ITS OFFICIAL: RX 480 > GTX 1060

Fucking this: youtube.com/watch?v=gEw3CaNSbUo

Things changed since summer. There is no reason to buy GTX 1060. With latest Nvidia and AMD drivers you will got:

> RX 480 is 0 to 2 percent slower than GTX 1060. Compared to summer, that was 8-12%. Huge performace improvement on AMD driver side
> RX 480 is 6% faster in DX12 titles

So, equal DX11 performance and greater DX12 performance. Thanks Sup Forums I fell for the meme! There is no reason to buy njewia anymore. Future belongs to AMD

Other urls found in this thread:

overclocking.guide/amd-radeon-rx-460-unlocking-1024-stream-processors/
tweaktown.com/news/54433/amd-improved-radeon-rx-480-50-better-perf-watt/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=zWASNajSdpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how about stop being poor and get a 1080

*rips open a bag of gamer fuel*

It's sad though, I love AMD driver updates but hell they lost so much potential over these 6 months.

Yes thats sad because Nvidia sold out 4x more 1060 than 480

nvidia is always going for the first impression..if they can win on day 1 its enough for them this is what is going on with gimpworks
afterall there isnt really enough room to play with pascal cards at all they are already as high as they can since they are essentially a maxwell card and nothing more
just look where gcn 1.0 cards are 7970 is 290x with improved ace engines..its the fucking same chip since 2011 and its still fucking like 2.5 generations of nvidia..

Great explanation
I literally cant find any reason to buy nvidia

Pajeet shillond team is full on out, fucking streetshitting amds

NOVIDEO GIMPFARCE™ IN FULL EFFECT

DELTE TIS

AhahahahajHAHAHAHAHAAAA

See, this isn't gonna actually mean anything unless you get it out to the masses, they'll still firmly believe the 1060 is faster because it's costlier.

As for why Nvidia isn't getting any upgrades with drivers this gen, it's simply, Pascal is Maxwell on insane clock speeds, Nvidia has already optimized the caches and pipeline for Pascal long ago, therefore it hasn't got anything more to optimize besides engine specific hacks.

>people that bought the 3gb version of 1060 or a 1050ti because they didnt want to buy an amd card

kek

Anyone know what that do in the new ayymd drivers?

You are also an enthusiast, you are not a normie.
Most people will buy prebuilds and most prebuilds have nvidia cards in them.

HDMI CEC

if you disable it, you will get nothing through your HDMI ports goy

Because it's the best™

I'm looking to get a new GPU, should I get a RX 480?

Either that Or I want to get a ASUS GTX 970.

>GTX 970
>Getting a last gen nvidia card
Are you dense?

Both are very similar cards, go for the one that is cheaper.

Alright, RX 480 it is.

top cec

Will the RX480 run witcher 3/fallout 4/BF1 and other demanding games at 60fps or close to when maxed?

nothing runs unoptimized and buggy AAA games very well when "maxed"

ok should I get MSI or Sapphire brand? The MSI is £20 more.

Only FO4 is unoptimized and buggy because, well, Bethesda it is.

I bought a gtx 1060 because i have a small case. My 1060 is at 2050 mhz so it's probaly faster than a 480

You retards do realize the AMD card also lost performance, in fact, it lost more compared to the NVIDIA card.

Present yourself in front of a speeding semi-trailer your moronic idiot it said 780 TI PERF VS 290X, it actually LOST performance vs the 290x AND 980.

Man NoVideo tards are so brain-dead that they can't even read tables anymore, no wonder they'll proudly shill for their Jew overlords.

Fuck AMD Nvidia domination

But the 480 is like twice the price of a 200€ 1060gtx..

I bought a Gigagabyte gtx 1060, my first Kikevidya card. What did I get? Clockspeed bug that has the memory running at a constant speed of 4Ghz if monitor is set to 144Hz, PC black screening and restarting when I attempt to wake it from sleep and GeForce botnet shit that requires log-in. Very annoying stuff that makes me wish I had bought AMD instead. Positive things: Shadowplay, Ansel in-game screenshot software, low power consumption and nice temperatures. These features are what made me buy it in the first place.
Next time buying AMD for sure, though. At least it's most likely a cheaper loss in case Nvidia turns out to be the better choice.

The biggest secret when it comes to GPUs is that mid range cards will run everything fine. I have a 970 and I can max near everything at 4k.

At glorious 20 fps, I assume.

where?
In Hungary they (3gb and 4gb variants) costs about the same, ~5% price difference

50-60fps.
Don't believe everything marketing tells you.

