What is better for Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_topic&q=AMD
youtube.com/watch?v=04ITA1_XoqM
nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/107863/en-us
github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/blob/master/README.md
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126516.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Open Source drivers, ability to use it right out of the box. 480.

No games on linux, so the gpu doesn't matter.

More seriously though, the AMD card is technically better since it has much better vulkan performance than nvidia cards. Problem is that barely any games use vulkan.

AMD shill

>Problem is that barely any games use vulkan.

This has to change. Vulkan is superior to DX12 in every way.

you should have posted from a different ip.
Everyone can tell that you are OP and just made a shitty b8 thread now.

RX 480

>using proprietary drivers
There's only one choice for freedom, and that's AMD.

>expecting devs to not take microshill's mobey for using directx

1060 hence the higher price also better for work stations

>we're here for the gaymers
>look at that microshit mohney
>fuck the gaymers

sounds about right

a year ago if you had suggested an amd card for linux even someone that didnt knew what a pc was would have laughed so hard..
but somehow their driver team actually did the impossible and they are way ahead on every sense of nvidia on linux..

A year ago it was actually still better if you had a card that was at least a year old and a newish kernel.

Nvidia
>superior OpenGL performance
>Linux ports of games are generally optimized for Nvidia
>G-Sync and CUDA support
>TOS forbids usage in virtualized environment (GPU passthrough)
>no Wayland support

AMD
>open source drivers with paid development by AMD
>no virtualization restrictions
>supports Wayland

Nvidia is probably better short term choice in terms of features and performance but AMD is doing the right thing for the community.

their shitty driver compared to this one was absolute SHIT

Is is worth to game on Linux? I mean , there are plenty of aaa titles and indies to choose from , the drivers got better. Why not?

Gtx 1060 obviously. AMD drivers on Linux are atrocious

>using the shitty proprietary driver
I'm talking about the fully free radeon driver. It's been pretty good for at least 2 years now.

What driver should I install on arch for the rx 470?

>open source drivers
>good

oh ok i thought you meant the other one

xf86-amdgpu

Woops. I meant xf86-video-amdgpu.

Thanks

Whoops I meant nouveau

Kek

Nvidia with their proprietary driver is the only real option right now. Don't listen anyone that says AMD + open source driver. Sure, they're "getting better", but they've been saying that shit for years and they're still not up to par

sure meanwhile on phoronix
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_topic&q=AMD

Nvidia proprietary binaries, end of story.

If you want nice feature check boxes on a sheet of paper get AMD but don't be surprised if any of it works well or at all.

What about it?

Nvidia by far - amd doesn't have cuda
+ nvidia smi + solid drivers and various of other tools

torvalds_fuck_you_nvidia.jpg
>pic related.

the open benchmarking org is full of recent amd vs nvidia benches on linux...
nvidia is ahead only on uniengine...

For games, 1060
For freedom and everything else including GPU accelerated applications and Wayland, 480

I had a really bad experience with AMD gpus on linux in the past. I have an old HP notebook with Radeon gpu that is practically unusable right now because the AMD gpu drivers available for it are only compatible with an ancient version of the kernel.
Since it can't even run a web browser without shitting itself, i'm currently using that notebook as a headless server.

But I didn't know they were now working together with the open source community on developing better drivers. Good job AMD.

Had the 1060. It just don't work. Flickering and artefacts all the time.
Now I have the 480 and it just works smoothly how it should be.

I strongly recommend the 480 for Linux.

Nvidia

>No games on linux, so the gpu doesn't matter.
Wrong. There are games on Linux.
>buh buh no triple AAA games
>borderlands franchise
>civ5
>Bioshock Infinite
...and many more

I find the proprietary AMD drivers lacking on Linux. But the open source ones are powerful enough for the work I do on it anyway.

Either way I don't play video games on Linux so moot point.

>2017
>falling for amds shady marketing

youtube.com/watch?v=04ITA1_XoqM

this.
i do scientific computing and cuda cuts down simulation time a lot

>open source drivers
fucking where?

