Why do the techologically inept like macbooks? are they really that user friendly?

why do the techologically inept like macbooks? are they really that user friendly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L3RRBbnDOfs
geekwire.com/2016/mac-overtakes-linux-as-developers-primary-os-windows-headed-below-50-market-share/
articles.latimes.com/1998/may/11/business/fi-48540
macworld.com/article/1133334/original_imac.html
github.com/koekeishiya/kwm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=L3RRBbnDOfs

Because they like to suck dick or be penetrated by dick. They are not necessarily user friendly, the battery is shit and you need all these dongles.

It's mostly to advertise the preference for penis.

Status symbols.

These threads really bring the 12 year olds out of the woodwork

She's only 13 you sick fuck. Go turn yourself in.

It jus werks

Only poor people buy windows laptops.
What are you, poor?

because it just werks and isnt wangblows

Sup Forums pedos pls go

>spending more for a laptop than you need to

you're proud of this?

She was born in 2000

Beautiful file system

I'm just explaining their mentality.
These are people who don't use a computer for anything but facebook/tumblr and probably think facebook IS the internet.
They don't care, they just want to upload selfies and talk to their friends.

would fug

she's ready for the BBC

This is not reddit, normiefag.

They fell for the marketing.

Yeah, I love the fact that files from one folder don't merge with another folder when it's moved.

Because they are better quality than any of the shitty $300 laptops they've tried before.
And buying a decent Windows laptop never occurred to them.

Nobody ever got likes for getting a Dell.

because they look really nice

they look so thin that i would be afraid to bend it

This, I'd pay for her new MacBook if she made a video of her fucking a superior and virile BBC

when would your laptop ever be in a situation that it would get bent? Are you putting it in your cargo shorts pockets or something? Like a phone I get, but a laptop?

i have a business laptop that i have accidentally stepped on. if it had been a macbook i probably would have bent it

Found the German

The misconception that since its apple it will be "fast"

She's the same age as the OP then.

Yes, they are.

geekwire.com/2016/mac-overtakes-linux-as-developers-primary-os-windows-headed-below-50-market-share/

Step outside you autists.

>Implying the BBC has hot jailbait reporters.

fags detected.

What if i told you that just because someone doesn't want to waste their time memorizing hundreds of commands doesn't make them technologically inept but actually smart.

Everything you see linuxfags trying to achieve is to have an OS as stable and visual pleasing as MacOS/Aqua.

If you have never actually owned or used a Mac you are missing out. Granted theya rent as customisable as other OS's but once you grow up a bit you will generally stop caring about icon packs and getting the right gradient in your taskbar and shit.

Just. Works.

Also, the trackpad and keyboard shortcuts are awesomely productive.

I think you mean the BYC.

She's already been chinked.

I think you mean the SYC

Popularity and sales don't equate to quality, fuckface.

>there are people caring about richfag buying decisions

Programmer, professional tutor and ex-IT Pro reporting in.

Just got my first apple device ever about 3 days ago. macbook air, 4gb ram, 128gb SSD, dual core i5.

Yes. They're actually really in-depth. The keybinds are far more flexible than windows and more powerful out of the box. Comparable to a fully riced arch with all of the bugs and breaks removed.

I didn't pay for the Macbook. And until the last 2 days, precisely one day after owning this seemingly super low powered macbook, I have never considered spending a dollar on such a morally corrupt jew company like apple.

But I can't lie. I'm thinking of purchasing a Macbook Pro. I can't believe how fluid and usable this little macbook air is. A windows laptops with these specs would perform like absolute fucking garbage AND wouldn't have features like bash/decent terminal.

tl;dr Coming from an Apple hater, yes they're super user friendly. best in class touchpad too. I wouldn't recommend you spend your money on one because they're still overpriced. But yeah. if you get one for free I'd opt to keep it like i did.

just because your mother is a coal burner doesn't mean every woman is.

The fact of the matter is that when you buy a Macbook you're buying it because of the really coherent operating system, and how well it works with the hardware inside the Macbook (amazing touchpad, pretty good keyboard, function keys providing useful functions). If you're in the consumer market for a laptop your only other options are shit ugly laptops that run Windows 10 and drain your battery life, and provide you with anything but a coherent experience.

Apple gets a lot of flack (for good reason) but they managed to take Unix, make their own proprietary, consumer friendly spin on the system and, most importantly, they integrated their hardware very well with the whole operating system.

