/pcbg/ PC Building General

4th Advent comfy edition.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gqbjRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/thzMM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/CWkTZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/txXHqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/N7kTZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/dZFtLD
pcpartpicker.com/list/dPqkHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/WdJ88K
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/L4Lrqk
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2fbtLD
youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk
pcpartpicker.com/list/q22RwV
youtube.com/watch?v=PfsCTejolj4
pcpartpicker.com/list/JqFtLD
pcpartpicker.com/list/Z8D26X
pcpartpicker.com/list/FK8MM8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How are the lian li suitcase PC?

Any suggestions or improvements to make the price lower? This is will be my first time building. Also I'm from Canada so prices are higher.
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gqbjRG

Its that time of the year again.

Currently, I have a fx-6300 (yes amd cpu lmao) and a r9 280.

Should I make the upgrade to intel OR just get a better gpu?

Get a better GPU.

Hold out until Zen comes out.

Get new RAM, Mobo, and CPU.

I've got an fx 6300 and just upgraded my 750ti to an rx 470. If you're gaming at 1080/60fps just get a graphics upgrade.

If you're gonna be gaming at higher rez/fps then go intel.

So how trustworthy is kinguin? I'm looking into getting windows 7 key from there or are there better ways to get win 7?

What's the best "Bang for buck" video card these days?

Would it be batshit retarded to jump to X99 right now? Currently have a 4770K. It does OK when I rip CD's and do audio/video encoding but I can't help but imagine extra cores and memory bandwidth would be a godsend for that kind of thing.

pcpartpicker.com/list/thzMM8

Replacing mobo, gpu, and storage on my machine, reusing psu, cpu, ram, disk drive, and case.

Will be using pc mostly for gaming (overwatch and league, mostly) on a sony 3d display (a little wider than 1920x1080). Some game development (unity, blender, gimp, and unreal) as well.

Think I could get away with this to start? Tight on money so limiting myself to about 500 for these parts. Will probably need to replace the cpu and upgrade ram eventually.

Well, apparently the first Zen CPUs are going to launch in January, so unless they turn out to be a total flop, you're better off waiting.

Don't waste too much money on that build. Get a cheaper mobo and maybe only a RX470 4G, depending on what you play aside from Overwatch and LoL.
You do have a custom cooler, right? If not, time to get one.
pcpartpicker.com/list/CWkTZ8

r/microsoftsoftwareswap

What do you do with your pcie x1 slot?

right now im still on an 8350 OC to 4.8 and a fury x. realistically how long do I have left in this system?
mostly just shitpost and write on the computer, I do some gaming but not as much as I used to, and even then the hardest games to run that I play are witcher 3 and some GTA V. I've started editing a lot more video lately which the 8350 isnt bad for but it isn't great. I dont make a living off of that though so it isn't a primary concern. I added in the storage because I'm running out, but other than that I think this should be fine for a while, yeah?
only upgrade ive considered doing is switching over to a dual e5-2670 build, but with zen so close I think i might just hold of entirely, if zen blows it out of the water go zen, if not either go dual xeon or just keep my 5 year old space heater
what do you guys think?

Hoping to pick your brains a little, Sup Forumsents.

Got a budget of $750 and looking to build a small profile PC to take to LANs (There's two of us going, and while lugging around one R4 on a trolly is fine, I really don't want that size again)

Not looking for anything stupidly small where cable management is going to be akin to the Trolley Dilemma.

Just a nice bang for buck system that runs most LAN type games on whatever settings.

Thanks Sup Forumsents

What would you change/improve? Cannot decide for the 6600 or 6500.

btw I changed the PSU for a EVGA 600B.

Either get 6500 or 6600k and z170 board. 6600 is not worth the price over 6500.

went a little over, i think its like 770
gotcha i7 level cpu, 480, SSD, 8gb of ram and the case is pretty small and light
only concern would be there's no space for cable management, so you'll have to not be retarded putting it together. If you need to shave some bucks slap a hdd in instead of ssd, I just threw that in because i figured a LAN pc probably doesnt need much storage anyhow

shit, forgot link, here it is
pcpartpicker.com/list/txXHqk

Got it, thx man.

