Tfw all these years late Trinitrons still have best imagine quality

>tfw all these years late Trinitrons still have best imagine quality

Why is modern "tech" so shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8WzwLR9oGcE&t=2m25s
youtube.com/watch?v=A49FdkLaRNM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube#High-frequency_audible_noise
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why can't they make display tech that doesn't suck?

>tfw Trinitron master race

It sure feels good.

I have an old MagInnovision That still rocks after over ten years. Makes my eyes happy.

picked up trinitron by dumpster a few weeks ago. audio died, how to diagnose? keep getting john john johnsons about silent melee

Are modern TVs shit just cause of the limitations of them being flat?

>flat

I meant thin

Still use mine on a daily basis. Never had a single problem with it.

It's caused by the backlight and the inability to light the screen without light ruining the color black

>best imagine quality

Yeah, they're best for imagining you're looking at quality.

I had a 20 inch trinitron years ago and I sold it like a poor idiot. I miss that huge fucker

>20 inch
>huge

same here, I think I sold it for $20 when I got a cool new Acer LCD

>it was garbage

kek early LCDs were so disgusting

Look at the color difference. It's night and day

youtube.com/watch?v=8WzwLR9oGcE&t=2m25s

>2016
>scaling and stretching 16:9 HD content for a 4:3 SD display
>jesus

The picture on my plasma set is HD/16:9 and much nicer than some ancient CRT

use a receiver and speakers for audio maylay bro

>not having both 4:3 and 16:9 crts
>not mostly watching 4:3 content

youtube.com/watch?v=A49FdkLaRNM

>tfw Field Emission Displays will never get released

>tfw all these years late Trinitrons still have best imagine quality
Amongst CRTs, yes, but you must have literally not seen ANY mid to high-end monitors in the last 4 years to still believe this generally

Their color and contrast was great, but blurriness and distortion unacceptable. Even the worst LCDs absolutely pants the best CRTs in sharpness. I remember when I transitioned from a decent CRT to a medocre LCD of the same resolution and noticing all sorts of little flaws in my web graphics that weren't visible on the CRT at all.

Oh, and that fucking high pitched ringing noise. You can know when someone's watching TV an entire room away from that shit and it's obnoxious.

Trinitrons are heavy as fuck

*gets cancer from electrons being fired at me*

Just buy a cactus bro, everyone knows they absorb the evil CRT rays.

All I want is a 27" 1440p 144hz AMOLED monitor with G-Sync. Is that too much to ask for?

>look at this one aspect of image quality, ignore everything else. It's night and day!

crt shits are the creationists of tech. you can't say IPS because they forever are living in 2004 because they gave up and just pretend you are making shit up on the spot.

i kinda like my lcd monitors, television has always looked unimpressive to me, if you want cinema quality get a decent projector or go to the movies.

Size and portability is a massive factor, I remember the days of lugging around 70lb+ televisions to play halo, it was not fun.

The near future with phones that act as desktops like Windows Phone Continuum and the Android and iOS apps that do the same, is quite exciting.

So they're right?

Wait for pixel strobed 120/240Hz OLED.

But if we keep buying new things that are bad we might end up with something as good as what we started with!

>Oh, and that fucking high pitched ringing noise. You can know when someone's watching TV an entire room away from that shit and it's obnoxious.

I always ask if people are hearing that shit, but no one ever said yes, I thought I had some sort of special hearing or something. Do you know what causes that noise?

i remember when i first saw one in 2001 at the mall, dude was watching a cowboys game on it, and all you saw was BLURS, STREAKS, GHOSTING.

I don't disagree that at that time those displays were good.

However, due to the fact that I need a high resolution display (>1080p) for my PC, and want it to be at least 20", all while not eating up my entire available desk space;
CRTs aren't an option for me.

Forgot to mention the power consumption issue. CRTs are virtually impossible to deal with when it comes to power consumption. I need something that doesn't produce so much waste heat that it makes my AC have to run full time in the summer.

CRTs (good ones) have great picture quality, yes.
However, for my purposes, LCDs or other modern display types suit me better.

the amperage on the coil.

>best image quality
>640x480
>extremely low PPI
>brown instead of black in a lit room because the phosphors reflect light instead of polarizing it
>uneven geometry
>uneven colors
>uneven luminosity
>Limited colorspace

I love how people are still pushing the "CRT is superior meme" almost 10 years after it was last applicable.

Yeah, that was annoying, the noise.

