/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC scores 181,434 on AnTuTu, tops Apple's A10 chipset
phonearena.com/news/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-835-SoC-scores-181434-on-AnTuTu-tops-Apples-A10-chipset_id88773

LG G6 to Have Nonremovable Battery and All-Glass Design
twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/806546233313460224

Bluetooth 5 spec has been finalized, brings 2x speed, 4x range compared to 4.2
gsmarena.com/bluetooth_5_spec_has_been_finalized_brings_2x_speed_4x_range_compared_to_42-news-22052.php

ZUK announces Android 7.0 Nougat update plans for the Z2 Pro and Z1
gsmarena.com/zuk_announces_android_70_nougat_update_plans_for_the_z2_pro_and_z1-news-22050.php

Exclusive: Galaxy S8 is not going to feature a 3.5mm headphone jack
sammobile.com/2016/12/06/exclusive-galaxy-s8-is-not-going-to-feature-a-3-5mm-headphone-jack/

[Deal Alert] Moto G4 on sale for $20-40 off via Motorola and other retailers
androidpolice.com/2016/12/07/deal-alert-moto-g4-sale-20-40-off-via-motorola-retailers/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.jak_linux.dns66
amazon.ca/Spigen-Wallet-Kickstand-Feature-Samsung/dp/B01A7ID8WQ
pastebin.com/EE9j049K
gizmochina.com/2016/12/07/zuk-slashes-price-zuk-z2-line-becomes-cheapest-sd-820-phones-money-can-buy/
verizonwireless.com/prepaid/smartphones/moto-g-play-droid-prepaid/
verizonwireless.com/smartphones/moto-z-play-droid/#sku=sku2130141
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How are the official cm 14 builds for the redmeme?

oh wow a thread about phones rofl

fuck off idiots!!!!

iPhone SE, or some sony xperia compact

Hey Sup Forums, what do you think about ZUK Z2? I'm afraid it will break after 6 months or less, also that plastic seems fragile

i think its so dope LMAO nice dude get it!!!

beside adblocking, customization, what should be the reason for me to root & install custom rom for my galaxy s7?

should I wait for nougat OTA?

yea

Why? I'm seriously thinking about buying one, user

>enable battery saving mode in android
>everything becomes snappy as fuck since animations are disabled
Why do they even exist?

idc phone shitter

You lose samsung pay if that matters to you

anyway for me to block ads without root?
also, is it possible to get back samsung pay if i return to stock
thanks senpai

Bad

Goodix is NOT supported
VoLTE is NOT supported
Camera and flashlight is still rather buggy.

I think AdAway still works rootless. Firefox + Ublock , AdGuard if all else fails.

DNS66

f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.jak_linux.dns66

I'm buying a phone based on if it has usb-c and headphone jack. Was planning on the S8 but the recent rumors got me spookt, Recommend me a phone that
>Has good camera
>sd card optional
>waterproofing optional
>usb-c
>headphone jack
>can shoot 1080p@60
V20 is too expensive rn, will it drop?

I had good success with Adguard and Newpipe for Youtube which the former uses a fake local VPN.

May as well forget usb-c and just get an S7. Can get them at cheaper prices now

considering it heavily, but I'm rocking this fucker until it dies so mini USB is gonna be obsolete by then

If anyone has ordered the OP3T now that it says shipping within 4 weeks have you gotten yours? Or is it really going to take that long if I order it

What is so bad about the mediakek processors ?

thanks for the adblock advise

so if I return to stock after root, would I be able to use android pay then?

>s8
>no headphone jack
This is it. Fortunately I Dont use Samsung phones, but Jesus fucking Christ I can't believe that the next time I look for a phone, I will have to make sure it has a headphone jack

What does spg think of Spiegen cases?
Looking at this one. I like the idea of a stand and getting rid of my wallet.
amazon.ca/Spigen-Wallet-Kickstand-Feature-Samsung/dp/B01A7ID8WQ

Was that rumor actually confirmed?

Theyre shit

Theyre slow

Theyre chink crap

But worst of all, they don't release binaries/source drivers = no custom Dev support what so ever

So I should avoid buying them as much as I avoid buying LG phones ?

Correct

Yes

So a new update came out for the Galaxy S5. Is it safe, or is it going to fuck up my battery life?

