So is there even any reason to buy a Vive over a rift now?

So is there even any reason to buy a Vive over a rift now?

In b4 >muh 2ft more of roomscale space

Bump

Fuck off, retard.

Requires an extra camera and USB extenders to get an inferior roomscale space. Touch is worse for games where you're emulating an object and possibly want to swap from hand to hand.

Also you're supporting a shitty company.

Ask again in a few days. Mine still haven't arrived.

>Touch is worse for games where you're emulating an object

Would you clarify what you mean by this statement? I'm not OP. I have used the vive controllers before, but not rift controllers.

I understand that hand-swapping may prove to be an issue, though.

Vive feels like you're holding something. Touch tries not to. That simple really.

Touch is better for emulating your hands but not every game wants that. My problem with Touch is it doesn't do it well enough. If I want my hands in VR then a glove or Leap Motion (when it works) is much better.

>virtual reality

get memed on

>VR meme
this shit will die like the kinect

Vive feels like you're holding something. Touch tries not to.

I suppose I can understand this. It's true, they tried to make them as light as possible. I would argue this would decrease fatigue in use, but I'm not sure which one is more ergonomically sound either.

>If I want my hands in VR then a glove or Leap Motion (when it works) is much better.

Except Leap motion is more suited to capturing. In actual use, it is terrible for proper gaming function. Being "tighter" should ease the gap so that games are still snappy, but maintain some of the fluidity as with something like a leap motion.

Maybe you could use both in conjunction.

I believe the vive is developing add-ons for their controllers to go into the center rings, so we will see what the future holds.

Vive takes one USB port, and buying a Vive doesn't support Facebook

When I mention the Leap I mean the tech behind it. Problem with the Leap as it is now is FoV so of course it's not suited for gaming atm. If you're saying that there's no future in IR motion capture for gaming then I'd disagree. If anything that's where everything will end up once AR glasses get to the masses.

Vive is better quality VR, more games support it, controllers are better.

Not supporting Kike Zuckerberg and his attempts to lock the market down, for one.

I don't think there's no future for IR motion capture, but I don't think a sharp, snappy form of it will be present in the near future. I would argue that is the biggest issue beyond simple FOV. It would be more satisfying, in my opinion, to achieve snappy and quick results in gaming with controllers, than have to fight to achieve similar results with hand motions/pulls. Perhaps this would become a non-issue, though.

Maybe if the VR industry bands together for that, we could see some results, but I think that is a more distant goal than others.

Have you tried it lately with the Orion drivers? I've never felt latency was an issue is why I ask. More so when it bugs out with the hand detection and the limited FoV. I heard there was issues in the past with latency and of course the tracking made it barely unusable but Orion is what breathed new life into the thing.

>press X to turn 90 degree instead of just turning 90 degree yourself

this is why the rift sucks, it wasn't made for roomscale and now just tries to keep up with the vive.

I confess, I don't have a leap motion, so I have not tried the latest drivers. I based my thoughts on older observations, so my opinions are more invalid than yours, having used these devices from the past to now, with their improved software.

Do you really think there is a future for the sole use of IR motion capture for tight and fluid gameplay? I'm sure FOV can be easily remedied, but I can't personally see IR motion tracking taking over controls completely, at least at this time. However, in conjunction? I bet that would be very successful if done properly.

I do. Hand presence is a big deal and I don't think any controller can compete that isn't just a straight up glove. Valve's latest prototype is the closest thing you can get without doing that it looks to me. Oculus bought Nimble for a reason, this is one of the big goals for VR. For many people they want the simplest setup possible so that's where a main focus is going to be and less so on advances in controller design. Still, I don't think it will replace controllers entirely since there's going to be that desire to have a physical feedback. So as you say, in conjunction will be a good way to go for a lot of games.

>Valve's latest prototype is the closest thing you can get without doing that it looks to me.

I saw what you're talking about, and mentioned it in an earlier post, but can't find the postings when I look for them. Would you please link me to them?

I wonder if having gotten a rift was a mistake. I keep thinking about selling my rift for a vive, but my uncertainty keeps lingering. I didn't pre-order the touch controllers, so I missed the extra games, so now I don't know if I'll even get those as I feel somewhat like I'll have cheated myself. It is frustrating.

VR is like a minefield, and I don't know if I want to get blown up on the left or blown up on the right.