Also, the people who couldn't hear it just have bad hearing / damaged hearing from a lifetime of poor decisions. (Attending concerts / raves IRL without considering the volume of noise hitting their ears, using power tools without ear protection, firearms without using ear protection, etc.)

As far as the source of the noise, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube#High-frequency_audible_noise
Basically, the transformer coils, etc. are things that used enough power and technically 'moved' enough to create a noise audible to people with good hearing.

>have one sitting in my garage collecting dust

What do?

>anime pic
>thinks his opinion is relevant

Great argument there. You totally showed you're more articulate and well reasoned than an "anime" poster.

So really painful coil whine, essentially?

Use it for smash melee
>>>/reddit/

Not either of those posts but it's not "essentially" coil while, it IS coil whine.

No need for an argument. Anyone who likes anime cannot possibly be articulate and well reasoned.

Cool.

Because they still look better even with all that stuff you mentioned.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out shitposter.

>everyone on Sup Forums has always loved anime!
Nice revisionist history. I bet you fool a lot of newfags with that one.

Sup Forums was one of the first few boards newfag.

Cool factoid. You should know that weebs were hated from the start though.

Those are probably coming in at around $2.000.

it's funny that you faggots only started arguing this garbage in the last year

Don't know but I used to hear it as well.

Ironic.

Modern LCD is objectively, measurably better in image quality. Blacks look deeper in lit rooms (not even well light rooms, just lit), the contrast is superior outside unusually dark conditions (e.g. retard in a basement with his screen being the only light source), and LCDs can display resolutions CRTs could never physically manage such as 4k and 5k.
Let's not forget that CRTs are inferior in sharpness to even low PPI screens. There's no contest when it comes to a high PPI display compared to a CRT either, the high PPI display will always be sharper. Trinitons also have horizontal lines that are always visible due to the nature of the aperture grille, which needs to be stabilized.
The only positives CRTs have are resolution independence, practically zero input lag, and practically zero pixel response, but unless you're playing video games that really doesn't matter all. Even in the context of video games it's arguable whether or not it's noticeable compared to a decently fast LCD (outside stress testing tools that is, where it's completely noticeable).

I have to say, the weeaboos on this website are some of the most self righteous people out there.

>I LIKE FLAVOR OF THE MONTH WEEBSHIT THE THE BASED GOOKS PROVIDE FOR MY MANCHILD SELF
>DONT TALK BAD ABOUT ANIME REEEE NORMIE
>FURRIES AND BRONIES? HA, THEY ARE CANCER. BUT I, MYSELF, AM SUPERIOR
>MUM ANIME WEBSITE, MUH HUGBOX

I have a hard time believing that all weeaboos are this delusional

I have a Trinitron and the shitty geometry, among other things about it, piss me off every time I look at it, they're not invalid concerns.

My PVM on the other hand is beautiful. Calibration matters.

don't crts handle lower resolution content better because they don't need scaling?

A PVM is a trinitron, dumbass.

>look at this color difference through your uncalibrated monitor from this compressed cell phone video
WOW

>Modern LCD is objectively blah blah blah blah buh blah buh blah

ur monitor looks shite

I meant a consumer model. I am in fact retarded.

Sony trinatron. Two horizontal lines about at one third and two thirds. They are fain but are there, and will never go away. My autism cannot stand them for this reason.

You'll stop noticing them an hour after you use the monitor and never see them again.

Companies try to make them as cheap as possible also.

This. Modern OLED TVs have unrivaled image quality and contrast ratio. If you're not a gamer and only run things at native resolution OLED computer monitors are becoming affordable soon.

Used an 18 inch Trinitron from 1998 to 2014, I could see them the entire time.

Power supply finally blew and I got a good IPS so w/e

My rents have a 33'' crt with a 1'' solid oak cabinet. Shits gotta be over 300lbs.

there's no point in arguing
there are too many newfriends at this point

>any reason we don't make them like we used to anymore?

They were heavy as fuck. The 34" Trinitrons weighed in excess of 250 lbs.

If I understand correctly the last generation of CRT's were beginning to hit actual physical in both size and resolution, and contrast. Like actual physics bullshit.

They WILL distort due to magnetic changes of the earth. Calibrating them was a bitch, and almost never could be done perfectly. Holy fucking shit, why don't I ever see people bitch about moire patterns when these threads come up...

Look, I used to own one of the last generation of Trinitrons. They were great for their time, and blew LCD's out of the water in many aspects until very recently. But would I ever go back? Hell no, modern LCD tech is now leaps and bounds better.

