/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/262729830432
coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t420
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

x220 masterrace reporting in.

whats the most compatible distro?
especially for keyboard compatibility.

people gonna throw shade, but honestly solus worked with everything with no teaking. debian/fedora/ubuntu should be fine too. i tried xubuntu but it shat itself on suspend

FreeBSD with some cavaets

>Nasty ass keyboard from used x220
>Washed it with water
>x220 doesn't want to boot
>when it boots keyboard doesn't respond

Well I guess you can't wash the keyboard then. or it has not dried "enough". Either way, had to order a replacement keyboard.

If a laptop keyboard is "nasty ass" you should consider replacement immediately.

i have been thinking of trying bsd. honestly, linux eventually lets me down.

lol get rekt

Ubuntu master race - it just werks

>ubuntu
been there, done that. no thank you.
canonical can suck dick.

That is what was going to happen regardless, I wanted to see if it could actually be cleaned. and considering that so many people spill much worse shit on their laptops I figured why not try to wash it.

Tis still drying, will attempt later to get it back on.

T430 at $200 worth it?

you should have disassembled it then cleaned it with alcohol.

only if it has 1600x900 and the shipping is free

Still an option. Got nothing to lose, may try that user.

>T420
>i7 2620M @ 2.70GHz
>8GB RAM/500GB HDD
>1600 x 900 pixels of probably being replaced with an X1 LCD
>Small crack near eSATA & Light scratches on underside
>Windows 7 Sticker (Just the Sticker, no Windows)
>$169.99

Picked up this puppy on Craigslist yesterday. Did I do good?

it should be fine though. maybe you should let it completely dry.

sounds good man.

Should I get a T460? I want something to bring to college with me on a daily basis, would be used mainly for programming

Jesus christ is that the same laptop???

Actually amazing that it doesn't make the battery go boom. Maybe I should rewash that keyboard..

I have no idea how to tell that, I'm looking at an ebay listing.

now upgrade to a quad core cpu

and triple drives

and gentoo linux

t430
1600x900
backlit keyboard
i7 3520
ssd
8gb ram

Should I pay $300 for this? Most of the standard ones that go for around $200 I have seen are the shitty display version that I would have to install more ram and an ssd in anyway which would cost about $100 any way.

I have an x220 with xubuntu for the past 2 years. it shat itself with suspend but a few restarts and system updates later it fixed itself.

i7-3720QM for maximum power

Got this T420 for 99, did I do good?

ebay.com/itm/262729830432

does this work in the t420? being that it came out with sandy bridge and not ivy bridge? Does the bios need to be updated?

Yeah, thats a pretty good deal
Noice

>poorlittlewhiteguy.jpg

Thinking of buying a 380 that was gutted a shoving a rpi inside it
The io is recessed so i could cut out and install a decent io panel on it, with plenty of room for a big battery

It may need upgrading to coreboot
coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t420

x201/openbsd lads its quite nice

X1 carbon for $250. Are they any good? Just a "throw in backpack and work on programming projects" laptop.

Hey guys.
I have a T430, and as I was fixing some stuff I removed the CMOS battery, and now I can't connect to the internet.
Already tried reinstalling drivers but maybe there is a wrong setting in the BIOS.
Anyone know how to fix?

Middle mouse button stopped opening links into new tabs, but can still activate scroll with the trackpoint. Anyone might have any idea what may have happened or experienced this before?

Anyone have the x62?

are thinkpad x220's with an i7 worth it for only $200?

definitely, even an i5 one, but none are woth it if they arent in good condition.

Holy shit I'm a genius!
I had the Wifi switch switched off.

>Washed it with water
its that the only liquid to clean you know?
kekd as he started pouring more and more water on it like "damn it die already"

Does this look like a good deal to you guys?

It's going for $100 aussie dollaridoos at the moment including postage.

It would replace my AOD270 which I am pretty sick of at this point.

can i swap the led in the thinklight for a brighter one?

Yes. It's pretty good for America and probably an amazing deal for Australia.

Oh shit, I just found an x131e for ~$40. Doesn't have a battery or charger cable, but it looks like a steal.

Any glaring issues you guys can think of?

>128gb ssd
>4gb ram
>doesn't say what processor it has, just that it's a celeron.

in the next one he pours hot as fuck water on it. says it only killed the hdd.

>celeron
not worth it.

Yeah I'm going to go with this one instead.

my x220 has the same processor. the laptop i used before was a celeron. that computer made me suicidal at times.

How do you like the processor?
I'm still trying to figure out why this thing is going for the price it is.

the ram is shit but you can upgrade it on the cheap

its great. i am poor so its the fastest computer i have owned. uncompromising files is fast as fuck and converting video is also fast.

somewhat this.

just buy it for the SSD and maybe put the ram into another laptop?

soic clip for ME surgery ordered. will report back once i brick my x220

Hello, just bought a ADATA Premier SP600 128GB SSD m.2 2242 for my x250 for $65 ($79 all up + shipping) in AUD. My main drive is a 128gb SSD.

Just wondering how much memory will I need to partition for a first time linux plaything. Gonna have a shot at arch. Will 40gb be enough and have the rest as extra storage?

I used to have a circa 2005ish eMachines with a Celeron in around 2008....never again. I don't care even to find out about them.

Celerons aren't all bad. the x131e with the celeron CPU in it, is as fast as a P2C, while offering much better battery life. It is good for machines you're not going to be using intensively.

No.

