PSP

Thinking of getting a PSP. I want to run unoriginal games. Which version should I get? Or maybe get a Vita?
I know many of you on Sup Forums use PSPs, help a Sup Forumsent out.

Other urls found in this thread:

nicoblog.org/psp/install-pro-cfw-on-your/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you're wanting to use it for emulation, don't. It's not even competitive in that regard at this point.

Either get a smartphone (even a cheap one will do for up to PS1/N64 stuff) or look into portable emulation devices. The 3DS is also pretty decent for everything up to SNES/Genesis, but nothing further.

Vita might have decent progress on 3D emulation but I'm not entirely sure. It can't be hacked on the latest firmware anyway.

Want to use it for PSP games. Would've used PPSSPP, but it's slow on my G4 no matter the settings.

I thought there's an exploit by HENkaku for vita.

nicoblog.org/psp/install-pro-cfw-on-your/
This is what I used, I think there is a issue with psp 3000 but I don't remember.

"I want to run unoriginal games" implied emulation to me.

Avoid the PSP 1000. It's still an ok system, but it has the worst screen, shit buttons, and less memory compared to later models. The 2000 has a good balance between weight, screen quality, and speed. The 3000 is good too, but a *very* minor nuisance is you have to reinstall the hack every time the system is completely switched off (read: very rarely). It's literally a matter of pressing a button in the menu though so it's a complete non-issue. PSP GO is also acceptable if you don't mind the form factor.

this is not Sup Forums

>"I want to run unoriginal games" implied emulation to me.
Sorry, I meant running "pirated" PSP games.

So ignoring the reinstall issue, 3000 is better than 2000, right?
I want to discuss hardware, not games.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any model besides the 1000, and if you're just in it for piracy then the Go is completely fine too.

The 3000 has the best colour reproduction, but also some noticeable interlacing on moving objects, but apparently an update fixed that so idk. But overall yeah, 3000 is probably the best.

the 1000 and E1000 are different btw. The E1000 is basically a cheaper, internet-less 3000 in a cheap plastic case as opposed to the harder plastic they usually use.

3000 is probably your best bet. I use a 1000 and haven't had problems but mine is the worst visually.

theres a homebrew general on /vg/ you should head there

I'm not interested in homebrew.

wouldn't it be best to get a ps vita?

PSP is way easier to crack.

PSP1000 was the go to for me, or just buy one that is already running custom firmware off of craigslist or ebay.

Why 1000, when latter models are superior?

Fuck off. Were discussing tech here.

Go circle jerk over a watch thread or your favorite lin8x distro.

Who in their right mind would buy a device for emulation, when you have smartphones that can do that without issues. Pic related, full romsets for NES SNES SEGA GBA GB GBC, 0.139 MAME, NEOGEO, comfy games for PSP and DS + an 8bitdo ZERO gamepad.

Do you want to play a game?

PSP emulation is too slow on my phone (LG G4)

psp 1/2k have ghosting issues

>emulating on a phone.
Kys

I personally have a PSP 2000 and an E1000 (not to be confused with 2000). I'm not really sure how much ad hoc matters to you, because the E1000 doesn't support wifi. Also, it only has 1 speaker compared to the others having 2, but I personally always use headphones.

2000: Supports basically everything, and you cant go wrong. Although the screen has an issue with motion blur.

E1000: No Ad Hoc, but it has easily the best buttons ever and its ergonomic.

hardware buttons

I can imagine emulation being pretty good on a phone if you have a nice snap-on controller.

Buy a gamepad, user. Problem solved.

smartphones have the fastest mobile processors. quit being a fucking hipster and just enjoy tech.

Oh, it is. It's excellent with something that is not snap-on. Basically anything from 8bitdo. I am using a Zero, and it's perfect. Got used to it being small as fucks, and would not trade it for anything when it comes to portable emu-fix. 10 buckaroos only.

Forgot pic.

or I could buy a used psp for the price of a decent gamepad

Not for 10 bucks, you don't.

>decent snap-on controller for 10 bucks
no

If you want to go snap-on... Personally, that combo is too top heavy and not so comfortable. But, you can get a snap-on for 20 bucks.

How am I supposed to hold a controller and my phone at the same time?

Tape it to your dick, fucknuts! Do you hold a PS4 or a PC in your lap while playing with a gamepad? Guess your village elders did not invent a reasonably flat surface that can hold shit?

PSP 3000 here, running custom firmware and I mostly just use it for PS1 games and the occasional GB/Advance game

I think its great, the battery lasts for ages and I turn it off and days later when I turn it on, the game resumes

ffs man!

Maybe the reason I want a portable device is so I can use it when I don't have a reasonably flat surface in front of me, einstein

There's always a flat surface around, user. Hell, go buy an Ipega controller, then.

You find a practical flat surface on the train

Is the GBA emulation ok? I haven't tried it yet, but the SNES was pretty awful.

GBA works well - not noticed any slowdowns or glitches (though I've only really used it to play pokeman sapphire)

NES is passable, SNES emulation does suck though

buy a 1st gen around the time the silver god of war bundle was release, got one of those then sold it for a used psp-go but the go wasnt comfy at all but a really good emulation machine

Most people have smartphones from the start though. Controllers are pretty cheap.