Best buck for bang DX12 GPU?

My Asus Radeon HD 7970 has been declining in performance and crashing/overheating with even the lightest loads for quite some time. Took the bait and bought it cheaply from eBay used and without warranty. Not happening again.

Now I'm thinking of switching to Nvidia and, with about $400 to spend, I'm trying to find the sweet spot, the best deal of price vs performance. I'll also consider Radeon cards if you'd recommend me one since I haven't regretted a purchase that Sup Forums recommended yet. My current front-runner is the GTX 1060 with 6 GB Vram. Should I?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5gm7g3/driver_37619_faqdiscussion_thread/
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-23.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Worst time to switch to nvidia

they are just about to get rekt by the 490

Just get a 480 8gb and wait

Made a spreadsheet with various local shops and prices in euros

Rx 480 is 6% faster than the 1060 in Dx12, and only 2% behind in Dx11 and it's cheaper on average if you're in the states.

It's just a better choice all around than the 1060.

forgot to link spreadsheet though

trying to find the sweet spot, I'll have a look at the 480 as well - do you recommend a specific brand or version?

>WORST TIME TO EVER BUY NVIDIA AMD WILL SHOW YOU
says every amdrone since the 6k series

the 480 rekt's the 1060

Powercolor and Sapphire

I'm not trusting some Sup Forumstard who types like that.

The 1060 is still better. Overclocks better, and uses less power/puts out less heat.

>It will age like shit
>3gb verison is hilariously bad what is this 2012?
>Nvidia sabotaging its older cards, when the GTX 1160 comes out the 1060s performance will start to decline.
Call me a Sup Forumstard if you want but nvidia is a fucking horrid company

XFX GTR

Not since the GTR stepped in and GloFo unfucked their fabs for the millionth time.

How are the AMD drivers vs the Nvidia drivers at the moment?

The new cards are just around the corner. Just wait.

which new cards specifically?

nearly identical with similar problems. head over to nvidia subreddit and you'll see post after post of people asking if these drivers work and don't cause bsods.

reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5gm7g3/driver_37619_faqdiscussion_thread/

no, no, no, and no.

and i'm a 1080 user and can admit the 480 is a better card.

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html

Thanks, I'll take this into consideration

wait till the 13th, should have more info on zen then, possibly vega, and decided a long term plan after.

Personally, my money would be on an 480 8gb xfx gtr black right now, but I just came into enough money to make a high end gpu purchase if the price/preformance is right

Sure.. I don't have enough money for it anyway right now. I'm waiting for Christmas to collect some money in order to get it

roll

rx 480

1060 tho

I've been AMD all my life, loved my 290

But just switched to 1070 this black Friday so I could get in on 1440p. You're saying the one time I give into no Vidya and they get shat on finally?

just remember, right now
xfx gtr 8gb 480 is the highest binned 480 available outside of silicon lottery, this will likely serve you better and longer then the 1060 will.

for $400 you're getting a 1070
480 vs 1060 aside there's no comparison to a 1070 if you're ready to drop $400 on a gpu
1080 is not much faster than a 1070, not for $250 extra for sure

With $400, you can get a low-end or open box GTX 1070 for cheap.

The RX 480 is also not a bad buy if you're on a budget, but frankly I can't trust them for all the many times they're screwed me over with hollow promises and shitty support.

I only ever use AMD on budget builds that are not my main computer. We'll see about fucking Zen, but right now Intel and nVidia set the bar.

It really is the worst time even nvidia is going to drop their Ti cards soon. Seems like you don't know and thing about the gpu marked but you're posting.

I went with the 1070 the day it came out. Bad idea for the pricing, but good idea for performance. Can't go wrong with the 1060. No way.

we can go into who is worse all we want and we can bring up facts to support both sides,

pretty much since the 5000 series, amd has had great support, not always day and date with a game launch but also never seen it as much of an issue and for the past year, they have been getting 'game ready' drivers out, whereas nvidia has been telling their counters to uninstall their game ready drivers, multiple times.

Personally I would not go a 1070 for one reason, Its not powerfull enough.

on one end you have a 480 that will push 1080 and 1440p to 144 if you reduce some settings at 1440, but not push 4k passed 30, and you have a 1070 which wont do 4k passed 60

Id get the lower end 480 and hold out 1 or 2 generations, and if you target 1080/60 then it will have your back the whole way.

next gen, navi/volta will be the one where upper mid range should be powerful enough to 60 4k.

Oh yeah the $1200 card is getting rebranded as a $800 card next year, I totally forgot that's gonna completely shake the ground beneath the $200 gpu market

you have to specify 6gb, as nvidia cuts the 3gb version down a bit, they are effectively different cards and a 480 clearly wins over a 3gb 1060, and if you waited this long to buy a gpu, a 480 is about equal to a 1060 even in dx11, and drivers will only get better from here on out.

AMD ReLive is faster than Shadowplay
480 better bang for the buck all around.

