GTX 1060 vs RX 480

Whats better?

Is the 480 really going to dominate the 1060 within a year, because of Dx12?

1060 is cheaper, but the 480 has potential?

youtube.com/watch?v=23EpAY46PxI

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-23.html
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=373,370&sort=a8&r=8192,6144
ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=373,370&sort=a8&r=8192,6144
techpowerup.com/228447/amd-cripples-older-gcn-gpus-of-async-compute-support?cp=2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

9/10 pajeets think the 480 is best.

t. pajeet

1060 3gb is best for bang of buck.

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-23.html

2% difference in DX11 (favors 1060 GTX)

6% difference in DX12 (favors RX 480)

TL;DR get whatever's cheapest

Isn't the 4gb 480 cheaper than the 1060 where you live? I can't see the 480 needing more than 4gb of vram

oh shit I don't want to be a pajeet

I better buy an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 and play my games The Way They're Meant To Be Played!

They are within a 10% margin of difference.

Does it really matter which one is better and not cheaper?

This. Just buy whatever is cheapest, because you'll replace either card in a few years. The 1060 was $10 cheaper so I got it.

I really want to like the 480 but the price point is way too fucking high. The 8 GB version really needs to be closer to the neighborhood of $200-250, otherwise I'd rather go wtih the 6GB 1080 every time, edges out on chip performance and 6gb is still a reasonable amount of VRAM, and it's at the same pricepoint, if not cheaper.

What happened to the R9 390, the $300 card that fucking EMBARRASSED the 3.5GB meme70?

*6GB 1060, obviously

>What happened to the R9 390, the $300 card that fucking EMBARRASSED the 3.5GB meme70?
It didn't, because outside of RAM the 970 outperforms it

>What happened to the R9 390, the $300 card that fucking EMBARRASSED the 3.5GB meme70?
>card released later and more expensive outperforms older card

w o w

1060 is the cheapest and the only way to go.

DO IT FAGGOT.

Who gives a shit about $10 here or there? RX480 supports crossfire and freesync, nobody in their right mind would get a 1060 over the 480

Buy a NVIDIA GTX 1060.

When I went looking for a card it was a 480 or the NVIDIA GTX 1060, I went with the latter and couldn't be happier. Compared to the competitor the NVIDA GTX 1060 gives me the performance I need for games at my current resolution of 1080p. It was also the cheaper choice.

But, it doesn't? The 390 is faster in 80% of the games, and is now catching up to the 980.

>1060 is cheaper
I saw the FXF GTR 8GB RX 480 for 180 american shekels in the week of goy Friday. How is the 1060 cheaper than that? If so, then it's probably negligible. Even more so when you get freesync with AMD, so it's even cheaper on the longrun.

>FXF
Shit nigga, I'm not ok.

The NVIDIA GTX 1060 will draw less power then a 480. It will therefor pay for itself in electricity bill savings. Also consider the performance lead that the NVIDIA GTX 1060 has over the 480.

You should've bought it since, 480's cost around 270 shmeckles.

everywhere I looked the 480 was cheaper across the board

hell I've seen 8gb models go for less than 200 USD

where the fuck are you shopping?

Where the fuck are you shopping?

Why are these prices inversing so much?

depends on the purpose you want to use it for, faggot.

480 is the better card right now. The writing is on the wall. Anybody telling you otherwise is a fanboy or a shill.

>cheaper
>more powerful
>more vram
>gets better over time
>better drivers
>freesync
>crossfire
>free-as-in-freedom drivers on linux

Easy decision.

The only scenario where AMD beats Nvidia is fake benchmarks by Pajeets looking to make a new sale

t. shill

It's not even that far ahead anymore in DX11 and still losing on both Vulkan and DX 12. On power savings you won't see that much of a difference unless you keep the card for several years. You could also get really lucky and get the really good Polaris chips that go below 100W. Really, both of the cards are great buys, but I can't see why I would pick the 1060 over the 480 unless I was running Linux.

>US
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=373,370&sort=a8&r=8192,6144

>Canada
ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=373,370&sort=a8&r=8192,6144

shit's actually pretty toe to toe, which is an argument in favor of the 480 given that it's a better GPU in every measurable way.

I'm still cucked with a 970. If they ever give me the $30, then I got it for $200 flat on October last year. Not that bad considering it's still good for 1080p. I'd rather wait for Vega.

Do you care about future proofing your build? Rx480 considering it handles future tech better. Want your DX11 shit to run top tier performance? 1060

Nvidia will make their shit obsolete and tank performance through drivers to sell you the 1100 series.

RX480 will be supported just as well as they're handling the 200 series.

