Why can't AMD compete with Intel at the medium/high end CPU department? Jew magic?

Why can't AMD compete with Intel at the medium/high end CPU department? Jew magic?

All markets needs to be covered by different companies to avoid a monopoly.

This is AMDs sacrifice to the world.

But there is a monopoly, if you want a non-shit CPU, you gotta buy Intel. Hoping Zen changes the landscape of desktop processors, but I'm not so hopeful.

Because they're shit.

in the late 2000s to early 2010s amd had garbage execs who weren't engineers and literally drove the company to shit

lisa su is an actual engineer with chip design experience but it takes a few years for her managerial changes to take effect

she joined in 2014 and zen is slated for early 2017

so makes sense that amd will probably stop sucking soon

I hope you're right, the processor market is so fucking stale, they barely improve these days.

It probably won't do much because only us will know about it. Normies nearly cum when they hear Intel core i5, if they hear AMD zen processor, they don't even know what it is. Intel will always be more reputable than AMD

The only brand normies know is Apple, and Apple has a relationship with AMD. Remains to be seen if Zen is good enough for Apple to use.

Not really, a lot of people are too poor for Apple. And if they use Apple, they dont care which CPU is in there.

Don't be ridiculous. You can spot literal hobos with the latest high end Apple iPhones and future hobos in college on gender studies course with the latest and greatest Macbooks.

People are willing to take out loans to become dumber in colleges, they are also willing to take out loans to buy apple products.
And so they do.

Serious question though. Why can't Intel compete with Apple mobile CPUs?

cause intel's CPUs are engineered for power while Apple/ARM are built for low power consumption above all else

Poor design, poor process, slow adoption, and a side of mindshare. AMD built Bulldozer to be able to clock faster yet they built more cores in AND simultaneously lengthened the pipeline AND somehow built L3 and L2 cache with nearly twice the latency of Sandy Bridge. Further, CMT on each module makes it exceptionally finnicky about scalability with Turbo Core. A background thread running will unpark an entire module and render it's scalability null. The fact that it is in the majority of modern consoles is an absolute marvel.

I've heard that Intel may be integrating some SoftMachines like solution to their next generation or next-next generation of processors to exploit more ILP, so I'd say AMD is barely scratching the surface with the Zen architecture.

but consoles don't use bulldozer, right? it's their netbook line AMD Jaguar, which is similar to the A4 APUs, right?

AMD CPUs are great, however they're not as good as Intel for gaming (pre-zen anyways) and for some reason people keep falling for the meme of getting an FX CPU for gaming

If you look at the right CPU benchmarks you would know what I'm talking about

I'm pretty sure you're correct. That Micro architecture looks nothing like Bulldozer meme architecture to me.

They are not that good even in the right benchmarks, though. Price/performance wise sure, but performance per watt is really lackluster.

I guess for the last few years intel knew what they were doing and amd did not. intel patenting some of their designs and technologies just made it more difficult for amd to catch up.

hopefully the tales of the return are true and Zen will at least bring intel's high end cpu prices down.

>at the medium/high end CPU department

Sup Forums, i'm drawing blanks here, but i swear a while back that people were mentioning an old i7 (or i5) that was still good and cheap by today; do you know what that is?

The meme CPU, 2500k? It was pretty good a year or two ago but you can't overclock it high enough to compete against new processors like 6500 anymore.

could it handle SFV and Overwatch with a good GPU?

I see college kids taking loans to get the latest gaming laptop

Online shooters aren't demanding graphically, it's a small map, compared to single player games, and especially open world games, and Overwatch is what, 8vs8? Even 16vs16 or 32vs32 doesn't match the amount of models you have in many single player games.

Also blizzard games are usually accessible specs wise

That's not the case in my country

It can handle any game. You'd probably see bottlenecking in games like gtav with all the bells and whistles on, but they'd be playable .

Actually, yeah I think that's right. If I recall they are being used in Semprons and other AM1 processors. Interesting they would choose that route because the Carrizo has much better adaptive clocking than Jaguar and Puma.

I think your view on world is a little bit twisted user maybe because you attent some liberal shithole of a college or something. In reality apple and their os is literally as popular as your linux.

Thats not hot monopoly works. However they do have a oligopoly.

>liberal shithole
This is every non private college though, and every department
I'm an engineering student in the state of Iowa and the majority of laptops that I see are macbooks

It took long fucking enough but because we are reaching absolute limits when it comes to silicon AMD would really have to be a meme company that everyone thinks it is to fuck this up. Only thing that's going to annoy me is all those autistic retards that hover around here spouting their AMD biased nonsense. It's bad enough we have gaymers from Sup Forums bashing heads with autism from Sup Forums when it comes to GPUs. I honestly predict Zen being 2 gens behind Intel which in practice is something meaningless like 5% performance difference. They can gain nice crowd of followers if their prices will be better than what Intel has to offer. Give me something from SR5 on a level of 6600K with lower TDP and similar price and I'm sold.

breh macbooks are fucking trash though,
no dedicated gpu, no cuda for render, no nothing, its a barron shit tier laptop, equal to any 3-400$ windows pc.
if you own a mac you overspent for a crippled os.
mac os in all forms equals 6% of pc users.