Yep.

a fury, fury nano, and fury x.

the fury is now permanently sub 300$ and the nano went down to 250$ over black friday.

>1440p 144hz
That's what you need a 1070 (or even a 1080) for, an RX480 trying to run new games at that setting would embrarass the whole brand
At least a bring up a R9 fury if you're even thinking of comparing AMD to a 1070
Only a Titan XP can do maxed 4K games, and both 1070 and 1080 can do 1440p/high-fps, which makes the 1070 a better choice than a 1080 for sure
But not a 480 nor a 1060 will come anywhere close to high level 1440p performance (or even some 1080p 144hz new games), which makes the 1070 a good option
If he's ready to drop $400 on a gpu, I think he'd appreciate the advantage of a 1070 over a 480/1060

Nice way to dodge the point. I'm very versed in how people like you try to get around an argument. Fact is both companies are about to drop cards branded or not now is not a good time to buy one.

the question is this, is nvidia afraid of what amd is going to do with vega or not?

you got the 980ti at 650 because nvidia wanted to head off the fury because of its on paper specs, but if they aren't, they have between 700-1100$ to launch the 1080ti at.

Yeah but something that needs a watercooler to run stock something you'd want in a high-end modern card?
I like the fury personally, but still the point is he shouldn't be looking at the 1060/480 with that kind of money to throw around

Fury X is the only card you listed that comes close to a 1070, and even then it's got absurd power consumption

little brother has a 290x and decides to max every game out regardless of if it hits 144 or not and gets 100-110 in almost every game, but he also turns aa on to a stupid degree too.

I find in most games, if there are 5 settings for quality with 1 being lowest and 5 being highest, turning everything but textures from 5 to 4 dramatically increases the games speed but barely impact acts how the game looks.

looking at it this way, its hard to justify for me getting a 1070 to max everything in games when max doesn't look better, only preforms worse.

it didn't need watercooling, they just wanted to make the card as small as possible. the loop they put on it was good for 500tdp, the card itself was only 250, the fury non x is barely cut down and can run off air just fine.

nano is the exact same chip as a fury x, just so fucking binned that when you put 2 together for the furyx2 the total power draw is still less than a single fury x.

>power consumption
with Furys power consumption its still lower than the total price for the 1070 in 2 years

I guess if you're willing to turn settings down you shouldn't even be wanting to spend on a $400 gpu, but at 1440p my 1070 can do 1440p 144hz maxed on most games, 90+ fps on many others and with two games (forza and witcher) maxed my 1070 can only do 60 fps. Either way I needed a 1070 for 60fps max settings on at least two games so I feel like it was worth buying

Well any money savings from power consumption is a fucking meme, this has been beat to death many times, I'm just pointing it out to people who may have fallen for the power consumption meme that the 1070 is a more "efficient" card

take a look at settings and compare them. there have been quite a few games recently where I literally can not tell the difference between medium and max outside of frame rate.

witcher is one of the game that I noticed that quite a few of the higher settings do not make the game look noticeably better, even in screenshots directly comparing settings, same spot, I could not tell the difference.

There's no fury nor 1070 in that pic

Many games don't make a difference but many do, I spent hours fucking with settings to see where I stopped noticing things, seemed different for each one
I saw witcher (much like doom) didn't seem to gain much fps from lower settings (but of course hairworks tanks the fps). Forza gains 30-40 fps from max to min, but the visual difference is small other than render distance and effect tricks like flare and bloom.
Something like beamng only has reflections as a fps-critical setting, and it does make the game much nicer looking at much higher performance cost
And for something like doom, I could see "nightmare quality" shadows looked great and sucked fps but many other settings didn't seem to change anything, visual or fps wise
I guess it just depends on what games you're needing the gpu for specifically

I agree with witcher 3, going to 1440p resolution made a much bigger difference than going to ultra quality settings. Hairworks also makes hair look worse.
But god damn witcher on low settings looks like a fucking pixar movie

>hairworks actually makes hair look worse
I knew gameworks was a meme but can you explain this? If it "tanks fps" it's gotta do something worth while right?

The pure hair and hair works shit doesn't look good in my opinion.
Takes a good 7% or so fps for something that looks bad.

>the 480 rekt's the 1060

1060 is more than 10% faster than the 480

RX 400 series is designed for DX12 and Vulkan use while NVIdia is still sticking to DX9-based design. So the more and more DX12 games get released the better RX480/490 will be over 1060/1070.

Nope. 2% faster on DX11 or older and 6 % slower in DX12/Vulkan.
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-23.html

Not on the latest set of drivers, the 480 is only 1-2% worse in DX11 games.
And like 10% better in dx12 games. I mean, if there were any dx12 games.

It looks physics-accurate, but hair literally look like spaghetti

>Nope. 2% faster on DX11 or older and 6 % slower in DX12/Vulkan.

lol no, the 'old' results that review is comparing to wasn't even using the same system or the same set of games.

if you compare a 1060 and 480 in a like for like scenario, the 1060 is 10% faster.