This is terrible. To whoever recommended this to me and said I should use it over an IDE, fuck you

This is terrible. To whoever recommended this to me and said I should use it over an IDE, fuck you.

No I'm not a newb, I've been using it for 4 years and have come to that sad realization.

It basically makes the functionality of notepad more obtuse, has 1 or 2 very tiny improvements as features, but does nothing else without plugins. Way less efficient for coding than an IDE.

Again, fuck you. Or better yet, well played, Sup Forums. You got me.

>I've been using it for 4 years
why then

Just use sublime text

It's nano but much more complex.

Just to keep trying it, "maybe once I'm proficient it will get better".

I use it with very few plugins though, not entirely vanilla since I customized my .vimrc with what I like but the only plugins I have are Easymotion and Taglist.

IDE >> vim >> nano >> everything else

Falling for the vim meme is probably the oldest one in the book.

this
>tfw I recommend vim to other people but actually use an ide myself

Also I forgot to specify, I use it almost exclusively from the terminal w/o a mouse.

Vim is so painful to use it actually leads to me dreading my work and procrastinating as a result. I think I might try GVim then switch to something else completely. Any suggestions? I'm developing in Python. PyCharm seems an obvious choice. Visual Studio Code seems interesting. Otherwise Eclipse w/ PyDev or maybe Sublime Text looks interesting. Or I can just go back to fucking Geany.

I can see Vim's worth if you're forced to work through an SSH connection (though don't IDEs have that capability now too?), but that's about it.

Try Atom. Eclipse is not that good, Imo.
Shitposting about numbers in 5...

It's not a meme, vim is really good.

I use an IDE for every day coding, but if I need to make a quick edit and I'm already in terminal I'll use vim. Beats shit like nano or emacs.

What IDE do you use?

IntelliJ

Have you considered getting good

If you didn't speed up everything you do in a text editor after 4 years of vim you should step away from the PC.

If you've used it for four years out has Mr Miyagi'd the key bindings into you. Note you can use Visual Studio with ViEmu or any other IDE with vim bindings

>Note you can use Visual Studio with ViEmu or any other IDE with vim bindings

This is true but they lack EasyMotion, which IMO is essential.

>Not using Spacemacs in evil mode
KEKED

Use sublime text, i only use vim when im sshing ibto things, and if i hate to write a bit program, (more than 100 lines) i sftp it from my machinr with sublime.

Vim is great but theirs better tools now.

bump

you're just a bad learner, vim is like a knife, it could be a very powerful weapon in the right hands, and it could just be a potatoe cutting tool like in your case.

Switch to emacs if you find vim isn't productive enough...

the most successful argument against emacs is that it can't be run without X.
sysadmins like me need to learn vim not emacs.
also, you can run vim on a distant host via SSH if the -X option isn't there.

I'm surpeised no one said emacs. It's the mother of text editors.

samefag alert !