Is 5.1 and 7.1 a meme or are they worth it? I got a 2.1 system as a gift a few years ago and am considering upgrading

Is 5.1 and 7.1 a meme or are they worth it? I got a 2.1 system as a gift a few years ago and am considering upgrading.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There's no need unless you need to setup a "theatric" system.

Taking up too much room. Get good Headphones instead.

They're worth it but you need a proper room layout or they'll sound like ass.

It's indeed a meme, unless you're planning on watching 360° media

I can't live without a 5.1 system. Movies and sport events are better.

Go for the 5.1, 7.1 is useless.

>t. headphone weebs music fan or vintage 2.0 system who never try a surround system who talk with their ass

Anything more than 2.1 is retarded for music unless you're listening to DVD-A or SACD, which *may* use a 5.1 mix of the album. The only example I can think of is Dark Side of the Moon, which sounds fantastic in 5.1, but if you were listening to the regular mix and your headphones have good soundstage, it shouldn't make much difference.

It's not about music but movies...

>but movies
>my sides when he watches shitty bluray rips and pretends that they have directional audio

DUDE DID YOU HEAR THAT BIRD BEHIND YOU I COULDVE SWORN IT WAS REAL LMAO
Fucking worthless gimmick

Why is 7.1 useless? Is the sound difference not that big or is there limited support for it?

this, a million times.

It's also only the shitty movies like transformers/ninja turtles/whatever the fuck michael bay tricks people into buying whatever the fuck that use this shitty gimmick

In theory 2 speakers should do, because us human have only two ears.
However - and this is why binaural recordings tend to not work 100% - one found out that a lot depends on the listeners individual ear channels etc.

So the next best thing is 4 speakers. Problem is that almost nobody has the perfect room for the perfect placement. So using more speakers to compensate, like 5 - 9 is legit.

That only leaves subs. Which might be legit, depending on the levels you prefer to feel the lowe frequencies.
Protip: Use two subwoofers instead of one.

/thread

Literally what? I have +200 MKV movie/series and they are all mixed in 5.1...

Do you ever try a 5.1 system? Do you?

Because 7.1 movies are rare af and upmix 5.1 to 7.1 with Dolby Pro Logic x isn't that good

>Problem is that almost nobody has the perfect room for the perfect placemen

Receivers have a mic for fix the issue

You have never heard 7.1 then. 7.1 is a huge step up. Hell even Atmos can add tons to a theater setup if used correctly.

That can't fix it completely.

Another problem is having multiple listeners.

But I have a 7.1 receiver and desu 5.1 is better because the audio channels are really discrete and not ''matrixed''

Do you watch a lot of movies? How are you watching them? Netflixs is 5.1 so if that's all you consume it's not worth it. Blurays and games are 7.1

I run a 7.1 setup with 2 subs. I watch a ton of blurays and play games so most of my content is 7.1 and I love it. Just watched Days of Thunder on bluray the mix on it is amazing.

5.1 is entirely worth it, 7.1 is a meme. Don't cheap out on the center channel, it's one of the most important as that's where the dialog is coming from. I went from not being able distinguish anything, and watching everything with subtitles to being able to hear everything, even with explosions and everything going on.

What?

It's not a real 7.1 sound...

as you increase the number of sound sources, the distortion factor becomes more a problem

a really good 2.1 system is usually better for high fidelity, and less expensive, than a 5.1, etc

but if you don't care that much about the higher end of sound quality, 5.1 is good for immersion in movies or gaymes

7.1 is just overkill unless ur living room is huge

don't be an ass

there are ppl where who have excellent speakers and high end receivers that switch from 2.1 to 5.1 to 6.1 to 7.1

Are you saying 7.1 sound mixes don't exist?

>It's also only the shitty movies like transformers/ninja turtles/whatever

Thanks for confirm my point, you don't have a receiver. Almost everything, even on TV are mixed on 5.1 channels nowadays...

Only on Blurays

>the distortion factor becomes more a problem

You are making things up

Ok, and your point is?

Get a 5.1, 7.1 is a meme

>the distortion factor becomes more a problem

Gaming, movies, tv show, MKVs, tv box, netflix use 5.1.

7.1 is overkill.

