you'll probably need to call your ISP and let them put it into bridge mode.
my isp allows their version (EPC3825) to be put into bridge mode (found from local it forum)

The modem device is ISP property, you have no business doing any mods to it. You might as well go out and "mod" their CMTS. Just request to change if for something else, or switch ISPs.

They won't be able to tell if there's a larger heatsink inside the modem. They have no business giving me a defective router.

I have experience with a similar cisco modem/router. I eventually got fed of the shitty performance, especially concerning the wifi, so I went ahead and bought a better router and now use the cisco box just as a modem. You can put the modem into bridge mode which basically disables NAT so you can connect a separate router to it and have the cisco box function just as a modem. After doing this I haven't experienced any issues really.

if it's overheating, adding a larger passive heatsink isn't the smartest solution
just get a small usb powered fan and have it blow on the unit, it will make an enormous difference for any heat related issues

Install a water cooler.

yes user. Easy as fuck. Just plug it.

Oh boy OP, I have that one and it's just garbage.

I have a thomson router that would overheat. I fixed it by placing a usb powered 200mm fan on it.

How hard is to buy your own better router with integrated modem and steal the configuration from current one?

Or maybe tell them you want better router and force capitalism to do its work?

submerge it in mineral oil, fag

you know what to do

That doesn't work with FiOS it's got some kind of way of authenticating the router

>The cisco modem/router that my ISP gave me is completely trash

What?! A for-profit corporation fulfilled their obligations to you at minimal cost to themselves?

Upvoted, liked, +1, shared and retweeted. People need to hear about this.