Came out in 2001

>came out in 2001
>still has an active development scene

How did the original xbox end up becoming the best media station thing that is still uncontested?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_alternate_display_modes
youtube.com/watch?v=q0CcKBoK9qY
ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Xbox-Original-System-CONSOLE-ONLY-100-Restored-1-6-Samsung-8GB-/401198438684?hash=item5d694a591c:g:m8oAAOSwTA9X7xk3
ngemu.com/threads/why-is-xbox-emulation-premature.132032/
youtube.com/watch?v=ha8S4VhWZNU
aliexpress.com/item/Original-HD-TV-Component-Composite-Audio-Video-AV-Cable-Cord-for-Microsoft-For-First-Generation-XBOX/32735319934.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was a perfect and inexpensive machine (~$50) for 720p and below, and it still is if those are the resolutions you're working with. Unfortunately it can't push 1080p, so I had to finally break down and replace mine with a HTPC.

It can't play 1080p video.

A Chromecast costs less, does a better job, and works out of the box

Still has development?

I just use mine to play video games.

It uses a modified Windows kernel. That's the reason the Dreamcast had a lot of homebrew too (Dreamcast used Windows CE).
The original name of the console was DirectX Box (shortened to Xbox). IIRC, it uses DirectX 8.1.

It was my LAMP server for a while.

720p is fine

I checked and it seems to perform worse also the cheapest one is $35 and I bought my xbox(with two controllers and some games) for $20. Also it can run gentoo.

Not from microsoft but it has a semi-active modding scene.

Interesting.

>Runs worse

The new Chromecast can play 4k video. The old one could always play 1080p. 720p is not fine.

And I should clarify it can go up to 1080i

Dreamcast didn't use CE as its native OS.

What made the Dreamcast different from other consoles is that it used DirectX as its primary API. The Dreamcast was the only non-MS product to ever utilize DX, which made it one of the most unique consoles of its tome.

How? I thought 720p was the maximum, at least for games.

Some games went up to 1080i
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_alternate_display_modes

I got one and its pretty loud.
>the loud noise when you open it is there to cover the noise from the fans, the dvd drive and the hard drive

>Some games went up to 1080i

1080i is worse than 720p in terms of lines drawn per frame.

>no emulators

It can emulate every system quite well until the n64
youtube.com/watch?v=q0CcKBoK9qY

Chromecast uses way less power. So it's cheaper overtime

that's wrong, though

the wii is far better.
>can only output at 480p max
but it still plays 720p media... kek

but does it run netflix?

ubiquitous + cheap + hackable = success!

Leave my thread and take your drm/jew trash with you.

It's very easy to hack.
It has a ethernet port built in.
It's decently powerful so it can support full-speed emulation in most systems.
It's cheap.

It can play 1080i.

Literally a PC

Are you retarded?
Either way, 1080i looks much better than 720p

aren't OG xboxes failing en mass due to shitty/cheap capacitors and similar memes?

the bigger problem is that there's no functional emulator for it.

They're cheap as fuck and easy to refurbish.

ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Xbox-Original-System-CONSOLE-ONLY-100-Restored-1-6-Samsung-8GB-/401198438684?hash=item5d694a591c:g:m8oAAOSwTA9X7xk3

I have an original release Xbox right here that I used regularly up until 2007 and the only problem with it is the damn DVD drive.

There's one capacitor on the board that maintains the system clock (no idea why they didn't use a battery like everyone else). That particular capacitor is shitty and will leak corrosive electrolyte all over the board eventually, but you can remove it without breaking anything except the console's ability to retain the time for a couple hours of power outage.

Are unofficial multiplayer servers for xbox possible like how Dreamcast still has quake 3 and pso servers running?

Isn't the nvidia card in this console guarded by an elite special forces team of lawyers? there's still no xbox emulators for this reason, right?

Because the xbox is hueg

I thought the main reason was that no one really cared. There aren't enough exclusives to motivate people to make an emulator.

>Isn't the nvidia card in this console guarded by an elite special forces team of lawyers

I'd like to hear more information about this

Their is Xlink kai.

Being cheap and easy to mod is probably a big factor too.

Just removed the time capacitor, thanks famalam.

The Soundstorm DSP and GPU have no public design docs anywhere, so trying to intercept API calls is a pain in the ass

could have sworn ive seen emulators out there. i guess i must be smoking my own dope.

I think he means that there's no good Original Xbox emulator.

ngemu.com/threads/why-is-xbox-emulation-premature.132032/

There's been a bunch worked on over the years but none of them 'worked'
youtube.com/watch?v=ha8S4VhWZNU

It's slightly better with XQEMU and CXBX-Reloaded ut you're never going to play Metal Wolf Chaos or Ninja Gaiden Black on PC anytime soon.

Xeon only runs one game(which already has a pc port) and is dead as far as I know. I thought xqemu was still being worked on.

I meant that Xbox emulation has gotten farther with XQEMU and CXBX-Reloaded, just we're still far from anything being playable since they run games with no graphical errors but have abysmal framerate.

No, the main reason is there is no documentation about the GPU. Only Nvidia knows.

Where is this active development scene? Where?

shut up

>still uncontested

It's literally a Pentium III Coppermine and some Nvidia and a Windows kernel

No documentation, so never ever.

The clock capacitor, just remove it and you are done.

cant play h264 or newer though... I replaced mine with a patriot box back in like 2010... Then replaced that for a android box about 18 months ago(S805 one... so its due for replacement now)

Kinda funny, the Xbox lasts me ~9 years. The patriot box lasts me around 5 years. The android box prob. wont make it to 2 years... This keeps going, and by 2017 i'll be replacing these things every month....

