What makes a quality motherboard, Sup Forums? What sets a "good" motherboard apart from a "bad" one?

What makes a quality motherboard, Sup Forums? What sets a "good" motherboard apart from a "bad" one?

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwarezone.com.my/tech-news-new-zealand-customs-destroy-gigabyte-s-g1-assassin-2-motherboard-search-weapon
linustechtips.com/main/topic/409175-new-zealand-customs-destroy-a-gigabyte-g1-assassin-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Military-grade japanese solid-state capacitors

Good motherboards dont have heatsinks shaped like handguns for starters

Please tell me that gun is not a part of the motherboard

10 power chokes

8 doubled up phases

Enforced PCIe slots

Gay af

the bullet proof shielding

Basically any motherboard that covers :
-has the right socket
-enough I/O PCI , ram, SATA sockets to fit your needs.
-has at least 3 year warranty
-MSI/ASUS/ASrock (there are other good ones , but these are always safe in my experience)

Don't fall in for bright colours , sketchy names, flashy heatsinks , anything that implies it is a "gaming" motherboard" or scams of the "it has amazing high quality audio" sort. Simple is better when it comes to MB for normal personal computing.

this makes me think
what if i just pour plenty enough of epoxy over the motherboard?
wouldn't it help its mechanical resistance also spreading the heat more evenly?

"gaming" motherboards are unironically the better ones. i.e ROG and evga classified

>when it says gaming

its a common practice as your image suggests
but the motherboard is big and flexes specially when you mount stuff like the cpu cooler

i think it would be less sturdy during flex moment as components could follow the expoxi movement and shear off

That depends entirely on the heat-transfer properties of the epoxy.

>MSI

>MSI
>safe

What backwards world do you live in?

You wish

I have a 10 years old msi p35 board with a q6600 at 3.4GHz and it still runs perfectly.

Solid capacitors is really something you would want for a MB.

I had a 970A Krait SLI and it melted after 6 months. Literally fucking melted.

desu i dont have any experience with the other but with asus and all i can say is asus products last like forever, i have yet to see my two old asus laptops and some very old asus motherboards to stop working yet.

ITT: people that can't maintain basic hardware complain about "quality"
I worked on a store that did repair on computers and I have never seen anything like OP pic related happening when the person actually bothered to screw the fucking video card to the computer case.
That also never happened to a single of my computers over the last 35 years and I always buy the cheapest motherboard with all the ports I need

MSI has shit power for the CPU

Let me guess ... you put a FX-9590 in it despite the board not supporting CPUs with more than 200W TDP?

>muh armor
>muh steel reinforced PCI-e slots
>muh retarded shroud connecting I/O ports to heatsinks so you KNOW you're paying GAYMUR prices
>muh RGB LEDs

Stay away from these memes and pick a motherboard with a good audio chip, enough ports and maybe OC support if you want that from a reputable manufacturer like Gigabyte or MSI.

Typically they don't come with broken PCI slots like that.

>MSI
>Assrock
No
And like user said, motherboard manufacturers like to Jew the market and only put their best shit (all high speed and modern-spec PCIe slots) onto their "gaming" motherboards with the useless shit like red paint, leds and backplates

No those Japanese capacitors are better

Gigabyte literally brands itself on durability

The one OP posted brands itself on being "killer"
Clearly when they don't explicitly says its ultra durable it's ultra shit

Someone clearly hasn't screwed in their graphics cards on to the chassis........cunts

How the fuck do PCIe slots even get damaged like that? It's not even the bottom part of the slot that was bent, it's the one on top so it doesn't even look like it was due to weight, unless the board was upside down.

>What makes a quality motherboard, Sup Forums? What sets a "good" motherboard apart from a "bad" one?
Cap longevity

/thread

>unless the board was upside down.
Good job, genius.

Is this legitimately on other electronics as well? I've only encountered this in guitar pedals when the maker doesn't want schematic thieves.

if it stops working it's a bad motherboard
It it keeps working it's a good motherboard
As of now it's like a 50/50 split, regardless of brand, model, or what motherboard it even is
Motherboards are all chinkshit, don't pay too much and don't expect too much

>I've only encountered this in guitar pedals when the maker doesn't want schematic thieves.
>proprietary hardware
disgusting

On the other hand, on mixers with effects, they gladly show you the entire signal routes and paths on a diagram in the manual
That's pretty important on something that's literally just made to route inputs and outputs

Solid power delivery circuit and 90 degree SATA ports. That's the minimum for a good motherboard.

