What Rx 480 8gb should I get?

What Rx 480 8gb should I get?

Other urls found in this thread:

u.nya.is/zxwcra.mp4
youtube.com/watch?v=zWASNajSdpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The one that's a GTX 1060 6GB.

Reference so you have a cooler that's supposed to be on an expansion card.

The XFX GTR edition, trust me.

Sapphire if you got the extra money to throw at it

if you like the stock cooler, whatevers cheapest

MSi/Asus

This is the best 480 for sale right now. Some of the highest clocks with lowest power draw.

I got a nitro

Asus Strix or MSI Gaming X if you want the best version. If you just want something that is good but not too expensive then get any two-fan variant from a decent brand.

Yup, XFX rx cards are real nice. I like the Hard Swap fans and backplate.

The Asus has the absolute best pcb, but not sure how well the cooler actually works. MSI is known for having overall the lowest temps. The XFX GTR PCB is just about as good as the asus, and the cooling is comparable to the MSI with enough airflow. It also has the most consistent overclocking I`ve seen myself. They are actually binned chips, which is why they have the highest stock clock on the market. XFX also has a phenomenal warranty allowing you to modify the card so long as all components are intact and undamaged by your modification.

My only gripe about the gtr is that the chip is only half powered by the 8 pin PCIE plug, with the other half by the PCIE slot. So if you were to actually break 150w gpu only power draw, you would be out of spec. But I highly doubt anyone other than LN2 overclockers would ever be able to push the card that far.

u.nya.is/zxwcra.mp4

But user, everyone knows the 1060 has can do 2 less trillions of floating point operations per second. It is absolutely useless for that matter.
Besides that it has also a lot slower memory bandwidth and a narrower memory bus.
It also lacks a hardware scheduler. Why on Earth would you buy it instead of the RX 480?

>Asus Strix

Forgot to add, of all the options. Do not buy the gigabyte or power color cards. They`re actually built below reference specifications.

xfx is the coolest (it holds below 60c)
sapphire is the best overall
for oc i would suggest asus (yes they managed to built a nice amd card for a change)

Power color red devil because satan fuckin rules

msi and xfx are the best imo

Is there any point in getting the 8gb instead of 4gb if I don't plan on upgrading from 1080p any time soon?

i dont know do 4gb more for future proof does have a point?
fucking obviously

Sapphire for AMD.

Gigabyte have been volt locking AMD cards for a while which makes them unviable for me.

There is no practical downside to having less vram but equally there are only a few times when more is useful and often those situations for a gaming gpu are tied to settings that will choke all but the most powerful cards.

If you are rendering video or something on your gpu than yes, you want as much vram as you can get.

does you mean what 8gb for upgrade of future to graphics to none? of course fuck mother

This tbqh

I have one and love it.
>8GB VRAM (I have used more than 4 in games before, so definitely get the 8GB model)
>Great cooler that can shut off completely at idle
>RGB LEDs if you are into that kind of thing
>8 pin power delivery, this should put to bed any qualms you may be concerned with for power delivery reported issues on reference cards.
>Freesync in general
>dual BIOS to switch between reference specs and Sapphire overclocking.
and quite possibly the biggest reason why I bought it over a reference:
>Factory overclock that is as high as most people were able to push reference cards, already put in from engineers that know how to do it right.

It's a good card. I play almost everything maxed in 1440p no problem. Except GTA V which I need to dial back one or two things a notch and then it's fine.

Sapphire nitro

XFX GTR can overclock to 1475 at 60c on air and uses similar power to a GTX 1060. I have an MSI Gaming X but I would go for the XFX now if I had not got the MSI already.

Sapphire rx 480 for pretty looks and luxury feel

MSI gaming X for the best overclocking, silence, and temps.

XFX for some middle ground for performance and looking good.

AVOID: Gigabyte gaming G1 because the temps are ass, like 80+ stock

Hey idiots in this thread
Can we stop repeating nonsense like "dis card runs at 60* which is cooler than Y card"

NONE OF THE FUCKING CARDS RUN AT FULL FAN SPEED
Literally all you have to do is set the target temp to whatever you want.
Which is quite easy to do now in the new drivers.

Yeah well I don't need wattman or delta fans to keep my 290x cool on air.

>290x under full load

At least you don't need a heater for the winter.

Because they literally did what I did in wattman via bios because the 290x chips thermal limit is 20* less than the 480

Your comparing apples to oranges
>delta fans

Hawaii doesn't throttle until 95c.

