/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
It's official: Note7 units in the US will stop charging on December 19, except Verizon's
gsmarena.com/its_official_note7_units_in_the_us_will_stop_charging_on_december_19_except_verizons-news-22092.php

WSJ: There will be an OLED iPhone next year, but mass adoption will wait until 2018
gsmarena.com/there_will_most_likely_be_an_oled_iphone_next_year_but_mass_adoption_has_to_wait_at_least_until_2018-news-22091.php

ZTE announces Nougat preview program for Axon 7 users in US
gsmarena.com/zte_announces_nougat_preview_program_for_axon_7_users_in_us_-news-22083.php

Oppo could start selling smartphones in the U.S. by the end of 2016
phonearena.com/news/Oppo-could-start-selling-smartphones-in-the-U.S.-by-the-end-of-2016_id88846

Samsung Plans All-Screen Design in New Galaxy S8 Phones
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-08/samsung-said-to-plan-all-screen-design-in-new-galaxy-s8-phones-iwfyts38

old

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=69940129&postcount=2108
teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/7110-rom-cyanogenmod-11-sch-r760/
teamuscellular.com/Forum/forum/272-galaxy-s-ii-romskernelsmods/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ahh conflicting opinions. you think the bootloop issue and battery isn't that bad then? it's also a fair bit more expensive than the moto g, but it could be better for the later years. i mean it's an investment, but if it is substantially better specs-wise, and with more regular updates, i'd definitely considerr it.

Closest would be the Redmi 4 Prime, its just slightly smaller and has an extra GB of ram, almost no chinkphones come with amoled displays and those who do are either underwhelming or really expensive, i dont see the point of them as all they offer is being more visible in sunlight and innacurate/saturated "vibrant" colors at the cost of draining more battery if your video/game/wallpaper is too colorful and possible screen burn-in after 3 or so years.

Are you ? If so then just buy a Moto G4 or shell out extra monies for a Moto Z Play, that one has amolel display, good specs, all the features of the A5 plus gyrometer, much better camera and is known for having good battery duration, it is also getting Nougat on december 28 or mid january like most other motorola phones.

Hey, looking to get a new phone for my mother
USA, Verizon, A good camera, as well as good speakers are important, the budget is 350$, she has small hands so nothing bigger than 3" across. Thanks in advance.

>mom
>small phone

Even if your parents arent technologically retarded id suggest giving them an old iphone/SE and calling it a day, the se is like 400 though.

What's a good place to read up on bugs/fixes of Xiaomi updates? The official forum is horrible, elementary school English and hell to navigate with 20+ pages of people posting just Thks.
Since the last stable update to MIUI 8.1.1.0 the battery drains pretty fast and I think it's because even when you disable the gps is stays on (no icon shows though). Anyone with a Redmi 3S notice this? Any fixes?

Just get her an iPhone 5c, easy for the more tech illiterate and smol in the hand.

I have a very old phone and want to root it now. However, most of the old guides have links that have been dead for years.

How do I root my phone? It uses a very old version of Android.

CAPTCHA: FOR SALE SAMSUNG

Those are definitely options, she likes Android more than iOS however.

Xperia Z5 Compact.

Honestly wish I had some extra dosh to get one.

Is the age of Xiaomi over?
Will zuk take over as the budget king?

Try kingoroot first, after that just use another SU app instead of the cancerous kingo one.

Unfortunately there are no retard proof android phones sans those samsung J1/J3 phones, theyre like 4.5 inches and easy mode can be enabled on them.

Another good choice would be the Z3C, it is very expensive though.

Stop shilling this shit phone.

Whoa, kingoroot? Why?

I've heard it's botnet.

Yeah and i told you to get rid of the SU manager, SuperSU is botnet as well but there are a few foss options, check on f-droid.

Why would you want root access on an old phone?

>shit phone
But xiaomi aren't that bad for the price.

