MICROCOMPUTERS/MICROCONTROLLERS

Arduino?
Raspberry Pi?
Atmel?
any cool projects you guys have personally made with any of these?
are these good for learning basic electrical engineering?
discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

atmel.com/tools/atmelstudio.aspx.
atmel.com/tools/AVRDRAGON.aspx
atmel.com/devices/ATMEGA328.aspx
panelook.com/LQ156D1JX03_SHARP_15.6_LCM_overview_28721.html
hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php
grisp.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I had my rpi2 setup with a cheap usbsoundcard and guitarix for a while. I used a tool called xming and ssh to open the program and configure everything on my windows desktop. It worked surprisingly well. I'd love to try it with the rpi3 in the future.

thats cool user, I was thinking about making a simple alarm system with an ir sensor and a speaker as my first project.

Six axis sex bot.

>are these good for learning basic electrical engineering
no

electronic engineering, yes

I just ordered an msp432 to play around with. Pretty excited

If you like assembly then it's great. Arduino allows you to get into micro controllers the lazy way, which I really like because I'm lazy.

True. After ANSI C in uni Arduino was such fun. The simplicity was probably the thing I enjoyed most about Arduinos. And if you can't waste cycles you can still program them in C.

pretty good learning/hobby tool, can recommend. But get ESP8266 boards, Wi-Fi gives you so many more options for projects.

I plan on getting a wifi breakout board. I'm going to make an app to control my LEDs for maximum autism.

I just got one for black Friday. I'm planning on setting up some sort of distributed computing to get mersenne primes for shits and giggles

Err, not wifi, I meant bluetooth. I have a fever and I'm tired so forgive tardacity.

If you don't use an RTOS for a microcontroller then you are actually fucking stupid.

How would I go about making a 2-cam, day and night mode car surveillance?
New to these microcomputers.

I've seen some people build RFID reader door locks which seems like a pretty fun project.

Mostly though its to impress my gf so she'll see all the value in me and never leave me.

>not wasting cycles
>programming in C

Had a sleep/fitness tracker with an online sdk. Used an arduino and weefee shield to start coffee whenever I wake up, regardless of time.

Plex server with an external hard drive. Doesn't have the juice to transcode or even add subtitles, but having my own personal Netflix with offline-caching is convenient as fuck.

>networked coffee makers

Its like you want to be part of a botnet.

>Arduino?
Mechatronics 101 class kit
>Raspberry Pi?
Cheapass Linux machine
>Atmel?
Mechatronics 101: Arduino wasn't available for some reason

>Arduino
>Useful

ARDUINO SUCKS ASS with sensors
The analog inputs have serious fucking issues.
First thing I encountered was that most shields will fuck with the analog inputs.
Second thing I encountered is that the cross-talk between analog inputs is significant
Third thing I encountered is that you have to put in a mini-loop when sampling analog to manually clear the charge so you can sometimes maybe but not always get an often still fucking useless reading

just got an orange pi zero,sucks ass so far because the community is still small and mostly made out of pajeets or chinks,so anything you want to do is undocumented or just doesn't work

I am making a universal remote with a raspberry pi b+ for my home heaters, because japan doesn't have central heating

Then connecting that to my home server (a pi 3) so i can turn on the heat before i get home

>Arduino?
>Raspberry Pi?
>Atmel?

These are all meme-tier. Real embedded system designers just use Atmel's tools and programmers.

So what do you recommend for real embedded system engineers? I'm genuinely interested in this topic.

Use Wifi, much more flexibility in my opinion.

Use this program: atmel.com/tools/atmelstudio.aspx.

Use this thing to program it: atmel.com/tools/AVRDRAGON.aspx

Learn C if you don't already know it and read the datasheet for this chip: atmel.com/devices/ATMEGA328.aspx

If this is above you're level, try to find an online tutorial or class.

