Find a better IDE. You LITERALLY can't. IntelliJ comes close but its still not as good as Visual Studio

Find a better IDE. You LITERALLY can't. IntelliJ comes close but its still not as good as Visual Studio.

>inb4 hurr hurr real programmerz need no ide

Other urls found in this thread:

pharo.org/
betanews.com/2016/06/10/microsoft-visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-telemetry/
jetbrains.com/rider/download/
yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/10/1350245/visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-secretly-inserts-telemetry-code-into-binaries
netbeans.org/community/apache-incubator.html
web.archive.org/web/20161018032646/http://www.ihateeclipse.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

But JetBrains do make better IDEs.

2008 was last good visual studio

>Pajeet can't make a designated hello_world w/o 16Gb bloatware IDE

Also presenting shittiest IDE.

>t. never took part in a bigger project where advanced IDE shine

I get VS is great when you have 100 currynigers writing shitty code at the same time and by the end of the day it has to somehow work.

>65 GB install size with a botnet compiler
65 GB install size with a botnet compiler

Is this bait? I can't tell. I thought atom was bad enough at 250mb.

>willing to use inferior tools because they cant afford gigabytes which are dirt cheap nowadays
and besides C# only installation is like 5 gigs tops.

>Implying VS doesn't crash every 10 minutes
You never used that shit did you, OP?

Probably an undergrad sperging out. Abandon thread

Can we all agree that eclipse is the gimp of IDE's?

>people who get mad at IDEs that finish what you're writing and generally make your life easier
>people who think anything more than glorified notepad is bad
>as if remembering every function in your head or writing everything yourself is relevant to being a good programmer
>rather than being able to come up with efficient and solid solutions

yes if you mean that its free garbage, im honestly frustrated with gimp and all its bugs. i hope they release the new version soon (new UI).

The ones form JetBrains don't turn 65GB of your hard drive to designated shitting space.

What's that 65GB meme ?

pharo.org/

It's what you get if you install fucking everything, including every mobile toolchain. A normal installation is 1/5 the size.

VS is the only reason why I'm not a full time GNU + Linux user.

Code in that IDE then, if it's so great

But you probably don't and you're just shitposting to get a bunch of (You)s for your (You) fund in which case flippity floo

Maybe if you're using a macbook from 2002, poor

>65GB

The fuck packages are you installing

>Find a better IDE. You LITERALLY can't.
hahaha... nigga pls.

people cant find legit reasons to shit on VS so they complain about installation size with everything included (literally nobody does it).

looks interesting

works fine on my machine ;)

>Trusting M$
betanews.com/2016/06/10/microsoft-visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-telemetry/
>Inserting telemetry into compiled binaries

>Trust us, it was benign and not documenting it was just oversight, you can take some extra steps to remove it, we (they) will remove it (now that we've been caught)

Didn't Apple just buy CodeWarrior?

CodeWarrior was pretty neat back in 2001 or so. It had a drop-down in the titlebar of the current document where you could jump to any function in the current file. That was pretty innovative.

But then Whole Tomato came along and added some fucking badass functionality on top of VS, then VS incorporated some of that.

VS 2010 was an abomination, but it's been getting steadily better since. However, I find it appalling that in 2016 code profiling *still* isn't a well-integrated part of Visual Studio. Fuckin' A, I used to play for days in Turbo Pascal's excellent integrated profiler.

13 GB is still bigger than most Linux distros

>Didn't Apple just buy CodeWarrior?
No... Xocde was their own thing. It came from NeXT. Apple didn't want their dev toolchain to be owned by someone else so they built their own. Motorola, which owned CW, was very slow in adding features that Apple wanted to Apple was furious and they decided to make their own.

So? Every normie already has 500gb hard disk at LEAST

>people cant find legit reasons to shit on VS so they complain about installation size with everything included (literally nobody does it).
See

So you think it would be okay if Word appended 20MB of random data to every document you create? After all, everyone has enough disk space that it wouldn't be a problem.

jetbrains.com/rider/download/

We weren't talking about what you create with it, we were talking about the application itself.

Okay, so you'd be okay with that much junk data encoded into Word.exe itself?

dont be a retard, there is a difference between files which can come in a huge quantity and a one time installation.

They also need 3 times the ram

>Visual Studio.

Literally can't disable their shitty half-assed git integration that corrupts shit and re-enables itself to be "helpful".

Fuck Microsoft.

I had to physically disable the dll by renaming it so it can't find it.

Pic related literally the only good IDE.

(But KDevelop ain't that bad either, honestly. Also they've really trimmed down the install size on the newest VS.)

>VS6
Borland's IDEs were better.

>40GB installation
>NuGet
>dependencies
>tons of services you don't need are ticked by default
>crawls to a halt if your machine doesn't have 16 GB memory and two HDDs or HDD/SSD

Pajeet shilling for those sweet rupees.

code completion isn't exclusive to IDEs

>press /
>type "emacs"
>no results
Sad!

I used code blocks for a course I took last year in my undergrad C course. I liked it, good plug in support.

I'm not a programmer or anything but seems like a lot of people are shit posting and couldn't tell you the difference.

Using a ide is like learning English just enough that a spell checker can figure out what you meant. Lazy ass little shits.

anyone use vim? i'm thinking about learning it to use as my editor.

Am I the only VS Code user here?

I like the vim-gtk.

> Electron
D R O P P E D

>using the lisp jew
nein

It's my go to, especially for C#.

Is this real?

yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/10/1350245/visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-secretly-inserts-telemetry-code-into-binaries

Visual Studio is heavy as fuck for an IDE. It's like installing AutoCAD to look at pictures of cars.