Still nogaems

>getting trolled by the guy that made the MSI 760 Ti video

Games on steam actually work very well on the open source driver.

apt search amdgpu
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libdrm-amdgpu1/xenial-updates,now 2.4.67-1ubuntu0.16.04.2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
Userspace interface to amdgpu-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime

libdrm-amdgpu1-dbg/xenial-updates 2.4.67-1ubuntu0.16.04.2 amd64
Userspace interface to amdgpu-specific kernel DRM services -- debugging symbols

xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/xenial,now 1.1.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
X.Org X server -- AMDGPU display driver

xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu-dbg/xenial 1.1.0-1 amd64
X.Org X server -- AMDGPU display driver (debugging symbols)

xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu-lts-xenial/xenial-updates 3:13 amd64
Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu-lts-xenial

xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu-lts-xenial-dbg/xenial-updates 3:13 amd64
Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu-lts-xenial-dbg

Assuming full passthrough to a guest OS is available, which one?

The real question is why you would want any of these cards. And that's a serious question. The GPU part of the AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7 APU runs a 3 x 1080p setup just fine (seriously).

If you plan in running a lot of games then.. I'm not sure why you are asking about a card to use on GNU/Linux.

If you plan to use OpenCL to mine cryptocurrencies then you want the AMD card.

I see you are (ab)using dnf. On Fedora you want xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu for older cards (78xx) and xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu.x86_64 for newer cards (RX480 etc).

The amdgpu package first became available on Fedora 24 in the updates repo in September 2016 and it's a standard part of Fedora 25.

Thanks user. A quick check and I'm still on Fedora 23. That explains a great deal.

>AMD shill
nVidia shill if obvious

just accept that each has their benefits and detractions you autist

>implying Quadro's dont exist for a reason

nvidia have had a program of handing out titans and shit to universities for ages

not surprising that everything uses cuda (also opencl is a pain in the ass to use)

But does it matter? When you can just switch to windows for gaming anyway, and use linux for other things.

Out of curiosity, what is the point of a GPU like this on linux?

Only think I can think of is some rendering / encoding (some people use their GPU's) work because for gaming I dont see the point of even gaming on linux right now unless it changes significantly.

>No games on Linux

"Insert wine me here"

They are both good cards, Windows or Linux. If you want open source drivers go with AMD, if you want proprietary drivers go with Nvidia. I've heard awful things about AMD proprietary drivers on Linux.

But the open source drivers aren't better at all

what's the cheapest gl4.5/vulkan single slot gpu? just looking to do some testing on it.

Are you new here? Don't disrupt the anti-nvidia circle jerk you'll trigger the amd fanboys.

Get 1060, use intel igp as main display, use nvidia cuda cores for computing work, use nvidia as vga passthrough for a windows vm to do gaymen in

AMD has always been shit in the past on Linux. They have fucked me so many times with shitty drivers and wasted so much of my time. I will probably never trust them again.

On the other hand, NVIDIA support for even way old video cards on Linux is incredible. I'm running a GTX 570, but a GTX 275 I used recently worked just as well.

>TOS forbids usage in virtualized environment (GPU passthrough)
What? How?

why are people shitting on opensource amd drivers?
im running an hd 7970 and the proprietary drivers barley makes a diffrence in preformance

In fact, go all the way back to a 6600 GT and you still have recent driver updates. A card from friggin' 2004!

nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/107863/en-us

1060 just because it draw less power than 480.
I don't know why a 1060 can perform almost like 480 with less watts.

>Nvidia
>No wayland support
what does wayland specifically require
it really depends on the specific model.
i heard the R9 290 used to give many headaches in linux.
also i used to have an HD 3650 and the propietary drivers just didnt work and give all kinds of wierd artifacts, but that was a long time ago.

biggest problem i had was with a semi-old AMD card wich had legacy drivers that would require an outdated linux kernel to work properly or something like that... also HD 3000 series works like shit in linux
you know they probably just apply the old drivers to the 6600 GT but pack them altogether for convenience sake right?

>packed together
I don't think that's true. They have 'legacy' linux drivers available for even older cards, and even those are apparently still compatible with modern kernels.

The driver I linked is one of the most recent and still supports 6600GT from 2004, there are no asterisks about the latest features of the driver only working for newer cards, and it's only 60MB.

Anyone who says Nvidia on Linux is a retard; they contribute NOTHING to Mesa.

>But but but just use the proprietary drivers!

Some people actually like their X server to work, or use Wayland instead.

No one uses Wayland except for beta (alpha) testers.

