/FUG/ Friendly Unix Generals

Unix appreciation and support thread

Please no GNU/Linux posts ITT, only real Unix systems users welcome. List of Certified Unix Systems. Solaris , macOS, HP-UX ...

For a list of UNIX® Certified Products:

>opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

Have fun!

What OS you running, fellow Unixtards?

macOS Sierra here

>What OS you running, fellow Unixtards?
Windows 98

wat

OS X isn't Linux...

It's unix... please learn to read

I just bought a Lenovo x230. I'm going to switch to Linux from Windows for the first time in my life but I'm not sure which distro to choose.

I'm in comp sci and I know very basic shell/bash scripting. As of now I'm thinking Ubuntu. Any suggestions?

As this is a Unix thread I cannot recommend GNU/Linux as I do not use it

If you're looking for a free Unix OS, I recommend FreeBSD

I'm running MacOS on my rMBP, nice shit

I am not liking Windows 10 at all on my desktop though - is it worth trying to turn it into a hackintosh?
I hear there's problems.

That would be fine, but use Ubuntu Gnome to avoid annoying botnet and shitty themes

you're right; GNU's Not linux! My bad first time on this board

should have gotten x220 it runs real UNIX, osx

GNU's better and more accessible.

Just to make half of you fags happy I would choose Mac OS X but I come from a poor family and Tuition steals my money ;)

is this the new unix desktop thread?

Honestly, I don't want to buy an iMac with outdated hardware, wish I could easily build my own desktop and use macOS as a desktop OS. Looks like I don't have much of a choice though.

Nice Unix desktop.

Linux Mint >>>>> Ubuntu and it's even more user friendly

Me neither.
I honestly thought about selling this PC and getting an iMac/Mac Mini.
>outdated hardware
It's honestly not that bad. Sure, it's overpriced, but a standard i5, an SSD, and 8GB of RAM is enough for most computing tasks

Nice!

The other thread

Please go to this thread is about UNIX not GNU/Linux

thanks

Yeah sure, I don't do too much gaming, I just want an iMac with updated thunderbolt 3 ports (usb-c is the future). Honestly I'll get the next iMac when it updates.

> Trying this hard to impress other neckbearded fucks
> not installing an OS that just werks

kys

What the fuck is there to discuss about macs? It's closed source and it is what it fucking is.

shit b8

Where do technology illiterate mactoddler morons get the false impression that they or their fruity kids toys are welcome much less belong on a technology board?