You can do this. It might make you feel smart. The reality is that people use the Arduino (et al) tools because they're actually much easier and efficient for the majority of use cases. It's just another case of a niche being opened up to the masses and inhabitants of said niche becoming butthurt that they no longer have exclusivity.

If you actually want to get a job (a high paying one) as an embedded systems designer you NEED to know this stuff.

If you just want to stick with meme-tier projects, then fine, use an Arduino.

Anyone have a suggestion for a NAS build?

I've programmed in Atmel Studio for a class in my major before, I know ansi C. I thought there's even more behind it... Anyway, thanks user, seems I learnt at least some things in my life.

I remember we made some fancontrol with interrupts and I made Snake on an 8Mhz quartzz as a personal project. Also had I2C and I2S.

That's an excellent start. You are certainly able to understand the datasheet I linked in my previous post. If you really want to understand these microcontrollers, I suggest reading it.

Dude I'm so triggered right now, you're comparing 3 different things..... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

can we have a thread about what computers are in space

My cousin is autistic. Will he be happy with a Rasberry Pi 3 or should I spring for the more advanced and prestigious Intel Edison?

Get him the Intel shit, or 5 Orange Pis.

atmega chips are way too expensive for what they offer
pretty much any ARM chip you pick has better functionality, even the dirt cheap ones

Link?

>thinking your library-using skills are somehow relevant in the industry
kek

link to what? just find the cheapest cortex m0

>implying I even know how to use a library

Anybody tried running RetroBSD? I bought a custom Pinguino Micro with a processor with more RAM but haven't gotten around to trying to install it. I just love the thought of running BSD 2.11 on a microcontroller. Going to look into LiteBSD (BSD 4.4 for microcontrollers) but I haven't looked into whether mine's compatible or not.

Can you teach me how to into BSD?

I'm considering an arduino uno + assorted resistors, LEDs, sensors, etc just to play around with and do some learning projects for fun.

I have a raspberry pi B (first gen) that was originally going to be used in a mame setup, but it seems underpowered. Are there any microcomputers that would be suitable for a mame cabinet? It's more cost and size that anything, as I wanted to make something portable

Just install OpenBSD or FreeBSD and do whatever you want to do. Remember to RTFM

I have in VMs and I always get stuck doing stupid things. PKG has problems for me and so does installing XFCE and having to edit config files for it.

If you install OpenBSD from remote sets it'll set your path to whatever server you choose, given you were using OpenBSD and the path was your problem. That was mine when I first started. As for Xfce it installed fine for me and you just need to edit config files to get better at it, you're not going to learn by not doing it, keep at it with trial and error and Google

Real men use FPGAs :^)

In case you or anyone else actually knows, what sort of FPGA would I need to run a J Core?

unless you have a specific task at hand that requires an FPGA and you happen to have enough fabric leftover for implementing a soft core processor, using an FPGA for doing the job of a microcontroller is downright retarded

educate yourself, please

>real men use FPGAs when a microcontroller would do
No they don't

Picked up a few Arduino pro mini's to act as DCC decoders for some model equipment I'm building. Would like to find something that supports 16bit audio, but it can't be wider than about 3/4" (20MM).

12V output @ 1A would also be nice.

The website says Numato Mimas v2 dev board will do it. It doesn't seem to have a list of known working hardware. It says that's the cheapest at $50.

Wow, that's cheaper than I expected. Thanks

why can't you spoon feed me?

Because we're both lazy and you want to learn about this more than I want to teach you. Plus why ask a novice user when you can google the same questions and find better answers?

I love to use PICs for these kinds of projects because of the low level ability of it. The PIC18F4520 is my personal favorite as it comes with a lot of built in functions and is dirt cheap. My only complaint is the built-in PWM register is finicky.

>I'm considering an arduino uno + assorted resistors, LEDs, sensors, etc just to play around with and do some learning projects for fun.
Same. Not sure if I'll get any use out of it, but I like programming so maybe I'll like hardware programming too.

