Do you leave your computer on at all times or do you shut down after use?

Do you leave your computer on at all times or do you shut down after use?

It's only off when I'm using it.

Shut it the fuck down. I pay my own electrical bill.

I keep my laptop plugged in all the down.

Shutting it down unless it's downloading something, SSD boot times and non-retarded browsers fixed all of the resons to always leave it on.

This, and it's a laptop, so I want to keep the battery in good condition.

My SSD has booted around 80 times in 8 months.

My desktop is only on when in use or if its downloading something. My laptops are always on though and are pretty fucked as far as battery life goes.

Do you leave your car on at all times or do you turn it off after use?

Turn it off every other day.

Usually seeding something or DLing music

Only shut down/reboot when i have to

I always thought that the power would bypass the battery and just go straight to where it's needed in laptops if the battery is full.

Main desktop is on most of the day, laptop and secondary desktop upstairs are only on when I need them. Everything shuts down at night

Aren't pcs literally designed to never be turned off?

leaving it on is just retarded when boot time is 5-10 sec

>XD I'm such a nerd my computer is always on
>help why are my fans and HDDs always dying early

Unless you're seeding, downloading or doing some charity shit like Folding or SETI, shut your computer the fuck down before you go to bed/ leave the house.

>Admit it, you're just too lazy to wait for the boot even with an SSD and restore all your 500 chrome tabs

I shut mine down because it sounds like a jet engine all day. Must be the 3 case fans or something, I don't know.

My GTX 1060 6gb is also hilariously loud during gaming. Sounds like a higher pitched box fan on the highest setting.

It's on all the time that I'm not explicitly working on the hardware doing replacements/maintenance. Has been so since 2002. Although the hardware it uses today is hardly what it was back then.

Pretty much yeah.

>Must be the 3 case fans or something, I don't know.

It's not like you can actually look for the components that are noisy, right?

>6 140mm case fan
>2 120 mm CPU cooler fans (and one in the PSU)
>loudest component is a mechancial hard drive

HDDs die WAY faster if you shut down your computer. Unless you very rarely use your computer. Like maybe use it once a month.

Do you leave the faucet running all the time or do you shut it off after use?

This is a cheap laptop, so it may not have very good protection against overcharging.

i have three running at all times, for various reasons, i could probably set it all up on some virtual machines and get it down to one box if i felt like it

i don't even think it costs me $75 a year in power

We're not in the 80's anymore.

Good for you now answer the fucking question or leave the thread

I put it in sleep, not sure if that counts as shutting down. It usually only completely shuts down when it needs to update.

wut

>I always thought that the power would bypass the battery and just go straight to where it's needed in laptops if the battery is full.

That's true for any laptop worth a shit. This one I'm using now won't even charge the battery unless it's below 95%.

No
Are you literally retarded?
/thread

Jokes on you, faggot. My Tesla is always on.

Just shut it all the fuck way down you fucking faggot

My BIOS battery is dead so I just keep it on all the time.

Do you leave your pink skirt on all the time or only when you're fucking your tranny boyfriend?

Modern PCs are even so more designed to be always on than old PCs. They have S states which can be used to lower power consumption. Like S3 for example.

I don't use them, but they are there and designed to keep the PC always on.

Regular shutdowns are for normalfags who want to kill their drives

No they aren't you fucking retard

shut down after use obviously
boot times are low as fuck nowadays anyway, or are you too poor to boot from a 60GB SSD?

Just admit that you're wrong and we can move on.

why would you have the skirt when your boyfriend is the tranny?

>implying lower power consumption and "sleeping" is worth anything in these days of fast boot times and computers that are off and use zero power.

Would you leave a light bulb on all the time? Leaving a computer on all the time is not that different.

If you're going to argue computers are designed to be on all the time, show us some evidence.

My tower has a light when it's on that would annoy me in my sleep if I left it on. While I could disconnect the light or cover it up, I like having it on during the day, so I just turn my PC off at night.

I turn mine off when I'm not using it, the only exception being when I'm having a hard time sleeping and wanna have some rain sounds playing in the background. I prefer just leaving my desktop on to play it over using my phone because my desktop is hooked up to my speakers so it sounds nicer.

24/7 unless I'm out of town. That 7 cent/kwh life.

What?
Computers turn off?

>tfw no tranny girlfriend (male)

Does power cycling affect all in one coolers like the H100i? What about keeping it running for weeks straight?

I always turn off all my electronics because I think they have emotions and I want to give them time to rest

My computer at work is running 24/7, at home I'm putting my computers to sleep.

This

>mfw I was jobless for 4 months this year and went up from 1600kwh to 2000kwh because of fulltime shitposting

rip money

> what are night lights
> what are servers
> what are surveillance cameras (infrared lights)
> what are status lights
You already leave your refrigerator and water heater(s) on 24/7 (unless you have an on-demand one - I doubt it), and that shit makes up the bulk of your electricity bill.

And yes, sleep states are meant to reduce power consumption, in the event you don't turn your computer off. I assume older PCs didn't have this or not all components were supported.

It was LITERALLY created so you weren't forced to turn off your computer.

How can you be so fucking dense?

seems like nobody ever heard of sleep mode here

> not understanding what sleep and standby modes are
> literally killing your devices and forcing them to reincarnate

Boot off ssd takes 5 sec if you have consumer pleb hardware, resume from sleep is instant. Also, if you needed a room illuminated 24/7, would you turn the light off while you were sleeping? Same concept. My computer is doing something 24/7 so it's also on 24/7. Has been for the past 15 years. 0 parts failures before replaced due to obsolescence except a HDD that was clicking from day 1.

i have an old p4 with a bunch of old disks striped into a vg. it's my download/file server. deluged + apache2

They are designed to be on all the time. They wouldn't work as servers, routers or firewalls otherwise. Doesn't mean they should be left on 24/h just for the fuck of it.

