Pay $14,000 for 4-month bootcamp, can't get a job

Why are bootcamps trash?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Programming-Principles-Practice-Using-2nd/dp/0321992784/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481517036&sr=8-1&keywords=0321992784
mitpress.mit.edu/books/introduction-algorithms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They aren't trash. They're great for using what others are willing to provide and ultimately make good money in the end.

Oh, you meant for the users? Yeah they're shit.

because like many things there's an expectation that you'll contribute something to the experience as well, and you seemed to go into it expecting them to strap you into a chair and force feed you a job.

lol you idiot, that could have paid for a year or two of community college, after which you would have transferred to a uni

way to go retard

because they're not a degree and you learn trash.

>You learn a programming language not how to solve problems.
>You learn very shallow, basic concepts that don't help you at all when you face a major problem.
>Your understanding of a language is very limited because concepts, fundamentals and actual good programming practices are not touched on, or at least very lightly
>You have 4 months of very limited experience vs a degree which, at a good uni, forces you to apply your knowledge in some very dynamic and different ways. i.e. forcing critical thinking.

4 month bootcamps are the MBA memes of the tech world.

Boot camps are okay in a sense that they can make you learn basics of a framework.
I'm a computer engineer by major, but I work as a web code monkey.
At my job, first 3 months I was in an internal Boot camp learning asp.net, mssql transactions, entity framework, and angular. All that time I was being paid to do it. I see a boot camp that would accept a person without a clue for a price as a ripoff.
If you really have no experience and not even remotely relevant education, best place to start is QA with a desire to start working on automation. Not a bootcamp.

bootcamps can be useful if you already have a bachelors in a STEM field and need to learn another programming language. Unfortunately, it'll be boring as fuck and the bootcamp only needs to be like 5 days and not 4 months.

I studied pure math and computer science. what do bootcamps even teach you? I can't imagine how watered down it is. Most of the bootcamps around here focus on web development.

>asp.net, mssql transactions, entity framework, and angular
holy fuck, out of literally all web technologies that I would never touch with a 1 foot pole, these are fucking up there.

They teach you the syntax of whatever language they offer. Maybe some nuances of the language and a brief introduction into why programming is >le epic xD

Which one did you go to?
What was the experience like?

Idiot. Could have just bought a book on your preferred language and learned for free. If you're going to pay that amount of money then you should have gotten something the industry at least somewhat respects like a degree. Nobody in industry respects bootcamps.

amazon.com/Programming-Principles-Practice-Using-2nd/dp/0321992784/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481517036&sr=8-1&keywords=0321992784

Here's one if you want to learn c++.

some code camps help with networking. My sis did one and got projects in front of Uber etc. helps that it's a ~lady programmers~ camp tho.

>Frau am Steuer, Ungeheuer!

What is a boot camp in this context?

You pay something like $10k-20k for three-four months of intensive training in "coding" (usually web development like the latest JS framework, Ruby on Rails, etc.) The higher-end ones boast 90% job placement rates (within 3 months of the boot camp ending).
Examples:
App Academy
Flatiron School

tl;dr if you read the thread you'd know

>Das Boot camp

Trash? Bootcamps are great. You pay thousands of dollars for some basic coding education, reducing the wages of other programmers since they can claim 'competition' but not actually making you employable since you've literally just spent 4 months starting to learn something where it takes years to become useful.

How wholesome.

Real talk here, what were/are your expectations? Did you make any goals and if so, did you obtain or exceed them?

More specifically if your goal was employment, did you put together any projects and share them on github? Are you ABLE to do so?

They teach software engineering, doing work sample tests, so you will do shit that you will likely be doing while employed somewhere such as designing an API.

This means pair programming, poking libraries, test driven development, that shitty Continuous Integration meme, industry standards on how programs are designed ect. What you are doing is paying for somebody to mentor you, they expect you should be a junior developer already and the 4 mos course or however long is to turn you into an intermediate developer so you aren't fully green upon landing a position somewhere.