Belgium
1060 6gb starts around 200-240€, 480 starts around 380-420... Why even bother

>Shadowplay
AMD got one too, and you don't need to install overbloated botnet software for it
>Ansel in-game screenshot software
works in 3 games? it's kind of nice though, true, but the fact that you need to login to sue it kills it for me
>low power consumption
only at idle, on load they are roughly the same +-7%
>nice temperatures
exactly the same if you do not buy asus or gigabyte for AMD, not that temps matter at all if it's silent and doesn't throttle

Do research for at least one month before buying anything.

>EU taxes

It's other way around here 480=$240 and 1060=$350+

I like DX11 games

You're ether lying or then Nvidia cards are being sold without tax in Belgium because everywhere else the RX 480 and 1060 cost about the same.

Amazon.de ship packages for free even to my shithole, I wonder if they dont to Belgium. If you serch for it, 3gb 1060 and 4gb rx480 costs about the same (at checkout, amazon calculating with the belgian VAT rather than german).

> on load they are roughly the same +-7%
Sure thing, Rajesh.

>Posting this one cherrypicked game over and over again
>When it's well known that the devs developed the PC version pretty much entirely for Nvidia cards and didn't even bother testing it until just before release.

>Peak load
>Representative of a fluctuating load
2 rupees have been deposited into your account

Well done Mr Patel!

You're in denial.

me too but wont be untill next year

for now it probably looks like this
zen with 4+cache
xfx 480 gtr

who knows we'll see

if ayymd get back into coreboot developement will be great

Here's a tip, all developers are in nvidia's pockets or are at least fools to their marketing.

One of the devs I've worked with were even amd sponsored, and I top management laughing at amd for being amd and shit.An AMD dx12 trailer for them was recorded on nvidia hardware, their texture code base is all opencl and their tech people still think it needs nvidia to run on, the prerelease versions of the game only officially support nvidia drivers. Normies really have no idea about nvidia.

The game still runs better on AMD cards though.

>posting obviously fabricated results
At least try it

These ones not from a shill site. The numbers with and without under load, in Watts.

nvidia cards age like milk, amd cards age like wine :^)

>Assuming most Sup Forumsaymers understand Turkish

You can also unlock your 460 from 896 streaming processors to 1024 by flashing the bios.

Guide here: overclocking.guide/amd-radeon-rx-460-unlocking-1024-stream-processors/

AMD so good to us!

I have a bottle of AMD FineWine™ stashed away for the right moment.

no no no no no... this can't be happening... this can't be real... please tell me this is photoshopped. I just ordered 3 more Nvidia t-shirts so I can show my swagger during christmas... Nvidia wouldn't betray me like this...

All number in watts.
the colors from left to right:
> with turned off display
> without load, windows desktop
> DXVA (WQHD)
> under load (Sniper Elite 3)

These are whole system consumptions, included CPU etc.

RX480 doesn't look too horrendous here, but it's striking how much power draw jumps up from just displaying the desktop (16W) or playing video (32W??).

Getting a new card from Xmas sales. Either a 480 or a 1070. Should I still cough up a bit more for the 1070?

do you read?

>get a 290/390
>slower than the gtx 970 3.5
>wait™ months for good driver
>now better performance
>but everybody bought the gtx 970

>get a fury x
>slower than the 980ti
>now better performance
>but everybody bought the 980ti

>get a rx480
>slower than the gtx 1060
>now better performance
>but everybody bought the 1060

AMD LADIES AND GENTLEMANS

It turns out It wasn't Polaris' design that was shitty, it was GloFo's shitty 14nm process that was leaky as fuck.

GloFo's fixed their shit and now the new batch of RX480's have a TDP of 95W instead of 150.

One of the new batch of cards, the XFX GTR, cant boost to in and around 1500Mhz using 150W and staying below 70C

tweaktown.com/news/54433/amd-improved-radeon-rx-480-50-better-perf-watt/index.html

youtube.com/watch?v=zWASNajSdpg

A bit shit for AMD to do it in the middle of a product life cycle but better late than never I guess.

At least it means Vega won't have the same problem when its released, hopefully it and Zen can deliver.

amd for the win brother

I am tired of nvidia cuckoldry, I'm joining team #red

Just bought the RX 480.

Upgrading from my GTX 580, hope this is worth it.

Its going to be over twice as fast.

will it be more powerful than the GTX 970?

>2017
>still on 1080p

pleeeeb

It's pretty horrendous that the gtx 1060 uses more power with the display off...

W A I T™

I'd say so.

at least 2560x1080 :^)

not sure which to get for 1080p. which is best value for money?

>470 4gb
$225
>480 4gb
$255
>480 8gb
$295 usd

I've got an 8GB Saphire rx480. I have The Witcher 3 maxed except for Nvidia goywerks. It keeps that keeps steady. Fallout 4 is more demanding, I think I only have that on high instead of "Ultra" and it has occasional frame rate drops.

