Gnome will never be THAT good

Gnome will never be THAT good

Other urls found in this thread:

archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/plasma-desktop/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

KDE just too bloated for me. There is million preinsalled applications that I never use. Gnome is nice because it's minimal and looks good out of the box(subjective I know).

openPEPE KDE master race

loving openPEPE and budgie

you have no idea what are you talking about. You can install plasma-desktop package archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/plasma-desktop/ and it will be so minimalistic, you won't even have a terminal

What's with all the homosexual Arch users ITT?

what's a budgie?

Gnome 3 but somewhat sane.

i wish i could go back to using nontiling wm so i could use kde, but tiling is just too comfy

sane as in no systemd dependencies?

Sane as in not putting the tray icons in the bottom left corner on autohide when the panel has plenty of free space and other really stupid design decisions present in Gnome.
Budgie is heavily dependent on Gnome 3 stuff, so I'd assume it has the same dependencies.

It looks good if you rice it, but by default it has ton of inconsistencies and wierd decisions that make the experience average. Like for example borders around windows that don't appear on your screenshot.

I don't like KDE.

>Gnome is nice because it's minimal

Dude plis...

>dolphin not in detailed view
god pls you are missing the best part

People actually still use gnome after they removed literally all the features from it?

top lel

The best part is ctrl+i, so fucking fast and comfy. I have not found any other filemanager that can do this and has all the other features of dolphin. I laugh at the poor saps that need to use their search database with ctrl+f and have to wait forever to see the first results from the current directory, even google searches faster for gods sake.

Golang is GOAT.

The window shadows make it literally unusable. They refuse to fix it.

What's there to fix? You can change color, size and intensity.

Special snowflake syndrome.
t. homosexual arch user.

isn't KDE a ram eater? I used it like ten years ago, but it used just too much ram at the time, and now I just go for the light DE, because I'm a poorfag

I wouldn't say so. It uses around 550MB idle on my machine, which us markedly less than GNOME / Unity / etc. for me.

>loonix is so shit you have to choose between firecucks-tier memory usage or awful design

Those icons in the file manager's sidebar look like ass. Would not use.

KDE still uses less memory than your shitty desktop.

low_quality_b8.png

Whats so bad about gnome?

Which PDF reader is that

There's only a decent shadow on the right side of the window. On the left side, there's no contrast so windows that overlap are painful to distinguish.

Something something filepicker something SJW something "missing" features.

Evince

Is Ubuntu Gnome a viable desktop OS? I mostly browse and do webdev.

Gnome is great once you establish how you want to use it. Straight out of the box it's kind of shitty though. Gnome Extensions are a must.

Why the fuck hasn't GNOME ( and Ubuntu) dropped the goddamn tablet style shit? NOONE uses GNOME on a tablet

Open up that menu, show everyone the fuckhueg buttons, and tell us that's sane

Which menu? This?

Care to elaborate on the first part of your post? I understand how the extensions can be a must for most people, but what problems did you have when using Gnome that you had to fix?

or this?

ICON NAME

Ok but I can't get into any other DE becuase im not good at linux and this is what comes stock

so there

Get rid of all the add-ons and extensions

Someone help my GNOME that came with fedora doesnt look anything like this. How do I make it look like this with the icons and stuff.

Numix Circle

Papa bless

Systemwerkz™

Gnome file picker has:
>no thumbnails
>open button in the place where normally the X button is, cancel button is on the other side because fuck logic
>plenty of unused whitespace in the sidebar because additional hard drives get hidden behind a "other locations" button
Great design. And those are just the problems I have with the fucking file picker.

Install:

Arc Theme
Numix Cirle Icons
Gnome tweak tool
Gnome Extensions

Not more.

how can people like KDE, I don't get it.
It's not even comparable to windows because everything is so fucking large and wastes ton of space. It's slow as shit too

gnome is awful aswell but for other reasons

Plasma uses less RAM than Gnome and Unity but takes up more storage.

>Gnome
>minimal

>because everything is so fucking large and wastes ton of space
¿que?

Well first of all, people tend to think you are somehow forced to use Gnome as though it were a tablet UI. That's not how it's intended to be used. If you've used i3 wm, you'll be pretty familiar with the process of launching programs and changing work spaces. You can use Gnome in the typical point and click fashion, but it's not nearly as efficient. With this in mind, you simply need to decide what extensions you need to tweak things to your needs. You can add things like a places drop down to the top bar, change the sidebar behavior, etc. You really just have to use Gnome for a little bit to figure out what you want it to do. Aside from not being able to customize it to the nth degree, I really don't find Gnome to be lacking anything at all. In fact, the possiblities with the use of Extensions, an make things almost overwhelming.

I don't know, it just looks wrong to me.
Not the file manager, but some other windows, settings one for example

>It's slow as shit too
I put Kubuntu on a Turion64/1GB laptop for shits and giggles and it was literally as snappy as lxde

Not true at all. KDE uses ever so slightly more ram on my machines than the rest. The difference is not worth mentioning though. Pretty much all of the "bloated" DE's use roughly 400-500K.

The settings window wastes a lot of space since they fell for the icon overview. You can change it back to the tree view though and once you get in the submenus it's fine.

its true. gnome is just a shitty mobile ui now.

removal of features to push a "simple" tablet interface completely disregarding the fact you now have to edit config files to do basic stuff you could do in gnome 2

Thanks for the info man.

A minimal window manager is better.

what about the gpu load? it has so much animations and other graphics that look very heavy

You can disable every single one.

Regardless of which DE I'm using, I ALWAYS turn off animations. They serve no useful purpose.

Not that guy but he's right, the shadows are trash.
If you try to increase the shadow softness they fall apart. And they are composited in 'normal' blending mode instead of 'multiply', which means your ***shadows*** can be brighter than the layer underneath. Absolutely disgusting.

As an Archlinux user who switched from KDE to GNOME I feel insulted.

KDE master race. I hope they really fix memory management bugs

Triggered.

>all these pleblets using DEs
window manager only master race passing through.

Yeah. I use it for the same. Ubuntu GNOME also comes with Tweak Tool preinstalled along with most people's "must have" extensions. Just add Dash to Dock and Dropdown Terminal and you're pretty much set as far as highly recommended extensions go. Look at the other extensions on GNOME's website and make your own workflow/aesthetic from there.

You can even replicate a Windows 7 interface if you know what to install.

>tfw my BMI is 27

>"11:39:01 &TopKuk | my desktop right now is so fucking autistic this is hilarious"

>window manager only master race

Toppest of keks

Yeah I don't get the "KDE is slow" bollocks, I've used it (on and off) since KDE2 and it's no different to GNOME in terms of responsiveness. It uses less RAM as well, at least for me.

Is that Up and Running with Go any good?

᠎>Devices>Antergos
>liveusb memory thumb stick drive detected.

Agreed user. I like Gnome shell. The add-ons make things look nice and I do most things with keyboard shortcuts anyways