Woahhh there. Who are you to be using that word? Learn your history kid

Are you looking for images of it? You can just google Valve prototype controller.

If your room is already small and you're willing to wire it up then I wouldn't sweat over it much. They're not different enough to make such a huge deal about it. It's a crapshoot either way. You'll be happy or unhappy with either, it's not like buying the other will change your mind on VR.

seems to be a lot more than half a meter unless you buy another camera.

Yes, the reason is the Vive's open tracking system. And no I'm talking about better room-scale or the arguments about having to run USB cables all over with the Rift.

The lighthouse tracking system has now been made open to developers and there are currently over 300 companies working on additional tracked objects/controller designs.

You buy a Rift now and ignoring all other arguments regarding which company to support it is overall slightly better than the Vive, and that is coming from someone who also owns a Vive. However, the Rift took 8 months to finally come out with something that now makes it just slightly better than the Vive. The problem is that the Rift is just going to get leap frogged again. Valve has had 8 months of tracked controller support with consumer and developer feedback to go off of. The Rift controllers will be cool for a few months and then additional Valve lighthouse controllers are going to come out and make the Rift irrelevant once again.

The bigger problem than the space is the fact that most of their games are aimed at the default config which is only front facing. It's terrible. They're holding devs back to cater to this shitty form of tracking. Just because it's capable doesn't mean it's sensible to route your room with USB extenders.

Jokes on you. Touch comes with a clip for Rockband VR. Who needs 3rd parties.

I thought I sent a reply earlier, but I guess it never did. Odd.

Thank you for the search suggestion. My search terms I used didn't yield those results.

Let's hope for the best in the future, user. Cheers.

That's something Vive owners have been doing for months (Onward gun holsters, etc).

>VR launches on PC and consoles and phones

>the whole while everyone is getting money and having fun while these dipshits are STILL saying "muh kinect"

wow it must hurt your wallet to be so stupid

The more defensive the fanboys the worse the product.

people who say VR is a meme or a gimmick haven't tried it. I thought the same thing, and the only VR I actually tried was the PS4 one.

Vive max room scale is still the best and has the brightest future. Oculus headset with Vive tracking + everything else Vive hardware would be the best combination if possible.

>2ft
you are now aware, that 2ft is tf2 backwards. [spoiler]tf3 confirmed[/spoiler]

Yes, fuck Oculus home.

Source, Rift owner here

I'm probably going to get the rift over the vive anyway.

I pretty much only want it for sitting down games, and being able to buy the headset now, and get the controllers later if I see something I really want to play is a pretty good way for things to be.

Plus it's lighter.

Call me again when I they are 10 times lighter/smaller and can't see the individual pixels.

Why would anyone want to give mark cuckerberg more money? OP, fuck you. This website is terrible.

I got a Oculus Rift DK2 from a hackathon and it's shit. SteamVR with a Vive is so much better it's not even a contest. Fuck Facebook.

I recently bought a Vive and like said, this shit really feels like it's going to stick.

I love the fuck out of my Vive, and I have a huge play area to walk around in, so I appreciate the larger roomscale.

That being said, I haven't tried the Rift's controllers, but I've got a buddy that says his Rift roomscale setup is a massive pain in the ass, mostly because he's got to have a super long cable going around the room, plus the Rift cameras don't track immediately below them; you need even more extra space that you can't even play in for them.

Contrast to the Vive's lighthouses where roomscale goes all the way to the lighthouse itself.

Either way, both options seem great, but the Rift is actually more expensive if you buy the 3rd camera and the Touch controllers, for a questionably comparable experience.

japanese here
which is better for erotic game?

Either are going to be fine, because most ero games are designed to be sitting down.

Waifu Simulator actually has roomscale to a degree, but it only works with Leap Motion for grabbing your waifu.

I enjoy it...often on my Vive.

Why haven't the combined these devices into a single optical cable yet? I don't feel like dragging a rats nest around my neck.

Then you would need a power cable.

Power + fiber doesn't seem as bad.

Wut

There's only one cable coming from the Vive.

I thought it was 2 DVIs, a usb 3.0 and power?

yea but all sealed together in a band, a half inch flat cable

doa

no gimmick in the history of personkind has stuck to become a thing, if it is this expensive, inconvenient, and with such small userbase the support and software for it will be scarse and expensive