I turn my computer off every night

>I turn my computer off every night
Did I fall for the meme?

I think you fell off the short bus, retard.

With a boot time of under a couple seconds, I feel no remorse turning my computer off for the night/day.

why? What's wrong with turning your computer off every night? Why would I waste electricity on something I'm not using?

>bios takes 15 seconds for me
I guess I need an anime reaction image at this point

If you're not sure if you should turn off your computer when you're not using it, ask yourself "would I rather have my CPU or my HDD die first?"
If you boot from an SSD, then just leave your shit on 24/7 and get a controller to turn off your archive drives.

That doesn't make any sense, retard.

If you think it doesn't make sense, then you lack an understanding of how those parts work.

Having the computer on doesn't meaningfully impact HDD lifetime, and CPU life time is bonkers to begin with. It's measured in decades at worst.

Unless overclocked.

Every time you turn your PC on there is a chance you could fry any or all parts of it.

HDDs slowly die while they're on. Other factors kill them faster but simply being on wears them out.
CPUs get extremely hot when they're on, and cool down when they're off. Metals don't like expanding and contracting repeatedly.
I can't believe I'm having to explain basic shit like this on Sup Forums

>pc runs fine
>turn it off
>all the sudden bios is corrupt
>bios enter update mode without my input
>bios gets whiped
>motherboard dies
>all cause it fucked ram timings on reboot

Doesn't the difference in heat as it spins up/spins down cause more wear to the drive in the long run than just leaving it on?

>HDDs slowly die while they're on.
Tell that to my 9 year old HDD that has been on 24/7

>metal doesn't like expanding and contracting

yes it does you fucking idiot. you know little about volumetric expansion of metals. they fucking go nuts for it.

HDDs will slowly die when they are off too - in fact I've had HDDs die in cold storage. Spin up/spin down and head load/unload are all heightened failure states. Also, the temperature delta between a cold HDD and working HDD is much bigger than it is for a HDD that is constantly on.

All of those things contribute to HDD wear. So you're not going to gain any lifetime out of the HDD by having it power cycle once per day while being off 50% of the time. At best it makes no difference. In some cases you can actually reduce the life time significantly if you power cycle many times a day.

CPUs have a life time so long that it really makes no difference whether you shut your computer down or have it run 24/7. I have never seen a CPU fail in my life and I've built plenty of computers. I own 7 computers right this moment. I think it was 7. I can't even remember how many I have, I only know that 3 desktops and 2 laptops are parts complete and work.

>The QR code actually links to Sup Forums

You did the opposite.

Letting your PC constantly on wears out the components much more faster than shutting it down a couple of hours lately, since they'll work more and have their lifespan severely reduced.

Plus you won't waste tons of money on expensive electricity bills. This is not a problem if you live with your mom but I believe you're a responsible adult that pays your own bills, right?

My parents are paying for my computer science degree right as we shitpost onto this east asia technology board :^)

>CPU
>die

This is a fucking meme. CPUs are the most reliable parts they can go for decades and decades.

>being this poor
its like 5€ more per month if its on so i dont care

No

>its like 5€ more per month if its on so i dont care
Good goy.

>I turn my car engine off every time I park it
Did I fall for the meme?

Is this is a real thread?

I used to do this too, then I realized I hate turning it back on every morning.