There is some networking too, where you can bypass the recruiter walls and get an entry level position somewhere as a Jr dev. I'd def recommend going to one of these camps but only if you later plan to also read MIT's Intro to Algorithms on the side, and SICP to get a semi capable bare minimum computer science exp mitpress.mit.edu/books/introduction-algorithms

do you sleep in a communal area?

I'm pretty sure boot camps don't offer housing.

so $15,000 for a few beginners tutorials worth of shit you can easily find on the internet?

I am studying computer science now in university and never came across any of that shit and it doesn't look like I even will. By the time I'm don't I will have 0 exposure to that.

What the fuck is the stuff you're talking about and is it worth learning? How do I get a job in this? Quick google searches show companies look for 5+ years of experience in the shit you just mentioned and I'll have 0

bootcamps are like paying someone ludicrous amounts of money to read you a trash "learn java in 3 weeks" book. just do your research and find an actually decent book on the topic. also make a github and contribute.

>I paid, therefore I'm intelligent.
Doesn't work like that pretty boy.

if you're a competent programmer learning whatever flavor of the month full stack thing is popular with all the startups right now isn't too hard. the big meme one right now is MEAN (mongodb, express, angular, node) and it's braindead simple. i've been flicking through a pdf of mean machine and working along in a couple of terminals and it's perfectly doable with my piss-poor 1.5 years of CS education. it's on library genesis if you're interested.

Why would anyone do this?
Sounds like a con.

Thanks I'll look into it. This explains why I've seen mongodb, angular and node as listed requirements for every single start up I looked at. I spoke to one of the engineers at a popular nearby startup everyone wants to work at around here and he doesn't seem to have a strong foundation in data structures and algorithms. It kind of pisses me off they follow fashion trends with weak foundations. But you gave me what I wanted to know so o can follow up on this shit thanks!

Because they target young professionals that hate their jobs and want to switch into programming because they hear it pays well. They sometimes have wife and kids, and don't have the time to quit their job long term and go back to school for a masters or PhD (usually no interest in this anyways) & want a quick route to success. They hear good things about boot camps and try them out.

From what I've seen there are decent boot camps out there but they usually require knowledge coming in and even those boot camps do not necessarily help with job placement. If I went that route I'd leave the boot camp off my resume and only list my projects.
Boot camps are usually associated with idiots.. I spoke to some recruiters and they told me terrible things about the graduates they interviewed.

yup, doing the same thing you're doing. just having background in "actual" programming though means you're basically overqualified for this kind of thing though. the major upside is that you're not going to be working with people who expect 5+ years of experience because the technologies haven't been around that long, and at least it's not php.

Okay great. This gives me hope. Any recommended tutorials?

Jesus Christ.

When will this Higher Education meme finally end?

>le everyone can code meme
this kind of failure is exactly what those initiatives deserve to spawn

Yes, but they probably provide certificates and shit

I honestly like this meme.
I love seeing ppl trying to achieve something copy-pasting code without even comprehending what and why they are doing it

I mortgaged my house to be able to afford a 20,000€ bootcamp and I can't even write a fizzbuzz without Googling for the solution :(

Is this true, user? Where did you go exactly?

definitely check out mean machine. basically runs you through setting up a basic MEAN app.

>Pay
You used a scholarship

k will do, thanks again!

>Bought book
>For free
Doesn't add up

Holy shit. That's like the cost of 1 year at a real college.

lol Another person that fell for it. Either go to college or get certs. A 4 month bootcamp isnt worth jack shit though.

>14k
>A year or two of community college
Lol
CC is like 40$/credit hour

In the civilized world 14k is enough for st year of undergrad all the way to PhD

You are expected to do networking and force your way to a job if you do those bootcamps. If you just cruise through, you get nothing.

Oh man, you should at least have used udacity, gotten the expensive 299€ subscription so that Google would have found you a job afterwards.

Don't worry OP, I have a bachelor's in CS from a well-regarded university, and I can't get a job because I didn't do an internship. Considering killing myself because I don't know how I can make it into the industry.

Web is literal cancer these days. Both consumption and "development".