In my experience over the past decade, X server has always worked better with NVIDIA than with AMD.

A rope.

If you're on Linux and are serious about GPUs, you're statically more likely to be concerned with parallel processing than gaming.

In which case Radeon has ROCm

github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/blob/master/README.md

Nvidia has the shittiest open drivers, so shit performance and, for the newer cards, a black screen/640x480 nomodeset until you install the blob, and it doesn't support Wayland/Mir if you want to use them. AMD generally has worse performance, but they support open drivers and they actually work.

AMD, chill*Nvidia isn't as good as open source fatty

480. Drivers blow nvidia out of the water on Linux.

>>TOS forbids usage in virtualized environment (GPU passthrough)
What the fuck?

>He hasn't tried amdgpu (pro) yet.

Actually, you meant xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu-pro
amdgpu-pro blows mesa out of the fucking water.

mpv

If GeForce driver detects that it's in a virtualized environment it will disable 3D capabilities and show an error message (code 43 driver disabled). AFAIK this doesn't happen on Quadro and GRID products since they advertise virtualization support.

The detection isn't very good and you can configure your hypervisor to hide itself from the GeForce and everything will work just fine for now. There's still a looming threat that Nvidia will improve their detection in a future update and fuck up your setup.

Wayland developers want more control over display buffer management to enforce perfect frames without tearing and Nvidia wants to keep control of display buffer management so they can have a multi-OS driver and ensure perfect frames without tearing. Both sides are working together to fix the issue though.

>If GeForce driver detects that it's in a virtualized environment it will disable 3D capabilities and show an error message
Wow. Fuck Nvidia. There's literally no reason to do that. What the fuck.

They are both good cards. get the 1060 if you want to play current games, Get the 480 if you think you will be playing the games released later with dx12

well with the yesterday driver there is absolutely no reason to buy a 1060...its officially behind on most of the games
only on gtav and some other its 3% ahead..

I am still undecided, but waiting to upgrade PC until zen to see if its gonna be worth it.

CUDA support is absolute dicks on linux and opencl just werkz.

AMD is not supported on Linux
There is a very good reason for this and it is because back when AMD were first making processors they thought could compete with Intel, they started putting numbers on that suggested their chips could do 2GHz etc but they were caught out as the chips were doing 1.2Ghz. Withe their graphics cards it was the same thing. Linux expects manufacturers to be truthful in their spec sheets but AMD are one of the most venomous liar organisations in the world. They really are a rip off. Consequently developers cant trust AMD hardware on linux

>willingly training Google's botnet
>not writing nigger station to sabotage it
>phoneposting
shaking my head to be honest, familia

(You)

so what you are saying is that their recent HAL driver which btw works just FINE isnt supported on linux?
you must be a guru or something

But my RX 470 with amdgpu-pro works beautifully on Linux.

> when AMD were first making processors they thought could compete with Intel, they started putting numbers on that suggested their chips could do 2GHz etc but they were caught out as the chips were doing 1.2Ghz
literally cringe its like that amd never explained before athlons came out that the name scheme was equivalent to intel speed lol
such a pathetic attempt on trolling

Out of 275 titles I own on steam, 109 work on Linux. Most of the ones that don't are old titles. "No point in gaming on linux"? Fuck you, I don't like dual booting.

In the opposite of Nvidia AMD actually works on drivers after releasing GPUs instead of slowly gimping shit.

Is there comparison of cards performance running under windows and Linux (especially since amdgpu pro)? Just to know what performance I can expect with a 480 after seeing benchmarks for Windows...

Never, ever buy AMD if using a platform that's not Windows. Their drivers are shit on Linux and FreeBSD drivers do not even exist.

Actually their drivers are also sometimes shit on Windows.

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126516.html
DAL is kill, AMD BTFOed.

igpu

>tfw the best free driver support is for intel integrated gpus
Really wish a company that had dedicated gpus would give the same level of support

For the record, I run FreeBSD and have 1060. Very happy with this.

I'm putting together a 6700K / Z170 / GT 1080 build right now.

I was hoping with this PC to finally get away from using Windows as my primary OS.

What's the best way to set up so that I can still play games?

Do I need to dual boot, or can I make VM with GPU passthrough do the same job with minimal performance hit?