Retro Thread

No retro thread? Haven't seen one in a couple days.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OKakermaQ68
njuskalo.hr/informatika-sve-ostalo/amiga-1200-cd-oglas-20715665
ebay.co.uk/itm/karta-sieciowa-WIFI-network-card-PCMCIA-AMIGA-600-1200-BRAND-NEW-BOX-version-/262753141495?hash=item3d2d4ec2f7:g:MtUAAOSwr7ZW5JEU
win2kgaming.prophpbb.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7
msfn.org/board/topic/149233-kernelex-for-win2000/
msfn.org/board/topic/120936-kdw-fcwin2k/
youtube.com/watch?v=rjDSY8LczFw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that's because these computers and threads are completely useless.

Just like your life

shut up pussy

These threads have given me a yearning for my old A1200 and surprisingly my old Acorn Electron.

this

Do you use the reel to reel? I still use mine all the time to record live music I make, it's really nice, the aesthetic can't be properly emulated with computers.

You could probably emulate your meme if you took it apart and put in a modern PC and set the emulator to go slow, dunno if the connector for the kb/mouse has a usb converter anywhere. I should go pay some youtube shit to try to tell the difference and then be unable to but it means I'd have to buy two of them.

Emulation isn't like the original - it's much, much, much better in every way.

I haven't used it yet, the plan is to master onto it from the 80's desk on the right.
>pic related
It's a much nicer way to work for sure, I'm really looking forward to getting them together.

Any tips?

>much, much, much better in every way
I get the feeling you haven't used both

c o m f y

holy fuck that is so comfy

looks like a travel lodge, not necessarily a bad thing but yeah.

I'm not talking about visual aesthetic. I'm talking about listening to an actual tape versus and the process that entails versus a digital recording of one or, worse, a software emulation on an audio recording using sine wave modulation to fake tape imperfections and filtered noise to give the impression of tape hiss.

For you it may be a meme but I've been using mine for 15 years.

>master onto it

What outboard will you be using? are you passing a lot of stuff through the desk? what model of desk is it?

the desk is a Rebis Omega, went out of production in the early 80's, they sold all their eq designs and wotnot and became Klark Technik.

As far as outboard goes, all analogue dynamics, as good as I can afford, hopefully API/SSL stuff.
Early digi reverbs for the moment, untill I can build some spring/plate monsters, but that's a dream at this point.

If you've only used one, it will sure sound better than everything else. The reason why the entire industry and all professionals moved on to digital is because they realized things like "tape hiss" is a bad thing. Now we have this hipster contrarian movement which dictates you must be different and pretend to use 40 year old hardware to "make music" and you see people throwing down a grand for this stupid shit and saying they retroactively were using nothing else the entire time. What are you making? nothing. you replace this by t y p i n g o u t w o r d s l i k e t h i s to pretend to fit in online with other contrarians that you hate and they hate you.

Philistine
Use both
Don't be a twat

just my 2 cents

And also, the reason the entire industry moved over to digital is because it's quicker and therefore makes more money btw.

Looking forward to a new dark side of the moon or Led zep album with the 'churn it out' mentality,
I despair, I really do.

2017 predictions, kek will confirm:

-Lenovo will release their retro Thinkpad
-MS will release "Retro Mode" making W10 look like Win 95
-Retrocomputing will become cool to the normie hipster graphic designer types. This will be a natural evolution of the vaporwave aesthetic
-Google, MS, Apple and others will begin to move their Design Language away from this post-modern skeuomorphic whatever back towards mid-90s era functionalism.
-The retro Thinkpad will kickstart a trend of moving away from island-style keyboards with all major manufacturers.
-America will become Great Again.

there's a lot of projection in this post. Like I said I use the tape to record live stuff, it's quick, easy, I skip having to turn the computer on at all. It means I work in a different way than when I'm recording in to a multitrack DAW, no post-production, no chance to go back and rework things, an entirely different mindset. It's refreshing and makes a great change of pace of obsessing over minute details in large recordings, espcially if I'm just working on single piano pieces or similar.

I'm not sure what half of your post is about to be honest. Of course digital has its rightful place, that's why i'd never release any of my tape stuff and why I'd never use it for a professional production.

1. there's just not enough market demand outside of Sup Forums neckbeards. the normies will stick to their macbooks and businesses are content with the current thinkpads
2. I can kinda see them doing that as an april fool's joke.
3. definitely. it's already starting too. I recently found some kid's youtube channel with memesthetics slathered all over it, and has a video about a "Windows 98 gaming PC" aka a silver-case HP Pentium4 piece of shit. start stocking up on OEM pentium machines to sell at inflated prices to hipsters next year.
4. nope. flat design is here to stay till the end of the decade I'm sure.
5. never gonna happen. every manufacturer is too obsessed with aping apple and making everything thinner now.

ah man i miss computers like this. Clean case design Just works. None of that flashy light, alien borg theme cases that seem to be all the rage now.Haven't seen a creative breakout box in a long long time, nor a real internal floppy drive either. Most the usb floppy drives are cheap junk that will break in no time not to mention fuck up a perfectly good floppy disk.

