Why haven't you bought a stick pc? you just plug it in your hdmi port on your tv

why haven't you bought a stick pc? you just plug it in your hdmi port on your tv

plug it into your asshole and call me william

You want to know how i know you're not from America

Because I'm not mentally retarded. Also, I don't own a TV

or, you know, literally any other computer with an hdmi output

can you install linux on it?

The compute stick I got for free from intel came loaded with ubuntu.

But I have, I bought like 5 for work. Or rather, I had 5 bought for me. I use them for dashboards on TVs.

They're just about powerful enough to display websites, and not much more.

Free?

my tv doesn't have an HDMI port

Because the smart ones of us realize that once the tv manufacturers figure out what these things are they are gonna build them into the tv. But then that's just a large tablet. Whops. Also because hololense beats both.

It's the "stick" i suppose .

is this better than a raspberry pi?

Protecting yourself from electromagnetic tradition, heh. All the time doin' it with style

>hololens
it'd be great if it weren't shit

if you understood tmux and emacs you would understand that terminals in hololense and an anime/metal window playing in the background is all you need. c-x b Sup Forums ret /me tips fedora ret m-x tetris ret

That is one big ass baked potato.

too damn expensive
make it for like $50 instead of $150+

>once the tv manufacturers figure out what these things are they are gonna build them into the tv

trust me, they already did. but they're not going to spend >$100 on a latest gen intel cpu. they put in anemic ARM designs and then shove basic android functionality in their "smart" TV's.

even the most technically powerful smart tv designs, made by LG for use with webOS, which costs almost as much as a fucking CAR, is laggier than my mid tier android phone.

>make it for like $50 instead of $150+

do you not realize that JUST the cpu is over $100? let alone the rest of the pcb and shit.

The fuck are you talking about, tard? CPU is $35, other than that it is cheap PCB with bunch of resistors and memory chips.
AlTAIR minicomputer costed $400 with a price of Intel 8080 $396.

I will when it will have an i7

And at least 16GB of RAM and at least a gtx 1070

because it is a system on a chip, and you cant update it, so once it gets out of date you are stuck with an out of date system on a chip, i would rather just use my desktop with a LCD TV as a monitor then i can watch TV when i want to, and i dont have to buy a stupid TV tuner card

Because he said `haven't you bought' instead of the more colloquial `didn't you buy'.

because he's not fat and stupid?

It is created to build a multimedia station based on TV (internet, TV, music, videos in the same place). This stick is just for intertainment.

Considered getting one for netflix, other on demand services that just runs better as UWP apps and some web browsing. The idea was to velcro it to the backside of my monitor. But the fan kills it and I got a tablet with the same specs. 2GB RAM just isn't enough for multi tasking.

I'll wait a few more hardware revisions and once it comes with 4GB RAM and a better Atom I might buy one for the TV at my cabin.

Because I don't buy shit I don't need

>is laggier than my mid tier android phone.
I tried to buy a dumb/stupid TV with good specs but the guy at the store decided I was retarded because a smart TV cost just as much. I'd rather not have a fucking Android OS making the TV laggy piece of shit that you hardly can change the channels on. I got a HTPC that solves my smart TV problem

BECAUSE I ACTUALLY DO SHIT WITH A COMPUTER AS OPPOSED TO MASTURBATING ALL DAY TO CHINESE PEDOHILE CARTOONS.

YOU FUCKING PATHETIC FAGGOTS.

bought one..

it had trouble playing a 3500kbps 720p AceStream link :(

2gb of ram and atom 8350 cpu..

Whew lad. Maybe you should work smarter so you have free time to do fun things.

/thread

Got one for my parent's bedroom TV. Guess it's comfy with a wireless mouse and keyboard. It's plenty powerful for normie applications and full HD streaming.

>not just going to the store to compare $product in person and then ordering it online
I think we found who the real autist is

There are practical issues with that. Sending a 120" TV bought online for RMA is quite a bitch. I've done it once and never again. You have to keep all original emballage and that takes up a lot of space. Buying in a store I can just get a full service deal where they have to collect the TV at my home if there are any issues with it.

I think I'm the real autist now

Not the same poster but I got one at an MS event a few months ago.

how long til hdmi can give one of these things enough power to not need to be plugged in? could usb c do it?

We use these at work connected to TV carts as sort of thin clients that people can RDP into their boxes with, or even to let guests use locally.

They're not supercomputers but they are absolutely viable for normal compute tasks. Really neat little devices.

I'm an AMD guy but this is the type of stuff I like to see out of Intel that fascinates me.

I don't even know how much these cost, surely they can't be that much.

That little things would barely handle my 4k tv

Because he said stick-PC instead of pole-PC ?

First intel compute stick was handling youtube 4k perfectly fine. New stick has even more ram, better CPU and better emmc.
So your point is invalid

The fan noise is too loud

Yeah all the TVs we run them on at work are 4K they do fine. PCs do not have to be the size of a briefcase anymore if all you're doing is basic shit.

Why the fuck would I do that when my computer and television are on the same room?

If your TV and PC are in same room, then run an HDMI or DP cable or whatever, sure.

However, not everyone has their PC in the same room as their TV since they have more than 1 room in their house. Typically they will have an office or a separate room in which they store their PC for compute tasks and workloads, and possibly gaming, and use a TV in the living room to consume media typically through a cable connection or internet connected streaming service. They also will typically store their ISP-provided router with default settings somewhere that the ISP puts it, and connect everything to their open Wifi network.

There, you're not a normie do you feel better? Not everyone has their PC directly connected to their TV.

My phone connects to my TV via bluetooth
As does my Laptop
There's not much more I can do with this dongle.

you can use steam in-home streaming for gaymes, it's something I guess