When you buy a Macbook you know that the whole operating system it runs on has been designed with the inputs you interact with it (touchpad/keyboard) heavily in mind. Not to mention the operating system is intuitive to navigate for tech retards and is still bearable for everyone else.

When you buy any other laptop it comes loaded with Windows 10 which in most cases has zero (0) consideration for the hardware you'll be using it with. Maybe the manufacture might give you some really shit touchpad gesture software that Pajeet spent 10 days whipping up, but other than that all they do is load it up with bloatware and sell it to you.

The Macbook lineup is FAR from perfect...
>decent specs for the price you pay
>get rid of the ugly bezels
>change the ugly '2006 first iPhone design'
>make it a bit thicker in favour of way more battery life
>provide decent fucking IO instead of two USB-C ports and shilling dongles
>make the hardware a little more accessible to maintenance/replacing/upgrading parts
>and a bunch more shit
...but they've managed to make something which beats the extensive bunch of shit Windows based laptops which is enough to make them 'the winner'

The original argument was about the users being inept, which I just proved they are not. Based on your reply it looks like your a windows user or at least an anti-apple poster, either of which just proves my point even further that you can't comprehend a single article and thread.

how much you got paid for this post, shill?

You're embarassing.

your blatant shilling is embarrassing, you daft cunt.

I think this girl is too young to vlog

>are they really that user friendly
Oh yes. Light years ahead of Windows in terms of being usable (and pleasant to use) by normies. Click on one big icon, get right to work. So simple your grandmother could do it. No dicking around with Windows updates, trying to figure out how to disable Cortana, corrupt registries, defragging tools, slow boot-up times, slow loading of programs, unwanted toolbars/programs/viruses/malware/spyware/adware being installed, etc.

It just works and that's what most normies want

I'm not even him. He posted multiple good points and a rational thought out post and you're so butthurt you can't even post one point.

>corrupt registries
>defragging
>slow boot up
Fucking hell, are you stuck in 05?

kek'd
underated post.

don't forget pic related, no one wants to deal with this shit

she's a coalburner

A handful of hipster developers that can't hack it in a Windows or Linux environment don't negate the millions upon millions of morons who don't give a shit about Apple scaling back features or lowering build quality and performance while bilking them of every last dime. You might have had an argument when Jobs was still alive but now it's nothing more than a status symbol aging like milk in the sun.

>Windows doesn't have slow boot-up times
Okay, now I'm sure you've never used another operating system.

If you have a free Macbook Air, don't waste your money on a Macbook Pro. It's a pile of shit with nothing "Pro" about it anymore except a gimmicky piece of shit touch bar.

>le jobs meme

articles.latimes.com/1998/may/11/business/fi-48540

>Wait, did I really say "no floppy"? I did. This is probably the biggest gamble. Third-party vendors will no doubt develop a floppy that will attach via one of the iMac's universal serial bus ports for connecting peripheral devices. (USB is a successor to a range of ports used previously on PCs and Macs.) My guess is that Apple is wrong about home users--most will still want a floppy (or zip drive) and will have to buy an add-on.

macworld.com/article/1133334/original_imac.html

Considering all these amenities, the most shocking part of the iMac isn’t what it offers, but what it lacks. The iMac has no floppy drive, which might be forgivable if there were a Zip drive or other removable-media option, but there isn’t.

And most dramatically, this new consumer offering has no SCSI port, no standard serial ports, and no ADB ports. Apple has opted to replace these familiar connections with USB, a high-speed serial architecture that has suffered from slow adoption on the Wintel platform despite its technical advantages (see the sidebar “USB: Ready for Prime Time?”). Currently, no USB devices exist for the Mac.

Not super worried about the touch bar. I just want something with a little more power, flexible and options than the Macbook Air.

I don't have plans any time to buy a Macbook pro. They're expensive and my uses are just fine with the Air.

But a 1366x768 screen won't cut it forever. this little 11" air is great to bring to work but when I'm at home wanting to maybe watch some japanese cartoons or look at pictures or just want to program and get shit done a tad quicker on a bigger screen and keyboard, i'd like to have the option to.

But there's an equal chance I'll just build a cheap PC and throw arch on it. But after getting the experience of that macbook it almost feels wrong to think about not getting another one. I'm 3 days in and have had a more comfy experience than I ever would have though.

I guess after so long you grow out of being so close minded. And no amount of activision is going to stop privacy invasion at this point. My only hope of keeping my privacy is to disconnect from all cellular and internet activities. I'm not giving up on it, but I'm not going to hinder my life and experience supporting something that will never return in my life time.

