Tfw finally finding a linux distro you really like and dumping windows for good

>tfw finally finding a linux distro you really like and dumping windows for good

>tfw you're genuinly interested in distro and wanting to learn everything about it

>tfw you haven't felt this way about a computer and operating system since the first time you used one.

just wait until you have to learn how to configure everything. it'll take longer than writing a new operating system.

>implying

lies scandals and deceit

it takes longer to change the fucking fonts in Windows than it does to to have a fully-functional and properly-riced Linux distro

w8 until u need to make money, or play gaimz

>it takes long to a thing in OS1 than what it takes to do a completely different thing (that OS1 does ootb) in OS2, and this is comparison isn't a logical fallacy

If only GNU/Linux worked out of the box...

>j-j-just wait g-goy, you'll s--
>hey, WAIT! stop!
>look at all of these games, goy! and these CAD programs!
>d-don't you want a piece of them? you want to play the latest and greatest in games, right? right?
this makes the merchant cry

OP here, sorry, I meant to say "GNU/Linux distro" because I'm aware that Linux is just a kernel, included into the GNU operating system.

ad-hoc but I legitimately spent more time trying to get windows 10 to install than it took me to install gentoo.

And the sad part thing is that I gave up in the end. Couldn't find drivers for my hardware that were compatible with windows 10. My experience with windows has been the same in general

>spending hours trying to hunt down drivers on the internet
>spending hours trawling through microsoft tech support forums for basic issues that apparently lots of people besides me are having, eventually find a 100-page locked thread with the only response being “it's not possible”
>spending hours figuring out how to disable all the home-phoning spyware and other garbage

The only way I've gotten windows to work for me in recent history was inside a VM, and ironically even that isn't smooth sailing out of the box, because windows in 2016 _still_ needs driver CDs during setup before it will let you install.

right, Windows works out of the box, but in a very specific way. What I'm saying is that it takes longer to install and then customize a few things in Windows than it does to install a Linux distro and then fully tweak it the way you like it (provided you know what you're doing or you're following a decent guide)

you're delusional. have you tried messing with i3 to show your battery, or dmenu to show wine programs? or your trackpad to not be retarded? it can be impossible.

installing fonts is a pain too. i tried to get tewi font to show up via Xresources adjustments but nothing happened even following guides.

>have you tried messing with i3 to show your battery
I don't use i3, but I just tried adding it to xmobar and it turned out to be as easy as adding “Run Battery [] 10” to the list of monitors to run

i had to add

Example order: battery 0

Example format: %status %remaining (%emptytime %consumption)

Example format_down: No battery

Example status_chr: CHR

Example status_bat: BAT

Example status_full: FULL

Example low_threshold: 30

Example threshold_type: time

Example path: /sys/class/power_supply/CMB1/uevent

lovelive_type: maki

and it still didn't work

Could you repeat your post in english please?

What distro is that user? No bully we promise.

t.brainlet

I'm just confused by what seems to be copy/pasted documentation gibberish without context

The way you posted it sounds like you we literally adding “Example order: battery 0” to your config file, which would be so impossibly retarded that it would make me question reality itself, so in summary I have no fucking clue what you're trying to convey

Just ls /sys/class/power_supply and find the right device? Are you retarded?

Not him but /sys/class/power_supply is empty for me, know which kernel driver I might be missing? I have CONFIG_POWER_SUPPLY=y but none of the drivers in it

Device is an APC UPS, connected via USB cable. ‘apcupsd’ recognizes it but I don't get a neat display of battery status in my taskbar like I do out of the box on distros like ubuntu, so it must be some driver I have disabled

Problem is I'm too lazy to boot up an ubuntu livecd and check what driver they enable

it was just path: /sys/class/power_supply/CMB1/uevent

why would you need a kernel driver to see your power supply? can't it just smell the electrons?

That's an interesting case. It might be in a USB subsystem. Look inside /sys/devices. It might be assigned as HID device as well, make sure you have that kernel module.

It's definitely a recognized USB device, since ‘lsusb’ shows it under
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion Uninterruptible Power Supply

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for inside /sys/devices