Case and cpu have plenty of cooling, never had overheating ussues.

What cheaper full atx mobos should I consider? Also, I am prepared to spend the money for the 480 8gb, I regret trying to save a few bucks on my gpu last time.

What makes this better than kinguin?

What said, the non-k 6600 has shit value compared to 6500 and 6600K.
>32GB RAM
For what fucking purpose? Your choice of CPU/mobo tells you all you want is to play games. If that's the case, get no more than 16GB.

So my current PC is getting a little dated, i'm thinking of getting some median upgrades to tide me over until i do a new build.

The RX 470 or 1050Ti seem very reasonably priced, but i'm a little tempted to spend the extra money for a 480 or 1060, I only really want to play games at 1080, and it'll be paired with an i3 4430.

You have as long as it's going to function.
Everything your new build would do, your current system already handles at least adequately.
Ask yourself, is getting ~15 extra frames in games on high/ultra settings and a bit faster editing times worth it?
If you have the money, sure why not.
Always nice to have capable hardware which doesn't experience any hangups when doing creative work.
But I doubt you'll experience a mindblowing difference in real life for the most part of your use.
The new build will do everything your current build does, but it will do it 20-50% faster with heavier workloads.
Might not even be that much faster when working with smaller file sizes.

Awesome, pretty damn good looking!

pcpartpicker.com/list/N7kTZ8
rate, the GPU and 212evo is from my old PC, will upgrade the GPU in the upcoming year or two
Had X4 965 b4 this

>What cheaper full atx mobos should I consider?
Considering your build, you shouldn't invest too much money. Imho get any 970/990/990X/FX mobo up to 100 bucks.
The one i included (Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+) should be enough.

Your PSU is shit, get the EVGA 500B like every other good goy.
No SSD? Get a cheap SSD, it's worth it. You could also get a cheaper B150 mobo for like 75 bucks or so.

Ah, missed that. Thanks!

I have an SSD from older build but I won't keep it for too long and couldn't find it on pcpartpicker, since I don't remember its full name and I'm not on my PC for now
My PSU has always been shit, this is probably the best I'll have, it's also 5 year warranty and semi modular 80+ bronze
Also my whole fucking country doesn't even sell EVGA PSUs, desu the whole premium PSU shit feels like snake oil if you don't OC or do some shit like multiple GPUs or just shitton of hardware in one PC

>premium PSU
>EVGA 500B
LOL.

That's a great wreath.

I recently built a PC about two months ago, I was so poor I couldn't afford a monitor, and am currently using an old 720p TV.

I want a monitor for about $100 (bit over is fine), 1080p, matte screen so I can't catch my reflection in it, and about 24~ inches wide. I've found a few on Amazon that meet some of these criteria, but I can't tell if they have a glossy screen or not and don't want to risk it. I have no idea how to find what I'm looking for on sites like Amazon (which is where I ultimately want to order from due to Prime)

I apologize if this is a weird inquiry, but may anyone point me in the right direction?

Do mobo risers/standoffs come with the case or the motherboard itself ?

also forgot, standoffs are non conductive, so I can just screw them all in the case as many holes as I have and let them touch the mobo even if I can't screw in them through the mobo holes OR can I only put standoffs to the place where the motherboard has holes ?

What's the best 1070?

>I can't tell if they have a glossy screen or not
Are you retarded? Simply check the names on the manufacturers websites.
Anyways, see if you can find cheap, used BenQ GL24xx, Asus VH24xx.

Building a PC for 400-500 dollars.