5.1 is definetely worth the investment. My parents put it in when i was growing up, such a difference. I now have it in my house as well. 7.1 on the other hand, only works well if you have a really wide room that can accomdate the positioning properly but many of us do not.

I've had a Pioneer VSX-D1011 and a 5 speaker setup since forever. I honestly wouldn't even consider going back to 2 speakers in my living-room. It would probably be acceptable in a small bedroom where 5 speakers are unpractical.

Music sounds great on 5 speakers but the main difference comes when you watch movies and tv-shows.

Make sure you use a motherboard with a SPDIF toslink or use HDMI if you have a modern GPU and buy a modern receiver. Don't bother doing a surround setup with a bunch of RCA cables.

Most rips have the original DTS sound, some older ones have AC3.

7.1 isn't useless, it's just not worth bothering because everything is 5.1. To me it's also a matter of making that fit in the room. Having a speaker in each corner and one in the middle of one wall is simpler than having 3 speakers in the middle of a wall. I have a window where 1 would be and a big cabinet with doors on it where the other would be.

Just about every movie that comes out has amazing 7.1 mixes anymore. Just watched Edge of Tomorrow and it was amazing.

Another great 7.1 use is gayming. Playing Forza I can hear when another car coming up to draft me, I can tell the moment the car snaps over to try and pass me. Its great

>JBL consumer tier
ok door-slammer

>yamaha consumer tier
why even bother

no, not making things up

if the system is not well powered, and if the speakers are sorta garbage, a 5.1 system is at least twice as much garbage output directed in 6 different directions as a 2.1 system

So the consensus is:
If you're a patrician who watches quality films and TV shows, 2.1 is the best.
If you're a pleb who watches baysplosion flix and MUH GAYMEN, go with 5/7.1.

Movies are all mixed in 7.1, just because you source your movies from shitty streaming services doesn't 7.1 is not amazing.

Same for gaming. Besides 2D indie stuff every other game is 7.1 on both PC and PS4. Dishonored 2 for example has a great 7 channel use

>Another problem is having multiple listeners.
;_;

I'm a poor fag and I need 5.1. Also pioneer has problem with the HDMI.

So your saying if you gave garbage speakers your surround sound setup will sound like garbage? Really insightful stuff your posting

Ok Mr Film student. Can only jerk off to Citizen Kane so many times before you wanna watch something else

I will never pay for a blueray tho

Well, at least that won't be a problem.

listen, people on here barely have the money and space to scrape together a mid-tier 2.0 passive speaker system

if this population starts going for 5.1, if its for gaymes and movies, who cares, but if its for music, a low end 5.1 usually sounds like crap compared to a compatibly priced mid tier 2.0

Not worth it. Had 5.1, never used it. Don't waste your money. Get decent 2.1 speakers. Just my advice

>if the system is not well powered, and if the speakers are sorta garbage, a 5.1 system is at least twice as much garbage output directed in 6 different directions as a 2.1 system

Le audiophile elitism: the post

This
>muh more speakers is better meme

5.1 itself is a meme.
You only have 2 eardrums and your two eardrums can only vibrate at a certain frequency and at a certain amplitude.

Therefore, two drivers is enough to simulate any kind of sound your eardrums are capable of hearing.

user, i went to Goodwill yesterday and "payed" $8 for a "vintage" blu ray player with a Burr Brown DAC chip -- the shit dumb audiophiles pay $500 for in a dedicated DAC unit

hooked it up to my system -- sounds like wet vagina feels

oh, and $2.40 cables, too

we're not talking about music here
it's obvious that a surround system is completely useless for that

5/10 not too bad

How will you hear the rear action?

There's another eardrum inside your anus. If you don't believe me light a firecracker inside it with your ears closed and see if you can hear the bang.

Oh, thanks user, btw I'm a grill :^)

You're a grill? How many BTUs do you has?

The same way you can hear your own farts.

Vibrations coming from the rear get absorbed and reflected around the environment, and part of the frequency range makes its way to your eardrums.

For example, in a room, a sound coming from the rear might subjectively be perceived as a quieter sound with some of the frequencies muffled, heard with a delay. The sound will come from the rear, reflect off the wall in front of you, and come back to your eardrums, losing some of its energy.

