RPi3

Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/raspberry-pi-sales-hit-11-million-and-could-overtake-commodore-64-35245709.html
jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/getting-gigabit-networking
raspberrypi.org/blog/testings-done/
amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-Model-Quad-Motherboard/dp/B01CD5VC92/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481293719&sr=8-2&keywords=pi 3
amazon.it/Raspberry-Pi-Modello-Quad-Core/dp/B00T2U7R7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481319172&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry pi 2
amazon.it/Raspberry-Model-Scheda-madre-Quad/dp/B01CD5VC92/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The same thing that pretty much always goes wrong with these SoCs, not open enough for the tinkerers, not powerful enough for the users.

Of course the second one is more the fault of shitty software than the hardware, but you can't change the cards you're dealt.

it's fine

The CPU overheating and chinese versions breaking all the time.

Otherwise I have no complaints, my Made in the UK version runs nicely and has great uptime through a powerbank as well.

nothing it does what it needs to do and does it cheaply and theyre small can put them out of sight i find the retro gaymen toxic though, i dont partake of the member berries

RISC OS is pretty much the only worthwhile thing to come from the Pi becoming relatively mainstream.

Really nifty and flightly little OS.

NIC over USB bus was a mistake.
100Mbit NICs aren't of this time either.

No USB 3.0

No Gigabit Ethernet

Selling only to distributors that charge obscene shipping despite being envelope ready.

Jesus christ is this 1994?

You seem to be in the wrong place try
>>>reddit

whta the f you need a micro pc to be usb 3 and gigabit

It was released 2002

>what went wrong?

Literally nothing. It's an educational device that serves its purpose very well. It can also double as a small home server which is pretty nice too.

>retro gaymen toxic

That's what I'd use it for. That and a local seed box.

Pi 2 Model B master race reporting in.

The ODROID-C2 is a better choice

>rpi 1
not much, but the "teach kids" angle is pretty stupid, it's for tinkerers and poorfags only.

>rpi 2
not much

>rpi 3
Released too soon with to little upgrade. The CPU boost doesnt really matter, it's the 1 usb 2.0 port and 100mbit network holding it back. Should have waited, and given it usb3/sata and gigabit and made it more expensive if they needed to, say $50 at release.

>rpi 0
Great, but released in too small quantity and even more than a year later you can only get one at a time with $5 "shipping".

This also the lack of gigabit ethernet and a sata port is disappointing. It could really be useful as a low power server if it was for the shared usb 2.0 bus.

I run two of them with raspian installed then a full lamp stack on them with webmin and virtualmin. It took some tinkering to get everything just right, but one i have running a bunch of php pages with a database for my business and the other runs a small vbulletin forum. No blazing speeds, but my power bill is significantly cheaper than it was running my old poweredge 2950

I have a Chinese version that's only used for kodi. It's great. I've been using it for months constantly streaming live 720p 60fps streams without any problems.

Nothing, it's on the way to becoming the biggest selling computer model ever, finally over taking the Commodore 64:

belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/raspberry-pi-sales-hit-11-million-and-could-overtake-commodore-64-35245709.html

How much cheaper?

I'm pretty sure all raspberry pis are made in china. Do you mean a knockoff?

To all the people complaining about a lack of gigabit ethernet, the rest of the hardware can't even handle that kind of throughput so a gigabit ethernet point would be a waste of money unless you overhauled the entire pi

Well they can't really be compared. The Commodore was used generally, and the Pi is made electronics hobbyists who also buy like 20 each.

Nope, RPis made in UK too

somewhere around $20 a month.

jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/getting-gigabit-networking

GBE is 20 years old tech

>Great, but released in too small quantity and even more than a year later you can only get one at a time with $5 "shipping".

My microcenter has them all the time. I bought one off the shelf when they were all sold out.

I dont even use the 4 pi's Ive built up. 1 2 ans 3 and 2 0's.

Everything I do with them I find is done better with other stuff. Most of the crap I did with them is on a freenas jail and the rest like emulator went onto stronger hardware for a better experience.

Its a cool idea for people who cant afford better.

>Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?
it probably overheated

too expensive

It's fine. I might buy one soon.

I still use my pi v1.

RISC OS is from 1987, but yea, it looks like that screenshot in 1994

how do i make sure i get a UK one?

why do you fucking care? You got something against little chink kids getting a handful of rice for their daily ration you fucking racist? It's not like the rpi foundation is going to use the money for dental care or anything like that.

>why do you fucking care?
Because I want the higher quality one

Order from a UK reseller off ebay. It'll be about 5-8€ more expensive, but so worth it, better build quality and better components. UK made 3's will have white accents in the ribbon cable ports, opposed to full black in PRC made.

Also, it says made in UK on the board.

cool

>Now that the dust has settled
I hate this meme

>However, for many real-world use cases, the Pi's other subsystems (CPU and disk I/O especially, since I/O is on a single, shared USB 2.0 bus) will limit the available bandwidth.
Your link proves my point

I picked one up cheaply to run the UniFi software for my access point and sabnzb. Also got a git repository that mirrors my repository on my vps. Kind of shit to run sabnzb on it so I'm probably going to move it to my pfsense box that have a shitload of space available and more processing power.

Can I trust the packaging info if it says "made in UK"? my pi is in an enclosure and I managed to fuck the screws threading so I can't disassemble the case without drilling out the screws.