FX-4300
Asus M5A78L-M ATX AM3+
Corsair DDR3-1333 2x4
WD Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM (probably going small w a 2.5")
GTX 1050 Ti
Fractal Design Core 1100
Corsair Builder 430W
Asus CD/DVD
Windows 10

It's for a 13 year old kid, gaming only, probably. 40 dollars over budget (540). Thinking about downgrading the GPU to something 50 bucks cheaper and turning the 4300 into a 6300 but I really have little idea of what's optimal here.

He says he'll upgrade in the future but I'm not sure if that's a feasible thing to build around at this price point.

Really, it just needs to run his games well enough for a few years.

Are there generally good sales after xmas for parts or am I fine pulling the trigger now?

If it's a gaming machine for the child don't get a hexacore, FX4300 is just fine.
pcpartpicker.com/list/dZFtLD
I recommend you invest 30 bucks more for the 212 EVO, the stock cooler is pure shit.

With how cheap off lease i5/i7 workstations are now building seems like a mistake

Thanks for the advice & list.

Is a switch from the 1050 Ti to the 460 of any consequence? That is, will he be less likely to manage some of the more contemporary games on medium+ settings?

Looks like the power supply on your list is better all around for the price than mine too.

I already convinced my friend to switch from 400 to 500 dollars, and I don't really want to ask him to go even higher for his son's first computer. Is going with a stock cooler going to ensure some overheating if the kid's presumably playing a lot of modded minecraft/CSGO/GTA on good settings?

Hello, would someone be willing to help me pick parts for a 700$ budget build?

what's the main purpose?
any size needs? small, dont care?
do you need more storage? ssd?
man i wanna help but you're making it really fuckin hard

Sorry, gaming/photoshop work, small/medium. i have storage already and 16gb of ddr3 ram

>modded minecraft/CSGO/GTA
No idea about modded games, shit like minecraft and LoL should run fine. CSGO should be fine unless the kid goeson some 64 player private death match server.
GTA V will be problematic. This game will be playable, but not very pleasant. After all 500 bucks is not much and you want to buy a Windows licence, that money could be invested into hardware.

Already started buying some parts for a modest gaming build. Mostly gonna be playing stuff like modded Skyrim. Also, I learned that the motherboard I got has limited plugs(?) for case fans so is there such a thing as a 3-way cable splitter for case fans?

pcpartpicker.com/list/dPqkHN

pcpartpicker.com/list/WdJ88K
great cpu, good gpu, you;ve already got ram and storage so there you go

thanks much user

switch that hdd for a hgst/hitachi
beyond that, how many fans are you looking to have? you shouldn't need anymore than 3, 4 at the absolute most
and they're called headers, just so you know man

Is the 2500k the best CPU you can get under $100?

just pull the trigger now man

for total platform cost yes, but for raw performance no
that would be the e5-2670, the only problem is that the cheapest motherboard is like 300 bucks.

Thanks friend, and the case I got comes with two fans. I was gonna take apart some of my dad's old desktops he keeps laying around and maybe use a fan from one of those, but obviously that's not really high on my priorities. I just wanted to know in case I decided I wanted another fan thrown in.

well, i guess to answer the question, yes they do make them. You cant just run infinite fans off of one header though, theres a limit depending on your mobo and all that. but or average fans and just 2 or 3 you should be fine
honestly I would just go with one or 2 intake (depending on your case) and then one exhaust at the back of the case, then the fan on your cpu cooler too (there will be a dedicated header for the cpu fan). Should be fine!

what should I install?

witnessed

Nothing. Look up the 'features' of that bloat later, you can still install it if you absolutely want to have it.

Will the 2500k bottleneck any modern GPU?

Is it worth it to go to an older platform for overclocking?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/L4Lrqk or ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2fbtLD

Already have a graphics card.

Maybe a little. While the year-on-year performance improvement of the intel chips hasn't been impressive, as old as your 2500k is, theres maybe somewhere between 25-35% improvement depending on the benchmark.

Though not many games are CPUbound these days.