Macbooks peaked at the late 2013 MBPr, from then on it the company's taken a nosedive with one retarded, "bold" design decision after the other that come off as nothing more than PR stunts at this point. I wouldn't expect any change anytime soon, unless they really fall on their face with sales figures.

This is true, especially with how fucked up every Windows after Windows 7 has been. There is very widespread discontent with Windows 10, no one is really happy with it, even people that have no idea about all of the privacy fuck ups. Microsoft has been making software decisions how Apple has been making hardware decisions in the last couple of years. I really just can't fucking understand how updates are still such a long-winded process in Windows 10, it can't be this hard, it's worse than Windows 7 or XP.

Don't buy a Touchbar MBP if you plan to install Linux. It has no escape key.

not even normalfags want to deal with windows anymore, and the only alternative they're aware of is mac os
while linux is gaining popularity, it's still far from a household name, not to mention you can't go to any computer store and pick up a machine running linux (unless you count chromebooks or anything running android)

thanks for the heads up but I ended up buying a TouchBar rMBP I'm just gonna get it next year when the price drops a little bit. I heard that macbooks don't have the best linux support either especially retina versions.

Either way if I buy another Apple product I'd leave OSX on it. But I rarely have windows on any devices and currently only use the macbook air and my OnePlus 3. i'm not overly concerned about much right now. I have a laptop and a phone. I'm solid until either of them shits the bed.

Because macbooks all have the same OS.

>neo-Sup Forums

>I ended up buying a TouchBar rMBP I'm just gonna get it next year
So you ended up not buying one?
>I heard that macbooks don't have the best linux support either especially retina versions.
If you want to run Linux, don't buy one with a dedicated GPU because it requires occult magic to disable that fucking thing. If you don't disable it, Linux will always use it (Optimus on Linux never ever) and kill your battery very fast. You don't need one anyways. Also, Linux support is on paper acceptable, it's just a lot of painful setup to get all of the basic shit working. There are some features that will never work on Linux, like the webcam, and you can probably count the touchbar in on that since no one's going to bother with it, but i found that acceptable. However even getting the Broadcom wifi working isn't all that easy and you might have to get a Thunderbolt to LAN adapter for the setup. Once you've got everything set up, it's slightly below average when it comes to linux support.

Just as an example, getting the media keys to control the screen backlight required me to write a script that directly echos numbers to a /proc/ file, same for the keyboard backlight, since none of the established methods worked out of the box.

>Open MacBook for first time
>It boots up on its own
Don't know if this is genius or retarded

Sorry I meant to type
>If I end up buying a touchbar rMBP I'll just get it next year when it's cheaper

Still getting used to this chiclet/butterfly keyboard. Trying not to type as hard as I'm used to with domed and heavy mechanical keyboards.

That sounds like a lot of bullshit. Even though after all was said and done with building and constantly fixing and scripting arch to have a fun riced desktop experience, I'm finding mac to be much more pleasurable. Although I've got a long way to go before I have 'fluency' with what the mac has to offer I still am already up to the productively level I was with arch. Which was fairly high. Spotlight search is an excellent replacement to dmenu which really speeds up how fast I move around here.

the only thing I could ask for would be an unlocked window manager so I could tile properly. But after finding out that I can't go below a specific window size preset in the interface builder, I think Divvy would suffice for the time being. I GUESS.

that's my main nitpick is not having as much control over my window manager.

I'm using a late 2015 rMBP and feels good to have usb 3 ports, HDMI, SD card reader and an escape key

But yeah, I really don't understand all their "bold" design decisions. Surely they'd have teams of people working analysing market trends, looking for what people want - yet they somehow make their devices shitter every time, I guess because people will still buy them

I guess it's just business on their end; if they can cut down costs of manufacturing, give consumers a decent product, force them to buy a bunch of 'cheap to manufacture, easily breakable, easy to overcharge™' dongles AND still own the laptop market pretty much purely due to their OS and touchpad... why would they waste money adding new features?

They're being somewhat forced into making their phones better because Samsung is actually doing cool shit, Google is just 99.95% cloning their phones, reducing price by a couple hundred $$ and selling them with stock Android and then you have companies like One Plus giving decent alternatives for half the price.

Apparently their next phone will be all glass, no button, and their using their haptic feedback shit to mimmic button press anywhere on the screen, buuuut Samsung is apparently doing the exact same thing, six months earlier and likely a tiny bit cheaper.

