/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
take at least 10 seconds to google first

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ
howtogeek.com/248462/how-to-combine-images-into-one-pdf-file-in-windows/
prism-break.org/en/subcategories/windows-email-accounts/
cnet.com/products/dell-dimension-4500-p4-2-26-ghz-256-mb-40-gb-crt-19-with-lexmark-z35/specs/
vuugo.com/computer-hardware/computer-parts/motherboard/gigabyte-motherboards-GA-970A-UD3P.html?tracking=5108053939762
pastebin.com/fJWvG2Gs
pastebin.com/dYQxK91b
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487220
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have Windows 10 installed and the Photos viewer is garbage that takes 15 to 20 seconds to open a single image. Can somebody recommend me something better that's lightweight and fast for opening & viewing images/gifs, maybe webms too but that's not as important.

I'm trying to load the cue file info into the flac file on foobar but when I do utilities>load it just loads all the tracks and gives it the same name

whats the best way to keep monitor/TV screens clean? ive tried all sorts of random sprays and cloths from retail stores but they all unsurprisingly sucked

what's the cleanest way to merge a bunch of jpeg files as "pages" in a pdf? Would imagemagick work? I can't seem to figure it out. The free online tools are ok but add a ton of compression.

Where does precision come from?

I mean, consider a milling machine. Everything on it operates along very precise parameters. Where does that precision come from?

How do you go from being able to smelt ore and cast steel to being able to produce precise technology?

(You only said the question had to be simple, not the answer)

How do you apply thermal paste? I used to spread it but this video really made me think.

youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

Kek,that scene was awesome.

What's a good alternative to Gmail?

I have an fx 6300 @4.2ghz and a GTX 770

Would it be unreasonable to upgrade to an RX 480 for gaming due to my CPU?

When a monitor is described a "x" inches, is that from end to end or from opposite corners.

which is the fastest of these

does anyone know of a multi usb port switch with a 3-5ft cable? my tower is in an awkward spot and i want to be able to plug multiple usb devices in to one port, and switch which one the pc is connected to. all the ones ive been finding on amazon have < 12" cords.

Bought a Western Digital, (Black,) WD2003FZEX hard drive and it's alarmingly loud when reading/writing, (which happens almost constantly with the programs I use.)
It doesn't make any clicking or ticking sounds or anything, but it makes a very loud "grinding" sound when reading/writing. Is this normal?

I don't know much about HDDs but they scare the shit out of me because I have lots of important stuff that I don't want to lose, so I'm always backing up my shit and getting paranoid about my hard drive's health.
The noise is definitely worrying, but if it's normal for certain hard drives to be loud while reading/writing, then I won't worry about it. Unless of course the frequency with which my computer does so is a different problem entirely.

blacks are loud
you should know that
maybe if you shake your PC while your hard drive spins it gets scared and shut ups

my 10 year old seagate does this
let me tell you: you wont get used to it
better replace it while you still can

It comes from arbitrary and contrived, yet useful, units of measurement. Humanity figured out long ago that it's easier to make something when all of the parts actually fit together...

would barely make a difference.
upgrading to FX-8000 series CPU like fx-8320 or fx-8350 would make a bigger difference

Will you realistically notice a difference between the 2011/2012 35W Notebook CPUs and the recent Skylake/Kaby Lake ULV CPUs?

They have lower wattage, but are also newer.

I have no problem with my i7-3520M, I just don't want it to become SLOWER when I buy a new notebook...

are there 4k monitors that can do 1080p/lower resolutions in general at 120 hz?

>you wont get used to it
What? The noise doesn't actually bother me, I just want to know if my hard drive is normal damaged or if it's normal.

Meant
>if my hard drive is damaged or if it's normal.

it will bother you at some point, im sure.

Run CrystalDiskInfo

I'm running Windows 8.1 and it seems that everyday that I don't turn on my computer it will turn itself on at exactly 12:15am. Its done this 3 times already. I have automatic updates disabled so I don't know whats causing this problem.

Why can I typecast in java?

The only thing that bothers me is problems with my hardware. If it's not a problem, it doesn't bother me.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Honeyview. It will take some customization to make it look and control exactly how you want it to, but it's definitely worth it.

I use a microfiber cloth with a few drops of water when necessary, best that I've found.

howtogeek.com/248462/how-to-combine-images-into-one-pdf-file-in-windows/

Depends on the criteria you have. There are tons of email domains out there. Hotmail and Yahoo are two others that are popular and free.

Monitors are measured diagonally. They also include more than just the screen space, so the screen is usually an inch or two less than the size.

Anyone know of a CLI utility like nethogs that doesn't continually reset?

I'd like something that measures bandwidth by program, over time. Nethogs resets every twenty seconds or so. I'd like to check cumulative usage by program every hour or so.