Neither.

between the 5-10% improvements over the last 3 gens, combined with pci3.0, ddr4 & new instruction sets, there is a decent difference when comparing 2500k to something like a 6600k
My 1070 is probably only getting ~80% of the fps i could be getting with a newer i5/i7

youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk

pcpartpicker.com/list/q22RwV
should i try to squeeze a 1080? i dont even have a monitor using tv

That isn't really helpful. What would be a better idea?

youtube.com/watch?v=PfsCTejolj4

Mildly related to building but this guy just changed up the game.

On that note who here runs hackintosh shit? I'm currently running a nice build with the newest mac and its just dope.

This is Apple's only hope for the future - generalize their OS even if they only run on some specific combinations of gear.

I just swapped out my HDD with a brand new SSD. Cloned everything over using EaseUS. But when I slap the SSD in it's not recognized. Doesn't detect an OS, nothing. what the fuck did I do wrong? Shouldn't my OS be transferred now?

You could probably get by with only a single stick of 8GB RAM for a month or two until you can afford another. Do you already have SSD/HDD sorted out?

Check the boot order in your BIOS.

Go into the BIOS nigger. Check that the SSD is the primary boot drive.

no

>order SOC ITX mainboard
>order PSU
>order SSD
>order RAM
>oder case (pic related)

>mainboard, ram, ssd arrive on friday
>have to wait for monday to get my psu
>can't even test components without taking apart my main computer
>case wont be shipped until wednesday or thursday

at least i'll have a 100% silent htpc

how long can sata cables be? i want to hide my loud ass HDD somewhere in the corner of my room so i can't hear it.

don't clone HDD to SSD unless you want your ssd to die within 1-2 years. or at least dont be an idiot and turn TRIM on.
either way, this is what you get for even trying, cloning always fails, it's not a reliable method.

but i also draw

there is no reason to use more than 8gb anyways for the things you would do with an i5. and why would you use an ugly PCI wifi card with a window case? just get a usb one, or m.2.

That's a bad idea, hombre. You'll need an eSATA cable for that at the very least. There's not much holding the SATA plug in place so even bumping the PC will cause the other end of the drive to get knocked off. Plus, you need to power the hard drive somehow.

>how long can sata cables be?

1 meter.

shit, so my best bet is a NAS, right?
i just want complete silence.

If you want complete silence, build an SSD array. Buy the cheapest SSD for the capacity in multiples and run them in a JBOD with a back-up program to back up the entire array to a cheaper external hard drive.

But that would cost too much. Plus i'll never be able to make use of that speed. I'll just get a NAS and place it where my router is.

pcpartpicker.com/list/JqFtLD
Critique my gaming build please.

it's fine, but that HDD will not last a year.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Z8D26X
Cheaper build with non-meme mobo, non-cucked Samsung SSD and a HDD that isn't a refurb ripoff which will fail you after two weeks.

Thanks.

>cost too much
>building or buying a nas instead
whew lad

should a 1080 be used on 1 monitor or is it optimal to use 2+?

the SSD is literally the only drive plugged in.

This is the first I've heard of this. Can you elaborate?

pcpartpicker.com/list/FK8MM8

Allows for future upgrades with the 1151 socket, a decent psu to support future grapgics options, and a gpu to support 1080p gaming on high settings for almost any game. Plus the ricer case to appeal to his demographic.

For Windows 10, buy a key online. I've bought many home keys for cheap. As little as 20 bucks.

I'm running a 6600k and an Rx 480. PcPartpicker says my max power draw 356. I'm going to be super conservative and say that means I should get a 550w unit to account for power spikes and overclocking. I want a few key things:
>gold
>semi or fully modular
>all black cables for muh aesthetics (windowed case)

Is the EVGA GQ 650w ($71USD) my best affordable option? There's a couple Rosewill units on PCpartpicker, but I keep hearing that they don't make great units.

What does it mean when a GPU is "dual slot"

takes up 2 adjacent slots on your mobo

Help

The cheapest one that has two fans and isn't an evga acx3.0.

MSI or Zotac

i would say zotac amp because its not too pricey compared to other 1070 and has a higher core clock