The 470 is the best price vs performance card right now.

Please attach a soundcloud clip to respond.

I don't get stupid rivalries this that.

ok cool i bought the msi one

Honestly at this point I don't think Sup Forums is taking AMD seriously just because AMD's CEO is a Rajesh. Still pretty good numbers, we'll see in a few more months if there's any huge difference.

FinFETs do not leak like planar transistors.
The Ellesmere die used in the RX 480 only pulls 110w at its gratuitously high stock voltages.
Calling this leaky is only showing your gross ignorance of transistor characteristics.
The biggest culprit for wasting power is the 8Gbps clocked GDDR5 chips, they're pulling a nominal 40w~.

FinFETs have a static on point, they have a very definite minimum voltage needed to switch unlike planar devices which more gradually ramp up in their clock/voltage scaling. You couldn't make an Ellesmere die binned high enough to cut its power consumption in half. With voltages for all the pstates set to sane levels you can cut 15-20w off the ASIC power draw, and thats as good as it can get. The RX 480 won't display lower power consumption unless you sacrifice clocks by lowering the power target in Wattman, which is exactly what AMD is doing with their 95w embedded Polaris parts.
The cards need lower power memory. Higher density, lower power draw chips to reign in that 40w~ draw the board is currently dealing with.
The 14nm LPP process isn't "leaky" and its not even GloFo's own process. Its Samsung's, and they have 1:1 parity across all facilities with 14nm lines. They didn't fuck anything up. You just don't understand what you're trying to talk about.

*puts on Gunnar brand gaming glasses*

Meh, I was just regurgitating what I'd read in a previous thread, I'm used to years of GloFo being shit so I just instinctively believed it.

It seems they dropped power consumption by optimizing the PCB and power delivery, how exactly it seems remains a mystery.

It's in no way sacrificing clocks to do so however, see in the video I linked that the cards stock boost clock (which is slightly higher than reference) never fluctated once and power consumption never exceeded 90W.

I'm more concerned with why this couldn't have been done at product launch than I am in the die process itself.

Yeah but all other things equal, software alone is reason to go Nvidia.

>do research
Trust me, I did. There is no objective information about consumer technology so it made no difference. Only now after spending money on shit I know better. Thanks, nvidia shills

>software alone is reason to go Nvidia.
if you have a "die in a housefire caused by automatic driver updates that turn your graphics card in a spark machine" then by all means go novidia

It's not "fucking" nvidia, since nvidia has the performance lead by a huge margin. It's fucking what nvidia competed against it at the time of release, but that's a small surprise considering nvidia nickle and dimes you.

The bad thing for AMD is that this is a good business model. Yes AMD cards are better than nvidia equivalents from long ago as AMD has been improving the driver significantly - but the people who had those nvidia cards switch over to latest generation nvidia cards when their performance is no longer adequate and very few care that their old card performs better or worse than the competitor - the purchase decision was so long ago that they don't go around checking benchmarks anymore to validate their purchase. The validation was done before purchase if at all.

>by optimizing the PCB and power delivery
How generic. This is eaxactly like watching a clueless LinusCuckTips watcher spewing tech buzzwords he doesn't understand.

Tempted to buy one. My old computer needs a graphics card. If it didn't unlock, it'd be a really bad buy though.

lel, that's what the TweakTown source says.

They could have improved the inductors, caps, mosfets or even the PWM regulator, but as I said, not even the source knows what they really did to improve power delivery, but it's been proven it worked and with a 50% improvement that's huge.

But thanks for a solid contribution using buzzwords and memes friend!

Like TweakTown is any better than LinusDickLicks.
None of what you just regurgitated has anything to do with the manufacturing process used to produce Polaris. This is like talking about a car's external lighting system and saying how it relates to how the engine block was made.

this is like the 3-core phenom chips all over again

don't buy a 460 expecting this hack to work

Do they even sell a single Polaris 11 variant with all the CU units enabled?

My old computer has a 3 core chip unlocked to 4 cores as a matter of fact.

What about the 470?

It's still shit compared to the 1060 3GB

Point is a 150W card now uses 95W, despite muh 110W ellsemere die. And doesn't drop clocks.

I don't care how desu senpai.

You should, because that means you should never be an early adopter of AMD's shitty GPUs. Or never adopt them at all.

Rly? I thought it was only slightly worse than the 480. Which would put it around the level of the 1060 or slightly lower?

Lower than the 1060 3GB in all aspects

Dsr :^)

Nvidiots absolutely btfo
Just Wait™ AMDBros