I can't log out of icloud on my first generation ipad. every time I try it asks me for the password to my old email which I don't remember. yes I updated

Well this is the result. Is there anything worrying about it?

The price for i5 and i7 will drop in the future?

no

The gmail user here

I'd like to use the most botnet free e-mail service, as that is why I want off Google's ride.

Gmail is more transparent and secure than the other major email providers, so if you want to opt-out of all bot-net, you'll need to find a smaller one or set up your own.

prism-break.org/en/subcategories/windows-email-accounts/

What should I use to compile C++ and C?

bloodshed

It's not about security, I don't fucking trust Google with any of my info, this is why I'm also still using Mozilla and don't want to even install Chrome on my PC, and only use duckduckgo for searches.

Gigabyte Radeon Rx 480 G1 Gaming 8GB
VS
zotac 1060mini

they cost the same but the 480 has 2gb more vram but i think the 1060 is about 10% faster.
Also what overclocking potential am i looking at? Assuming both are overclocked, which is faster then?

are there no 144hz IPS monitors with gsync at 1080p? i've only found one but it has 1440p display which i don't want

>having a 144 Hz monitor
>wanting GSync
whats the point.
besides, doesnt gsync and freesync have more displaylag if you operate above 50 fps ?

really?!

not him but wouldn't Zen cause price drops, if it's good enough to challenge intel's high end chips?

it's intel. they wouldnt ever lower the prices because they know people will buy no matter what.

>no matter what
If Zen is cheaper and has comparable IPC to i5s and i7s for a change, people could hop on AMD.

But then I heard Zen would cost like $499 or so, I don't think AMD wants a price war.

good ol monopoly !
its like nvidia, they dont even target AMD users anymore because they know their market share is big enough for them to only advertise to their loyal customers
theres a reason they always do comparisons with their own products *cough*and probably gimp old cards*cough*

>probably gimp old cards
has anyone ever proved that? Because every time anyone said "Nvidia gimps old cards", I remember it was some bullshit comparison like trying to compare different patched versions of a game or so

i should add that the 1060 has 6gb vram

Stuck on a netbook with XP for a while(Yeah, XP, can't touch it, not mine)
Intel Atom N280 1.66Ghz
1GB RAM
Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family
I'll mostly use it to watch stuff with friends on Rabb.it, but with XP the audio is crackling too much.
What's a decent linux distro i can boot from a 2GB USB stick that will allow me to use rabb.it decently?
I tried a PuppyLinux one a friend gave me, but it said it missed plugins and stuff when i tried going on rabb.it and trying to fix it was a failure

I foound a couple of old components of an old PC from 2005 I had. 1gb ram, 2gb ram and an 80gb hdd. Will there be a problem if I put them in my current computer?

Will an i5 6600k bottleneck a gtx 1070 for gaming?

obviously not

I know this is probably pointless, but is there any way to download a YouTube video (that someone else made) set to private?

So I own an acer aspire v15 laptop and I have the "black screen of death". The laptop's charging light lights up whenever the AC adapter is plugged in, and when I press the power button the blue power light turns on and the backlit keys light up but my screen remains black. I'm not sure how to fix this and the acer website was no help at all. So far I have tried almost everything I can think of but any help is appreciated.

I switch from Gmail to ProtonMail. If they are what they say they are, then it seems like a solid email provider. Secure, anonymous, no advertising.

Looking for any alternatives for Private Message Box App for android kitkat 4.4

Private Message Box App: Hide SMS is shite.

You might not be able to differentiate in a blind test. However, you will get better battery life, raw cpu power (architecture improvements), better onboard graphics, and more hardware encode/decode.

I've been trying to learn about how, where, and why things are located in Ubuntu. Are there any good beginners texts on how to understand and navigate the GNU/Linux system?

Can I get a recommendation on a good beginner-level book for learning java?

So a part of a java program that I'm doing is doing the square footage of a wall

so far I have:

System.out.print("enter length");
double length = in.nextDouble();
System.out.print("enter width");
double width = in.nextDouble();

double wallCalculation = length * width;

how would I do this so that the user can choose how many walls he wants to calculate?

so if the user types in '10', it loops 10 times and shows the total square footage for all 10 walls together.

I tried using a do while loop, but I can't seem to get it right. I can't figure out how to add up each calculation from each pass and store it into one variable.

please help guys I really need it ;_;

Why is Intel so much ahead of AMD to the point they have a monopoly of high end CPus?

THIS IS TOO FUCKING LOUD!!!

CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK!

Is it ever going to stop? I have to turn off my PC before bed now.

its full of tricks that make it approximate precision and then one really sensitive adjustable part for the technician to dial it in. ever used one of those machines? it takes precise adjustments to actually achieve near precision.

looks like I finally got something to work senpaitachi

int x = 0;
System.out.println("how many windows");
int windows = in.nextInt();
do {

System.out.print("enter length");
double userLength = in.nextDouble();
System.out.print("enter width");
double userWidth = in.nextDouble();

// sum += userwindows;

calculation = userLength * userWidth;
totalCoverage += calculation;

System.out.println(calculation);

x++;

}while( x < windows);

aside from my retarded variable names, is there anything wrong with this?

