Give me one (1) reason Debian with Xfce isn't the patrician's choice

Give me one (1) reason Debian with Xfce isn't the patrician's choice.

its for faggots like (You)

we got one (1) mactoddler over here

>2016
>Still using GNU plus Linux

Fedora XFCE is better

I've been running it forever but switched to arch and xfce on my laptop to check out the aur

Debian + cinnamon is also good.
Except cinnamon is still shit.

xubuntu is comfier.

I'll give you two:

Debian SUCKS.
Xfce SUCKS.

Ubuntu just werks and i3 is comfier.
XFCE is pretty nice though, as far as floating WMs go.

/thread

LXDE

I think that Gentoo is the first patrician choice, the second is Debian, it is for the cases when to use Gentoo is difficult.

anti-proprietary faggotry being annoying and hiding your options for no reason other than be annoying

>Debian
No

It simply works too well. Patricians don't like that kind of software

Because Gnome exists

>bubble ui
>optimized for tablets
it looks like shit with no options to for example turn off that shit page that opens in the top left corner

says the KDE shill

devuan plis.
debian now is shit.

debian is old and annoying

That softnet logo is some kind of joke, right?

Patrician's choice would be FreeBSD or something like that

shisutemu-dee

Because Debian with Cinnamon is better.

xfce is shit. apt is shit. Use a real distro.

like what, nigger?

Slackware, Gentoo, Crux.

Raspbian master race reporting in.

Arch Linux + GNOME 3

It looks like shit
also
>using a dock

Because xfce belongs to pic related.

I started using Debian a few years back solely because it pissed off the edgy Arch faggots here.
>hurr le Debian is an old man
>muh rolling release cancerous distro is fine because I don't have serious work to do on my computer anyways

>most people use debian as a rolling release (testing and unstable branch)
Unless of course you want to be stuck on kernel 3.16 which runs like shit on new hardware. Even slackware has a fairly recent kernel and they started the stability meme.

i3 is the best

>implying kernel swaps and tweaks are hard
I have a desktop i5 running Debian stable right now. All I use it for is libreoffice spreadsheets and JUICE apps. Why do I need testing for that? Audio apps need a stable environment...not a constantly changing one.

Because nobody says "patrician" as a complement.

Because it isn't 2010 anymore gramps. Solus exists now.

That's not Arch with i3

Okay, Kevin.

>xfce
a minimal wm setup like openbox+tint2 or i3 is better both by being lighter on resources and having more customization options

>debian
more breakage than arch (seriously), old packages, repos often missing some things I need, does weird stuff like pretending commands don't exist if you run them without sudo

still, it's not bad in general. both xfce and debian are okay, not great, but not the worst

>What is activities configurator

>not debian + retro WM

The way to I use Debian is to do a headless minimal install of stable. Change the kernel if you need be, then just add whatever repos you want to your sources.list. Still beats compiling everything. I don't go out and buy new pc's every year like a lot of anons though so I can see how compatibility is an issue for some.

>Slackware
>Real distro
Pick one

slackpkg is retarded compared to apt or emerge.

nice resolution pajeet

>990x557
Not even kevin actually installed solus

Never had hardware issues. Just stuff like an update breaking all my GTK stuff. Never really found a fix for that.

my top tier choices be like
fedora mate
centos with mate
opensuse with mate
ubuntu mate

ah. thats why I start with minimal stable and change repos as needed. In your case changing to a non-Debian repo for your GTK stuff would fix it and let you choose the version. If I don't need the latest version, I leave it alone and stable never breaks.

Literally who?

Neither did op.

I use Solus at home. I'm not home.
What's your point?

Pic related. Does this look like somewhere I'd have a pc I can just plug in and power on?

>inb4 laptop
Don't have one.

Debian + awesome reporting in.

Patricians don't use systemd
Patricians don't use Desktop Enviroments

Mate is the superior gtk DE. it's not even a fucking contest anymore.

I don't like Debians repo. It is pretty apparent their bread and butter is stable. There is a real disconnect and lack of packages between testing and stable, and I don't think you need a million apt pins on top of PPAa to get a good system. So I prefer arch since the AUR is nice.

I hear nice things about gentoo but I really don't have the patience to compile all my packages.

Is freeBSD a meme or is it really patrician?

I can't even get pkg to install

Debian improved == ubuntu
ubuntu improved == linux mint

Beyond the initial install which takes forever, compiling doesn't take that long on a modern CPU. Small packages actually seem to install faster.

Having fun yet?

dubs confirm freeBSD is ____

When the semester ends, I might give it a shot on my ThinkPad since Arch is shitting itself.

I don't think it is a big deal on my desktop, but my laptop is obviously a sandy bridge from 2011. I know there are bins for common things like Firefox, but the thought of having to download a package and compile it, particularly if I need it in the moment, turns me off. I'm open minded though. I hear portage is a magical wizard.

GNOME > XFCE

You didn't install it correctly. You forgot to set a hostname!

Figures only a retard with a laptop would use Fedora.

>debian
there

Who cares? Pretty hostnames when you don't need identifiable ones are for people who put appearance over work.

>debian and patrician in the same sentence

lol

Because Debian is shit.
XFCE is shit.
Your thread is shit.
You're shit.

>implying localhost isn't a good hostname

good luck hacking me if my hostname resolves to 127.0.0.1, faggot

nonfree software is never an option

fuck debian branding desu

systemd

/thread

It's begs for ricing.

systemd

Yeah I mean debian is pretty rock solid and has cool logo. But its annoying a bit. no ppa. no AUR. mostly old shit. forums and etc look like from 1994

I respect debian but bleh. I prefer arch or even ubuntu

Because Plasma 5 exists

the software is older than my x220

>57905068
(You)

>not using openSUSE Tumbleweed
Lmao

so you use nouveau?

Debian Jessie is old as fuck and doesn't support my laptop's wifi drivers or fucking trackpad natively. Maybe Stretch will be good for me, but Jessie is a fucking headache just to get set up

hi

This is the new desktop thread

i used to love debian until they switched to systemD, i still love debian and hope they make their OS "init system agnostic" so i can install it without systemD and select the older systemv or runit or whatever else there is, but until then i will stick with a non-systemD distro, please debian do the right thing (init system agnostic) let the users decide

Systemd is not bad at what it's suppose to do. Don't be mistaken. Some elites decided to meme the shit out of systemd and how it does too much and has too much control over the system. But the idea behind systemd was to make it easy for new people to switch sides (windows v. linux)