Hey is the znaps guy around?
Did they ever get back to you?

>200 bucks max
>sd card slot
>tmobile compatible
>decent camera

Moto G4.

I'm looking for a midrange/flagship smartphone (preferably stock but slight modifications are okay) that works with Sprint in the US and has at least 4-6 hours of SoT. I'm not sure which manufacturer to go with.

>HTC has been dead for a while
>The Google Pixel is overpriced
>LG phones bootloop
>Samsung phones burst into flames
>The rest are Chinese companies

Sony, Apple, and Motorola are probably the last remaining brands for you to look into desu

Here's a template for chinkphones:
pastebin.com/EE9j049K

I figured Motorola might be the one. Their original Moto G was good too me, although I broke it too soon...
How do the new Moto Gs fair?

>pastebin.com/EE9j049K
Not bad but no elephone? The P9000 has been a real step up for them. Perhaps because it's not available in the US?

Lol just buy some chink inmitations off ebay/Alibaba, only like 10 USD

Theyre ok

pls respons

from reading the reviews on the OP forums it seems the 4 weeks they say are the maximum timeframes, most people get their stuff within 2 weeks or so.

It'll be longer, knowing OnePlus

>Trusting Le sneaky philosopher
>ever
Good thing america respects our privacy. Right?

>privacy
>smartphone
>privacy

Shit, so CM is out of the question for my redmeme 3s. Getting kinda sick of the bloatware desu.

Are there any other ROMs working?

I think I paid 12 cad for two? I only remembered because I saw that user's posts

For two?

Wew lad I must've got chink'd, 12 aud for 1

I'm running the strix cm 13, v stable for me
using the nov 1 version
xposed, adaway, magisk + phh superuser

I usually update once a month & typing this out made me remember

I think they're based in canada senpaitachi

Help me out here lads.

I'm a britbong currently working in the US for a week and need a new phone before christmas as I'm away for 2 months from the 27th. I was going to order the OP3T to the UK but am sceptical about it arriving in time.

So, recommendations for a phone that is £400/$500 or less that has expandable storage, a decent screen and is readily available. Are there recommended brick and mortar stores in the US to walk in and buy unlocked phones? I know best buy does some but it seems like they're mostly mail order and I only have one free day while I'm here (in NYC), every other day I'll be in a different city so can't really rely on getting anything delivered.

Anything that's available in the UK too would be good.

cheers

I need a cheap Dual SIM Smartphone roughly 5.1" in size for my father.

For whatever reason he bought some random Korean phone off Amazon without me knowing and is dealing with a lot of issues regarding it. The phone has no LTE, not even 4G. Just 3G, despite him being on an LTE network with a data plan. Barely any app works because of this unless connected to WiFi. Can't root it either even with the chink botnet tools.

He only uses it for Facebook and Texting, and I want to get him into music streaming as well.

To give a general idea where he stands with technological intelligence, he thinks more hard drive space will make his laptop faster, and wants a 1 TB hard drive in his laptop despite him never downloading anything, and being stubborn about it.

I know I can fuck around with gsmarena and what not, just want to know what to avoid because I'm only really familiar with the high end smartphone market, not low budget dual sim.

I'd say just get him a Galaxy J series phone and turn on Easy Mode built into TouchJizz.

Can't speak for the chink phones or other options unless there's a third party Easy Mode Launcher out there.

Zuk z2 pro slashed by almost 90 USD for Christmas.

gizmochina.com/2016/12/07/zuk-slashes-price-zuk-z2-line-becomes-cheapest-sd-820-phones-money-can-buy/

Fuck, now that's some insane value. The z2 also got a price drop, making it cheaper than the redmis.

you mean strix cm 12?

>tfw can't figure out how/if I can control music playback my HTC 10 through bluetooth in my 2015 scion tc stereo

I can pair it but not choose what to play using the stereo. My old iPhone just werked

>third party easy mode launcher
Install Nova, put apps/widgets on screen, lock the interface?

oh 3s
my redmeme is the note 3

>2CLOCK
>C
>L
>O
>C
>K

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

or

LG Nexus 5x

neither

Why not zuk z2 pro?
Just saw a massive price drop.

