/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
## - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
## - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

xfce-look.org/browse/ord/latest/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>haswell and broadwell cannot function properly without early microcode updates
>can't use a fully free distro

>you can't pause/resume a thread nicely and safely on linux
it's 2016 for god sake.

I like GNOME quite a bit, and I'm thinking of going with Ubuntu GNOME as my first distro, but I also want to give XFCE a chance. Problem is, it looks and works ugly out of the box on Xubuntu. How do I make it not awful?

you can't.

just embrace it

Install a theme. I hate xfce too, though.

Just because other people recommend it doesn't mean you have to like it. MATE is garbo tier too.

xfce-look.org/browse/ord/latest/
Also look up Compton composite manager

>MATE is garbo tier too.
So I'm not the only one!
>Just because other people recommend it doesn't mean you have to like it.
I know, but I at least wanted to give it a fair chance. After all, there's the possibility that I'll like it even better than GNOME.

How come I can still use Deluge when I haven't set any rules/exceptions in gufw yet?

are you sure the ports aren't opened by default?

I'm not sure. I'm a bit new to this stuff. These are my current settings. Are they not right?

Give it to me straight Sup Forums

Is Manjaro acceptable in 2016?

Just use arch if you want to use arch. Manjewro has no reason to exist.

no distro which is based on another distro will be acceptable in 2017, so enjoy it while it lasts

Debian is honestly a decent distro when you disregard the memes

>MATE is garbo tier too.

I'm sick of these threads and the rabble who spew their vitroil within.

what's the point of using a fully free distro in a chpset with baked in ME that can not be disabled anyway?

You know very well X86 is hostile towards anything but commercialized proprietary software

no
using any derivative distro is not

learn to use the root distribution or use something else

there is no reason to deal with shitty subcommunities

Your favorite DE is bad though.

>Suddenly opening in a terminal in a directory doesn't work in Xfce, instead it always opens in the home directory
What the fuck?

I'm using Arch Linux, if it matters.

everytime

I'm a grill btw

cool, I heard it's pretty difficult to install, is it true?

Yeah, but I managed it. I'm actually a bit proud of myself.

posix or gtfo

okay me too - though moving onto opensuse soon as i prefer the screenfetch logo and kde looks interesting to say the least

wish'd I was that smart

Cool, epic, pretending to be me

I wasn't asking for solutions, by the way, just annoyed that an update broke something like that

stfu! your ID says male!

these threads are awful

They've really gone downhill over the past few years

It's easy to install, you just read the included text file and look up the wiki on your phone if you get lost.

they're actually good, thanks to the memers who search for every little flaw of distros they aren't using. this helps a lot to learn about differences between distros, developer competence, how things should work and shouldn't, etc

Does wayland work on other distros than fedora?

why would you care

hey guys i heard mint is very good for making android apps is that true

Sup Forums is basically tech satire.

The only thing Sup Forums is satire of is itself

Not really. Just don't fuck up when your partitioning/mounting drives.

No better than any other distro.

>Guix
Anybody Guix here?

It's NixOS but using Scheme(guile) instead of that weirdo Haskell-derived DSL NixOS uses so this means you can drive your whole operating system from emacs in a simple functional language(scheme). This has massive advantages especially if you're a dev making docker containers and other things you need to deploy exactly as is across eleventy billion servers.

Essentially instead of piles of programs and daemons that all require specific config files you have one scheme file that configures and deploys your system. You can super-abstract this like a lightswitch where you push a button and bam! dozens of servers deployed all identical to each other that will never have any production updating issues.

Just use Antergos, Manjaro or ArchAnywhere. Epeen will be shorter, tho.

>not using vim

>not using spacemacs

>having to type a keybind to begin inputting text in a text editor

>being a vim babby
Use ed like a real man.

So I'll ask again. When I use dolphin I want to be able to select a directory or some files and press a key command to open the files with a particular program. For some reason this appears to be next to impossible.

whats the most simple, autistic FLOATING window manager other than swm?

Im annoyed by only being able to resize from one corner of the window, not being able to move windows partway offscreen, and wmutils scripst for fullscreen, focus, and a few other things are kinda fucky, and im certain I couldnt do any better if I just made my own.
It was fun to toy with it though

cwm. Seriously. Just read the manual and create a .cwmrc file.

Alt click to move windows and alt middle click to resize. Click anywhere on the window to do that.

cool, thanks

What is Stallman's problem? Why is he such a degenerate and always full of piss and vinegar?

Yeah, it's really good.

>what's the point of using a fully free distro in a chpset with baked in ME that can not be disabled anyway?
This is true. IntelME has full TCP/IP stack and memory access and shares flash with the BIOS. It operates totally independently of the main CPU and is actually really frightening. Glad I'm Librebooted.
>You know very well X86 is hostile towards anything but commercialized proprietary software
But what's a realistic alternative to the x86 arch? Are my other choices really Angry Birds processors or outdated PPC stuff?

Almost any OS is good for that. Just install Debian. Mint and Ubuntu are fucking abortions.

Ignore the picture. Sup Forums keeps fucking up my images for some reason. I run Debian 8 with KDE on a P8400 with 4GB of RAM.

Gentoo user here.

Should I install Gentoo on my laptop or GuixSD?

>P8400
Q3 2008, nice.

Debian 8 on T7100, from Q2 2007.