>my pi is in an enclosure and I managed to fuck the screws threading so I can't disassemble the case without drilling out the screws.
lol

The case and screws were made in China. I'm not even sure if it's steel as it claims since the threading went to shit with normal force applied. The Chinese are crafty.

It's probably another case of JIS vs Philips

Thanks for the info, I did not know about rpi 0. The company I work in tries to build a product with Arduino. I'm trying to get them to use RPi but other RPis are too expansive - $30+. The Arduino they want to use is like $1.5 but it has 2.5Kb of RAM and 28Kb of flash for the firmware, its not going to be enough for the functionality they want.

RPis are for IoT and embedded devices. The main audience is not the hobbyists

>The main audience is not the hobbyists
No, it's school children, but hobbyists are one of the biggest groups nowadays.

What are they doing with the Arduinos?

There's also the Raspberry pi compute module.

>The main audience is not the hobbyists
Are you implying businesses use rpi for embedded professional tasks? If yes those are businesses I wouldn't want to do business with. I expect them to use industrially certified hardware.

>Are you implying businesses use rpi for embedded professional tasks?
They do. Apparently a lot of those big LED signs that give real time information about shit have Pi's in them.

What kind of certifications are you looking for?

raspberrypi.org/blog/testings-done/

>What are they doing with the Arduinos?
A computerized mini-bar.
>There's also the Raspberry pi compute module.
It does not have GPIO pins.

>Are you implying businesses use rpi for embedded professional tasks?
Why not? We don't need a lot of computation power, we need a lot of GPIO pins.
>I expect them to use industrially certified hardware.
Nah. You build the cheapest shit you can and then get it certified.

>It does not have GPIO pins.
are you making a product you're shipping, or just fuckign around?

The compute module has GPIO, you just need to plug it into a board.

Needed for CE to be allowed to be sold in European union. What's missing is IP rating, industrial operating temperature specification and no longterm availability plans.

Most hmi applications actually uses some kind of windows ce box.

>Why not? We don't need a lot of computation power, we need a lot of GPIO pins.
Maybe you shouldn't use prototyping products as production solutions? Get some ARM dev board with sufficient IO and then manufacture your own boards.

>Nah. You build the cheapest shit you can and then get it certified.
You are not getting industrial operating temperature specification for an off-the-shelf rpi. And enjoy re-certifying your shit when the board revision is updated which is beyond your control.

>Now that the dust has settled

Do everyone a favor and kill yourself because you're a worthless piece of shit and nothing you do will ever change that.

fucking this
50€ for a raspberry pi, not 3, 2!

>are you making a product you're shipping, or just fuckign around?

We are shipping the product. They shipped like 1000 of not computerized mini-bar before. We need to build the mini-bars and the server software to control them.

>The compute module has GPIO, you just need to plug it into a board.
But that's one more board which will cost money.

>Maybe you shouldn't use prototyping products as production solutions?
Yeah, maybe when we have higher volume of production.

>You are not getting industrial operating temperature specification for an off-the-shelf rpi.
The whole product will need certification anyway.
>And enjoy re-certifying your shit when the board revision is updated which is beyond your control.
I'm not sure it will need re-certification on every revision. I think it depends on the market you're targeting. If you need medical or military certifications it is more complicated. Not my job getting certifications anyway :^)

>But that's one more board which will cost money.
How much per unit? Is there not some kind of board already you can just make space to plug the compute module into?

just buy from amazon my man.

what can you do on a 35$ Pi3 that you can't on a 5$ Pi Zero? Just something with wifi?

it is from amazon that price lol

pi3 is much faster. With zero you need a bunch of adapters to plug anything in. Also no audio out jack.

pi 3 is €40 + shipping

amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-Model-Quad-Motherboard/dp/B01CD5VC92/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481293719&sr=8-2&keywords=pi 3

>what went wrong?

100mbit network

>How much per unit?
I don't know. I just discovered in this thread that it exists.
>Is there not some kind of board already you can just make space to plug the compute module into?
The guy who makes the electronics made a board for arduino. In theory he can make one for the compute module.

amazon.it/Raspberry-Pi-Modello-Quad-Core/dp/B00T2U7R7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481319172&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry pi 2

It was created

3 is cheaper
amazon.it/Raspberry-Model-Scheda-madre-Quad/dp/B01CD5VC92/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

probably the right solution. The compute module exists for going into manufactured products. You can develop on a normal Pi and when you're ready to manufacture, just use the compute module.

Kek

Is overheating really an issue? I have one running in my office for data collection and report generation for about half a year now without any issues granted they're not intense tasks.

hell yeah, China dont give a damn, by the time those products are shipped half way around the world and sold, they will have the money in the bank and they will be at the party drinking booze and rubbing elbows with the other rich pigfuckers

this

and no sata & || nvme

Yes, even with a heatsink you can feel it get pretty hot.

>is overheating really an issue?

yeah all so-called 'production' ie 24/7 rpi3 have cooling or fail within... quickly

people getting one before knowing if they actually need one. Way too many idiots that can't do shit and much less spend time researching a subject an do proper implementation

unless you have a switch or something to cut power to the powerbank after it's full you are killing it slowly user. Search around on how to properly have one attached and that it only kicks off when power is out.