Muted parts of the frequency spectrum.
However, since too much depends on the listeners ears (you need custom headphones), placement of speakers and listener and how many listeners you want to have, a good 2.0 solution is expensive as fuck.

well, there is music recorded for 5.1 and with high bit rate and on blu ray

but yeah, most recorded music doesn't really benefit from 5.1 if the 2.1 set up is solid

Adorable
Here, educate yourself. This is a good start:
www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm

>Implying any of you have friends

multichannel music is

there's probably more mono music on the market than 5/7 channel music

This. I've heard of it's existence but have seen zero examples of it.
I'm aware that I can probably search and find it, but in passing, It's not something you can even find at the store.
It's also shit that nobody wants to listen to anyway.

have you ever compared the sound output difference between a "regular" walmart/bestbuy amp and a really good amp?

it has nothing to do with cost these days either

Wait, how the fuck would there be 5.1 music when live music is typically listened to facing the musicians, who are on the stage in front?

Like, are there concerts where there's two drummers sitting behind the audience?
How the fuck does that work?

there are lots of things in this world made by meme autists.

It's mostly a meme. The instruments just play stronger from one speaker or another. You know how older music from the 70s and 80s overdid the whole stereo thing in their songs? Where you would only hear the singer or the guitar out of one speaker? Imagine that with 5 speakers. That's literally what it is.
Some electronic store near me had a demo of it and it sounded weird as shit.

MOVIE, Sup ForumsIDIA, TV:
5.1/7.1

MUSIC:
2.0/2.1/2.2

I've considered 5.1 but I don't think it's worth it for me considering I sit near the wall in the room. It seems like you need to be sitting in the middle to get the most use out of it.

Most of the library is old music with instruments that were recorded on separate channels. If you try to find multichannel disks, it's all classic rock conversions.

I actually have a couple of classical SACDs and 'pure audio' blurays and the steven wilson stuff also came in a bluray bundle with his surround mixes on there, but I got most of these as collectors items or in case of some of the SACDs they're a hybrid with a conventional PCM CD layer so that's the only medium for release
yet I don't even have my rear speakers set up since I moved a year ago, because it's not really worth it

youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

put your headphones on.

some people (me) get a system just to play 2 or 3 really good recordings

there is a lot of 5.1 concert and classical music on blu ray

5.1 is important for symphony music since 2.0 doesn't get the size of the stage

its pretty good if your system matches the recording quality

you just set up additional microphones

sound bounces from the back, etc

>www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm
Not even pre-poster, but
>the 1000 greatest films
>according to some asswipes

>impressive works
>can't even have a clear front layer

put your earh on

you get your roommate or gf to turn the speakers certain directions while you sit where ever you sit

there is a weird effect when you sit close to a wall that makes the music sound like its right in your face

Besides movies it's great for games, specially horror games

yeah i wish

What is that little thing?

>or gf
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OCT sounds like ass, though

Is this a studio where a movie audio track is mixed?

that's a middle size dubbing stage, yes

Nah, the real patrician setup would be 3.1, with a couple of quality bookshelf speakers and a strong center channel (which will get a lot of mileage from the use cases described). The receiver can downmix any surround channels and it will still sound good.

>Watching TV with headphones

I use headphones and a tiny portal speakers.
Shitty appartements, man.

>portal
port.a.ble

huh. I was wondering what my mic was for. I thought it was a conference mic but it has a silly long cable

The only thing I would use 7.1 for is if I were playing team oriented FPS, where positional audio can give you just that much a leg up on opposition. That's me personally, and what I do. The extra rear speakers make a huge difference dont listen to the poorfags and autists.

Now for media consumption, its still rather rare that the source is fully 7.1 (and a high enough quality to matter). What I would do is have a solid 7.1 capable reciever yet keep it hooked up as a 5.1 until the general media is at that level more often than not.

If you like movies a good 5/7.1 system is killer to have

Any 2.1 is a compromise for movies

You've got two ears. Not five. Not seven. Think about it.

>implying I'm not gay

Vaginas are gross, user.

>Not going 11.1

What are you, poor? Did you not vote to maga?

Who gives a fuck if it's worth it. 11.1 means you're about ten more speakers up than the plebs.

But srs, at least 5.0 if you're not totally retarded.

Gas yourself, queer.

7.1 isn't really better than 5.1 as a lot of content is only 5.1 at best. Both are way better than 2.1 for games and movies though