Feel free to buy an iPhone if xiaomi or zuk aren't up to your standards baka

>if you dont buy the succ you must be an apple retard

Fuck off mate, motorola and xiaomi for budget phones are the best, no other brands come close

> Yeah and i told you to get rid of the SU manager,
I don't know what you mean by that.

> there are a few foss options, check on f-droid.
Where on F-Droid?

> Why would you want root access on an old phone?
Because my new one is unrootable.

But, Motorola = Lenovo = Zuk, therefore zuk is part of best brand for budget phones?
Why such aggressive hostility? You're not being paid for this, are you?

Was going to replace my seriously aging phone with the OnePlus 3t but hearing all about the snapdragon 835 has made me decide to wait a little bit. Anyone else always putting off getting something just because better tech will be out within a few months?

I think it would be better if you just told us what phone you have and we will see what can be done to root it without aid of botnet apps.

Samsung Galaxy SII, SCH-R760, US Cellular.

No. Just buy what you want and enjoy it. Buyers remorse is for the weak willed and the poor.

How did I do?

Alright guys, I have already posted a review of my new Honor 8 two weeks ago, but I tough that I should state a few things. Things that you won't hear anywhere else.

Pros:
>cheap
>REALLY FAST
>looks nice (the white one, but it depends on your taste)
>battery life is perfect (pic: heavy-ish use)
>Ir, headphone jack, sd card
>camera is good (I don't even use it but, the pictures looked good)
>XDA has some good stuff for it and it's easily rootable

U decide:
>fingerprint sensor button is on the back and it's programmable
>EMUI
I am coming from stock android, and I do actually like it better

Cons:
>glass back could feel a bit slippery, and makes the phone fragile
>the music processing is below than average (4/10)
>lock and volume buttons aren't perfect, both placement and clickiness

Conclusion: This phone is a 9/10 for me

Fug.

I almost bought this but decided on the zuk z2 pro for a little more.

Thanks for the review user, my sister is looking for a new phone and this definitely looks better than the oppo r9 she's thinking of getting

Is unofficial unlock of RN3P still possible on miui 6.12.8?
It is not booting with old patched emmc_appsboot.mbn anymore.

I just want to run cm14.1.
forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=69940129&postcount=2108

Doesn't xiaomi update their phones on a weekly basis? :^)

>650+ for an old phone
>an imeme at that
>seller:rojas1921

I hope that cholo stabs you for being such a fucking faggot.

I got mine for (around) 250 euro from t-mobile, on black friday with my dad's company's account. I think it was a very good price because it would be like 450 euro, here. The iphone prices average around 1100 euro.
How much did you got the ZUK for ?

Looks like you have kingroot, one click root and root genius, just install them all, try it and tell me if it works.

Your phone has official CM builds, id suggest rooting it with whatever works, going to the cyanogen website and grabbing the custom recovery, gapps and rom, then flashing it and starting from zero, you dont need to root anything again as you can enable root access from settings.

So unbelievably, extraordinarily, absolutely, and completely fucking terrible.

> pic related: costs direct from Apple, new

The honor 8 is ~400aud on aliexpress, very good price in my opinion.

I paid 470 aud for the zuk.

Both are pretty good for the price, but the honor 8 will be one of those what iffs for me since I'm horrible at deciding and just impulse bought the zuk because I liked the design more after weeks of indecisiveness.

Where's the list of Sup Forums approved android apps

also how do i download luckypatcher without meming myself with malware, there's like 50 sites hosting this thing

Which ones of those goes from least to most botnet?

Why should I flash a ROM?

> Sup Forums approved
What the fuck?

>lucky patcher hosted on 50 sites
What the fuck?

Dude. No.
Just leave.

Also, I don't see the build for my phone.

just ordered an htc 10

what am i in for?

>just ordered an htc 10
>what am i in for?
Why don't you tell us when it comes in?

Fucking idiot.

>being poor
>in a thread where people shill old phones all the time

>6s non-plus model
Nice try

Wow, you sure got me!