I've been browsing aliexpress for a while, will probably order this weekend when I have more time.

I'm basically in the same boat. I just want to program something and adding hardware into the mix seemed fun.

>Arduino
>Raspberry Pi
I want one, but I only need the zero because I really have everything you'd need with one already laying around. Sadly I cannot get it yet, as no store around here, not even on the web, sells it.

>cool projects
Sure, lighting effects for my room by manually connecting over 100 LEDs to it. (I got the Arduino when I was pretty new and these cheapo LED strips weren't a thing yet - maybe chyner got inspired by my projects?). Reacts to music, so it's a literal music visualizer, all self made.

Have tried other shit as well, currently playing with the thought of creating a /mkg/ with my 2nd Arduino as it has a USB controller that can act as an HID input device (that means it can simulate being a mouse or a keyboard).

I already tried something with it, but for some reason I couldn't get it running yet. I haven't further fiddled with it though, just 2 days of hacking.

>pic
Awesome! Mirin'

Sure, as long as you're in control of it.

There is a difference between autonomous, diy botnet and coorporate botnet

How did you make this user?

>tfw Arduino is the reason why so many hobbyist components are 5V and you need level converter for everything if you want to use something modern like ESP8266 which has 3.3V like every sensible, modern system

Are there any good microcomputers with Display port?
I waant one to power one of those small laptop igzo displays they go for arround 100 bucks on ebay + the controller board, but the controller board only seems to come in displayport since the res is so high I guess.

left to right; 3x nanopi neo, 3x orange pi zero, and one parallella

just kinda messing around right now, haven't even flashed any sd cards for the neos yet.

Link? I cannot find anything under igzo

panelook.com/LQ156D1JX03_SHARP_15.6_LCM_overview_28721.html

For example. There are a few other models.
The controler board can be found on ebay by looking up the moedel number and controller board. I wasn't able to find a controller board for each panel though.

>3840(RGB)×2160 , UHD
Nice. I could really use that in a 11 - 12 inch form factor. I do not know of any controller able to handle such resolutions, either.

Programming an ESP8266 in C is a fucking pain.
Void pointers and nested callbacks everywhere.

Of course you can use it as just a serial device for an AVR, or others. Here you might want to look at the ESP14, it comes with an integrated STM8, which is also comfy to program in plain C.
All in a tiny module with the same dimensions of an ESP12.

But that's kind of a waste of the strong 32-bit ARM microcontroller inside the ESP.

hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

Odroid c2 looks like it can run 4k, But who knows how well. That and I'm still iffy on converting HDMI 2.0 to Display port....
Hell, I don't even know what I would use it for..
Cool little countertop tv or something I guess.

Not him but even I could tell that was b8

I want reddit to go and stay go

DIY beamer of course, what else.

OHP 10-100 bucks, you maybe exchange lighting for roughly the same (I use xenon bulbs), then the cost of the panel et voilà: DIY UHD 4k beamer.

Currently rocking only 960x720, but you'd really be surprised at how good that actually looks.

I really can't wait for this thing:

grisp.org/

>RTEMS OS
>Erlang VM
>Nothing else

>buying "hobbyist components"
jesus fucking christ...

Whats a parallela? And I can recommend both Armbian and their Ubuntu core, using one as an airplay speaker with Ubuntu core atm. I wish the Neo Air was cheaper, I kinda want a flat board.

Thanks for that info, I was just reading into C on ESP8266 today, only used them with Arduino so far.

Picture of your setup? Sounds highly interesting. How do you evenly distribute the light? Lenses?

>Picture
I'd love to post one, but my phone died and the only cam I currently have is the webcam on my monitor. I could make a photo by connecting it to a long ass USB extension cable, but then I'd also need to tidy up my room, which I cannot get done before this thread 404s.

