Home server hardware

I want to have a home server to deploy test web applications on and host my dev portfolio

Is there any benefit for me in buying a raspberry pi 3 for 40€ if you can get a 7 year old laptop for the same price, including a fucking monitor?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102144&cm_re=NUC-_-56-102-144-_-Product
ebay.com/itm/Intel-NUC-mini-PC-NUC5CPYH-with-2GB-RAM-and-1TB-HDD-Ubuntu-/152350569071?hash=item2378cd326f:g:R6IAAOSwgmJX1ZWu
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/initial-server-setup-with-ubuntu-16-04
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157728
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAEE3WF4498
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108428
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No

Yep

The Raspberry is space-saver, doesn't heat up that much (compared to a 7yo laptop), doesn't consume so much power and doesn't need a fucking monitor (who fucking needs a fucking monitor if deploying web apps? jesus)

Also, you can do a lot of pretty neat stuff with a Pi, something you can't do with a laptop.

IMO, everybody should have at least one of those beasts at home

Lower power usage maybe? I'd be a lot more willing to leave a raspberry pi server on 24/7 than a laptop.
But in terms of value that laptop is probably better than the raspberry pi.

You could get a few years of professional VPS hosting for 40€ that will have a better connection, peering to the public, and reliability. It's your portfolio, take it seriously.

which one though? It's $80 maplebux for a model 3 (not including shipping), a far cry from the $5 computer they advertise themselves as

$80 for a rPi is shilling lvl 9000, lurk more and find a decent price

The $5 computer they're probably advertising is the pi zero.

RPI3 runs rather hot. The primary advantage of the RPI is the GPIO and entirely exposed SMBus/I2C. If you have reasons to use this such as employing sensors or managing microcontrollers the RPI is superior. You don't need a monitor but you'll need ssh set up.

The advantage of the laptop is at least 1 open SATA bus and probably a few PCIe lanes that can accept more storage. The laptop would be a better solution for NAS and routing (read pfsense), if they are priced similarly.

How much power will I save upgrading my Phenom II X4 with a modern FX?

Not really unless you bleed out the anus paying for electricity. I'd prefer the laptop for built-in battery backup and convenience.

WRONG!!

Spend a bit more and get a real computer like a micro atx computer or smaller. Also you will be able to configure it as a network backup in an other room so in case you decide to burn your badroom the backup comp sruvives.

0, they all use a shit-ton of power

you'll be saving electricity and space with the pi, but you'll be at a disadvantage of flexibility, because of multiple reasons:

>weak CPU compared to something as weak as a modern Celeron
>ARM binaries only, no x86, some software does not have an arm port
>CPU can't handle a lot of traffic on web servers (also because of 100mbps ethernet)
>need to get mini heatsinks if you want it to stay cool, possibly a fan, or else it will freeze up from the heat especially if you OC it
>can't use regular hard drives without an adapter to USB, and it has to be a powered hard drive or a dual-ended supplement usb cable for it to be powered properly

It's just not worth the trouble for a serious server. They're great for small hobby projects but the laptop idea will serve you much better simply because of the architecture and the better performance, not to mention by definition it includes a battery backup simply by being a laptop.

None at all.

Raspi is great for a low power media centre or something to mess about with. But if you need functionality you can get any old machine for the same price that will be less fucking about.

$80 in Trudollars is like $50 in real money

Takes less space, consumes less power and it's silent, while the old laptop will have fans and the disk spinning.

Get one of the Pi clones with dedicated ethernet and SATA. Pi has real bad I/O for server applications and a laptop isn't a server, at least get a Mac Mini or something.

>server
>mac mini
kek

Still better idea than a laptop
Never used one myself for a server, but people say they have been running them 24/7 for years without problems, still more compact than most desktop computers you would use for that application

NUCs have been objectively better than mac minis for quite some time If you can spend $500 then throw an SSD on this -
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102144&cm_re=NUC-_-56-102-144-_-Product

I have several RPis, and I use them for all kinds of stuff. Living in Euro money places, you really can't fine it for less? I've literally never payed more than $35 for mine. Either way, I like it, and I've done several fun things with mine. Also, as other have said, a monitor? Really? If you want it to run "server" loads, it doesn't need one.