To be fair I am sort of cheating as I have a monstrous raijintek morpheus bolted to my 290x. Given I boinc basically whenever i'm not gaming slicing off 20c compared to AIB coolers goes a long way for longevity (as my comp will be boincing for best part of 18 hours a day).

how many zipties did you have to use to keep it from pulling out of the pcie slot

None. Though i did decided a wooden kebab skewer would work nicely and once cut to length it provides ample support. For laughs once I really did strap a 200cfm delta fan to said 290x (over the vrms because vrm1 gets HOT with the voltage my card needs to hit 1200mhz core) and while it was hilarious to see pascal beating temps (i.e cooler) the noise sounded like an airport.

I'm on an AMD build and I got a good deal on the ASUS RX480-8G. It does really well for the price range.

ASUS Strix for great PCB and great cooling - means great OC potential
MSI Gaming X for a cool and quiet card
XFX GTR for the performance
Sapphire if wanna throw (extra) money at something that' s just decent at everything

or just be smarter and buy the R9 Fury Nitro currently selling at 320 $ .

I got Sapphire Nitro+ OC, 8gb version, like two months ago and it behave just fine.

People were reporting it being loud, but for me, it was not really THAT loud, yet noticable once I turn speakers off. The highest fan speed I got was 70% tho, so it surely have more to show yet.

Word of warning - Sapphire and AMD claims that its working temperature is around 72-75C and its true - funny enough, launching ANY game resulted in reaching said 72-75C (if game in question was low demanding - 60C), with fan speed at 40% or something like that. When simply left idle (or browsing internet, writing something, etc), card lowers frequency to some low values and keeps temperature of around 50C (GPU-Z claims that fans reached 0% speed, but I refused to believe that).

Overall, Im happy for that card. Of course, if I had something silent, to match nose level fo my CPU cooler (NH-U12S), it would be even better, but I cant expect wonders.

if you want the best looking card, coolest and most silent card, get the asus model.
it has been like this for 5 years minimum

>asus
>AMD

Their hawaii cards are epically shit.

Please do whatever you want just don't come back in here 3 months later shitposting my beloved board with "I fell for the AMD is good meme" threads.

>Why on Earth would you buy it instead of the RX 480?
brand loyalty or you only use linux, doesn't care about open source drivers and wants performances.

I'd like to know what settings jayz was using to get that clock speed. I can't get mine stable at 1450 with +76mv and +50% power limit. And I don't believe the temp either, another reviewer found theirs ran 65c with 100% fan not overclocked. Mine in the video posted above is running 67-68c at 1400mhz with 64% fan speed. Maybe he got a golden chip. But don't say all of those cards will go that high. Mine does 1375 on stock voltages, though.

You wouldn't want to unlock the voltages on those cards, like I said. The vrm on it is worse than the reference card, and power color red devil is even worse. The red devil got an unlocked bios you can download that comes with a disclaimer saying not to use furmark or any equivalent. Because the vrm will fucking blow.

Furmark is a straight up power virus. It pushes cards so far out of spec both AMD and Nvidia actively throttle when the driver detects furmark running.

I wouldn't suggest running furmark to anyone on any card personally. It's not a realistic representation of any work load. It's just popular as it has been universally considered a worst case scenario simulator.

My issue with it is its not a worst case scenario like my cpu stress tests are, its straight up how much power can be slammed through a chip until it begs for mercy. Its not like its murdering shaders or anything.

>what is binning
>what is having a better cooler

OP get whichever 480 makes you feel great. Don't be persuaded by autists with their (((facts))).

Myths, according to Sup Forums.

Memes aside iirc the nano is the most effecient (as in, performance per watt) 28nm card ever built.

Gaming X or GTR

I've got an MSI Gaming X which is really good, I've heard the XFX ones are as well.

leave pajeet

The R9 fury.

If only it had 3 DP ports instead of 2 HDMI 2 DP.

cards have different fans and heatsinks and even different power phases faggot, they are not all the same

XFX GTR or Sapphire Nitro

Or ASUS if you're insane and want to Ln2 a 480

youtube.com/watch?v=zWASNajSdpg

8gbs is useful for workstation tasks, skyrim mods, and some games that use more than 4gbs

overall not worth the money though, especially if you're like me and plan on throwing in a cheap RX 470 at some point for crossfire, maybe when they hit $150

why would you want the asus one for ln2 specifically

If I remember right the power delivery is way overkill

Although I guess the XFX GTR is pretty easy to volt mod

If
No money: XFX
Money: Sapphire
Money + want looks: MSI

I really wished AMD never bough off ATI so I wouldn't have to read those terrible shill threads of garbage tier cards while also being able to go back to being true patrician and own an AMD cpu and Nvidia gpu. Zen can't come quick enough but I have this feeling AMD will continue to be jack of all trades, master of none because of that fucking merging.

Protip for linuxfriend: it can't handle 144fps. Lots of segfaults and crashes.
Maybe integrated linux graphics would be more stable for linux.