Yes, the light gets evenly distributed by lenses. The lenses are built in in the OHP, the original light bulb however drew 400 watts of power and became extremely hot. So I got myself a PSU from an old computer and xenon tuning bulbs made for cars and bikes. These have transistorthingys that convert 12V (car batteries have roughly 12V as well) to something like 40000 volts or something. Then I had to saw out the old components to make space for the PSU and the new bulbs and located them below the lens. I use 2 bulbs, which I cool with a silent 12cm standard computer fan. That way I lowered the power consumption to rougly 120 watts for the light alone, which makes a really really big difference.

It's really not hard, it's less about understanding, it's more about craftsmanship and being able to disassemble a TFT screen without breaking it. It's super easy, but an overhead projector is big. It takes up quite a lot of space, but I can live with that, considering I can turn 1 wall of my room into a gigantic screen. Gaming is just magical with it. The low resolution allows highest settings all the time. Xbox controller and offblast!

I just learned how to program the freescale HCS12 for a computer architecture class. Seems like way more hobbyists use Atmel AVRs, though. Should I continue with the HCS12 or dump it for Atmel?

AVRs are much more hobbyist friendly.
Cheap, easily available in DIP, decent free tools, cheap/diy programmers.and tons of resources online.

>beamer
Hi, Deutschland!

C-can I play too, senpai?

Got it yesterday, along with another chip+hdmi shield. Just been using it for IRC atm, but planning to use it as a convenient way to muck around with SPI/I2C & talk to things via UART

still waiting for it to drop to 50$ again

>ESP8266
>Wi-Fi
>Lua
>$4 on eBay
Those things look pretty sweet. Anyone here use them?

Oops. Indeed. Of course I meant projector.

Lua is pretty awful but you can also program them in C++ with the Arduino IDE.

You could also save a dollar by buying an ESP12 and adapter plate if you have something to flash it like an USB-Serial adapter or a Pi.

It dropped to $49 about 2 days after I ordered. If I'd know it was going to take 2 weeks to 'process' before shipping, I would've cancelled the order & made a new one at the lower price :(

>Lua is pretty awful
Why do you say that?

It's fine for game scripting or similar but it sucks for embedded.
The Lua API for ESPs is also garbage.
Huge mess of callbacks because everything has to be async like node.js.

What can you say about the nano pi neo vs the orange pi zero? Which one is better in terms of hardware and software support? Thinking about getting one soon so i can cluster them.

>Huge mess of callbacks because everything has to be async like node.js.
I don't like Node-style callbacks (there are better options including Lua's own coroutines) but async is a pretty valuable feature if you want to handle socket connections with no threads. Is there a way to write async socket code with Arduino's C++ libraries?

I use my rpi as a openvpn host.

Yes through third-party libraries.

This. I dont know who turbo autists get so pissy about arduino. Lits literally just an atmega breakout board.

I'm waiting for their GPU drivers to leave Alpha and get decent fbtft support. I got a display running, but cant use pcsx with it. Wanna build a GBA sp kinda thing with it. It's the smallest sbc that runs psx at 60fps afaik.

Yeah, they are my favorites amongst the Arduino compatibles. Great stuff.

I didn't even realise it could do any 3D stuff whatsoever until after I'd ordered it :3 They just released a Minecraft PE build, because that's apparently the yardstick every SBC is expected to measure up to.

>reinventing the wheel

Fuck off and come back when you actually have a job in the industry.

Not him, and of course you'll use lots of libraries in the industry but:
>Arduino
>industry

If you want to learn something valuable for the industry, use something that's popular there like STM32s.

Working on a project where the Pi creates a wireless network with the SSID of one nearby. Currently testing with me manually setting the SSID. Looking to get it to forward packets normally to those connected so they dont necessarily know theyre connected to me before the router but I want all images they request to be returned instead with pictures of vladmir putin

Good luck with SSL and 128-bit WPA

Ill just use WEP :)

And what if desired hotspot doesn't?