>Cheaper
not when you consider needing a better PSU and higher power bills just to keep up with AMD's spicy curry tech
lets not forget a new motherboard when you overclock your rx480 and fry it
>more powerful
cite anything thats not a game paid off by AMD themselves, go ahead
>more vram
MOAR CORES
MOAR VRAM
remember how a 3.5gb gtx 970 killed anything AMD had and they needed 300w housefires to beat it?
>gets better over time
>le just wait itll be good meme

>better drivers
Maximum AMDelusion

>freesync
>crossfire
>free-as-in-freedom drivers on linux
Who gives a shit?

Let's sum up using Sup Forums logic and reality aight? I'll start with Sup Forums logic.

480RX:
+ Cheaper when looking at MSRP
+ It's AMD
+ It's not Nvidia.
+ It has async and few other changes which make it waaay faster in DX12.
+ It has an anime girl advertising the card.
+ Have I mentioned it's AMD?
+ It's gonna beat Nvidia counterparts 2 years down the lane cuz of my driver support

1060 GTX:
- It's Nvidia so they will definitely gimp it
- It's not AMD
- It has no cute anime girl
- It's more expensive when looking at MSRP
- It sucks in DX12 yielding no performance gains.
- Have I mentioned it's Nvidia?
- Housefire.

>writing on the wall
>480 loses almost all benchmarks

HAHA
when will pajeets ever learn.

I picked up a 480 because AMD's drivers are loads better than Nvidia's. I can't remember the last time Nvidia had a decent driver. I've seen 470's on sale for 150ish and I'm thinking about buying one of those to upgrade another rig I have in the house here. The 1060 looks good but I have an old 7950 that still trucks along and has gotten better with drivers. It's an old ass card and is still relevant compared to two generations of Nvidia models from then. If you still aren't sure check the used market. Lots of folks selling off 960's for 80-100 bucks and 970's on the cheap too. AMD cards seem to hold more of premium used so YMMV.

You forgot some nvidia memes
>- wood screws
>- 1.7% yields

>not when you consider needing a better PSU and higher power bills just to keep up with AMD's spicy curry tech
oh my god nigga a whopping 10 watts more at full load

>cite anything thats not a game paid off by AMD themselves, go ahead
says the gameworks fanboy. pure delusion

>remember how a 3.5gb gtx 970 killed anything AMD had and they needed 300w housefires to beat it?
I remember how the 390 completely and utterly shit all over it

and now the one single thing nvidia did better (power efficiency) is gone thanks to Polaris™

>le just wait itll be good meme
this was demonstrated true literally 3 posts into this thread

the nvidiot coping mechanism is to ignore truth and invent shit

>Maximum AMDelusion
enjoy your broken updates that cripple your GPU to 25% performance and can't be rolled back

>Who gives a shit?
smart, mature, knowledgeable people

but you wouldn't know

>keeping your card for more than 2 years.

I bet you only change your underwear once a week too.

looks like reality to me

looks like same-fagging to me.

>3.5 gb vram
>Geforce Experience powered by Facebook
>wood screws
>rebadged pascal chips as "new line of GPUs"
>1200$ titans
thanks you slit eyed gooks

enjoy your 30fps loss in any game from new drivers for your nvidia card in one year.
my nvidia control panel no longer lets me change my global anti aliasing settings, fuck everything about nvidia above the 700 series.

>2016
>still think NVIDIA drivers are good.

This isn't 2010-2013

>gtx970
>killing anything but its own performance with missing VRAM
my sides are in fucking orbit
i wanted to get a 970 at launch for 1440p 144hz gaming and i waited a month and saved myself 500$, and still get 144fps in rocket league with a gtx760

Thats an assumption.

These are all assumptions.

the GTX gives results now.

You guys are betting on 1060 will become shittier in 2 years before the 480.

GUESS WHAT.

you'll find out the will both depreciate almost the same in the years, and you will realize you could be enjoying yourself now with a 1060.

my geforce control panel relinquishing any control from me over anti aliasing options is NOT AN ASSUMPTION.
all you have to do is google "roll back drivers for dark souls 3" you fucking IDIOT

>The 390 is faster in 80% of the games,

maybe if you compare the 390 (which is a factory OCed 290) to a reference 970. if you compare them like-for-like the 970 takes a shit on the 390, all while using half the power to do so.

my friends hd5850 runs like fine wine when he plays new AMD optimized games like dirt rally, just eat shit and shut up

Now let's sum both cards using reality and actual gameplay uploaded on youtube.