>good camera
>super AMOLED display
>good battery life
>SD820 + 6GB ram
>already got a nougat update in the works with a beta available for testing
>nice design(subjective)
> ~300 usd

Moto Z play.

Why do you shill this in every thread? Post purchase rationalization?

Nexus.

>suggesting LG post G3
Enjoy having to buy a new phone in a couple of months

>every thread
Explain.

Also, why not?
It's a good device for the price, that's probably why it's popular here.

were you not here when the redmeme note 3 was the shiller's delight?

Care to elaborate? Out of these two Nexus is definitely better due to not having TouchJizz.

LG can't into soldering, and the 5X like other LG phones are notorious for spontaneously bootlooping and its a common issue.
My G4 just died this week and I'm bitter as fuck

Well, that sucks. I had a SGS3 which was laggy as hell and died right after warranty ended.
I also had Nexus 5 which was (and still is) buttery smooth, that's why I suggested a Nexus.

Maybe you're mistaking him with me. I shill my ZUK z2 (not pro) every thread bc it's price/value ratio is over 1488.
>Snapdragon 820
>3500 mAh
>64/4gb
>5" fHD
> 1 8 0 $

Tbh, note 4, 805 is miles better than 808 housefire

Updates are shit, you should get an unlocked one with plenty of custom TOMS

At least it won't bootloop

Best phones for 80 dollars or less?

What does /spg/ think about Cypher OS?

I'm probably gonna get shit for this, but BLACKBERRY PRIV.

xiaomi.eu's miui

Horrible build quality and terrible implementation of the 810.
Carriers dropped the phone altogether after getting so many returns.
Its time to accept that Blackberry is having its death knell.

> Horrible build quality
HAHAHAHA

Haven't noticed any glaring defects so far.

> terrible implementation of the 810.
Eh.

> Its time to accept that Blackberry is having its death knell.
LOL, NEVER

Keyboard is great, it uses Android 6.0.1, no glaring issues with build quality, rear camera has a smaller sensor size than the iPhone and the front camera isn't very good, but the rear is good enough and I don't take selfies because I'm not a huge fucking faggot.

What the hell does it mean by old software, anyways?

So does the moto G and or the plus work on verizon? it seems like a great middle ground but I'm getting conflicting reports on if it's supported by them or not.

Also, that review is over a year old.

You'd have to get it through Verizon in order for it to work with them, or a used one that works on their CDMA bands.

And it's $500 dollars from BlackBerry now. You could get it cheaper from other sources.

Honestly, the only problem I have with it is it's impossible to root.

It's OK mate, we all make mistakes.

What are the best brands for phone cases? I don't really give a shit about how my phone feels but i think it's prudent to protect my 500 dollar investment

Is Spigen any good?

That's the thing. Motorola claims it is compatible out of the box. but there are a lot of forum posts online saying Verizon claims it isn't. It could just be a older issue where they didn't have it in the data base. But i don't want to drop cash on a phone if it wont even work with the provider.

Is the Xiaomi Redimi Note 3 the best under 250 USD phone? A guy I know fucked up his other phone. All he does is browse reddit and read books on it, nothing else. He wanted a big ass 1080p screen and for it to be cheap.

Yes. spigen and nillkin are gr8.

Also wondering this.
Just ordered a wallet one that looks good.

Update on the mi5c?

how are tudia cases?
namely the "ultra tough omnix"

>big ass screen
Xiaomi Mi Max maybe? Pretty much same specs and price as the redmi note3 but has 6.44" screen and bigger battery. Also just got official cm14

faaaaaaag

looking for a xiaomi that can carry Verizon LTE sims. apparently the redmi 3 global editions can but i'm having trouble finding any.

any help?

Not familiar with them but they have good reviews.

No such thing. every phone has to be authorized by Verizon and they sure as shit won't whitelist any Xiaomi phone.

that's unfortunate. are there any decent phones under verizons coverage that aren't complete shit?

i kind of bought into the xiaomi meme, but i can just as easily get out of it

For that just buy direct from verizon that way you are guaranteed that the thing works, or your money back I guess.
verizonwireless.com/prepaid/smartphones/moto-g-play-droid-prepaid/

verizonwireless.com/smartphones/moto-z-play-droid/#sku=sku2130141

All these things fixed by installing radon or agni kernel

Anybody?

I want to be able to root it, too.