I'll repeat this because it's hard to understand if you haven't seen a creationist. crt shits simply ignore anything after 2004. you cannot say "modern LCD tech", because they honestly think there is no modern LCD tech, or anything else made after this time.

>well if I base everything off of this one book then I must be right forever because the book doesn't change!

>well if I keep this CRT and this period era LCD here forever, they won't change so the best CRT that cost over $2K at the time will always be better than some shit tier consumer grade LCD forever!

They tried, but normies didn’t want it.

Make display technology great again.

No, FED and SED can be flat. It's about production costs and weight(shipping costs), the majority of people don't care enough so it's not worth it to producers.

Rocking a 21" Dell Trinitron Rebrand

Monitors werent as bad as tvs.

The noise was pretty soothing, I miss it with lcds

What the fuck are any of you talking about?

I owned that TV and the quality was ass. It was smudgy, murky and off-color. It felt like everything was being filtered through a dirty screen, and it's what you would expect for a telivision from the early 2000s.

Are you people seriously just finding ways to be contrarian about a flat pane of glass that renders you an image? Are you people implying that technology giants like Samsung and Sony that have sunk billions of dollars of RND into bettering this grid of coloured squares that accomplishes literally nothing else have taken steps backwards in quality over the past 10 years?

This board is giving me a headache, I need to get away from here

Dude aren't OLED displays basically the practical successor to these?

Didn't even try to hide the fedora.

>my TV was shitty so they must all have been shitty
Maybe it was broken or not calibrated or the glass was fucking dirty by the sound of it.

well ive worn a fedora since the Fifth Grade long before i knew what the Fedora shame was about

This board is miraculously stupid.

I think this is what literal autism looks like. Understanding of the mechanics of things and how they work but utterly moronic when it comes to critical thinking skills and grasping the bigger picture of things.

I did that years ago. I came back today just for a visit and I saw this thread. Jesus, I need to leave for good.

>are you seriously implying companies would rather prioritize making money over making higher quality displays?
hmm

I bought one of those when the first came out 27", and IIRC it cost damn close to $800. That fucker also weighed close to 100lbs. The only thing that saved your back was that there were spaces on either side of the screen that you could use as handles when you had to move it. Thing lasted me a good 10+ years before the tube died.

I know this might be bait, but hilariously this is what crt shits do.

>The most expensive CRT in the world in 2004 was better than some piece of shit LCD included with a prebuilt so CRTs were always better and still are now

CRT SHITS = CREATIONISTS OF TECH = PEOPLE WHO SAY THE EARTH IS 6,000 YEARS OLD. They do not accept anything new because their gay book of plays tells them not to listen. CRT shits think that "modern LCD tech" is just a different religion to theirs.

Huge as in it probably weighed over 50 pounds and was more than 1 and a half foot on each side

>Is that too much to ask for?

No, the question is can you handle the price tag.

Have any of you CRT shits gone outside in the last 10 years? Have you not ever been inside a best buy or a walmart in the last decade and seen the TV's they have on display?

>calibrate your CRT display properly
>use quality, well-shielded cables
>clean the screen
>???
>PROFIT

>getting cancer from electrons
well memed friendo

Have you ever gone innawoods, took a shit there, and seen all the flies flocking to the poop immediately? How could they possibly be wrong? Hmmm...

When electrons slam into shit in a vacuum they create xays.

Pretty much ALL CRT produce low amounts of xrays.

the problem I have with modern TV's is the smart bullshit
how come I can't get something that's basically a giant computer monitor

I just want something as durable as CRTs. My parents still daily use a TV from probably 15 years ago, and it works flawlessly. I have 2 LED TVs, one only a few years old, and I literally have to bang them every day to get the screen back on.

You've got a thick pane of lead-infused glass on the front of any CRT display to shield you from that.

I have two of those. They're shit.

Fuck you op.

something else was wrong (poorly configured, use of composite/NTSC, bad convergence, bad focus, etc, etc)

pic is a common as dirt 1999 shadow mask (not trinitron) television i picked up a couple years ago, it looks great

yea, HDR OLED tv's look awesome, but i can't afford that shit, i got this TV for $5

That's part of resolution independence. Since CRTs use an electron beam to create an image you're not bound to a specific resolution. The dot pitch of the subpixels themselves is the upper limit on resolution, but you can actually use resolutions which surpass it however, but you'll lose finer details at some level, even if you don't really notice it.

It looks good from distance, but when you look at it closely, you can see all types of red and green dots and pixels or whatever it is that CRTs use.

That was exactly what he meant by resolution independence, since any resolution that a CRT supports is done natively