If you're looking for a competing product, I'd look at older NUCs. When you take into account the cost of the Pi, the SD card, a power adapter, and the case, many people spend around $100. You can find old NUCs for around that, use an SSD you have laying around, and you've got an upgradable platform with more power and x86 support (as opposed to ARM)

Aw, we were thinking the same thing! =D

I'd go to ebay, though. Used ones are still faster than an RPi. That, that link with the free memory, not bad
ebay.com/itm/Intel-NUC-mini-PC-NUC5CPYH-with-2GB-RAM-and-1TB-HDD-Ubuntu-/152350569071?hash=item2378cd326f:g:R6IAAOSwgmJX1ZWu

Yeah, this is a good idea too, just went with all the "cheap option" shit OP asked for

Looks pretty good, and i/o on a NUC is superior to a Pi, and x86 with UEFI would be less screwing around for someone who just wants to deploy web stuff.

>host my dev portfolio

Any reason you can't rent a VPS?

My thoughts exactly!

Is a used x220 a good idea for a home server? I have a spare port replicator that I could use to organize cables

Is this a new /net/ thread?

Why not get one of those small x86 boxes instead senpai?

>Why not get one of those small x86 boxes instead senpai?
I haven't seen a decent one cheaper than $250, while a used x220 goes for 150-200, depending on condition and it has battery backup, screen and keyboard should I ever need physical access.

>Is a used x220 a good idea for a home server?
No laptop is good as a server, they are gimped with power saving, cooling and are NOT meant to be run long periods of time

Get a NUC like or even a used mac mini like said, still several times better ideas then using a laptop

I think I saw some on Memezone for 100$ or something

Is it totally retarded to run xmpp with history logging (for private use only) on a raspberry pi?
Would that crush the sd card in weeks?

I'm already having the pi and would rather just use a public server than buying new stuff.

>How much power will I save
You won't. The FX CPUs are more of a side grade if you have a high clocked Phenom II

I'm using a pi 2 for a home server, with two 2TB hdds in a drive bay in RAID1 and it is smaller, quieter, produces less heat, and uses less power than my old recycled computer server did. It is weaker of course, so whatever you do can't have a high bandwidth. One of my friends turned his pi 2 into a plex server and mentioned that streaming 1080p video was just barely too much for it. I stream mp3s, serve HTTP, torrent, and use it for backups without issue.

I'd say the odroid c2 for 40$ is the best bang for buck since their cores are clocked to 2Ghz as opposed to 1.2Ghz for most cortex a53 cores

Backing up with a few MB/s bandwidth? no thanks

Pi sucks because it shares it's USB and Ethernet bus, both suffer because of that

Seriously, look at those Pi clones with onboard SATA and dedicated ethernet, they cost the same, are open as well and far better suited without taking any more power then the Pi

mac minis are actually pretty reliable servers

Why use ESXi on such a weak platform?

Because Windows Server won't run nice natively due to missing drivers.
Furthermore with ESXi I'm able to set up multiple VM on one mac mini

PLUS my backup software relies on VMware or Hyper-V (Veeam Backup & Replication)

Do you want a server, or do you want a development environment?
If server Buy a server (HP Micro or something)
If you want a dev / test machine buy the Pi 3.

Or do like and put ESXi on it and have both on the same machine

get pi
install mate
make headless (with only one command)
make auto-login (if power goes off)

always there - always on

I have it backing up with cron schedule

is wonderful - server is there all the time -
zero space, zero power

setup in mininal time

they do not run hot

they can be clocked -- then they would run hotter

I can max out my cpu 100% on all four cores (infinite looping) & it doesn't go over 60deg

they run (lemme check)

temp=47.2'C

with heating on -- overheating in the pi3 is not an issue .. they run cool

Something like this.

>Is there any benefit for me in buying a raspberry pi 3

There are benefits of buying one of the dozens of other ARM boards those are superior to the pie in every possible way.

When will you faggots finally realize that ARM mini PCs exist beyond this freedom-hating garage? With better processors, more RAM, SATA connector, SoC ethernet and not goddamn USB, gigabit ethernet, free software friendly HW and so on.

I wouldn't mind one with PoE. The only cheap similar devices I can find are some older Geode based ones.

I use an old desktop for this, wish I would have done a laptop though.

Newfag here, this looks cool. Any guide to do this?

>install mate
>installing a DE on a headless server
for what reason

Using a Wandboard myself,
but Pis do have the best support.

Sucks to be stuck on an old kernel version.