You can't use your autism as an argument user. If you have not used a celeron since 05 and that is your only comparison point, then you just dont know celerons of today.

my laptop i bought last year runs a celeron. they're garbage. just because you used a computer with one in (((((2005))))) does make your argument relevant.

>my laptop i bought last year runs a celeron. they're garbage

Whats the model? What do you use it for?

Thoughts on T460p with 2K screen or is it a meme?

Is a 1080p screen enough?

It is not hard to take the keyboard off Thinkpads. Just look up a video of how to disassemble your model.

Go 1080p.

High DPI support under Windows is still fucking terrible, and Linux isn't all that much better.

Wait a year or two and see if Microsoft (and the app vendors) can get their shit together.

What's the thinnest thinkpad that you guys think is worth it?

I think Rossman has finally lost it

>Windows
>scaling

Just stick with 1080p.

Yeah, one of the few things Apple does well is the fonts and adjusting the screen resolutions. Just can't stomach the price difference between a T460p vs. a Retina Macbook Pro.

>e

trash is free on the street

Specs/condition/price paid/planned upgrades?

Can OpenBSD install from a USB stick without problems?

Good luck, hopefully it won't be bricked but liberated from "the botnet that be".

I need recommendations on msata ssd, new panel and ram for my x220

whatever msata ssd is cheaper and that isn't kingston
dunno about x220 panels
whatever ram is cheaper, all ram is the same

I got mine with
i5-3360M
8G RAM
1600x900
no backlight and no ssd
for $280

Considering thinkpads are hard to come by here, I think I have made a good deal.
Make sure you check whether the bios is unlocked and computrace is disabled. Also check the physical condition of the body. If you are able, see that the no internal parts are missing (hdd caddy, all memory sticks are there etc)

I been wondering about doing the IPS panel upgrade. Any of you anons have a picture side by side for comparison of TN vs IPS

>Picture
You want to saw the difference between TN and IPS on TN panel?

When updating drivers, do you guys get the executables from the lenovo website or do you look for the individual drivers online and then update them in the device manager? I want to update my drivers, but can't find them unless I get the executables. Should I trust lenovo to not install some bullshit bloatware on my laptop?

user you keep talking like that imma suck your dick, nothing gay about it.

I was also wondering what was the impact on battery life with a IPS.

The driver is rather just the driver, some drivers like the wireless ones come with something like a connection utility which can be used in place of the standard windows utility. You can also use the utility which will identify missing drivers and download them for you.

Too bad that they don't offer driver packs as either an archive or an ISO file, so you could download all drivers and utilities for a given model at once and keep them for offline use without hunting down the individual files (even more tedious if you want to make sure the checksums are correct).

>Too bad that they don't offer driver packs as either an archive or an ISO file, so you could download all drivers and utilities for a given model at once and keep them for offline use without hunting down the individual files (even more tedious if you want to make sure the checksums are correct).

msfn forum used to be the place where they would guide you through that sort of driver pack building guide for you. you could add all the driver packs onto a windows unattended install. I'd suggest looking there if you feel like making a driver pack for thinkpads or your thinkpad in particular.

Don't mind my language.

I don't think there is a difference in power consumption.

I5 some shit ssd 800p 200 kiwibux
Easy but need WiFi firmware same as lincucks

I've tried to put a SIM into the WWAN module of my x220 but I've fucked up since it was too small and now I can't get it out.
How do I disassemble in order to just remove the stuck sim?

OYY VEY

Hardware Maintenance Manual
Read the OP post

I'll try it out

i can get an x61s for 99$ /tpg/, with an ssd for 60$ would that be worth my 160$?
and would it be sufficiently fast under debian for some programming, writing notes in lectures and general uni use?

why is this so funny

What's the best thinkpad with an ibm logo on it and is an x220t a good buy?

i just figured something out about a fake error in linux, (could be only happening to some distros)

if i boot it up (without a splash screen hiding boot text)

if i boot it up and it is not plugged in to the charger running on battery only i get some error about power management

Enabling power management...** Message: Failed to connect to the D-Bus daemon: failed to connect to socket /usr/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: no such file or directory

but if i boot it up with the battery charger plugged in i dont get this anomaly of an error message,

so if anyone sees this it dont mean anything other than a false error message caused by the battery charger not being plugged in

oh yeah, forgot to add this is on a Thinkpad T510 (Lenovo)

lol

its a asus x553s. it has a lot of good qualities but the processor is not one of them.

wait, you are the guy who made the white thinpad? how many do you have?

where can europeans get genuine, lenovo made 9cell/9cell slice batteries for the t430?

Any experience on 6 cell X200 batteries from Aliexpress? Seller's name is "RongTop Store". Is the battery an original, genuine Lenovo product or the trappings of one & some whatever-quality China 18650s?

i have 6 total
my t42 is my main machine, the r52 is for storage and was painted white, the x41t is for drawing, the r30 is for nostalgia, the g40 is for "fugg, laptop p4" and the 380ed was originally purchased for use at work where i needed something that was easily compatible with cnc machines from the 90's
now its just used for doom and sim city 2000 though

in a shop ? opened a random webshop typed t430 - 9 cell original lenovo batery - 123€, whats the problem ?

Yay! I just got my X230.

Now should I go with the included W7 Home Premium, pirate W7 Pro or go with XP for maximum compatibility with old weeb games?

Linux, old VNs run great with wine

>press any key to
SHUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>whats the problem ?
The price.