I guess that's what happens when you're too retarded to realize you should actually use screws to mount heavy cards to your case, fucking hell.

As for good mobos, I usually check the following:
>good power delivery with decent cooling
>sufficient PCIe lanes & proper distribution to slots
>enough space between PCIe slots meant for graphics cards, the top card will get quite hot if there's not enough room between them
>sufficient features

PCI/e spacing is standardized, you either have a two-slot connection with one missing slot or two one-slot connections and one is unusable, there's no adding extra space without sacrificing a slot space

Like my gigabyte ultra durable has a top PCIe slot but a PCI slot right below that, so my gpu covers the PCI slot (not that skylake supports PCI anyways)

Of course it's standardized, but mobos usually have multiple PCIe slots that physically look like x16 slots, but not all of them may actually have 16 lanes electrically, despite their size. I mean which slots are capable of providing full bandwidth and how far apart they are from one another.

Not having plastic sleeves that break when you put on a GPU

Customs apparently ripped out the video card when trying to find the gun.

I meant 'allegedly', not 'apparently'.
Looking it up; the original source seems to be reddit. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lie and someone just did it for the upvotes. www.reddit.com/r/techsupportgore/comments/3d70a7/customs_tore_the_gpus_out_to_find_the_gun/

Things to look for in a decent motherboard:

Thick copper layers for a good solid ground plane.
Quality Japanese 105°C caps that don't pop.
Proper damping to avoid coil whine.
A properly shielded analogue audio path to minimise interference from the power plane and buses - often still frequently insufficient.
Enough VRM phases, with good cooling.
No tiny Southbridge fans (they always die).
Enough ports for what you need, plus change.
At least one gigabit or 10-gigabit NIC that isn't an RTL8111.

Pity, considering what short work the right solvents and a fume chamber can make of epoxy resins.

Epoxy is tamper-evident, not tamper-resistant.

Maybe they're just being lazy with their potting.

You get more FPS in FPS games with it.

Don't forget ammo

ASRock has always been fine for me, senpai. Just citing memes or have you had one fail on you?

durability and features mainly

ASRock, Asus and gigabyte have gained a reputation for being the go to brands for quality mobos, while msi can make fine mobos, they are a risky choice to many.

there was an actual story behind this.

>guy moves
>decides to take his computer with him on the plane
>computer goes through xray
>GUN heatsink pops up
>tsa goes crazy thinking there is a gun in his computer
>starts ripping out parts
>finds no guns
>keeps the guy there for ten hours

hardwarezone.com.my/tech-news-new-zealand-customs-destroy-gigabyte-s-g1-assassin-2-motherboard-search-weapon

linustechtips.com/main/topic/409175-new-zealand-customs-destroy-a-gigabyte-g1-assassin-2/

first of all, get a horizontal mount case, everything heavy you put on the board will thank you for this.

second, caps, make fucking sure the caps are good, this is something replaceable by user, but fucking hard when you know nothing.

third would be power regulation and how well its heat synced.

as for audio, external dac, don't pay extra for good on board, just use it till you are sick of it and get a good dac.

Maybe he had gyno tho

>HardwareZone -- Source: Reddit

>LinusTechTips -- Source: HardwareLuxx
>HardwareLUXX -- Source: Reddit

Yeah, I doubt it. Some nigger was too stupid to take out his video card and then thought I'd be funny to blame customs for it.

well of course but at the same time i can totally believe customs / tsa doing this.

>all these MSI ebin maymays
MSI literally is the second best manufacturer behind GIgabyte, according to failure rate.

Everything from MSI I've ever had has served me well and never failed.
Asus on the other hand is absolute shit in everything they do.

Gotta say I'm impressed, that's even more retarded than what I thought it was.

>crayons

That's all anecdotal, I've have mobo from MSI that ran an i5 750 at 4GHz (50% OC) for like 3 years and is still going nowadays, with the same CPU. I also have various Asus devices like 2 tablets, a router which actually handles torrents at Gbit speed and my current mobo running a 4790K at 4.7GHz and had no issues with any of them at all. This doesn't really mean anything though, it's all anecdotal since the sample size is tiny and not everyone handles and takes care of their devices the same.

underrated post,
keked