The point of my post was that they're popular amongst college students, not that they're good. They're basically fashion accessories, they're pretty hard to fuck up thanks to the walled garden of software, and they do everything that most college students need (browsing the internet and writing papers).
I honestly think it's kind of funny because they use so much glass in the build and a lot of students are clumsy as shit/not careful with their electronics

i7 920?

Short version? Pajeets aren't as competent as kikes.

Long version? AMD overpayed for ATi, crippling cpu development what lead to the shitty bulldozer. Plus intel has great fabs, while AMD is forced to use a mediocre one for it's cpu's.

Mememememememememe you can't even get some thought of your own?

AMD will be fine but will need some serious marketing strategies, the platform is solid enough

>422 times the net income
>28 times the amount of assets
>158 times the amount of equity

how can white men even compete?

Yup, who ever ran AMD were fucking retards especially the last guy. We prob could've had a Zen like CPU back in 2012.

amd is a pretty small company didnt know that

If the gaymen event at 13th ends up being bad their marketing will always remain trash.

Totally... But the cheap laptops are AMD' reliable niche

If they don't fuck up their price outside the US like they did with the Rx480, then they'll score.

Hector Ruiz, or more like, Hector RUIN. Screwed Motorola Semi over, and came over and screwed AMD over. While he was selling amd's fabs and stocks were plumeting, he got some bonuses and then left to some big role in Global Foundries.

Fucken spic

AMD's fuckups are legendary but its also part massive Intel jewelry.

Late 90s-early 00s they had CPUs that got near or rivaled Intel. They spanked Intel's fucking ass with the Athlon lineup to the point where Intel was pretty much caught with their pants down. And the P4 was eating ass.

Intel resorted to pulling strings with virtually all OEMs to not make PCs with AMD chips. This resulted in a massive lawsuit where jewtel was able to drag their feet and eventually payout a small settlement years after the fact. This cucked AMD's momentum. But nonetheless AMD was able to make headstrong innovation. AMD64 won over Intel's Itanium as the 64 bit extension instruction set, which really fucked intel over.

Then, AMD's board of directors along with it's CEO decided to splinter off AMDs manufacturing arm into a separate entity called GlobalFoundries. Which quickly saw itself get fucked by other prefab manufacturers like TSMC and began losing money. This slowed down prefab research while intel and TSMC caught up. GlobalFoundries acquires a bunch of other smaller semiconductor manufacturers but has a troubled die shrinkage process. Now a lot of the talent was split between AMD and GlobalFoundries with an added level of bureaucracy slowing down research and manufacturing. Suffice to say the CEO saw a lot of potential growth in the semiconductor business and couldn't give a shit about AMD as a whole. AMD gets its chips from TSMC now.

AMD, now behind in the performance game decides to acquire ATI in order to integrate CPU-GPU chips for mobile computing. This works brilliantly in the short term but intel began shitting out extremely powerful and low power consuming chips, while AMD still weren't able to catch up. AMD's short term success was not to outweigh the amount of research and money Intel can throw at their manufacturing process. They also didn't make enough money for their GPU division to remain competitive against Nvidia. So its been a double whammy.

>iowa
Not surprising. Though it seems like Nebraska universities are getting just as bad.

makemoarcores.jpg

because bulldozer sucks and zen isn't out yet.

This is the most accurate description of the AMD story I've read in a while.

They've done OK. They've managed to survive up to this point, and while we've had a bit of a slump from them lately, I think they're coming back.

What I mean by this is, for the last 3 years or more, really since the 8350 originally came out, we had absolutely nothing that was actually considerable or competitive in the mass market. Sure, they had the R series but I don't think anything from that was particularly remarkable or even directly competitive with NVidia. Maybe cost a bit less but for raw performance I don't feel like they had anything really. But now we have the RX480 and, despite rocky issues at launch, the non-reference cards from the 480 really make a compelling argument against an NVidia 1060 which is what they are DESIGNED to compete against, or, in that market. There's actual competition, and there are some people who are actually compelled to buy an AMD card due to performance over Nvidia at a given tier, rather than loyalists like myself who have always used AMD and ATI stuff since 06 or before, and don't want to see them fail. The RX480 is competitive, and I don't think that can be denied. The only people who can deny this are the ones who THINK it's supposed to be their big flagship to compete with the 1080. It's not. And I really think there are people who believe that.

Same with the CPU market. The last "good" processor they made was the 8350/8320. Now, when I say good, I mean it was good 3 years ago. It's getting long in the tooth now but remember when these chips were new, they were actually not bad for AMD chips. But they have stagnated since then. Sure they're absolutely dirt cheap and do still overclock quite well, but they're older tech and they really can't compete properly with Intel's latest offerings. That's why I'm excited for Zen.

I just got hired for an internship at AMD and they're really hopeful about the Zen CPU's so here's hoping

Literally do not buy a 2500k or 2600k in current year. My 2600k is shitting the bed on a lot of games now.

the 8350 isn't competitive, it's a power hungry piece of crap with bad IPC, and the amazing MUH CORES design

it isn't competitive now but it stayed so for years after its release with nothing but price cuts

Yeah did you read anything I had just said? It isn't competitive in the modern market but when it came out it was absolutely competitive. It's getting a bit long in the tooth but is still dirt cheap for someone looking to build. Like, it's not totally irrelevant yet. Last I've seen they're like $110 at local Microcenter and you can bundle with a motherboard for like $30 more. Try to beat that.