480RX:
- Still attached to bad history of AMD which during 200-300 series had a failure rate two timers larger than Nvidia.
- It cannot OC which can be a bad or a good thing. If you're illiterate moron you probably shouldn't OC AMD cards anyway cuz they can break so easily. You get what you get and you won't have any extra juice out of it while being luckly if you gain something like 2%.
- Runs hot, pretty much every respectable benchmark out there showed that Nitro reaches 70+ degrees under load. I'm not gonna mention blower style cards cuz it wouldn't be even close call. (but 75 degrees is nothing! - It's still more than Nvidia)
- Has decent driver support at least when compared to AMD from 2-5 years ago. Still miles behind Nvidia. You get an update once every 2-3 months and you pray to god it works.
- Decent 480RX costs as much as any decent 1060 gtx.
- Switching to DX12 yielded big improvements in a single title. 2-3 fps improvements in few titles (BF1, Rise of Tomb Raider) and no improvement in the remaining ones.
- Still behind 1060 in DX11 in every respectable benchmark with the exception of some Youtube Pajeets that pray to Raja Curry.
- Vulkan is DOA receiving support in 6 games so far (Even Mantle had more)

1060 GTX:
- Has a stronger brand recognition
- Better non-reference manufacturers (MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, Palit, Gainward. On the side of AMD you only have Sapphire)
- Costs the same while providing better results in 95% of DX11 titles thus in 95% of available games.
- Yields no improvement in DX12, sometimes even runs worse than in DX11 (BF1) which makes it a risky investment for the future if you're a poorfag and want to have a card that lasts you 3-4 years.
- Runs cooler (

amd drivers are shit

lol okay, what ever you think , bud :)

AyyMD is known for artificially gimping their older cards, avoid AyyMD HOUSEFIRES at any cost.
techpowerup.com/228447/amd-cripples-older-gcn-gpus-of-async-compute-support?cp=2

Buy the cheaper 1060. In time dx12/actually becomes a thing you buy an Nvidia again because they will then destroy AMD.

460 2gb for light photoshop? Will it be "futureproof"

The 5850 isn't even a GCN card so it's every bit as outdated as an Nvidia card from the same generation, probably more so

It's only GCN based AMD GPUs that are based

future proofing is the biggest meme.

I remember back in 2002 and amd released the 64 athlon, people bought because of the 64bit software that will come out for it.

14 years later.

I still use 32bit programs.

Never buy anything with the argument that it will be better "later".

>I still use 32bit programs.
do you have some special needs? 90% of necessary software went x64

His 1 percentile work helps him make a point against AMD.

what i'm trying to convey, is by the time 64bit went mainstream, that processor was outclassed so much it didn't make sense to keep it.

>smart, mature, knowledgeable people, you wouldnt understand
*cringe*

>HAHAHA 3.5!!!

it was still the best midrange card at the time and AMD took 2 years to copy it with Poolaris

keep crying about irrelevant shit Pajeet

1060, easy choice.

>6-7% difference

don't listen to the fanboys

whatever is cheapest.

in this case the 1060

>you could be enjoying yourself now with a 1060
you fucking r selected normalfag

more and more sites are doing a re test on both and well the results arent really good for 1060...

>buying a 1060 or 480 for 1080p
>not buying a 470 for better $/perf

shiggydiggy

Even VLIW aged quite well. I used to use an 6850 up until Jan. 2016 and it worked pretty well at medium/low for most games. My last nVidia card, a 6800 aged pretty badly as far as I recall and I remember ending up with less performance in games I kept play for a long time over its lifetime (mostly Urban Terror and Nexuiz at that time).

thats why i got mine, that and power constraints

i got my 1060 for a good £50 less than the equivelant 480

They're both poorfag card bought by people who don't throw $300+ every year or two at the mid-high brackets on up.

As such, it boils down to whether you're willing to have your card gradually underperform its erstwhile competitor (1060) or whether you're OK having moderately higher power consumption for the entire life of the card (480).

Of course, if Vega is a major architectural departure from older GCN and is good enough to sell a lot of units, 480 owners could get screwed by lack of driver optimization efforts in the future too.

AMD has always gone with brute force silicon designs at the cost of power consumption, where Nvidia maintains the appearance of efficiency by tweaking the shit out of their drivers, for the newest generation at least.

Nvidia's is probably a smarter business model.

> t. Kepler owner

Eat a dick mouth breather. you know im right.

what results is that faggot?

>because of Dx12?
nothing out runs dx12 properly
so don't bother.

No, it's just that nVidia directly or indirectly gimps older cards via driver performance.