Even then, you did a shit job.

> used
> carrier locked
> only a hundred bucks less
LMAO F A M

> not paying the extra hundred bucks for a pristine unlocked phone directly from Apple, who I assume also has a good warranty
> claiming we're poor
L M O A F A M
M
O
A
F
A
M

Why aren't you guys shilling Oukitel? The guys at csg were successful at baiting australians into buying them.

Can someone explain this to me?

>braided micro USB cable from power bank can charge my phone at 1.3 - 1.4A 4.9V-5V
>plug the same cable + power bank into my laptop and it drops to 4.74v 1.15A

What the fuck is this? That's below usb spec, isn't it? 5v+- 5% ?

I'm thinking of getting the LG v20

Any opinions? I'm Verizon and am getting a new phone because my htc 1 is finally kicking the bucket.

Enjoy your bootloop.

>at baiting australians into buying it
Ausfag here, got a friend with the k10000. Jealous of the battery life he gets, but I'm not buying a phone that fucking chunky.

Might get an updated model of something like the k6000 pro though. Maybe when they finally release the premium...

Just picked it up

It was brand new, sealed, and unactivated, with a clean imei, just as described.

The att model is identical to the sim free model from Apple (A1634), so I can take advantage of band 30

It took less than an half hour for att to unlock it

>warranty clock doesn't start until activation
>extra year of warranty by using my visa signature cc

one>genius>king, youre going to wipe everything anyway so dont worry.

teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/7110-rom-cyanogenmod-11-sch-r760/

Try this, looks like i mistook the s3 us cellular with the s2 us cellular, i hope you know how to install cwm/twrp and flash custom roms user, sorry for the late response but im playing cs 1.6 with some ruskies and spics.

teamuscellular.com/Forum/forum/272-galaxy-s-ii-romskernelsmods/

And look what i found here, more unnoficial roms, recoveries and root methods for your specific device.

it looks pretty neat, i might call it the best phone of the year

the only things keeping me from pulling the trigger were the huge pricetag, the somewhat unwieldy phablet size and the fact that LG refuses to make phones that don't bootloop. Plus there was shattergate but i think that's been fixed

but it's got FM radio, an IR blaster, a microSD card slot and a removable battery with extremely competitive specs; it's only competition is probably Samsung because of their AMOLED displays if that's your style. HTC

tl;dr: do it my nigga

You did fine, then.

I think carrier unlocked phones are icky, though.

Would anyone here recommend the HTC 10? I've got a Note 4 at the moment but looking to get a new phone, I'm considering the HTC 10 but not sure if it would offer a massive upgrade over my Note 4.

Its the best phone of 2016 by far but id wait just a little more to see if they leak the HTC11 and it comes with the latest snapdragon and 6 GB of ram

Any way to back up my shit beforehand?

All that neat shit they manage to cram in a beautifully designed phone and all for nothing as it will inevitably bootloop in 3 months or so, LG does make nice phones, absolutely, but until they unfuck their shit in all their post G3 devices i wouldnt buy anything from them, the bootloop is not a meme.

>carrier unlocked phone
>icky

Why?

I got mine today

It's pretty nice, it's main advantage over competitors is the sound quality, but it doesn't come with headphones so there's that to consider as well

unibody aluminum construction feels nice and will suffice until my case arrives. the camera is totally average, decent SoT, charges ridiculously fast, fast and responsive fingerprint scanner

don't pay full price for it, though. There was a sale a few days ago on the HTC site where it was 200 dollarydoos off, see if that's still a thing

physical branding + bloatware mostly

I agree, but iPhones don't have carrier branding or bloatware.

My other phone is an HTC M8 att variant that I bought for $270 two years ago. I unlocked the bootloader and converted it to GPE as soon as I took it out of the box. I can't stand the at&t logo in the back, but functionally, it was now the exact same device as the GPE that was still going for $650+

>bloatware.
ios is bloatware

You forgot one.

