Do you turn your computer off at night Sup Forums?

Do you turn your computer off at night Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no, i turn it off in the day when i sleep

Right before I turn on your mom.

With smart water

yes

Yes

lol why?

I usually put it in hibernation because I have things open. From time to time I do turn it off though.

no, it's usually running shit and the fans make a great white noise. I use Debian stable and it's been on since February no problem.

>I never turn my computer off, electricity is cheap and I appreciate the convenience/ white noise/ anime torrenting capability of a 24/7 setup
>AMD cards and their high TDP are never worth it due to your higher power bill

Pick only one, Sup Forums.

I pick top, but I'm still not buying Amd because of high tdp. I don't have enough cooling for that in my silent pc, and they'd also lower the time my ups battery lasts. No need to inflate my power bill for no reason either.

So I'm picking both basically.

depends
in the summer yes
otherwise it get to hot to sleep
in the winter no
it's the perfect space heater

>Letting hardware age quicker instead of buying a dedicated oil heater

no

I just turn it on in the morning. It's part of my morning ritual. And I don't torrent that much, and even when I do, whatever I'm torrenting usually finishes in less than 3 hours, so I almost never have to leave my computer on overnight.

Yes. I also got automatic sleep mode set after 30 minutes of inacticity. Don't really see any point keeping the computer on all the time, it'll boot to desktop in five seconds anyways.

Yes cause my power bill is high.

Also my 980ti is loud.

Wait, computers turn off?
Whenever my computer goes dark I just throw it away and get a new one

suspend to ram

>most HDDs die after recently being turned off and on
>most people die after recently seeing a doctor

leave your computer on forever and stay away from doctors and you're going to enjoy your anime collection forever!

No. Fuck the planet.

ha ha le computer space heater joke

No, power-on is breakage time. Electronics are better left on than being thermal cycled every day.

>no, it's usually running shit and the fans make a great white noise.
this.

Reasons I keep mine on:

1. My boot process takes a very long time (probably about 3-5 minutes, never really measured it)
2. I have lots of programs and tabs open; a clean boot would require me to re-open everything again, which is annoying
3. The fan noise is great at drowning out distractions, birds and other background noises while I sleep
4. I usually listen to something while falling asleep
5. It keeps my room warm (I have the heater turned off)
6. It's better for component longevity (voltage spikes and spin-up are the most damaging events)
7. I usually run shit I want to continue running overnight anyway (torrents, IRC, cronjobs etc.)
8. It preserves cache, which lets me get away with using a HDD for all of my data storage since most of it (except bulk) will be in cache any way.

I turn it off like 2 or 3 times a year

>muh white noise

Fucking tinnitus general, this is what you get for going to shitty concerts and clubs with your idiot friends that you're too beta to use earplugs around.

Yes. But will that change your nightly routines?

it's a server
so no

????

Yea, after Window's weekly update rape

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah. Just got a new laptop so I turn it off at night.
Still confused about if I should leave the charger in.
Currently I let it charge to full then unplug it. Isn't it harmful to let lithium ion batteries fully drain?

Do you have an AMD gpu? My 290x is basically a space heater it's great.
Also 2-3 minute boot time??? My computer in the early 2000's booted quicker.

The first part is true. Failure chance on spin up, spin down, head load and head unload is magnitudes higher than it is either during constant power on or power off.

i dont it turns me off

>Do you have an AMD gpu? My 290x is basically a space heater it's great.
No, nvidia GTX 970

No. It needs to run all the time.

You can leave the charger in, laptops are smart enough to not fuck up the battery when doing this. If you arent moving your laptop around much then you can unplug the battery and use it with just the charger. Just charge the battery to full at least every few months.

>3.5

Thanks for the answer. I was never really sure. I figured it must be smart enough to sense when full then shut off.
It's just my last laptops battery was so bad it couldn't go more than 15 minutes before the battery died. So I'm trying to be cautious and not wreck this one too quick.

>3.5
WHATA FUCK MAN xD i just fa.ll of my chair kuz i couldnt and i CANT stop laugh xDXDXDXDXD LOOOOOOOOLLLLL THIS IS A SHIT XDDDDD

10/10 subscribed, upvoted, (You)'d lmfao

first post best post
you know you do this
11/10
would read again
no green verbage

Do you turn off your vibrator at night?

the only time my computers turn off is when the power goes out

>he doesn't have a UPS
your lack of power level is leaking

Is this 1998 again?

do not be KEKS!

leavin it all at all times only helps to shorten components parts

ESPECIALLY gpu and oc'd cpu

in the 90's they were left on at all time coz downloads took days

also some of us have 120Watts cpus ;)

I've heard arguments for both. Personally I shut mine off when I sleep cause the fans are loud as shit and the lights are bright and annoying but since my internet is dogshit awful at 15dowd2up I usually have to leave it on overnight to download a larger game

yes it makes too much noise to sleep

No because my 380 gears the room and i like the fan noise

you get used to it very fast, and it actually helps drown out distracting noise

took me about 1-2 nights to adjust to my new server (which is obnoxiously loud by most standards)

*Heats the room

No, gotta farm dem BPs

Yes.

