Is a Chromebook a valuable option for basic tasks?

Is a Chromebook a valuable option for basic tasks?

basic tasks yes, but then one day you'll want to do that one other task which needs a real-ass computer, but you're sitting in front of a chromebook

>sometimes want a chromebook as a shitposting machine
>realize I need to be able to compile C, Verilog, and Java for school
>then want something with really good battery life, but don't want to spend the money on a macbook
Is the Thinkpad meme worth it lads? How good is the battery on one of them if you run Ubuntu?

Is a desktop + chromebook combo ok?

yes

Yes

Guess so. The battery I had is okay, say ~6 hours for a 6 cells with Archlinux. I'm pretty happy for the price.

yeah and no.
I fell for the x220 meme, I got it cheap from a friendo, the moment I had money I replace it with elitebook with bigger screen and also a clit.

Despite the good batt life and low temps at idle, when I play HD videos or do anything more than compile helloWorld.cpp it gets 80-90 C hot. If you are up to repasting and shitting with it, sure get one, but then again, don't go for the "light weight" meme, go for a confy screen size x220 was a mistake for me, I needed a bigger screen, most of the time I work in split screen and x220 dindt cut it, get at least t420 or t430 with keylid, but if are going for the t420-t430, you can get better elitebook for the same price.

it's better than nothing, but i still don't see the appeal of a chromebook over a normal laptop unless you want a smartphone -style, account-dependant app ecosystem instead of something more configurable.

install windows on your chromebook

If it's Vista or 7, yes.
If 8 and above, no.

What is crouton

Wtf Chromebooks are cancer. Expensive, less space and ram etc.
Get a used HP Elitebook. They are often better than Thinkpads and cheaper because they don't get memed so hard

>Wtf Chromebooks are cancer
>gag

ok great a roundabout way of installing linux on a chromebook, instead of... getting a regular laptop? and... installing linux on it??

What are some good

thinkpad thinkpad thinkpadthinkpadthinhlkpadthinpopad

yes user, shitposting from one right now. But only if you get it for really cheap. There is a Dell Chromebook 11 model for less than 250 bucks and some Lenovo for less than 150. Go with the ones that at least have 4gbs of ram.
I already posted this on other places I got for myself a Pixel just because I got it for less than 300 from some retard that got it full price. As much as I like it and how premium it feels there's no way any of these are worth more than 400 dollaroos

is there a way to watch my chinese girl cartoons on one of these things?

>valuable option

>Use web browser
>profit
Pretty bulletproof, user

How well does chrome OS run? Would running ubuntu on a chromebook be noticeably worse performance wise?

If you have 2 GB of RAM, yes
If you choose the 4 GB model, no

>few can do all of that on my Pixel LS

If you want to watch YouTube, answer emails, write word documents, and do absolutely nothing else, a Chromebook might be okay (botnet aside).

I have a work laptop that I use for exactly that, but it's an Asus, not a Chromebook. Cost me $200. It wants me to use (((((CloudStorage))))) but fuck that. The only thing I save are word files, so I don't need to save things in the NSACloud.

One which lets you switches between ChromeOS and Linux without reboots

I played Kerba Space Program on a chromebook with these specs:

2955u Haswell dual core
2gb RAM
16gb storage

It was very playable but RAM was the issue in other stuff.

>verilog
>chrome os
Nice fucking b8 senpai.

That's what Linux is for.

you can do that with a chromebook, just use crouton
not as nice as a proper environment but way cheaper, smaller and longass battery life

I use one for taking notes at university. Since I go to a community college I have my PC at home so it works for me. Just try to find one with a 1080p screen.

I'm getting a Thinkpad 13 Chromebook

Yes, that is the reason it was created.

a 70$ chink windows tablet can do more tasks than this piece of shit

>thin pop ad

>Is a Chromebook a valuable option for basic tasks?
Get a 4gb ram and you will be fine. Even if you do not like Chrome you can install any Linux Distribution with ease.

A project for ChromeOS that is no longer actively maintained.

What did you say about Chromebook!!

i know it sounds like a meme, but it is gentoo based

I think they're nice

What is a chromeboook?

Pfff
>Vista
>Windows 8

You can always install different distributions onto a chromebook. That is what my brother did when he was in highschool.

I got an asus x205ta about a year ago. It's pretty okay desu, I hadn't expected to use a 200e laptop this much, but the battery life and weight are just great.
As for light programming, it runs django and numpy fine which is what I use mostly.

There's probably a newer model now/soon with better cpu

Chromebooks are fine for basic tasks and certain productivity things (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite tasks). They make a pretty solid replacement for notebooks.

I think if you're ingrained into the Google ecosystem, then a Chromebook is definitely comparable to a regular laptop. Plus, the cloud storage system + web app style that Chromebooks go for is supremely useful if you switch between computers for productivity a lot.

>replacement battery: $100
>replacement keyboard: $100
>replacement screen: $100
>stock thermal paste baked solid, have to chip it off with a knife

Elitebooks are great but I wouldn't buy one second-hand

>Chromebooks
>expensive
You must be the king of poorfags and NEETs if you think Chromebooks are expensive.

I take my chromebook to college and it works great. Its really light and the battery lasts a really long time.
If I need real Linux, I can always run Ubuntu in it with crouton.

Does it run ubuntu well.
I'm thinking of buying a chromebook with 2gb of ram.
Dunno if it's enough for a vm.

second that

It doesn't run Ubuntu in a vm, though.
You run it in chroot. You really don't need a lot of RAM for that.

I have one of the first chromebooks that came out, and it's also one of the worsts that were ever made.
PIc related.

And it runs Lubuntu alongside ChromeOS without any issues.

>buy chromebook
>install linux
>ssh to powerful server

It's what I do basically.
My Chromebook is connected to my home server via OpenVPN and I use it to bypass the college's proxy.

I don't know what verilog is, but I used a chromebook to get a CS degree and was able to compile C++/Java; etc.

Verilog is a hardware description language (you use it to design circuits and shit) and to compile it, it takes a lot of horsepower. It's not that the compilers that already exist are shit, it's that the program has to simulate the hardware at a transistor level so it knows for sure that what you wrote is the same circuit you would draw. I don't know the inner workings of Quartus (the IDE), but that's basically what it's doing at a high level.

I have a t430 with the bigger battery
I run xubuntu 16.04 and get 8hrs out of the box with no software configuration.

This, I got one maybe 2013ish and shit the bed recently.
Battery was the first to go but now I have a power issue with the mobo. When it gets unplugged and you plug it back in the power light blinks a bunch. Can take a half hour of trying to get it on but once it does it boots and shuts down fine... until it gets unplugged again. Then it won't wanna turn on again.
Pretty much consider it dead at this point

Yep. It's the only laptop worth buying. If you spend more on a higher-end laptop you will regret it.

Yeah.

It is fine with the default Chromium OS for this. It's also great for more advance stuff if you overwrite the BIOS and install a linux distro.

just got a t460 windows is preconfigured for like 20+ hours of random web use. Linux has to be optimized to get that much.

How does one optimize battery life on linux?

You can add packages that limit processor power when you aren't doing much to cut power usage. Also turn down brightness among other things. The same functions are build into windows in settings for laptops. Just have to add it all yourself in Linux.

got this (HP Chromebook 13 G1) to compliment my desktop for $350, waiting on it to arrive currently