>iOS
>bloatware

Not really, it's pretty lightweight overall.

Speaking of iPhones, I can see that maybe I should finally jump ship. I'm so fucking worried that my free iPhone 6 will get the touch disease. And the 6s as well as the 7 all have issues too.

Not to mention, even if I stay with the same iPhone and don't suffer from the iOS slowdown meme, I'm being left out of certain features just because I didn't buy the newest iPhone which is kinda the same as not having any updates.

So now, I'm kinda feeling that really no matter what smartphone I get, it's really is all the same shit gimmicks and other bullshit.

I really hate smartphones now, maybe if Apple doesn't get their shit together I'll just get a Moto G4 or maybe a G5 by then and say fuck it.

Thoughts on Galaxy A5 for basic users in need of camera, music and chat/social apps.
Is it garbage?

yes

care to explain?

If I wanted one of them fancy Snapdragon 821 along with a big screen, what would my best option be?

no

Nigga how many fucking times will you ask this question, no, the A5 is shit, get the P9 Lite if you want all that.

Wut. Do you think only 2-3 people visit this thread?

Before you absolutely no one had asked anything about the A5, it has to be one person

Search the thread, only I mentioned it. I wasn't in previous threads. Whatever. Why am I even arguing this?
Anyway, checking out P9 Lite. Not bad.

Literally the second post , hopefully now you stop trying to justify buying a shitty phone.

a cell phone

hi /spg/. Redpill me on your top 5 smartphones with the best DACs.

An SD card? Are you new to all this or what user? Save all your pictures and contacts to it, turn on play store sync and it will redownload all your apps on your fresh install of CM once you log in your account, again sorry for the late response

Really makes you think.

HTC 10
HTC 10 Lifestyle
HTC Desire 650
HTC One M9
HTC One M8

All good phones

>implying LG

kek

Whatchu thinking about boo

so what network do all the Xiaomi phones get used on? looks pretty shitty for t-mobile which I've had for years now

AT&T?

Hi, just got ZTE Zmax Pro

I wanna get good at android so tell me what i should do

Also does anyone know any good manga readers?

Ok /spg/, make it or break it: Should I buy mi 5s or not?

Inferior to the zuk z2 pro in every single way.

Are you even trying?

red pill me on the htc 10, htc shill

Which 2016 phone has the biggest bezels?

Want to buy a new phone for my gf before I dump her.

Hey /spg/ here's a mini review of the Axon 7 for you after two weeks

Pros
>Screen is top tier, perfectly vivid, high res, no complaints
>front speakers are also great, best I've seen on any smartphone
>similarly the second akg DAC is great if you've got good headphones, noticeable increase in quality over the base Qualcomm DAC, it chews through battery though
>phone is super fast, flies through everything I've tried to do, noticeably better than my 6p
>Connectivity is great, works fine on T-Mobile and AT&T, full bars and all
>sd slot+64gb internal is good
>phone has a relatively small form factor for including a 5.5in screen, capacitive buttons, and speakers
>USB c is good and it does get 3.0 speeds
>camera app is quite good, has lots of options, full manual mode, slow mo, h.265 support, etc
>battery life is really good, 6-7 hours of screen on time over a whole day
>charges quick
>2 year warranty is neat
>was quite cheap, I got it for $350 with crappy DJ tier headphones that i sold for $50 making it a nice $300 (main reason i got it over OP3T at $430)

Meh points
>the ROM is relatively stock with about 50/50 good and bad features. Things like double tap to wake and improved screenshot functionality are cool but Dolby Atmos and MiVoice are trash
>camera is alright. Pics are solid, and video is good, about as nice as a flagship from 2 years ago but not as good as the best phones out
>build is awesome, no flaws and super comfortable but also really smooth and slippery, case seems necessary

Cons
>DPI is fuckhuge by default, like 650+ or something. Obviously you can just lower it which i did but that'll make some UI elements notably in stock apps look a bit jank
>Unpopular. There's only like 2 Roms so if you must have dev support then look elsewhere.
>nav buttons don't light up
>notification led is only RG

Overall very happy with my purchase, would recommend.