I love that tower.

>teddy bear
PhilsComputerLab?

retro-aesthetics are already normie as fuck, they always have been, just because it's rolled around to fetishising something you have a tangential relationship with does not mean it will spill over in to influencing something as widespread as phone UI design.

This is just something young people do and as such you don't really see these trends outside of music and fashion because that's what they influence because that's what they buy.

When the early 80s were being reworked in music at the turn of the century Sony didn't suddenly start releasing betamax inspired DVD players to cash in, for example.

>-Lenovo will release their retro Thinkpad
please Lord

Vertical turntable looks cool.

The only thing missing in that tower is a zip drive

youtube.com/watch?v=OKakermaQ68

Salvaged this thing. Comes with Windows 95. How to "clean" current install since I have no recovery disc or drivers..?

do a linux install, first figure out what Linux distro will be compatible with that old of a laptop, what is it a x486? maybe an older version of slackware will do it Slackware-13.37 is x486 and is still getting updates so it will run on that

Literally my computer setup from high school, posters and all. Except my tower wasn't as huge.

Also, that feel when you never got to experience the glory of retro Japanese computers.

How about retro web?

Just discovered neocities, and I'm having a blast. It's like jumping into the wayback machine, but with new stuff.

retro computer hobby is cute but stupid

you dont want to relive those years
nothing worked right, nothing was compatible with anything else, everything was super overpriced and unreliable

I dropped like $600 on a SCSI scanner once, paid another $200 for the interface card, then spent the next 6 weeks trying to get the fucking thing to work before I finally gave up and it gathered dust in the garage for 5 years

>SCSI

Found your problem

>PMMX 233
>64MB EDO
>Matrix Mystique paired with Voodoo 2 8MB
>AWE64 Value

On a Gateway 2000 my family had in the early 90s, I have a distinct memory of a case badge boasting about the 32-bit processor.

I haven't mean able to find anything in GIS. Am I imagining things?

>you dont want to relive those years

But the designs of the hardware were so cool!

What has this to do with retro computer hobby?
They don't cost anything and if you're stupid you won't' get anything to work anyways.

Never had problems with SCSI scanners.

>Emulation isn't like the original - it's much, much, much better in every way.
Emulation, by definition, is still emulation.

why did you delete your first post

Maybe it's a magic picture, that everything else stays the same but the person ages.

Not my post.
I didn't even see that post when I opened the thread 10min ago.

>back then hardware was simple and sophisticated and software were crazy eyecandy
>now hardware is crazy eyecandy and software is simple and sophisticated
I don't see the problem

There will be no retro WMs for wayland

Sound is analog, no matter if you like it or not, you still have a DAC, with a reel you just have a amp. You can't differentiate between digital and high quality reel anyways, sorry.

>simple and sophisticated
wut

Literally read the sticker on the laptop, it says it is a pentium...

>There will be no retro WMs for wayland
I'm pretty sure they will port all of the over, can't you already run every X VM fine on Wayland?

Loonix fags are blind

#REKT

> Insert supplied floppy for SCSI interface
> C:\>A:
> A:\>install

or in Windows 95

> Insert supplied floppy for SCSI interface
> Control Panel
> Add/Remove Hardware
> No new hardware detected
> Device manager
> Double click
> Update driver
> A:
> Driver is installed

Then you'd have to install the Twain driver supplied by your scanner. Were SCSI scanners any faster than LPT ones??

If you're too dumb to make the parts work together you can't blame the hardware.

What kind of moron spends $800 on a setup they don't even know how to configure?

Yes, we must not let those normie hipster graphic designer types infiltrate our retro circles, because we're sooo different from them. We're like, the real hipster pioneers, or something. We were 80s normies hipster types in the 10s first, so you had best back the fuck down.

You posers are your own biggest enemy by far, I honestly think you take "do other people do this" into each and every step you take. This is what happens when you tell everyone they're special and they have no outlet for it.

One of my favorite things about hipsters is what I call the "exploding hipster complex". Due to the internet, you can indeed find someone else who's pretending to be into your stupid shit too. When you find 1-5 people it's nothing but circlejerk city, the moment it hits 20 or even sometimes 10 it's "oh no I'm SUPER stupid and still different from this group in an even more retarded way!". This is literally all IRC was, channels getting too big and they would explode and everyone would stick to their gay little 5 man circlejerks and idle and never communicate.

Only a single Voodoo 2? Up your game man!

Perfect little Pentium build!

stop replying to your own post

Not my post faggot, butthurt much? I'm

Shit's expensive.
I'm actually getting two Voodoo2 12MBs as part of a trade in a few days. They will be going in my Pentium III build though.
A Pentium MMX bottlenecks even a single V2 actually. I would be using the original Voodoo Graphics card on this machine as it's more period correct, but again, expensive.

njuskalo.hr/informatika-sve-ostalo/amiga-1200-cd-oglas-20715665

Is this thing worth buying and restoring? What would I need to do?