>crashes a lot
>builds fail due to zombie processes frequently
>uses a horrendous mount of RAM
>required you to fuck around with menus to change build settings, instead of just adding a flag to CFLAGS
>interacts with git horribly, unless you have some git integration plugin, which is not possible in some cases
>huge install size
>on Windows, you get to choose between MSVC (all around terrible) and ICC (see Agner Fog's comments on the 'cripple AMD' function)

Is there any alternative for C#, apart from Monodevelop? Using C#'s build system directly is a nighmare

Visual Studio used to be pretty lightweight until VS 2010. When VS 2012 came, it was the horribly bloated mess everyone hates nowadays. Every new build is plagued by the same issues.
You also forgot:
>installs a bunch of services that are enabled by default and you'll probably never use
>installations can take hours
>fixes take just as much

It doesn't use the GCC compiler

Nope, the whole fucking thing is 65 GB and you can't install it on anything other than the same drive your windows instalation is on. I had to fucking uninstall this monstrosity because of it. VS used to be bretty good but the installation size the past few years just killed it for me.

And?

holy fukkkkk

see
Yeah, because I totally want Microsoft having access to all my data and that of everyone who uses stuff I make

>it's the best but it uses a lot of disk space so I hate it

I actually followed the link and read it. Turns out Sup Forums was overreacting like always.

vim has more features.

There exist some plugins for GCC, but I'm not sure there's one for Windows.

GCC is the best compiler. Clang is also good, but it does a worse job at optimizing, although it does a better job at providing diagnostics. GCC does a much better job at auto-vectorization and some other difficult optimizations.

ICC is also good, but it's closed source.

I'm not aware of any other good x86 compilers.

Stop. You can literally choose modules to install. My install was 4gb

Isn't VS2015 the best IDE for 3D game development?

Maybe if you only install the C/C++ part. I think the default install for C# is 7 or 9GB.
And if you install VS 2012/2015 just to code in C, you deserve to be shot.

Someone stop this madman!

What's the best Java IDE? Eclipse?

the shittiest ide ever is dev-c++

codeblocks is actually great for learning

For something coded in Object Pascal (Delphi), it's surprisingly fast and useful. I think someone got the sources and is developing his own fork since 2014.

also:
>that annoying as fuck login/licence check bullshit fro 2013 onwards

mvsc++ is fucking broken also.
M$ should drop C++ support.

I installed 2015 just to code in C++

but I'm paid to do so

That seems to be the norm nowadays. AutoCAD and Office also have it. Even if you get the Student Edition of Office 365, it still creates a service to authenticate you.

I think the first program I remember having something of the sort was Macromedia Flash.

remember back in the Windows XP days, when everyone wondered why anyone would go to Linux, apart from being a programmer.

Nowadays, licensing has gotten to be such a pain in the ass that you might as well pirate or use free tools.

That's an interesting comment style.

I use Dev-C++ as my main IDE. It's a lot faster to start up than Code::Blocks, at least on my machine, and provides plenty of useful features (syntax highlighting, tooltips for function call completion, the ability to view system headers by right-clicking an include directive) without being a major burden on the system.

>tfw using vs2015 at work

It literally codes itself.

haha great thread i literally just installed
VS like 4 times today
I have learned they follow the "literally never update motto"

>have express installed
>install community edition
>ok for awhile
>uninstall express
>all my projects break
>uninstall CE
>install CE again
>download VC++ plugins
>still can open old projects
>uninstall CE
>install CE VC++(?) from some rando page on msdn
>old projects migrate
>somethings still don't work

god this. where does it end. I'm at the point where I literally just write utils in masm so I don't have to deal with this shit. Also, googling for any help is
>do the needful C# WPF thank you pls respond.

>Find a better IDE
To be honest, most IDEs I've used, Visual Studio included, have been a pain in the ass. Visual Studio is less of a pain in the ass for a few things, but that doesn't make it "good".

I do not think there is a better development environment than a good, full-featured text editor, and a terminal emulator.

hurr durr you really don't need an IDE pajeet.

How is it overreacting?

>other good x86 compilers.
msvc ...:^)

How do people feel about Eclipse?

Avoid Eclipse (former Eclipse plugin dev here). NetBeans is usable and free, and maybe Oracle will release it from its uggly hands now.
IntelliJ is also nice.

It is a software manifastation of cancer.
> File changed. Autodetects it. Tells you to press f5 to reload in a modal popup
similiar to git push experience with branch not present on remote. UX fail, unixtard crap.

> plugin install manager does plugin download and filtering on UI thread

> cannot set editor font size simply with ctrl-+ or ctrl-mouse wheel

> internal APIs are pre java 5 ancient crap. writing a plugin is so painful no wonder only pajeets do it.

I was forced to write eclipse pugins, but after a week I quit the job.

>maybe Oracle will release it from its uggly hands now
netbeans.org/community/apache-incubator.html

People don't care anymore. Even the eclipse hate blog is down now:
web.archive.org/web/20161018032646/http://www.ihateeclipse.com/

Yeah, if only it could refactor at least as well as NetBeans can. Otherwise it is usable, has its quirks though.
> inb4 hurrburr just use ReSharper: why waste even more space to make the IDE slow and unstable, and fuck up standard keybindings?

but to a java fuckfest

>Eclipse
>KDevelop
>Vim/Emacs/Joe/etc
>VS6

you have so many other options

2008 was the last shitty VS

this feature can be reproduced easily
you can even set this shit up with sublime text for all i care

>2016
>worries about 65gb of storage

>ifunny.co

IntelliJ feels the same as OpenOffice in comparison with MS Office: it's a 1:1 visual clone of it, but totally misses the point of half the features, making it mostly akward to use.

Yeah i have similar feelings with IntelliJ. It feels okay but still is not as comfortable as VS. It just lacks something.

We're talking about IDEs. Not OS's.