OCing virgin here

OCing virgin here
Planning on getting a ASRock Z170 Gaming K4/D3 motherboard, pushing a i5-6600k onto it and OCing it.
Thing is, the motherboard unlike standard skylakes uses DDR3 memory. How much room for OCing would i have taking all of this to account?

The memory shouldn't really be a factor you're changing the cpu multiplier not the blck. It comes down to cpu cooling, vrm and mobo cooling, cpu quality. Can probably hit 4.5 to 4.7 at under 1.4v. That's the range for most all of skylake

Thanks for the tip

Why not just get one with DDR4?

I got 16 GB of DDR3 already, so instead of selling them and getting 4s which quite honestly don't convince me, i could just reuse them in a motherboard that supports them.

I had a assrock z170 board that died and took my cpu with it. Good luck, Op.

Is it fast DDR3?
DDR4 is worse than DDR3 at the same frequency, but DDR4's maximum frequency is so fucking insanely high (on a single voltage at that)

Zen

>assrock

This. Only msi and asus are good Mobos. I love msi, they have never let me down on oc. Currently my 6600k is at 4.8k.

>MSI

I have a hyper 212 evo, what's a reasonable starting point for OCing a 6600k? Do I just benchmark and adjust the multiplier until it stops crashing?

Wow, your 6600k is at 4.8kHz? Why would you underclock it?

>Currently my 6600k is at 4.8k

Kilohertz? Kelvin?

MSI kek

I love my Niggabyte board.

I was under the impression that skylakes "shouldn't" be run with DDR3 because some sort of voltage issue between the cpu and the DDR3 memory. idk I may be wrong.

Find a stable one, attempt 4.3 then 4.5. I have a corsair aio. Check the heat temp, I don't let my mobo get too hot. It's pretty easy, what type of mobo do you have?

Gabeebyte ultra durable

Go to YouTube and input the mobo model and cpu model with oc tutorial. Never oc on a gigabyte. My last model didn't let me. Mess with the multiplier.

It's Z170 so I assume it's made for overclocking, and gigabytes "30% MORE COPPER" slogan makes me feel good inside
I'll look up a video eventually though, I don't even have a need to OC yet