So far I know I'd need to buy a new case, desolder the CD drive shit, and replace the HDD with a CF card. Possibly upgrade the Kickstart roms too.

Is it worth it? Also which accelerators should I get

>A Pentium MMX bottlenecks even a single V2 actually. I would be using the original Voodoo Graphics card on this machine as it's more period correct, but again, expensive.
Good thing about the Voodoo 2 is it's 100% compatible with the original Voodoo, the way it does SLI won't bottleneck it much more, if the cards are on separate PCI buses.
Still a huge boost in performance even on such a system.

Keep this thread alive for a little while. I've got some new cells arriving in a couple days to rebuild another old laptop battery.

On a partially related note, any reason why a PCMCIA slot would detect some modem and storage cards, but not, say, a wireless network card? It's Windows XP.

yeah i'll keep it alive. need to get off my ass and post some pics of my old computers like i promised a couple threads ago.

>On a partially related note, any reason why a PCMCIA slot would detect some modem and storage cards, but not, say, a wireless network card? It's Windows XP.
Well, depends on the card I guess, some are 16-bit and some are 32-bit, also if the slot only supports 5V or 3.3V also.

I've got an old IBM 5155 with all the discs and manuals with the carrying case and everything. Anyone have an idea of its value?

invaluable

Shoot, valid points. Some moderate Googling is not making it easy to find out what I can support.

Linksys WPC54G v3.1 in a Gateway Solo 2100 magically running XP, if anyone cares to join in the hunt.

>What's the matter with the OS I'm running?
>"Can't you tell that it's out of date?"
>Should I get a set of Voodoo2 SLIs?
>"Are you gonna run those 3D benchmarks?
>Nowadays you can't be too sentimental
>Your best bet's a true baby cool Pentium-II."
>Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk
>It's still ret-ro to me

I'm pretty sure you need a 16-bit card.

Looking at the back of the Linksys card, it seems it's a 32-bit card.

I know that all Amiga cards are 16-bit and 5V/3.3V
ebay.co.uk/itm/karta-sieciowa-WIFI-network-card-PCMCIA-AMIGA-600-1200-BRAND-NEW-BOX-version-/262753141495?hash=item3d2d4ec2f7:g:MtUAAOSwr7ZW5JEU

Overkill, love it!

Can i have that wallpaper again? I lost it when i forgot to copy it over from my x61t before reinstalling GNU/Linux.

I remember somebody once posted how to run modern applications on Windows 2000(?) with the help of an OS patch. Does anybody know anything about this?

here you go my good sir

Plan B: ThinkPad X62 mod.

That seems to agree with all of the cards that are recognized versus the ones that aren't. Some mighty fine information. Well shit, guess I need to find that damn ethernet adapter to make the other cards get a connection.

Where can I buy the mod?

>buying mods
You mod them yourself dip

reddit

Man, those where the times

>system.jpg
>Amiga1000.jpg*
FTFY

Whats the big empty slot in MIDI under the floppy drive?

Something like KernelEx but for Windows 2000?

win2kgaming.prophpbb.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7

msfn.org/board/topic/149233-kernelex-for-win2000/

msfn.org/board/topic/120936-kdw-fcwin2k/

>you dont want to relive those years
>nothing worked right,
>nothing was compatible with anything else,
>everything was super overpriced and unreliable
t. Windows 95 User

>I dropped like $600 on a SCSI scanner once,
>paid another $200 for the interface card,
>then spent the next 6 weeks trying to get the fucking thing to work
holy fuck CONFIRMED

I once got a scanner for my Macintosh. I plugged it in. It worked.

our computer cases need to go back to desktop though. origenae or zalman hd160 type cases

Top fucking kek

DO IT

This made me laugh harder than it should have, so true tough.

youtube.com/watch?v=rjDSY8LczFw

yup, when i first took that picture that chick was a 21 year old hottie

bump

My SE still works perfectly, boots in 9.14 sec from it’s internal 15MB SCSI disk. The MBP, in contrast, takes 29.76 sec with 6 thousand times more RAM and a 256GB SSD. Of course the OS is much larger, but funny, that.

posted my comps too many times, have some old portable CRTs

>non-tripcode namefag

It's awesome yeah, the software on the SE was of course much more optimized and lighter, no TCP, etc.

This version at least. I'm fighting the temptation to get a PDS 10base adapter, 4MB RAM, and roll it up to 7.5 just to troll Sup Forums. This version of the OS is still pre multitasking.

No javascript for captchas, not even pass.

>MMX Pentium
Looks more like a 586 to me. He can still recompile available sources or use something like Slackware if he wants recent software, Linux hasn't yet dropped support for 586, and 686 binaries that most 32bit x86 distros offer won't work without segfaults.

Why the fuck would you want to use recent programs or recent Linux on it? Retarded much?

Actually, iCab 2.9.9 supports 7.5, 68k machines and has JS and CSS support. I may give it a whirl in Basilisk on my Mac Pro and see how it holds up before going through the effort.

Won't work, believe me