I've been thinking about a cheap desktop though.

before using guixsd check if your hardware works with linux-libre

Guix can also just be your package manager for Gentoo, you drop in some binaries and then can scheme your system configuration.

Since you use Gentoo, it might be easier to roll Exherbo on your laptop using their package manager completely schemed with Guix but only if you want rollbacks and dependability. Exherbo is all ex Gentoo devs

>But what's a realistic alternative to the x86 arch?
of course, one doesn't exists. I just feel like x86 is cornering free users more and more every generation. PC architectures I guess are just too expensive with R&D and hours for a functioning free alternative. I suppose that's why Talos failed

Should I switch to arch linux? I use slackware and kind of bummed at how old the software is.

Systemd is nothing to fear right?

"systemd is an init program"

>I suppose that's why Talos failed
Well that's fucking depressing.

I really hoped I would get something like that in the future once the price per unit drop.
My car was cheaper than this mobo.

it's also because they are trying to fit a newly release architecture with server budgets in mind into a workstation that it failed. Even if they raised the money it would be very difficult to get a userland going because development for a relatively obscure platform with free software would be a mess.

The grand reason GNU/Linux flourished is because there weren't too many architectures that fragmented the dev community so a lot of manhours went into x86

Power8 is just too obscure. It needs to commercially scale to workstation to even become relevant and even then it would still have trouble attracting devs

That's my take, maybe someone with a more technical background can fill in the details and corrections

majority of mainstream distributions already support power7/8

>using editors
echo, cat, sed , pipes and redirects are all you need
maybe tee if you cant into su

>clearly never worked on any project larger then 10 lines of text

clap clap clap clap

i want be pro elo emac pro
any resources or just use it until i know every thing

yeah but there is a difference between support and having a working workstation with proper ports of everything you might need

just install kubuntu as my first distro. I Didn't know it was a meme distro. Should i install gentoo or debian. I want to learn about networking, so debian seems like a good choice, right?

Will you fuck off?
What the fuck is a "meme distro" you dumb asshole?

Stop seeking approval for every single decision you make.
You're supposed to be grown adult not a child.

Install Gentoo

Gentoo might scare you off, you need to know a little bit about GNU/Linux before using it. But if you really want to learn and will not get too frustrated (and give up early) when you make mistakes, go for it.

>friendly

grow up

i don't like debian
i don't like arch
i don't like fedora
i don't like *buntu
i don't like antergos
i don't like manjaro
i don't like centos
i don't like slackware
i don't like void
i don't like solus
i don't like pclinuxos
i don't like sabayon
i don't like calculate
i don't like freebsd
i don't like openbsd
i don't like dragonflybsd
i don't want to spend 3 days in stalling gen/funtoo

what am i supposed to do now?
why is every single operating system so flawed

Install Solus

>what am i supposed to do now?
accept your special snowflake award

Windows/OS X

I agree with your assessment that every distro is flawed. Simply pick the one you dislike least (for me, it was Debian).

Also, if you say what your concerns/issues are more specifically, we might be able to help fix them or find better alternatives.

Obviously he doesn't want Windows or OSX if he's looking at Linux distros.

Gentoo takes only maybe a day to install.

I don't see mint on there

Obviously the solution is to install mint

dismissing gentoo is easier for babbies

So explain to me extended partitions. An extended partition is the same as the regular partition its a part of? They're both the same partition in a way?

I'm not the guy you replied to, but an entire day for installation is way too long.

The only good thing about Mint is the creation of the Cinnamon DE. Besides that, it's just Ubuntu maintained by incompetent devs

An extended partition is a partition that holds other partitions on a disk. You only need an extended partition if your system NEEDS to use MBR. Otherwise, you're fine.

What steps are needed to upgrade to gentoo testing, other than just ~amd64 in make.conf. Is that all it takes?

why would you move your whole system to testing?

New software?

>fucked up X editing confs
>FUCK can't log into any session now
>somehow I can still see login screen
>oh right I'm on Fedora
>log into GNOME on Wayland
>Correct my fuck up
>everything works again
>feels good man

>fix error within tty
>go on about your day

How can I get touchpad tap to click working on things like awesome wm?

xev
xmodmap
xbindkeys

>need nvidia drivers
>nvidia recommends 375.20 for my card
>drivers available in package manager
>clean install, no issues
>first time i have witnessed nvidia running smoothly in plasma
>feels good

Why does this happen? Can someone help me fix this?

KDE is pretty fucky sometimes. Maybe try restarting plasmashell, if its just something that appears after a bit
killall plasmashell && kstart plasmashell
or, maybe change the rendering backend in the compositor system settings thing?

Neither worked.
If it helps, my mouse cursor is set on resolution dependent and my mouse cursor always get smaller when I hover over the title bar on any window. This happens with any window decoration.

I fucked up x (by using wrong options with compton) like 4 times and had to reset my PC. How dangerous is doing that for my hard drives? Did I probably corrupt something?

I'm afraid I dont really know then, those are just the things I do when something fucks up on my KDE desktop.
I'm a lowly winbabby convert, so I dont think I can be of any help googling couldnt, at this point

got ubuntu on my hp stream, but the wifi isn't working. I looked online and it told me to check the additional drivers part, and i did and it says its working, but no networks are popping up. its weird because when I was trying it out without installing it was working okay. also open to trying other distros that aren't too difficult as long as they work.