>AMD has always gone with brute force silicon designs at the cost of power consumption, where Nvidia maintains the appearance of efficiency
Not really true, look at the 6800 Ultra, 8800GTX, GTX 280, 480 and 580. Nvidia used to always push (and technically still does with Titan) much larger pieces of silicon than AMD does.

No, it's that Nvidia finds new and exciting ways of selling weaker silicon as better or equivalent products, which requires a massive continuous software effort.

When the install base for an old card dries up (or just a new gen comes out), they simply quit trying to optimize new games for the old cards.
I don't think anyone has shown serious performance regressions for older games/cards with updated drivers.

Nobody ever mentions the fucking massive driver CPU overheads on the 480.
Don't have a high end i7? Then you sure as fuck won't be seeing anything like those benchmark scores you love to quote.

Wht is the fucking point of an 8gb 480?

Do games even use 8 at 4k?

4GB will be a bottleneck for maximum quality textures in the near future.

Considering texture resolution improves fidelity but doesn't cost anything else than extra VRAM it's nice to have more

They put shit gimped vram on the 4GB model to artificially reduce performance.
Enjoy :^)

it's like $30 more for twice the VRAM, why not spend the small extra sum to guarantee it has a longer life?

the 1060 is shittier now

it was overtaken two months in

deal w/ it

>guarantee it has a longer life
It doesn't guarantee shit. If a game needs more than 4GB VRAM the RX480 will likely choke anyway.

>If a game needs more than 4GB VRAM the RX480 will likely choke anyway

VRAM doesn't work that way. Textures especially present no real load on the GPU itself (except when applying AF, but then, modern hardware han handle 16x AF with almost no performance issues).

On the other hand, the moment you can't allocate enough VRAM to present a texture, you get extremely bad hitching and 99th percentile frametimes go through the roof.

having more VRAM is good.

It might choke but if a game requires more than 4GB of VRAM the 4GB model is guaranteed to not work. It's such a small increase in price that it seems pretty stupid to not buy it, especially as it'll retain a higher resale value if you decide to sell and upgrade in a year.

Now that ReLive is out and borderless Freesync is working there is now no excuse to go team green other than brand loyalty (AKA as being a good goy).

>On the other hand, the moment you can't allocate enough VRAM to present a texture, you get extremely bad hitching and 99th percentile frametimes go through the roof.
>It might choke but if a game requires more than 4GB of VRAM the 4GB model is guaranteed to not work.
Yeah, like shadow of mordor on ultra? Oh wait, there's no difference between 4gb and 8gb performance.

having more vram is part of the solution
the other is to have a good memory bandwidth...
thats why amd cards are still kicking today with 384 bit bus..
also there is some sneaky shit like what nvidia did with mirrors edge 2 and 970...

I still don't know what to buy. FUCK

if you are buying for future proof aka for more than 1.5 years 480 is the way no questions asked..
if you like to spend money like a spastic monkey and you dont care about gimping and 3.5 memes then you can buy nvidia

This is the kind of person who recommends AMD products.

>a game released more than 2 years ago is a good indication of games for the future

well considering that the history proves me right my facts are actually correct..

290x vs 780ti started on 2013 at 290 being 8% slower.. now 2.5 years later 290x is still kicking and is almost 30% faster than 780ti....
the same goes with every single amd card since 2011 and after.. even the 7xxx are fucking maxwell cards this year which they are 2.5 generations ahead..
and im not even gonna mention the massive amount of failing drivers that nvidia have for 2 years now compared to amd..

RX 480 won't be able to deliver a playable fps in future games on ultra settings when they actually need more than 4GB VRAM.

you dont buy a mid range gpu to provide an ultra setting for 2-4 years you know...
but certently it will provide way better exp than 1060

6G 1060 $359
3G 1060 $329

8G RX480 $409
4G RX480 $349

All in australian roobux

still which card you think will last longer given the history of both ? the longest period an nvidia card was out and had an active development was 2 years.. (the series 7xx) amd on january of 2016 will hace gcn 1.0 up and running after 6 fucking years and still delivering improvements(tho sadly due to the lack that they have static ace engines they wont last much longer than 2017 i assume)

best bang for buck is the 1060

well, why not? helps the environment by cutting back on water usage and less toxins being dumped into the reclaim water supply.

also saves on detergent since i'm not burning through it so much.

i take one, short, five minute shower a day after i shit so my underwear is always clean anyways.

the 4gb 480 doesn't have gimped stream processors, while the 1060 3gb has gimped hardware ontop of the gimped ram, so the 4gb isprobably still the best price:performance

also there's no difference between 4gb and 8gb models performance wise unless you're using xfire,