My laptop running Linux was installing an update that was not completed when the power ran out...

My laptop running Linux was installing an update that was not completed when the power ran out. When I launch my computer this appears in pic related.

I am not very experienced and not sure what command should be entered. Advice and guidance please.

install gentoo

I will but I need to recover my documents first, friendo

use the live cd/sb and backup your document?

install solus

ahahahaha

he saved documents on the same drive as a linux install

hahahaha

>putting this kind of faith in to an unstable OS...

hahahaha

1. Boot a live CD and back up your data
2. Try fixing GRUB
3. Try whatever you think might work from the internet
4. Format

How please?

Do you have a computer that still boots?

this... use a live cd/usb and backup your documents. (into another usb or to the cloud or whatever)

do this before trying stuff from the internet.

Get a usb or a cd with linux and boot from it. Get a empty usb stick and move all files you want to backup over to it. Or move your files to dropbox/google drive or whatever cloud service you want.

linux (hdX,gptY)/boot/kernel-whatever
initrd (hdX,gptY)/boot/initrd-whatever
boot

Where (hdX,gptY) is your Linux partition (use the ls command), and your kernel/initrd file name is tab-completed.

These. The Arch Wiki may have the answers you seek. A chroot may be in order here.

oh, make sure you pass a "root=/dev/sda2" or whatever to the Linux line so the kernel knows where your shit is

The grub installation is probably corrupted, boot a livecd, chroot and reinstall.

Encrypted? If not just put the disk into another computer and copy the files to it.

Do this, that is the way to solve this. But do it AFTER you have backed up you stuff.

Why does it matter if it is encrypted? Just put the disk in another computer and save the files.

He would have to decrypt them first, well I guess he could just decrypt it from the other computer though.

You're not going to corrupt your hard drive running incorrect GRUB lines, retard. Worst case scenario you enter your root parameter wrong or some shit and the kernel panics because it can't find your root filesystem.

Also, when you do successfully boot into your old system again, run this:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

tada grub is fixed again

OP is lying.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.