Problem is that with phones Android is pretty much better than iOS at this point, so people can actually create competition. Where as macOS is infinitely better than Windows 10 so they don't really have a fire lit under their asses

This. After seeing what OSX can do first hand with shitty specs and having experience first hand with a wide range of phones between google, motorola, apple, samsung and OnePlus, I'm fairly convinced on what you just said.

Apple produces far superior products for the desktop and mobile computing platforms but falls quite short in technology, availability and affordability in the mobile phone department.

If I had to make a prediction is that Android wins the mobile market, Apples falls here and seemlessly integrates their data to iPhone apps. Apple takes over the desktop/laptop PC market releasing a slightly wider and more affordable range of devices. While microsoft still offers Windows on top of a linux shell it's been reduced to a large service company that deals with music services, data services, media devices like the Xbox one and home media players as well as all of their office and corporate solutions.

>can't hack it in a Windows environment

Kek

>Apple scaling back features or lowering build quality

Show me what features are being scaled back in MacOS and how the new MacBook Pro has lower build quality that the last iteration.

>when Jobs was still alive
>le obligatory steve jobs reference

Perhaps I should break it down so the children in the thread can better comprehend.

OP said Mac users are technologically inept.

OP is wrong, seeing as a non-trivial percentage of the software development and security community all use Macs.

Also, this thread is just shitposting.

>macshit
>build quality

>OP said Mac users are technologically inept.
He's right you know.

>command + space to Spotlight search gets you anything really quick with an SSD

>putting all your windows full screen, three finger swipe up to rearrange them and then three finger swipe left/right to switch between them all

>command + shift + 3 for a 'fullscreen screenshot'

>command + shift + 4 for a 'select a region screenshot'

>output directory of the screenshots can be changed with a simple terminal command

Also, if you were pretty good with Arch I'm guessing you'd benefit heavily from downloading the macOS package manager Homebrew. I've never really been an expert with Linux so packages and development are kind of foreign to me but for the people who can utilise it apparently it is fucking amazing. I think you can install a custom window manger, can install all your software through packages so you can just mass update them and have them all in one place, tons of tools for development SDKs and shit - worth a shot if you're interested
iPhones won't just go away, if they can't find an exclusive selling point to their phones to keep them popular they'll end up lowering prices, doubt that will ever happen though. But if their next phone isn't '''innovative''' they're probably going to get swallowed up by Android pretty soon.

Apple will continue to own the laptop space I think. Only way I can see Microsoft coming back is making their own exclusive laptop variant of Windows - which will likely never happen seeing as they already are winning the tablet/mini-pc area with the Surface lineup. Instead they've just left laptops for now and are focussing Apple's shit desktop lineup by making their new all in ones that are coming out and look decent.

I think we need a new player in the laptop department - Elementary OS designing their own exclusive laptops to ship the latest version of eOS? :^)

That's also what annoys me the most in OS X, especially that there isn't a fucking maximize button, and that they don't even have the windows drag-to-corner functionality, you actually have to manually grab borders of windows and drag them around. There are attempts at tiling "WMs" like this one: github.com/koekeishiya/kwm

With the iPhone i think it really is PR, they had this theme where every year there was something major to talk about with the iPhone, and it often seemed to have a positive impact, even if the thing that was talked about was negative at face value. They had nothing new, not even a forced "innovation" like force touch, so instead they just took something away this time. It's smart marketing strategy wise. At this point the iPhone isn't really a product, its a subscription and all Apple has to do is push their completely loyal following over the edge with finely tuned marketing to pay the next fee.

>Apple produces far superior products for the desktop and mobile computing platforms
Not really. Even the good Macbooks have major shortcomings. They have terrible overheating issues, especially with dedicated GPUs. Throttling, burning your legs if you have it on your lap and so on. The keyboard is slightly above average, and the average on the laptop market is fucking horrible. Performance is way sub-par, they always lag behind about 1 Intel generation. It's much more likely to be possible to install Linux on an average Windows Laptop than on a Macbook. You can't upgrade or repair anything about a Macbook. Their build quality is good, but far from the best. There's still nothing that beats a Thinkpad, and that even goes for the new ones. Macbooks generally don't last very long, especially with dedicated GPUs. Macbook keyboards aren't spill proof, and a nightmare to clean. The new MBPs have soldered in SSDs, so your data is completely lost if your motherboard dies, unless you hire professionals to extract it.

