Electron based Apps or Native GUI apps?

Thoughts?

depends on the compatibility you want. obviously using web tech is going to be the easiest to run on different OS

Electron is a huge RAM hog... Open up Atom, Slack, Hyper (hey, some people use it) and suddenly all your RAM is gone.

The best option is to use Tcl/Tk or Qt for "native-ish".

> Qt
> Native

Not even close.

I love the way that Atom and Hyper look, along with how easy it is to customize them to your liking.

But holy shit the performance is shit. The programs run slower than comparable programs, they take up more space, and they take up more ram.

How is Qt not native?

It requires Qt library or your executable file will be YUGE just because it includes Qt.

Raw Xlib, my man.

That doesn't make it non native, just fat.

Yep, and that THICCness is just to make a Qt program to work with X Window system or Win32 API.
How come is that called native?

I kind of secretly wish more GUIs get built in electron and accelerated by something like node-ffi. That way, we'd actually get pretty cross-platform applications. I'm tired of cross-plat Java shit looking like Jabref.

>YUGE just because it includes Qt.
aka ~7mb

Remember, whenever you load electron, you load potential security holes, all kinds of codecs, stuff like MIDI interfaces, your own network stack, gigantic memory overhead for layouting and rendering, "security features", sensor functionality... etc....

install gentoo

As a user I hate electron, but as a dev I love it.

>Using a web browser to run a (((native))) app

Pure cancer
This shit enables incompetent dumb people to program

>but as a dev I love it.
t. web code artisan

>electron
no

Every electron based program I've ever used takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes to start up. And the developers always say "we just released an update that reduces startup times to almost nothing!" as they vigorously rub their nipples

By that logic basically all software is not native. These apps aren't native because they are just websites put in a window to make you think they are not.

Native, electron is a bloated piece of web dev trash.

>And the developers always say "we just released an update that reduces startup times to almost nothing!" as they vigorously rub their nipples
This is the main reason, tbqh.

electron is great for UI since that what html and javascript are meant for

It's a real shame that it includes a whole browser back-end with it instead of just an html parser and a javascript interpreter

>hyper text markup language
>ui
>text
dumb abyssposter

have fun using CSS without html

>cascade style sheets
It still tells nothing about UI.

Scripting language is still scripting labguage, it must serve its designated purpose - adding some interactivity upon the existing document. Anything greater than that is heresy.

>using HTML as a GUI toolkit
ayy

Using the webbrowser as a gui is not a bad idea. But why should i have an extra stripped down chromium when i already have a firefox installed?

Also node is fucking cancer. I cannot pour it into words how much i hate NPM.

Use Golang or python for something like this jesus

JS sucks ass.
We need something like an "open source" Sciter to beat the Electron meme.

depends on what result you want to accomplish, and how fast you are on Electon or any other framework.

so: give me swift/cocoa plz

>But holy shit the performance is shit. The programs run slower than comparable programs, they take up more space, and they take up more ram.

I have 96GB RAM in a dual socket 6-core Xeon machine and Atom still runs like a sack of shit