No I never turn it off, I like being able to jump on instantly.
My PC only ever restarts for Windows updates, hardware changes, or a power outage.

No and there is no reason to do that. There isn't even a reason to put it in sleep. Costs like $200 to run a computer using ~100W idle 24 hours a day for the entire year, and that's assuming you pay out the ass for energy at $0.25/kWh. If you pay $0.06/kWh like I do, it's $50 for the year.

I do, it's a habit now.

It depends. If I'm at home, nope.

>57959602
>His computer doesn't require a 1.5kW PSU

no it just goes into sleep mode after 20 mins

I was born with it though, along with most other people.

$200 a year is still pretty bad just to keep your computer on, though. It's not even getting used. If it was hosting services that you use frequently I could understand I guess, but even then, a VPS will be far cheaper.

>an extra $16 a month is bad

SAME

Yeah, because youre not doing anything with it. It's literally just a laziness tax that costs a dollar more than an Xbox live subscription. Just to put it in perspective. I wouldn't expect a NEET to understand the concept of not spending money on things that serve no purpose, though.

>NEET
Not an argument; post discarded.

Must've hit a nerve. Sorry about that.

Also not an argument. This website is for arguments. If you can't make one without resorting to fallacy, don't post.

>This website is for arguments.

And what single sliver of evidence leads you to believe that, my good friendo?

>T620 Server with disk shelf, UPS, and cap bank on disks.
Nope.

Im forced to turn if off because i share a room with gym rat chad older brother who doesnt respect my shit and turns it off himself when im asleep and ruining any unsaved progess i had.
Only reason why i now have an ssd

inb4 your shitty LED lightshow of a case is pointing right at his bed

Can you set it to hibernate when the power button is held or shut down from the OS?

no

17:35:25 up 300 days, 1:45, 4 users, load average: 0.13, 0.11, 0.09
No.

you need to be 18 or older to browse this site, please leave immediately

>plug in Wattmeter
>system is barely pulling 60W as I'm typing this (just the computer, not counting speakers or monitor or desk light as I would turn those off)
>still feel sort of guilty for leaving it on over night 'without a purpose' because it feels like a lazy slob thing to do
>SSD boot is 25 seconds including password entry

I disabled hibernation to get rid of that giant file on my OS SSD but you should have an extra option in this menu.

Its a prebuilt
Thanks ill look into that

Make me, grandpa.

Mine is either on or sleeping since hibernation stopped being viable when SSDs became a thing and >8GB of ram became common. Shutting down is fucking retard when you can just keep everything open all the time and you monitor takes more time to turn on than the PC to wake-up.

I want to do this (and sleep/standby) but for some reason my laptop BSOD's on waking.

That was before I fixed windows update on 7 and am now part of the botnet again so I guess can try...
I don't mind leaving it on 24/7 but it's one of those "eh why not" things since it's not a huge inconvenience.

When I'm downloading something, no.

> I usually put it on hibernation.

I come from the "when not in use, you turn things off." tradition so not just at nights. i unironically use windows 10 and it boots fast so it helps too.

it's usually in sleep mode when i'm not using it

>being able to sleep through the pc noise
dont tell me you got an office room for ur pc and a bedroom to sleep

>using your bedroom for anything other than sleeping/wardrobe
it's like you want to train your brain to stay alert all night

I've been shutting my pc down and flipping the switch on the power supply the last few days.

Not sure why but it keeps waking up randomly in the middle of the night.

>not keeping pc in the bedroom
>being rich
back to instagram faggot

marxist scum get out

I used to turn off my computer but I got humiliated

but I work at 3p

No, that's what sleep mode is for. Even when your fucking computer is idling it's probably taking up less energy than an incandescent light bulb.

>he doesn't put his computer to sleep
>instead he turns it off

>not having a UPS

just buy a laptop :^)

>Debate closing 30 programs and virtual machines
>Look at my dual power supply, dual quad core octo fan 12U tower sucking down 400W at idle running a minecraft server I haven't used in years and other pointless bullshit
>Forget about it and go to bed.

I use Boinc at night (volunteer computing power for scienctific applications)

boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

I also have severe horrifying tinnitus. makes the perfect white noise machine IMO.

I turn mine off when it dies. mine has been on since February because I got it then.

I don't have tinnitus at all, and I don't know why so many people ITT do or seem to associate white noise with tinnitus for some reason

I just like drowning out background noise

I hibernate it because i'm not a dipshit

shutdown -s -t 3600
Watching streams while falling asleep.