I still wish i had kept mine, for the Xbox games(I softmodded it with a 320gb HDD.... 100 games stored on the disk. I miss Kotor and Morrowind... Never even started 80% of the games on it. Ended up selling it on craigslist for $150)

>there's still no xbox emulators for this reason, right?

Xbox emulators have existed for over 13 years, retard.

post a link to a stable one, faggit.

Oh thats right, there isnt.... and you're an obnoxious faggit.

I know, right. These that runs 2 games at 12fps on the latest i7 with massive glitches.

Seriously, the only real problem is the controller wire coming out of the bottom. It's so easy to pirate for too

Why is the disc upside down?

It's a fucking PC

What makes other systems not a fucking pc?

Look at this retard

XBONE and PS4 are the first consoles to use x86 processors since the original XBOX which was a Pentium 3 and NVidia 5xxx or 6xxx GPU.

xbox ran a modified version of the Windows kernel.

I wanna fuck that belly button

Oh good lord. It was a GeForce 3 based GPU instead.

Why are you so underaged?

why are you so retarded?

Besides the GPU being a few generations older than I thought, where was I wrong?

Don't bother, he is too intelligent and mature to understand you

kotor and morrowind are on the pc, kotor 2 is better on pc due to the mods that add in content that was cut for time.

You thinking processor architecture determines whether or not something is a PC and also being so young you think the Nvidia 5000 or 6000 GPUs were around when the Xbox came out.

>You thinking processor architecture determines whether or not something is a PC
It largely does. There is very little difference between an XBOX, XBONE, PS4 and a Wintel machine.
>also being so young you think the Nvidia 5000 or 6000 GPUs were around when the Xbox came out.
Geforce 5XXX series came out a year or two later. Are you really that much of a sperglord that I triggered you so?

that's one factor

that and just about all xbox games are also available on the ps2/pc

>It largely does.
Not at all and you must be a kid if you think 2003-2004 is the same as 2001.

prime autism

>uncontested
Are you retarded?

Not an argument.

I miss my old Xbox. Had an Xecutor 3, the crystal case, a few thousand posts on Xbox-Scene, and stay up all night playing hex-edited levels of Halo with my friends while drinking a case of Bawls. Those were the days.

how? there are no component cables for it

$3 with free shipping friendo.
aliexpress.com/item/Original-HD-TV-Component-Composite-Audio-Video-AV-Cable-Cord-for-Microsoft-For-First-Generation-XBOX/32735319934.html

welp

Confirmed for retarded.

ight kid

Confirmed for cia nigger who wants me to waste money on a inferior and intrusive media center when my 13 year old xbox is just fine.

What's it like owning a xbox older than you?

A Chromecast does fuck all on its own you stupid fuck.

#REKT

I'm at the point where shitposting about how great the original xbox is on a technology board on a Taiwanese fish swapping forum is the highlight of my day, I wish I was 13 again. Send me back family.

>late 90s baby saying he's old
Holy shit...

Love(d) it. I got about 10 of them hiding in my apartment.

dvd drives were trash but the modding scene is on point

Posting from my $20 Steam Link connected to my dual boot Windows 10 and MacOS Sierra which perfectly streams video and audio and relays any keyboard, usb peripheral or controller (including proprietary P$4).

What was that about the perfect media machine?

Having a localized independent computer for your TV is so 2014

>Hey look at all this shit I had to buy/add just to get the same thing

I think you've missed the point.

It was the last good console that you could mod without buying anything.

What did I buy? I would have bought a gaming computer with or without a television media set up.

$20 IS NOTHING

>No documentation, so never ever.

Why is there no documentation?

Steam Link is a flop, the latency is a joke if you can't get it down below like 15-20ms.

That's the Wii

>waggle shit
>trash games
>good console
How to spot a someone born in the 2000s the post.

Wii you had to jump through hoops to pirate shit.

Xbox could read burned disks and rip games directly to the HDD and patch them with XBMC.

Perfect box for old CRT TV's, good luck finding a working GPU with composite output that has some support in a modern OS, this thing is literally irreplaceable nowadays
There's like 800 games in total for the Xbox, and much fewer exclusives, and most of them weren't work jack shit
The original nogaems system
>cant play h264
It can, it's able to do 480p h264
>It largely does. There is very little difference between an XBOX, XBONE, PS4 and a Wintel machine.
You know the original PS2 ran Yellow Dog Linux, had a keyboard and mice addon, right?
The PS1, iirc specifically the Net Yarooze, had Lightworks ported to it, basically making it a low end workstation/PC
Even the Famicom could run some weird accounting software, and the NES was originally marketed as a PC
Fucking newfags
>Geforce 5XXX series came out a year or two later
heh

It's x86 based using DirectX
I'd imagine that if someone knowledgeable in emulation software development looked hard enough into it, it very well might be simple as fuck.
Theoretically, it could be all be a matter of emulating the actual Operating environment that the games run within. There's already a compatible set of desktop APIs that can cross communicate with Xbox games, and The processor IIRC was just an Intel Pentium iii....

The multiplat games on the Xbox were nearly always miles superior to the versions on competing hardware, though.

>It's x86 based using DirectX
Yeah, but then you run into them using assembly for the DSP/GPU to squeeze the most out of the machine, in which case the API doesn't matter and worst of it a lot of instructions weren't used by Nvidia in previous and later products
If it was so simple it would had already been done, not long after 2001