I got an OrangePi PC on aliexpress for 15 bucks + 3 for cable + 5 for enclosure.
I put ubuntu 16.04 with no DE, setup ssh-only access, run several rails projects over passenger on it. Just werks.
Just follow one of those guides on digitalocean to setup everything if you're a complete noob.

digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/initial-server-setup-with-ubuntu-16-04

>IMO, everybody should have at least one of those beasts at home
Okay, sell one to the average home user. Most people dont need to deploy web apps

The raspberry pi is almost as powerful as a Pentium 4. If you can get an i3 for that price, go for the i3.

cuz m8 is a lightweight de duh

$5 is for the Pi zero. It's a single core armv6 at 1GHz.
$35 gets you a quad core arm-a53 at 1.3GHz per core.

That's USD btw.

>all these retards shitting on the pi
for $40 you can buy a board that can do pretty much anything your want in your home. 100Mb/s is good enough for you fags, I stream 4k video from my pi to my tv and it works just fine

They're $35 in the US, you're getting cucked.

Nope, and lightweight or not it'd still be retarded.

raspberry pi is literally garbage and only should be used to educate children

it's slow as fuck and useless when used in home

Why do people not go for VPSs? I mean I have a PI and VPSs and VPSs for the average thing is $5 a month and has way better connection than a PI

>a bit more
>micro atx computer
>testing purposes
>WRONG!!
>WRONG!!

>I know they dont cost that much in canada
>Google for 10 seconds
>buyapi.ca
>pic related

>225 bucks where I live

My friend international shipping might disagree.

Mine runs a tor node.
Its fine, just fine.

You should never need a "fucking monitor" for your pi after installing the OS and enabling ssh. If you're using a GUI on it after installing your OS you're garbage and shouldn't be on Sup Forums. Servers don't have GUIs.

Are there any decent enclosures out there for a DIY NAS? Or at least anything that's adaptable?

All the examples I've ever seen are shoebox tier DIY jobs, building something like this I'd least want to look decent otherwise it's better to buy a prebuilt one.

Less space, probably faster, less power consumption, servers should be run headless.

Also buy an orangepi, they're cheaper and better.

Well what the fuck do you want? You're only going to have a choice between shoebox size, tower or rack mounted shit.

no HDMI

>enabling ssh
you should never need a monitor period. SSH is enabled by default.

Depends on what distro you throw on it but sure.

1) Buy a case with lots of 3.5" slots
2) Buy a cheap system
3) Buy a bunch of SATA cards
4) ???
5) Profit

I've just got thinking now, say you shove a Pi into a regular ol' PC case. How do you wire up the front input panel (Power, LEDs, etc) onto the Pi board?

Raspian Pixel look good, retro gaming

What things could you do with a home server?

seedbox

Fucking hell why not just buy a SAS hba? Fuck those cables.

Personally mine is a centralised storage and backup server for all my PCs, phones and tablets, plex server with which I can watch anything from my 2.5tb library with plex and a few VMs.

Fuck RPIs just look on Craigslist/eBay/gumtree for some used stuff, you'll come across some nice bargains from time to time.

>2016
>not using an old phone as a server

What if you want super low power usage?

enjoy your 2MB/s IO

this is stupid reasoning
an old laptop is much more easy to deploy, has a built in kvm, built in UPS, and can comes with a better mem/proc

the rasberry pi is a toy that has limited real world use outside of specialized applications

You can connect LEDs to GPIO and program them however you want, can solder them to regular raspi LEDs if you feel confident as well. USB is not hard to wire as well, you could rip USBcable, use male plug to connect to raspi slots and connect ripped wires to corresponding colors of your case cables.
Power button may be a little bit tricky though. PC mobo got stand-by power which allows it to "do things" even when your PC is not running, power button works like trigger for mobo to switch on PSU etc. so you'd have to find solution for enabling your power support in similar way. Reset button will be straight-forward GPIO programmed thing as it only needs to work when PI is ON.

Then buy a low power cpu? It's not hard, if you want decent IO then you need half decent hardware.

If you're happy with 100mbit and shitty speeds then get a raspi.

True I think it would be good to keep a backup of all your things, probably what I would do.

If your server isn't under heavy load it won't use a lot of power.

Does this seem like a decent home server/web host? I want to use my RPi for other projects and feel like a dedicated mini-PC would be a nice addition.

MB/CPU Combo: ASRock J3455-ITX, $80
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157728

Memory: G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3, $50
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

Storage: Western Digital WD RE4 1TB, $50
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAEE3WF4498

Case/PSU Combo: In Win BP655 mini ITX, $60
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108428

Total Power Draw: 40W (Worst Case Scenario, 100% utilization)
Energy Usage (per year): 350kWh
Energy Cost (per year): $42
TOTAL: $240 + $42/year (if running at 100%, 24/7/365)

>too retarded to understand we're talking about tech interested people, not illiterate normies