I decided to do the windows for this example

what's the best fork of firefox/version of firefox that is lightest on system resources while still being very good i need a light browser but want muh tree style tabs ;_;

What is a good program to resync audio tracks on video? I already use MeGUI to convert the framerate, but sometimes I get both a progressive and a fixed delay, and I have to cut the whole audio in 2 or 3 chunks, resync them one by one and put them back together... Right now I use a combination of avidemux (cut them, save them) and mkvmerge (put them back together) are there any other solutions? Which program do the people who release this sort of content "professionally" use?

anybody?

No POST or LED blinking?

ffmpeg is the core program the gui's are commanding.

No POST at all just a complete blank screen. The LED that turns on when the laptop is charging is on when the charging cord is plugged in, and the LED that is on when the laptop is supposed to be on is also on.

What's the easiest way to find out for sure whether I had any black ancestors?

Would getting my DNA sequenced allow me to verify this?

are brown switches really that bad, i was looking into getting a nice looking keyboard but it has brown switches. I only game occasionally, but i do A LOT of typing

Dont do that. You are willingly giving the government your sequenced genome for its private database of citizens.

Use ancestory

I tried browns, they were just a mushy red,it felt aweful.
I dont game but i love reds for typing.

any dvr recommendations for streaming from sling (or similar)

would you be able to recommend a keyboard? Pic related is aesthetically really pleasing to me, but i don't want to get it if browns are super shitty

Get one that takes a standard USB A to B cable, then just buy a cable as long as you want

Probably an Auto On setting in the bios

Lubuntu might work

ram sticks have to be the same type/speed very unlikely they will work

as long as the hard drive uses the SATA interface it should work just fine

Windows or Linux? Iceweasel is lighter on resources I believe

Could be bad ram. Is the memory removable?

so i got an old PC from my dad when he upgraded
cnet.com/products/dell-dimension-4500-p4-2-26-ghz-256-mb-40-gb-crt-19-with-lexmark-z35/specs/
and i was looking into getting it a small graphics card because >no hdmi
so i was just wondering if i could get any card or would the CPU or bus speed keep me from having a compatible card?

That system is plain garbage man, you probably wouldn't be able to watch youtube or anything you'd want hdmi out for anyway. It might not even have the pci express slot to install a new card into

Ok really basic pc for simple web browsing and office type stuff but that thing is so old it just cannot do much else

Is there an updated mouse list?

ive used a graphics card on it before and it works better than my current laptop.
i just need to know if i should watch what GPU i get for it

not on the laptop I have, no.

I'm fucked aren't I?

Are you sure that system you have linked is the right one then? Pentium 4 that maxes out at 1GB RAM???

Ram is always the first suspect whenever I come across a machine that just won't boot like that, so maybe.... This is going to sound stupid but have you plugged it into an external display to see if that does anything?

updated my bios how do i reinstall windows 10. i tried to and it isnt working corectly

iceweasel is just firefox with the badges pried off

trying to get wifi on ubuntu (I know, babbys first linux)

how can i get the firmware for my router (att, model 5268AC by Pace Plc) onto a usb to then get it into ubuntu so it may detect my wireless network? I dont have access to ethernet at this moment but windows has no problem connecting - its simply a matter of getting the drivers into ubuntu

not for sure because i dont have it with me right now but now that you mention it im pretty sure the one i have has 4 slots for ram.

idk any of the specs of the one i have off the top of my head i just remembered what the case looks like

heres my mosterboard vuugo.com/computer-hardware/computer-parts/motherboard/gigabyte-motherboards-GA-970A-UD3P.html?tracking=5108053939762

you need the drivers for your wireless hardware in the computer not the router. Why can you not plug in via ethernet? That would be the easiest way to get the drivers you need. What is the make and model of the computer? I assume you are on a laptop?

Yes I've tried plugging it into an external monitor and nothing happens. I might just go a tech repair shop or geek squad and see if they can figure it out

also this is not me

I know this isn't homework help general, but I don't know where else to ask.
I know /wsr/ would make more sense but I don't know how many Sup Forumsoers frequent there and it's a programming questions.

I made this, pastebin.com/fJWvG2Gs , as I was instructed based on this, pastebin.com/dYQxK91b , assignment.
But I kind of suck with pointers and I'm not sure if I actually did as asked or not. Did I go about this right or am I a fuckwit?

Ah okay, it could have much different specs then, different dell machines used that same case for years.

Something like this: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487220
should get the job done, just make sure whatever card you get is PCI Express and does not require an extra power connector