You could try Spectacle, it's a neat lil program that pretty much gives me what I want from tiling wms on the Mac

>t. mactoddler

No platform is perfect. Would like me to look up shit on competing brands featuring Windows? The fact of the matter is that for years Apple have created some of the best feeling laptops. The trackpads are second to none, gorgeous displays, machine aluminum chassis. Only as of recent have other manufacturers begun to catch up.

>let me meme so I don't have to engage in a conversation where I give a counter argument

But a tbMBP 15" love it. Had a bunch of shitty windows computers before that

>are they really that user friendly
It has nothing to do with that.
It is all about status symbol.

Buying a macbook these days is like buying a LV purse.
What good is buying either of those items if other people don't know about them.
Everyone must know about my shiny new purchase.

>where every year there was something major to talk about
Yeah, I get that
>the new RETINA display gives you more accurate colours
>a FINGER PRINT SCANNER
>FORCE TOUCH
>NOOOOO head phone jack
and next one will be
>NEW EDGE TO EDGE display, press ANYWHERE for the home button

I'm keen for Samsung's new phone seeing as they've been exploding the quality control should be insane. Google might bring out something interesting if they decide to commit to the Pixel lineup.

As for the laptop market I'd say Apple will continue to dominate and it'll only change if they do something really scummy and lose their 'credibility.' Windows is just too shit of an OS on a laptop and Linux is just too complicated for the general consumer

>Mother uses a Mac, no problems whatsoever except for the occasional "how do I do get music here?"
>Mac commits sudoku
>Get her a Windows laptop.
>Constant stream of "This isn't working" or "how do I do this and that"
>Windows needs a fresh install every now and then because the entire thing has been overfucked by malware.

Just based on my experiences with technologically challenged people using them, Macs seem to be pretty god damn user friendly.

>t. technology illiterate mactoddler

>Just based on my experiences with technologically challenged people using them, Macs seem to be pretty god damn user friendly.
People seem to be more forgiving about apple products, something goes wrong ? "Oh I must have done something"
Yet windows gets the flak for everything wrong, applications, hardware errors, literally everything "fucking windows is garbage"

Plus of course people get fed up with their ~$400 windows laptops, calling them garbage (rightfully so) and then can't stop gushing how great that ~$2,000 macbook is

>Apple will continue to dominate
Apple does not dominate at all, and they never will because of a number of reasons.
>Windows is deeply established, especially in enterprise and academia
>No low price segment of Macs
>No vidya on Macs
In fact i'd say the Macbook is losing it's uniqueness and appeal with laptops like the Razer Blade coming out that have the same look and build quality, but also much higher specs for comparatively much less money.

I program every day.

I use a tbMBP.

Incredible read/write speeds.

Great computer.

Fuck Hacker News
Fuck Reddit
Fuck g
Fuck you

I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks.

inb4 mactoddler.

why are you getting so upset ?
You don't need to justify your purchase to us. we don't care we laugh at you anyways.

>t. mactoddler

>The fact of the matter is that for years Apple have created some of the best feeling laptops.
>fact
>feeling
fact =! subjective opinion

>gorgeous displays
nothing special here, glossy IPS have existed for a long time

>machine aluminum chassis
I bet that wasn't a typo and you really think that's what people call it.

>Only as of recent have other manufacturers begun to catch up.
No, you just need to pull your head out of Apple's ass.

>t. mactoddler

I bought an iPhone 6 for my mom back then because all her friends at work had one and she couldn't figure out how to use it so I ended up returning it. I'm under the assumption that if Applefags can't figure out how to use it they believe it's ahead of it's time technologically because they blew a fuck ton of money on it.
When they do figure it out they feel a sense of superiority like they're more intelligent than everyone else thus they start buying nothing but Apple products.
TLDR: Yes it's for retards that couldn't figure out how to use fucking Windows.

I hope you find happiness in life friendo.

no U

They're expensive and sold as easy to use. Thus the customer actually tries to use the computer and operating system because of the investment.

then why come on a discussion board you goddamn retard

ITT: poorfags

I would like to buy a 2nd hand macbook just to install gentoo in it and keks

>t. mactoddler

STATUS SYMBOL

LOOK HOW MUCH MOMMY AND DADDY SPEND ON ME

I'm 100% positive you've never used anything past Windows 7. Windows boots up on $50 tablets in under 10 seconds.

thats a stupid fucking graph, the line is not going straight through the most results wtf ?