I always turn it of f if I'm not using it for next 20 minutes. Got sleep mode set at 30 minutes in case I forget about it.

It's only ever off if I'm not in town

That sounds brutal. I am going to do it more often now. Thanks, user!

dumbass.

On all the time during the day, sometimes I turn it off at night, but it's usually down/uploading something.

I can't believe the poverty of some people here. Unless you have some beastly power hungry PC you'll pay like $1/month more by leaving it on.

My computer sleeps when I do, so it's on for the other 14-18 hours a day. The exception is on ridiculously hot summer days where I'll put it to sleep when I go to work so my room is a little cooler.

Only normies shut down their computers every day, I don't want to be waiting for 50+ tabs to reload when I wake up or lose my place on some tabs.

Why the fuck should I leave it on when I don't use it? Why should I pay electricity for something that I don't use?
>muhh sleeping mode
The components inside are turned on so the lifetime is going down

And this

>>muhh sleeping mode
>The components inside are turned on so the lifetime is going down

Is this some kind of meme?

The components will become obsolete way before they "break" because of using sleep mode.

I use sleep mode. Don't want to wait for boot even if it is fast. Waking up from sleep mode is much faster.

If you're going to leave it on all the time and don't care about the power bill, consider contributing to projects like Folding@Home or SETI@Home to fight diseases/ find those ayy lmaos.

Ah yes, the component lifetime drops from 50 years to 49 years. Actually no it doesn't because the motherboard and psu are on even in shut down and the only new component that is on is RAM

I just leave my diesel pickup running 24/7
It only uses a gallon of fuel over night and is nice a d warmed up in the morning.
Also heats my house pretty well from the garage.

I leave it on at all times. It goes into sleep mode.

I never shut it off. Been doing that for 10+ years now.

It works with regular petrol vehicles too. It's so nice and cozy that it's almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning.

On

I put it in hibernate

>tfw no hybrid sleep states on my ancient desktop

Power On = Alive
Power Off = Dead

The internet is on 24/7 so I leave my computer on 24/7. My gas and electricity bill is cheap as fuck so idc

My home server is always on.

i dont want to kill my hardware overnight

Repeated on off cycles don't hurt. It's not 1998 anymore. You're hardware will be obsolete before the solder joints loosen. You can ditch that screensaver, too.

My primary-use computers are an iMac and an iPad. They use almost no power at idle. Leaving a lightbulb on is literally more impactful than leaving both on all the time. Also, the iPad is fanless and the iMac actually has good fan management, so it's almost silent unless you're pegging one or more cores.

tl;dr iMac. uMad.

Folding@Home has found the same amount of cures as Seti@Home has found aliens. They failed and you're supporting failures. That makes you a failure.

i turn that shit off

>got a minimilist case, a Fractal Design R5
>the single blue LED on it flashes and pulses all the time, forced to turn PC off or disconnect the LED entirely
>even when I got a nice product it's still a meme product
FUCK

>Dorm has no AC
>too quiet to sleep

I leave it on

I disconnect all LEDs.

I also had to disconnect the power/reset switch because it's on the top and my cat kept shutting the PC down. It's on 24/7.

>have to take off panel and fumble around for mainboard power switch if I ever have to shut it down. UPS helps it stay up all the time though.

Fucking hell I thought I was the only one

>remove hibernate.sys, disable hibernation via cmd.exe
>10+ GB freed up on OS SSD

try adding some sharpie to the LED itself

enjoy that tinnitus

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

"PC", personal computer.
user, they aren't PCs that you gave as examples.

FML, didn't learn about hearing protection and tinnitus until it was too late, too many concerts and range trips before I realized you need plugs at concerts (if close) and plugs and muffs at the range. At least it won't get worse?

They do hurt if you have mechanical hard drives. The spindle motor gets ass-raped every time the disk spins up. You can easily get more than 2000 cycles out of it, but each spin up and spin down is a heightened failure state. 99% of the time when a hard drive fails from wear without any warning it's during a power on.

Also most power supplies cause a small surge in voltage when a computer is turned on. Not dangerous, but it's worse than stable voltage.

Bad sectors are probably going to cause issues in a modern hard drive way before the motor craps out.

>leave PC on 24/7, with a good UPS
>use NAS rated HDD
>PC and HDDs live forever

until you power it off after a years and let everything cool down, then there's a chance something will get fucked.

I leave it in sleep mode when not in use.

A typical desktop uses around the same power as a fridge. You could build a PC running on as little as 30 watts per hour though.

Bad sectors don't develop for no reason. They develop if the HDD is contaminated or the read head slides on the platter surface causing contamination and damage. I have only seen a hard drive with bad sectors once in my life. Was a 2GB Western Digital.

This normally never happens unless the spindle motor is so worn down that the spindle doesn't get enough speed on startup and the head unloads before it happens. Or if the head fails to unload on shut down. Bad sectors are really unlikely.

I know. Happened to me. I had this 160GB Maxtor HDD. Worked for like 7 years 24/7, no problem. Then I shut down the computer and built a new one. Few years later I want to see what's on that old Maxtor hard drive. Boom, doesn't work. Dead as dead can be.

Yeah, I used to service ATMs, we'd have some 15 year old peice of crap in a gas station running fine, shut it down to replace some mechanicals, try to turn it on an hour later and nothing. usually the PC PSU was dead.

I guess that's the wonderful thing about computers. As long as you never shut them down, they just keep on trucking.

>Have same case
>Place a micro fiber screen wipe over the light
>Sleep fine

That's makes no sense at all

I like the white noise fans produce.

Also, Hdds power down.

Kindly fuck off