>Inferior to the zuk z2 pro in every single way.
Except price

As for performance, Xiaomi MI5S is estimated to use Samsung 14nm architecture, Mali T-860 GPU, it has 63K points in Antutu score. It will adopt 5.2 inch 1080P screen, 424PPI, coming with RAM 3GB ROM 32GB, RAM 4GB ROM 64GB internal storage two versions, the dual camera has 16MP back and 8MP front one to add beautification. It supports PDAF, dual SIM card, dual standby, netcom, 4G LTE network, it is built in 3,000mAh battery, running MIUI 8 OS based on Android 6.0 OS, Xiaomi MI5C as the upgraded version of Xiaomi MI4C, whether in design or performance, Xiaomi has highly improved, especially the appearance is much better than Xiaomi MI4C.

How much do you guys think? I hope about $150 or less.

if all of that is true then why do sony and htc and samsung and such phones cost four times that with the same specs

Good point.

Buy the honor 8 instead.

Sweating over battery life now is autistic. With usb c battery life is not an issue and not worth carrying around a mongo-looking oukitel for.

I like the aesthetics of the k6000 pro though. But only the black one. The frame around the screen in the gold and white ones looks disgusting.

> An SD card?
Shit, it probably doesn't support exFAT. The only microSD cards I have are a 128 GB that I'm currently using on my other phone and a 2 GB one that's already full.

Is there any way for me to back this shit up on my computer?

> Are you new to all this or what user?
Yes. I am like newborn babby. I cannot into root.

The CPU is disgusting. Even 2 year old phones that has 6752 are better.

I'd also like to keep Google out after my install, too.

If I use those root solutions, will it mess up my data?

I can do without the app data, but I don't want my pictures and shit getting fucked.

In house Pine Cone CPU cuts the price in half.

then plug it into a computer and copy it over you fucking retard

Not him but it sounds pretty good desu senpai
it's a great phone but still expensive despite being 8 months old

Also my fat palms hit the capacative buttons too often

Download Fdroid -> Tachiyomi

Just use the 2 GB one then? Back up that thing on your computer temporarily, copy over everything you had on the S2, repeat until you got everything safe in your computer, make space for the rom, gapps and recovery, flash then transfer everything you originally had on the SD again, seriously dude you cannot be this fucking dumb

No of course not, rooting only enables some things, it doesnt delete anything

You said you want google stuff out of your CM right? Then only flash the rom and dont bother with the gapps, replace the store with f-droid

What's wrong with the mtk6753?

It's low end, but it's still powerful enough for most people.

What, you think I didn't try that shit, faggot?

It won't fucking mount.

> Just use the 2 GB one then? Back up that thing on your computer temporarily, copy over everything you had on the S2, repeat until you got everything safe in your computer, make space for the rom, gapps and recovery, flash then transfer everything you originally had on the SD again, seriously dude you cannot be this fucking dumb
For that to work, I'd need a fucking microSD to SD card or USB adapter. I don't have either of those.

> No of course not, rooting only enables some things, it doesnt delete anything
Oh, okay.

> You said you want google stuff out of your CM right? Then only flash the rom and dont bother with the gapps, replace the store with f-droid
Alright. They're separate things, right?

Yeah either Tachiyomi or Manga Rock, the other two on f-droid are still in beta and the play store ones are buggy as all fuck, literally cannot handle big images, my only complaint about Tachiyomi is that i cannot save my bookmarked manga somewhere on the SD, i have to turn on bluetooth/use a cable and transfer some file to the computer, like why the fuck would you even set it up like this? At that point id rather type out all the manga titles on notepad and save them somewhere, way faster than looking for the usb cable and hooking the phone.